Ryan's Footblog: JOULUKALENTERI 2018!

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Ryan's Footblog (PSU)

Post by Cass » 05 Aug 2014 08:55

Nice highlights!

Guiltless shred is overrated.

Trying to push for guiltless too soon can result in boring runs. Who's to say that a guay or a bubba are any easier than an infinity? Regarldess they are certainly more interesting than a paradox mirage in my opinion.

Try not to worry about ADDs so much and hit cool runs instead :)

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 05 Aug 2014 11:02

Cassy, you're right about ADDs, but if I don't try to hit harder tricks I'll be stuck doing legovers and mirages and the like forever. Certainly, less common tricks like bubba and guay expand your game in good ways, but so do drifters, whirls, DLOs, ducks, steps, pixies, etc. There's a whole world of tricks out there and pushing for guiltless is the first step to exploring it. Well, maybe it's, like, the third or fourth step. :?

Also, nice pic :D
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 06 Aug 2014 15:17

I tried something a little different today. Since all my recent drill sessions in the shredhaus parking lot have led to a lot of shouting and bag throwing, I practiced on campus today. It went very well. The surface was flatter, there was more shade, and the people passing by forced me to keep my temper in check. I worked on osis a little, did a lot of ducking, and busted out some tiltless shred whenever a big group of people passed by.

There's a lot of freshmen on campus right now, most of them living in the "Pollock Halls" area. I scouted out a lot of good places to kick there, though I think the most promising is the paved area in front of the dining hall. There's plenty of space for a circle and a constant flow of people. Even though I was fairly out of the way, I still got a few complements. I'm going to try bringing the rest of the PSU crew along next time. And a sign. We seriously need to do some recruiting this year and I think freshmen are our best bet for finding people who will stick with it.

Highlights:
:arrow: Ducking clipper b2b, x4.
:arrow: Got attention, had fun.
Ryan Morris

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 07 Aug 2014 08:27

I like that area and have thought of kicking there as well. I am not opposed to having a session in the near future. I totally agree about kicking in front of freshmen, they are the best recruits and have the most time. Props on duck jokes.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 07 Aug 2014 13:22

We'll kick there on Saturday.

Also, I figured after all the ducking I did yesterday my legs would hurt. Nope. Just my neck. :x
Ryan Morris

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 08 Aug 2014 14:00

be careful with your neck. Ive had some nights where i pushed too much and lost some sleep over it.
angeski

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 09 Aug 2014 00:38

Yikes, I can't afford to get any less sleep than I already do :wink: Thanks for the warning. I'll be mindful of how hard I'm pushing.
Ryan Morris

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 26 Oct 2014 15:31

The Shout Out Sessions continue and today's Shout out Practice sesh goes out to you!

Three reasons you're the man of the hour:

1. You were in 2 of my favorite videos of the year. Ivan Tribute and PSU Art Fest Jam.

2. You put in a strong effort at ECFC Circle Comp.

3. You were named among the up and comers in freestyle footbag and are demonstrating why.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDSemDv7LBE[/youtube]

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 19 Jul 2015 11:20

The footblog lives! Though I did stop blogging, I never stopped playing. And oh boy, do I have some updates to share.

Here's the big three in chronological order: I was offered a job at General Motors, I graduated from Penn State with a degree in mechanical engineering, and I moved to Michigan. How's that for kicking off a footblog reboot?

So now I am writing to you, oh internet savvy shredders, from my new apartment in Farmington, MI. The moving van with all of my furniture has yet to arrive, so the place is a bit empty, to say the least.

But hey, it's got wifi so it must be home. It also has a chandelier that constantly tries to kill me. I need to put a table under it or something because it just hangs out there at head-level, waiting to punish me for my poor situational awareness. But it's cool. We hang out, him on the ceiling, me on the floor.

Moving on from my personification of light fixtures, perhaps you would like to know what my new job is. So would I. I started three days ago and I'm still not totally clear on what it is I'm doing. I've had to learn three completely new pieces of software and use them simultaneously in order to look inside a controller that tells me what's going on inside a magic box that simulates what a car does. It's wacky and weird, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

The truly nice thing about this job is that I can leave at a reasonable hour, come home, and play footbag. At school I would be stuck doing work all hours of the day and night, and rarely ever had the time or energy to spare on improving my game. My new challenge is this: don't waste time now that I have it in abundance. I plan to take full advantage of my new situation and start making real progress.

One of the best parts about living in Michigan is the number of seriously cool footbaggers here. Last night, I met up with Anton Britting and Robert Lucas for an awesome session. Today there's a session planned at Zach Jahner's house and supposedly Adam Keith and David Moutard will be in attendance. I'm very much looking forward to shredding with these guys, learning from them, and competing with them. Hopefully this blog will once again be filled with stories of footbag adventures and shenanigans.

There is one last thing I must say, and I address it directly to my friends still residing in PA and the east coast, whom I will be seeing a bit less of for the foreseeable future: I'm back on Modified not just to write about myself. I want to keep up to date with your progress in both footbag and your lives in general. The members of the PSU crew, both past and present, include some of the best friends I have ever had. All of my favorite memories from Penn State are with you guys. So keep posting here, stay in touch, and let's meet up whenever we can.

Signing off for now. Let the adventure continue.
Ryan Morris

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Ryan's Footblog: The Adventure Continues

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Jul 2015 12:41

Best thing I've read all day. Glad you're liking the new life. I wish you well, buddy.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 19 Jul 2015 23:51

Nice post. Nice job! Nice chandelier.

You're lucky to be moving from one of the best footbag clubs in the States (who am I kidding, the best ever) to another great one. Good luck with the new gig, and hope to kick it again someday soon.

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 21 Jul 2015 15:30

Aw, shucks. Thanks guys ^_^
Ryan Morris

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 21 Jul 2015 15:51

Today, I had one of the best solo sessions I've had in a long time.

Highlights:
:arrow: PLO b2b
:arrow: Ducking clipper x8 (personal record)
:arrow: Toe same DLO b2b x3
:arrow: Whirl b2b x3 (strong side only :? )

Pixies seemed so much stronger today. I cleared sooooo many more sets than I ever have before, though I am still getting used to planting back into the "battle ready" position after each set. Nonetheless, I'm pretty excited to add another uptime set to my "I can to this sometimes" list.

Things to do better:
- Weak side whirl dexes need to be consistently circular, rather than choppy. I'm glad I got even a few weak whirls today, but they still lag waaay behind strong side.
- I need to stop being lazy about my diving. Each dive should have a set aimed at my neck and I must always return to "battle ready" after clearing the head dex.

I am going to keep working on these concepts for the next few solo sessions. Obviously, there are a lot of other tricks on my to-do list (drifter, atomic sets, stepping, spinning, etc.) but I need to stay focused on a limited number of things until I'm sure my progress will stick.
Ryan Morris

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2015 20:20

After seeing how close your Pixie sets were to being reliable when we played at Artsfest, Plo b2b is a great one to see from you. Push that b2b even further and eventually shoot for PLO> Magellan (Pixie ss Legover) *rpt. Other highlights are great, too. Nice job. Keep em comin'.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 26 Jul 2015 19:41

Only one highlight today, but I'm very pleased with it:
:arrow: toe op whirl > pdx mirage x2 (bsos, b2b)

Yay. Whirls are definitely getting better and I can barely express how happy that makes me. As a bonus, I hit the aforementioned highlight while "I Need My Memory Back" by The Glitch Mob was playing, right at the 4:30 mark, which is where the song peaks and then starts to wind down. It felt very satisfying.

I also did some more pixie and ducking/diving practice, but nothing amazing came of it. I did hit a bunch of ducking clippers back to back and it might have been a new personal record, but the sets were rushed and sloppy. I went back and did some more with better form––not as many consecutively, but I was happier having done a few of the best ducks I could do, rather than a ton of sloppy ones.
Ryan Morris

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 26 Jul 2015 20:29

toe op whirl > pdx mirage x2 (bsos, b2b)
Wow a highlight I can actually understand and not some crazy nickname combo like Thomas Jefferson > Davy Jones' Locker or something absurd like that. I can picture the motion and that looks like a very satisfying movement. Keep it up yo, hope Michigan is going well so far. Glitch Mob is my jam.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 27 Jul 2015 06:28

nice stuff ryan. keep at it, you look like your improving steadily as always.

props on the michigan move too. I'm glad you found opportunity out there and the hack club there is pretty alright too, you will fit in well. :D

nice stuff mang. see you at east coasts or NYJ!
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 30 Jul 2015 17:22

Today, I'm posting just to keep in the habit. Nothing super exciting today, but I had one good drill:

:arrow: toe ss butterfly > ducking clipper > pdx illusion, bsos, back to back

The real news of the week is that my left ankle hurts. Not badly, certainly not sufficient to stop me from playing, but enough to keep me from doing whirls, symp mirages, stepping, and other "high-impact" stuff. I'm not sure exactly why it hurts. It might be that I was landing too hard on my new-found whirls, it might be the jogging on dirt roads, or it could be both. It's been like this for the past two sessions, even with a rest day in between, but I'm not going to call it an injury unless it persists more than a week after today and/or gets worse. Until then, I'll keep doing shorter sessions with low-impact stuff and hold off on the jogging for a while.

Cheerio.
Ryan Morris

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 03 Aug 2015 19:49

Yesterday, I had a session with Adam Keith at the U of M campus in Ann Arbor. Not trying to diss my alma mater, but that campus is niiiiice. I think this might have been the first time I kicked with Adam, though it's possible I did at NYJ and forgot about it. He's an awesome shredder (as is known) and he give helpful advice on keeping good form with drifters and dives.

No real highlights, although I was happy to get this combo:
:arrow: osis > stepping legover

I can't remember ever stepping out of osis before. I think that's new, and very cool. Turns out, I was rocking back a little after every osis but I didn't notice until I tried to do something uptime out of it. Go figure.
Ryan Morris

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 11 Aug 2015 16:11

Here's one for ya!

:arrow: Toe same DLO > DLO > toe same DLO > DLO.

Fuck yes.
Ryan Morris