Bobby G's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bobgreen
Multidex Master

Re: Bobby G's footblog

Post by bobgreen » 01 Oct 2014 18:00

Likewise, it was very nice to see you again too. I'm looking very actively into venues that will provide a nice indoor shred spot for a large group.

Edit:
The unofficial social contract of modified is to post an image in the top post?

This one is for Cass since she self identified as an introvert (I am too).

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 01 Oct 2014 18:15

Just back from ECFC, and what a great weekend. Big thanks to Ted Fritsch, Jim Hankins, Jon Schneider, Drew Martin, Bruce Dole, and all of NYFA for hosting this event.

The first part of this post is about the ECFC weekend, and the latter part of this is about a jam that I would like to host in November. It all ties together, but this also makes it lengthy so I’ve also marked each section separately.

ECFC Weekend:

I asked my family to come with me for the weekend, which honestly I was somewhat nervous about. Kristin had expressed some concern about my availability to help out with Ruari (nervousness of being on 100% parental duty in a place as busy as NYC). Ruari is a good kid but he can also be a handful, so I thought that was a valid concern and I decided that I wanted to make a conscious effort to do something with them this weekend that was just seeing something cool in NYC. These are the goals going into the weekend: 1) Footbag-mania, 2) Have fun doing an NYC family outing.

Headed out Friday afternoon. Despite a valiant effort by both Kristin and I to get finished with work by 2pm, we didn’t hit the road until about 4:30. Ruari won out of the deal because I pulled him out of school at 2:30 pm and he got a little extra Xbox time. Made decent time down, and even with stopping for a quick meal I think we were there by 9:30 or so. Brought our stuff into the ECFC players house, and dropped it off in the back room that we shared with Mathieu Gauthier. Turns out Mathieu had crashed at our place outside of Philadelphia during the last Chilly Philly. I remembered the Montreal contingent that stayed with us, but when I read about the Joliette footbag camp earlier this summer I hadn’t made the connection that Mathieu was one of them. After dropping our stuff off, we grabbed some beer from the market down the street and then chatted a little bit with folks before heading to bed.

After waking Saturday morning we chatted with folks some more, did some tomato prep for Ted’s marinara sauce, and then made our way on the NYC subway to the Museum of Natural History.

New Yorkers are very friendly.

Seriously though, subway ride was fine and Ruari loved it. Museum of Natural History had a lot of really cool stuff, and I would highly recommend it if you ever get the chance to go. Ruari was super stoked to be at the “Night at the Museum Museum”.

The fossil in the photo above is from Lethbridge, Alberta which I though was cool because that area is close to where I grew up in north central Montana. My family used to drive up to Lethbridge once every month or two to eat Chinese food. I asked Ruari if I’d ever told him about the Fibonacci sequence and he said no. I asked if he wanted to hear about it, and he said no. A different day perhaps.

The trip from the museum to the event site took longer than expected, so we didn’t get there until about 3:30 pm. I watched the competition a little bit, and eventually started kicking. During the course of the afternoon I got to meet a ton of new people and hang out with a good number of old friends as well.

After wrapping up at the site, we caught a ride back to the shred house with Boats, Nick, and Kevin. Got a really beautiful skyline view of the city on the way back. Back at the shred house there was a great pasta dinner waiting. The logistics were such that all of the pasta was prepared on the first floor and the sauce was prepared on the third floor. This caused a constant stream of people up and down the stairs, which was actually kind of cool because it gave you a chance to talk with a lot of people in passing. I brought a little more salsa to share at this event, which also seemed to go over pretty well.

Kristin and Ruari retired to our room fairly early, while I stayed up visiting for a couple more hours. By the sounds of it, a lot of folks popped in while passing by and visited with them a bit which is really cool.

On Sunday we grabbed some breakfast and then headed over to the event site around 11:00 am or so. I got to shred quite a bit more with different folks, which was awesome. Between the two days I got to kick at least a little with with Nick Polini, Boats, Kevin Hogan, Mathieu Gauthier, April Tou, Ben Babyak, Andre, Vince Richardson, Ryan Morris, Anton Britting, Cass Taylor, and Matt Kemmer (sorry for others I’ve probably forgotten). I feel lucky to have kicked with everyone that I did, but I still missed a few folks (Marc Peralta, Evan Gatesman, Derek Littlefield, Brian Bear, and Ken Somolinos) were on that list. It was such a busy weekend that there were a couple of folks I meant to socialize with that I didn’t (Ivan Iakimenko and Dan ‘DC Clinks’). Kevin did get me an Ivan bag, which I am stoked about and just kicked with for the first time this evening.

Here are a couple of random pictures from the event:

In addition to kicking with other footbaggers, I even convinced Ruari to try kicking with me a little off to the side. I’ve offered to play with him several times at home and he has never wanted to. I’m not going to force him to play if he isn’t into it, so I was pretty excited that he played with me for a little bit.

We wrapped up a bit early and said our goodbyes just before 4pm so we cold try to get back at a reasonable time because of work on Monday (and school for Ruari). As we were leaving, Bruce gave Ruari a memento (an ECFC novice trophy for his sideline kicking) which he is very excited about. Thanks Bruce!

November Haverhill Footbag Jam (1 hr north of Boston):

I recently got it into my head that I would like to host another footbag jam. I haven’t considered it up until now because our house is on the market and that makes it quite inconvenient to consider hosting a bunch of people. I mean we basically have to pretend that we don’t live here, so I think it would be stressful to invite a large group to stay for the weekend while this house is for sale. That said, the season is ending and our contract with our realtor expires at the end of October so we are planning on pulling the house off of the market until spring. Now there is no excuse to not give people crash space and throw a dope ass jam!

I floated the idea by my Kristin a couple weeks ago that we should host an event once the house is off the market. She wondered how many people I might want to have over, and I replied that I figured we could fit 25 pretty comfortably (as defined by the standards of crash space at an event). She said she wanted to sleep on it, and the next day she told me she was down for it.

Even though I already had Kristin's buy-in, I kind of viewed ECFC as a litmus test. If everything went well with staying in a house full of footbaggers (in "unfamiliar territory”), I figured we would definitely be in good shape from a comfort level perspective as far as hosting that many people. So circling back to ECFC, thank you to everyone who made my family feel so welcome. They ended up having a great time, and are excited at the notion having you over to our place for footbag and partying.

The logistics are such that we have ample crash space at my house for a good number of people (I seriously don’t think 25 would be a problem), but it will be November and I need to figure out an indoor venue. I found a local YMCA that looked promising, but Kevin and I did a trial shred session there and the floors are concerning (slippery). Currently looking into a couple of other options, and I hope to secure something quickly so that I can formally post something on the events page. Currently thinking about November 15-16, but I need to confirm dates with a venue.

We of course would have a local BSC contingent, but I’m hoping I could tempt some of your from Ontario, Quebec, New York, New Jersey, and PA to come out. Free crash space, a couple of home cooked meals, good times playing footbag, and some bar hopping I think would be in order. Mathieu said he would be down…who else is interested?

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 02 Oct 2014 03:15

Haha! I mean, when it's your own blog you don't really have to put a photo at the top :P

I'm taking a break from events for a while but a Boston jam sounds realllllly tempting. If I could do it for next to nothing other than gas money I would definitely consider it (road conditions permitting). Of course if I make it out I will bring other Ontario players.

Actually I just googled it and it is a (minimum) 9 hour drive. It's not looking so good :x

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 02 Oct 2014 19:36

Come out Cass, and bring a carload! You will be glad you did. Drive to our area is just a tad further than NYC, it seems like you rocked that drive. I can't do anything to make the drive shorter for you, but I think we can hook people up pretty well with lodging and a fair bit of food so that it will be a cheap weekend other than travel expenses.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Oct 2014 21:22

I'll be there and I'm going to try to scoop up as many PA'ers as I can. Hope everyone tries to make it to that event. Boston is always dope.

Pleasure kicking with you and hanging out at ECFC! Hogan has been talking you up like crazy and for good reason. I could really tell you improved since NYFA 8. Your style just looks so much cleaner. Keep practicing, man. Tell Kristin and Rauri I said it was a pleasure meeting them too. Also, tell Kristin that I liked her style :D

Definitely looking forward to staying at the Greenhouse!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 03 Oct 2014 15:09

I made a whole list of reasons about why I couldn't come to Haverhill. Then I realised that I should probably just suck it up and come out anyways :P

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 03 Oct 2014 17:57

Do I hear that Cass Taylor is our next confirmed attendee? Nice! I hope you also have an opportunity to bring more FAT with you.

Visited a venue today that looked really good. They penciled us in and are going to e-mail me some paperwork to review. We are basically set, but I'm going to wait until all of the paperwork is filled out and I've made a deposit before announcing the location. I also need to make a Facebook event and post something on http://www.footbag.org. Very soon.

Here is a fun Haverhill video I came across a year or two back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb10uJBuJXw[/youtube]

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 14 Oct 2014 04:11

Most days of the week I’m driving into Boston for work, but I have been clawing back a couple days per week to rock the dual mode bicycling and rail commute. I’m taking such an opportunity right now, so I thought I would make good use of the time and write something in the ‘ol weblog.

Right now I’m 3 sessions into a new pair of shoes, and I’m starting to feel used to them. It is always hard to leave a pair of really broken in shoes, but it was beyond time for me to switch to a new pair.

Shredded with Hogan the last two weekends. Health-wise neither of us have been 100%, but I think we may have gotten some decent footage to use in a trailer for the upcoming jam. I am very excited about the jam and really want to announce the location, but I do not yet have all of the paperwork back from the venue. I sent in a deposit mid last week and I’m just waiting for the check to clear and to get a signed copy of the agreement back. They haven’t been slow, but I still wish they would hurry up. I think we got a pretty sweet shred spot and I want to talk it up.

Switching the topic to holidays, Happy Thanksgiving to any Canadian readers. To celebrate the holiday, here is a random little story. My Mom texted me yesterday to ask whether I had told my boss (who is Canadian) Happy Thanksgiving. My Mom isn’t one to bring up or discuss holidays from other places and cultures, but somewhere along the line she became a big fan of Canadian Thanksgiving. So much so that when I was little we would get a good spread for both the Canadian and the US Thanksgivings in October and November (extended family only part of the November celebration).

In the US it was Columbus Day this weekend, unless perhaps, you live in one of the handful of cities that now celebrate Indigenous People’s Day in place of Columbus Day. If you are a fan of The Oatmeal comic strip, there is a good one on Columbus Day that is worth checking out. Columbus Day is a Federal Holiday, but most corporate entities do not provide their employees that day off (on the order of 20% corporate employees have the day off). This year I was in the lucky 20% which worked out really well. I got to stay home with my son who also had the day off, but I also got to spend several hours catching up on chores/projects around the house which was really good.

The non-footbag content is just about to outweigh the footbag content, so I’ll stop now.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 22 Oct 2014 17:53

October 14th was the last time I posted, which as it turns out marked the one year anniversary of me putting on the ol’ Lavers after my long break away from the game. When I started playing a year ago, the first month or so consisted of playing one day per week, and pretty much just add free kicking. By the end of November 2013 I had worked up to playing regularly again, working on tricks/strings, and actually keeping track of how frequently I was playing. I’ll have to do a tally at the end of this November to see how much I played in the last year since I started keeping track.

I thankfully haven’t had too much work travel the last month or so, but it is just about to kick up again in the short term. Next week I’ll be about 45 minutes north of Baltimore all week, and then the week after that I’ll be back in Ohio again for a couple of days, and the week after that I’ll be back in Baltimore for Monday only. Up until now I’ve been able to look for outdoor shred locations while on business travel, but seems I’ll have to be more creative going forward. I think I know a good spot in Ohio, but I’m not sure yet where I’ll kick when I’m in MD.

I hope everyone saw the video that Kevin worked hard to put together for us. I am obviously biased, but I think it kicks ass and am really pleased with the job Kevin did on it. Check it out if you didn’t see it already!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59868O2iF94[/youtube]

About 10 years ago, I hit dimwalk squeeze. Despite this, if you asked me a month ago whether I had ever hit any 5s I would probably have said no because I didn’t feel like I could really count it because I had only hit it once and I didn’t even really play out of it. In the last week I’ve hit that trick a few more times and I played out of it, so now finally I can claim to have properly hit my first 5. One example is at 1:25 in the trailer if you are curious. I’d be shocked if others haven’t hit that trick, but I’ve never seen anyone else do it so I feel good that it is a pretty unique one.

Because our house was on the market this year I planted a very small garden which did not include tomatillos (a staple in my garden the last several years). However, in early June I noticed that some plants had “volunteered”. They were smaller than they would have been had I planted them from seed in April like I normally would have, but big enough that I thought they had a good chance of producing something before cold weather. So, I transplanted them to a location where I could provide a support structure for them to grow on, and just let them do their thing. I harvested my first volunteer tomatillos about three weeks ago and finally had enough of an excess this past weekend that we made a small batch of salsa.

This is in-process after husking, washing, and chopping the tomatillos as well as some onions and hot peppers.

The produce has been added to the pan along with some vinegar, lime juice, cumin, and other spices.

I decided this batch would be red tomatillo salsa. I’ve let it cook on the stove for quite a while, and I’m getting ready to add some chopped chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.

The final product after 'canning'.

The tomatillo plants are still alive, and I think I'll probably get to harvest one more batch from them. The tomato plants are done now I think, and the ones in the background are the last few we have left. Still have a few cold hearty items going like beets and so forth. Trying to get motivated and plant a winter garden.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 Oct 2014 21:39

bobgreen wrote:Next week I’ll be about 45 minutes north of Baltimore all week, and then the week after that I’ll be back in Ohio again for a couple of days, and the week after that I’ll be back in Baltimore for Monday only.
Sam Potter lives in Baltimore I just found out. He's also just started kicking again. Fin him on Facebook. Stoked for those salsaaasssssss. Great trailer! I've watched it several times now. See you sooner than not very soon!
Nick Polini

Funblog

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 30 Oct 2014 17:57

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Sam Potter lives in Baltimore I just found out. He's also just started kicking again. Fin him on Facebook. Stoked for those salsaaasssssss. Great trailer! I've watched it several times now. See you sooner than not very soon!
Thanks Nick, I'm stoked to see you soon too. Hit up Sam on Facebook, but he indicated he does not have shoes yet and is not in a position to play. Perhaps I'll hit him up in the future.

Skip the first couple of paragraphs if you don’t want to read about house bullshit in a footblog. I’ll mark it to keep it easy for you.

House bullshit:

Last Thursday we had an offer on our house. The offer was below what we are willing to accept but not a million miles away, so we countered. By the next day the offer fell through because it was determined that the prospective buyers do not even have funding for their original offer. That makes 3 offers in the time that we’ve had listed that have not come through. First offer was unacceptably low, second was good (but the buyers backed out while I was at NYFA jam), and now this one.

Our contract with our realtor is set to expire tomorrow. We are looking forward to having the place off the market as it is a fairly intrusive process and we’ve been at it for 6 months. We plan to pull off for the holidays and try again in February/March time frame. That said, we continue to have a lot of interest, so the realtor asked for a 30 day extension. I’m super stoked to have a houseful of all y’all who can come out during our upcoming jam, but but that would make showing the house a no-go. This was my response:
Regarding 30 day extension....we've made some plans for November based on the assumption that we would be off the market. We are going to host a very large group of people starting on the 14th, and showing the house during that time would be out of the question. If extending through the 13th is helpful we can consider that. After that I'm leaving the toaster out and hanging dirty underwear on the doorknobs.
So now we are on the market until November 13th instead of October 31st. I probably won’t have the house decorated with dirty underwear during the jam, but you never know. If you are coming, prepare yourself.

Footbag Stuff:
I had a really nice, long session this past Saturday just doing a bunch of basic drills. The weather was nice and it is the time of year that I really appreciate every session that I get to do outside. A video of some of the strings is embedded….sorry that I allowed it to go over the 2 minute mark. My game is not worthy of that much of your time, but it is useful as a self improvement tool for me to check out my form. I had no idea my right arm flails so much when I do right clippers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOCS-N4pyo[/youtube]

This week I have been traveling for work, and was really concerned ahead of time about where I would kick. Amazingly, I managed to have one outdoor session and I actually had two sessions in my hotel room. That ended up working out a lot better than I had anticipated. Mostly just drill sessions. I returned to gyro clippers, which I hadn't touched in a couple of months.

I’m going to be home just for the weekend before heading out again for a few more days of business travel. Bummed that work travel is making it an impossibility to catch the PSU Halloween jam. I hope everyone who goes to that has an awesome time. Gonna catch a quick session with Kevin while my family is doing other stuff Sunday morning. Kevin has been injured and taking time off to ensure he is healthy during our jam. He spoke with a lot of concern and frustration about injury and what it means for his footbag future in his last blog post. That shit makes me nervous…I love playing with Kevin, and hope heals up quickly and has a long footbag future in front of him.

Speaking of Hogan, he’s been busting his balls on his free time with the editing the trailer video as well as a couple of jam related graphic design projects. If you like what you see, please give him props for it because he deserves it.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 07 Nov 2014 15:55

Sucks to read that you are still having issues with the casa. Hope it all gets situated soon, so you can come over here ;) Your game is worthy of all my time, and I feel like everyone has that one flaily arm. Basics are lookin' strong, game is lookin' strong, and nice Illusions. Way to squeeze in the drill sessions. Hogan! Keep up the good footbag, yo.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 10 Nov 2014 16:48

Thanks Derek. I so wish you could make it to our jam this weekend! We hardly got to kick at all at ECFC, and I look forward to a good session with you sometime. I’m not sure when I’ll be out to Sac to hang out with my Mom and sister, but I look forward to a couple of sessions when I do get out that way.

I’ve only played 3 times since my last post because I’ve been traveling a lot for work and been busy with other stuff when I’ve been home, but I’ve been playing very well when I have played. I hope that carries through to this weekend.

At last count, we have 19 footbaggers confirmed for the jam. A couple of early arrivals on Thursday, and then most folks show up at varying times on Friday. I am super excited, and I hope we show everyone who makes it out a really good time. Christmas is coming early this year for me (and hopefully for the other attendees).

So much I could say about the upcoming weekend, but I’m in an airport on the final leg of a work trip so I’ll save it for some kind of post jam write up. Ecstatic to see everyone in just a few days!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 Nov 2014 23:23

Don't sweat it, man. Your game will be dope this weekend. Just don't get "BAPitis", which is where you just try harder stuff that you probably won't hit. I often get this when I'm around a player like Jim. I used to tend to think that my game wasn't good enough and just go for big links that I think are "worthy" enough for that BAP player to see. In the end, that always fails. Just play at your level or just a little bit above your level. Do the tricks you know you can do, who cares if they're big or not. It's freestyle. Judging by the above video, it looks like you've improved quite a bit. So, just flow like usual and you'll kill it :)

In other news, I'm shitting my britches with excitement for Shoetown Throwdown! Don't worry, I'll change britches before I get to your house. See ya Thursday night or Friday Morning (haven't decided yet)!
Nick Polini

Funblog

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 19 Nov 2014 19:37

Footbag! This is going to be a long post, but I feel like if I don’t get it out at one time I’ll have a tough time getting it done at all.

I had business travel last week that ended up extending until Wednesday evening. Got home early enough to have dinner with the family, and then off to bed. Some few hours later I am at the airport anxiously awaiting the arrival of a certain Kevin Crowley.

Kevin and I introduce ourselves and then head out of Logan to grab a quick breakfast sandwich at an Au Bon Pain and then head over to Pete Bowler’s house where Kevin can relax while Pete and I are at work. I felt bad to barely say hello, but I had to split quickly because my son had a doctor’s checkup I had to get out to attend.

I end up working until about 7:30 to get a couple of things done before my upcoming days off, and then head over to Pete’s. After hanging out there for a bit, the three of us head out to shoot pool for a couple of hours. Time flies quickly, and soon enough it is almost midnight and time to go pick Jim Penske up from the airport. Kevin and I grab Jim, and then drive an hour to my place. We figure out the bedding, bullshit a bit more, and then off to bed.

Because my work trip extended, I hadn’t yet gone grocery shopping. Kevin and Jim were game, so we went on a group shopping trip. Got back to my place, put things away, and started some chicken marinating. By this time it was almost 1:00 pm, and we were expecting more arrivals mid-afternoon so we decided to just go for a walk around my place. We walked around this small lake that I live near and then headed back home. Soon Mathieu and Ianek arrive and then not too long later Hogan and Nick come by. Friday night basement shred commences! The new fluorescent lighting worked out really well, but one side of the basement was a little dusty and soon we had a substantial dust cloud in the basement. It was definitely noticed, but no one really stressed out about it too much, so I was happy people were so chill. That first night shred was pretty awesome. I peel out from shred a little early to make sure I save my legs for venue shred, make some potato soup, and to start grilling the chicken and sausage. I snapped this picture from the outside patio while I was out cooking. It was cold out side, but warming to see my basement full of kickers.

While I was cooking, Matt Kemmer arrives. I invite him into the house and show him to the basement in case he wants to join. I think he was going to, but things may have been wrapping up about then. Pete Bowler also shows up in this general time frame, and soon we are all sitting around eating and bullshitting. Ruari got some time gaming with Jim which he was totally thrilled with.

Piper was also getting a lot of attention.

I’m not sure when they arrived, but the NYFA contingent were the next to show up. I was totally stoked to see all of those guys! Everyone was settled in and having a good time chatting, and I set out to prepare the breakfast for the following morning.

A couple of years back I learned about a dish called strata. A strata is a bread, egg, and milk mixture that cooks up as a bread pudding. It is a perfect dish to make for a large group because it is not that difficult and it can be prepared for baking the night before. In fact, it is usually better if it sits over night in the refrigerator before baking. I made one type that was broccoli cheese that I basically freestyled the ingredients on, and I made another with broccoli rabe and prosciutto where I used this recipe (the prosciutto was a substitute for pancetta):
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/parmes ... d-pancetta

Not too long after breakfast prep was done, Cass arrived. I greeted her and showed her to where she would be sleeping and then went to bed not too long after that.

The next morning Kristin (my wife) and I got up and and started making coffee and threw the strata in the oven to bake. Slow and easy morning having breakfast and hanging out, and then off to the shred site around noon.

Jim and I got there a few minutes before mostly everyone else with the intention that we could make sure everything was ready for us. There were already two guys there that I had never met (NH crew Oli Simpson and I think Erik Larson). In any event, the venue was set up for us (lighting maximized, furniture cleared out, and iPod setup), and we were off to the races with music Hogan selected for us. People were stoked on Kevin’s playlist, and stoked on the venue too.

People shredded for the next few hours, and then we held the request contest at 3:00 pm. I think every single person participated in the request contest. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen 100% participation in a contest at an event before, so I thought that was pretty awesome. It was my first time competing since 2000, so it was fun to get my feet wet there. After request contest, we grabbed a group photo before everyone split back into smaller circles.

We also snapped a couple of photos of the champs.

Another hour or so of shred, and then we headed back to my place. I had a pork roast with a jar of tomatillo salsa dumped over it going in the crock pot since that morning, so I removed the bone from that and and shredded it up when we got home (pulled pork sandwiches). Kristin had been working on the mac and cheese while we were all shredding at the event. She made a Nacho Mac and Cheese recipe that also uses tomatillo salsa, but we also kept some plain in case any folks in attendance do not like salsa. People grubbed and visited. This is one of my favorite pictures from the event.

After dinner Kristin was doing dishes and cut her finger open really deeply one one of the food processor pieces. She needed to go to the ER and refused to allow me to take her insisting that I stay at the house with the kickers and with Ruari. She sneaks out the back door with Aubrey who takes her to the hospital to get cleaned up and glued (instead of stitches). She was so stealthy, I bet most folks don’t even realize she had a mid-event trip to the ER.

In addition to capturing a lot of shred on his GoPro, Nick was also wearing it as a headband to capture some of the evening mingling. I gave him crap that the camera was at an angle and probably just shooting my ceiling all night. Soon after that, he enlisted Matt and I snapped this funny picture.

After dinner Nick went geocaching with Hogan and Ianek, and at some point later those guys returned. Nick had the idea and the means for fire hack and asked if he could get it going in my back patio. I was concerned about leaves catching fire and was feeling lazy at that moment, so I made him rake off the patio. Here is a cool picture of Hogan shreddin the fire hack.

Later that evening Kevin’s girlfriend Sarah and their friend Alan arrive. I was pretty tired by then and went to bed shortly after that.

The next morning I wake up and Kristin is already downstairs preparing home made maple donuts (essentially fry bread with maple frosting) with Oli Simpson. I slip into the kitchen too, and start the first batch of coffee. We had one strata leftover from the day earlier, so I threw that in the oven and we also served up a bit of yogurt.

Back to the shred site for noon, and we get to kicking right away. Kevin was a few minutes later than me so I started up a playlist on my iPod, and I was glad when he rescued everyone a few songs in from my stuff. We had a second single trick both sides request contest that everyone participated in again. Again, on a personal level I was fairly pleased with how I did.

About 20 minutes before we were supposed to pack it up the lady in charge of the venue tells me we could go a bit longer than 3:00 if we want, maybe even as late as 4:00. I am pleased that they allow this. I don’t make any kind of announcement, but many people continue shredding on their own.

Toward the very end, Jim came to kick with me. This was one of my favorite moments of the event. It was the two of us sometimes with Matt and sometimes with Ianek. There was only one other circle going and most people were off to the side just chilling and watching. I can’t even come close to hanging with those guys in terms of density, but I told myself I was going to have some decent length strings and I feel like I did that. I wanted to try to outlast Jim in the circle, but eventually I had to bow out respectfully because my legs were starting to feel like ground meat.

After shred there were a few goodbyes right at the event site from people heading straight out. The NYFA contingent, Cass, Jim, Crowley, Hogan, and Bowler came back to my place for some pizza. By about 7:00 pm everyone but Jim and Crowley had head out and we had a quiet evening at my place.

The next morning we got up and had one more shred in the basement! This time I mopped the floor ahead of time and it was perfect. A quick cleanup after shred, and then off to Beverly to pick up Hogan and Sarah. We headed in to the North End of Boston for a quick lunch at an Italian place, and then we had to book ass to the airport to get Jim to his flight in time. Dropped Jim off, back to Beverly to drop off Hogan and Sarah, and then back to my place with Crowley to pick Ruari up from aftercare. Ruari was already bemoaning the fact that the house would be back to normal. He really, really liked having so many people to play games and nerf gun battle with.

Another chill evening with Crowley and then an early morning drive to Logan airport on Tuesday. Two days back at work so far, and I keep finding a smile pop across my face when thinking about the weekend.

Thanks everyone for coming and helping to make this a kick ass jam!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Nov 2014 01:09

That sounds like an awesome jam! Congrats, looks like everyone had a great time. Awesome turnout. I'm sure we'll hear about it on the MetZelRio Footbag News :) Amazing to have 100% participation.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 08 Dec 2014 19:30

Hi everyone.

I haven't posted a whole lot recently, but I have been playing foot bag at least a few times a week.

When Ianek was at the jam he asked me at some point why I don’t do many butterflies. I didn’t really have a good answer for that, so I’ve worked them into my drill list so they won’t be so conspicuously missing from my game. I’ve been pleased with my drill lists the last couple of weeks. The right level of difficulty so I have to work hard to get it, but it is still achievable.

David Owen Beyers was in town this past weekend, so I had a chance to have a 3 person circle with Boats, Hogan and me. Super fun dudes even if we would have played like shit, and we all played pretty well I thought so it was really good. We played for close to 3 hours I think. We were having so much fun that numerous times toward the end one of us would ask why we were still playing, yet none of us could stop. As far as trick highlights, nothing huge from me but I finally did pixie op butterfly bsos. I also hit PLO and DLO in the same string once as well as PLO > smear. What I was pleased with was my consistency. I think I had several looks at strings > 20 contacts, and I am pretty sure at least one of them was more than 30 contacts. I want my difficulty/density to go up, but for now I am very happy to be able to make longer strings.

After shred Hogan and Boats were going to find burritos and margaritas. Oh man a huge part of me wanted to join, but I’ve been away so much for work it was more important to go home and be a Dad. I hope burritos and margaritas were good, but I’m also happy to say that I had a really nice time hanging out at home.

I think October 2014 was my one year anniversary of starting back to playing, and end of November marked one year that I started tracking the frequency I play, what my trick records are, etc. I’ll have more to say about that soon I think.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 19 Dec 2014 20:44

I’m currently on break from work for a couple of weeks and if it isn’t too preposterous to say, I’d like to think it is well deserved (been putting in unpleasantly long weeks).

Yesterday Kristin, Ruari, and I got up before the butt crack of dawn so we could head to the airport for a 5:55 AM flight. We were in Salt Lake City by 11:30 am local time. We grabbed a rental car, and then headed toward Twin Falls, Idaho where my in-laws live. Between the drive and a stop for lunch along the way, we arrived in Twin Falls sometime between 3:30 and 4:00 pm.

Tomorrow I will have breakfast with the family, and then make a solo trip over to Boise. Planning to shred with Jim and Red, then I’ll crash at Jim’s house and head over to my Uncle’s house (also in Boise) the following morning. I’m really excited to have the opportunity to play with them, but wondering how well I’ll hold up. I’ve caught a pretty bad cold that my son brought home, so I’ve been trying to take it easy and rest up. I crashed hard by about 8pm last night and slept about 12 hours. Today I’ve tried to take it easy too. Planning on getting a lot of sleep this evening as well because, damn, when you get a chance to play with Jim and Red you take it even if you aren’t at your best! I called my Uncle to warn him that I’m sick, because my Aunt is like 90 years old and I could imagine even a cold could be pretty devastating for her. She is still very sharp mentally, but pretty frail physically. He seemed okay with me still coming by, but I’ll be sure to keep my distance. My Uncle is about 20 years younger than her, so sometimes joke in my mind that my Aunt is the original cougar.

Johnny Suderman had a post today on the Freestyle Footbaggers group page on Facebook that “we're all just flow junkies", referencing this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28ps ... sm_of_flow

There were a lot of nice responses with suggestions for further from this guy named Csíkszentmihályi who is the leading researcher in this area. I hope to make time to read up on some of this stuff….I had come across his work a couple of years ago and thought it seemed pretty interesting. At the time, the small company I was working for had been bought out by a big company and our focus had changed from innovating and developing cool, new technologies to sticking with our existing stuff and trying to figure out ways to cut costs in manufacturing, etc. I know some people get really excited and can find flow when pouring over ways to make things more efficient, but I get a lot more excited to work on new things. I guess that is why I’m not at that job anymore.

Anyway, I totally agree that trying to find flow (or at least my understanding of what flow is) is one of the reasons I play footbag. I love, love, love that I can have a stressful day and then come home and kick a bag around and be so engrossed in the activity that everything else seems to melt away. It is corny to say, but I think that is why footbag can be almost a spiritual experience.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 20 Dec 2014 05:29

Flow has been on my mind ever since Johnny made that post. It's definitely one of the things I live for. I love that it can be found in so many different types of activities. Footbag flow feels so right!

Have a great trip!!

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 20 Dec 2014 06:51

bobgreen wrote: Johnny Suderman had a post today on the Freestyle Footbaggers group page on Facebook that “we're all just flow junkies", referencing this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28ps ... sm_of_flow
I definitely agree with that. It reminds me of Vasek talking about "The Tora" in The Vasek Klouda Manual. It is absolutely one of the top 2 or 3 things I love about Footbag.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges