Danny Boi'$ FootblG

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Adventures of a Newb: Dan's Footblog

Post by Cass » 23 Jul 2014 19:03

Oops top post. Here's a photo of your back cause it's all I got.

Cool blog yo.
Last edited by Cass on 24 Jul 2014 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Jul 2014 02:14

I like your blog man, plenty of thoughts on the world and what's going on rather than just how many clippers you can do etc etc. You have mentioned you work at a track. As a matter of fact "the track". What is it, like a racecourse or something? I'm sure you have probably said plenty about it, but I must have missed that bit.

I liked when you were talking about the "vibe" of different shred spots. I think that's definitely true, and sometimes you have the perfect mix of passers-by and personal space.

A big problem, or opportunity for armchair psychologists, is when these type of "clashes" come in an online forum. Unfortunately I don't see much of a quick, friendly solution, nor a civil reunion, but, they say that time heals all wounds, so maybe they will end up dating some day. Wouldn't that be a plot in the storyline....

Back to the problem, you probably wouldn't say this stuff to people's faces in a real life situation so the whole "conversation" would be avoided completely. It's been interesting about the shyness too, I am pretty similar, though for me at my first tournament I was a lot younger than most of the other guys so that was pretty intimidating in itself.

Footbag has a pretty great community so it's awesome to embrace it and get to know everyone. Good luck on your progression, seems like you're taking really big steps already!

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 24 Jul 2014 04:46

Cassy- Response photo of your back lol:

@ Dan - That's pretty funny actually because I can't do nearly any clippers yet haha. Yes, it's a horse racing track in Saratoga, NY.

Unfortunately I don't really live directly next to a bustling town or city so I haven't gotten to experiment with different session spots that much. Maybe that will change a bit as me and Matt are probably going to be having our sessions together after I work.

I definitely agree about that, I didn't want to try and sound like an expert on all those various topics, just wanted to give my opinion and try to help out a bit if I could. Ended up being asked to delete it anyways so yea guess that didn't work.

Yes that's true, I don't think this whole thing would have occurred in real life either. Age can also be a pretty intimidating factor at jams. I'm only a few years behind most people at the jams I've been to though so that wasn't such a big deal.

Thanks dude! I only wish I had more time to practice and drill. Working 6 days a week 7-8 hours a day is new for me. It's not that bad though, I'm able to get sessions in before the sun goes down fully.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 24 Jul 2014 17:29

Session:
100 toe
100 inside
Inside toe toe inside 5
Toe inside toe 10 5 bs
Orbits 20 10 bs
Legovers 10 5 bs
Atw 10 left, right leg started hurting again so I stopped here.

Is there such a thing as a normal footbagger? My next philosophical question to answer.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 25 Jul 2014 18:03

Session with el señor Kemmer today. Got a couple cool strings of stuff. Lots of jokes, was fun. Frustrating to not be able to hit everything 100% yet but that'll come with more practice. Tried to finish off with Legover > SS toe stall > SS orbit > Ss toe stall bsauce but couldn't quite get it. Really close a bunch of times though.

At the request of Nick, next week is apparently Clipper Week. Oh boy fun. Matt also suggested a session of just Clipper shit, so guess that's what I'm doing next week...

Also made a bet with nick, whichever one of us hits Nemesis Flapper first gets $20.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 26 Jul 2014 16:51

Fuck this drill and fuck your dreams Matt Kemmer.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 26 Jul 2014 17:28

I know that feeling. Just replace "couch" with "drill"...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJkhSUSnek[/youtube]
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 26 Jul 2014 20:17

When I doubt, slow down. You're probably taking your drill too quickly and rushing through it. Take time to enjoy each stall. On one hand, it sucks for you to not be able to hit it.. On the other hand, that drill will serve as a fruit of the tree for you to reach up and grab. When you have finally hit the drill, you can be sure that you've improved to finally reach that short term goal. And having proof to know that you're actually improving can be really mentally pleasing. You'll stop fucking yo' drill eventually.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 27 Jul 2014 17:37

Yea yea true. Just need to be more patient I guess. Thanks Nick and Ivan. I'll practice it a bit tomorrow maybe with my clipper session...

I saw a pair of Lavers at work today. Some guy was just... Just wearing them! White and green, no mods, no fancy lace set-up, just fucking wearing them like regular shoes! It was so weird, I must have spent 10 minutes just staring at this dude's feet. Strangest shit I've seen so far at the track...

Lavers not being used for footbag... What the fuck.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 29 Jul 2014 10:28

First Clipper session done... Frustrating at times but rewarding I think. Here's what I did:
-100 Inside stalls
-50 Toe stalls
-Inside stall >Wrap > Hand Catch x40 (20BS)
-Clipper Position > Stall > Catch x20 (10 BS)
-Clipper Hop Set x10 (5 BS, wasn't sure what to call this really, it's a exercise Matt showed me. I lift my support leg up a bit in the air and do the Clipper from that starting position)
-Clippers x10 (5 BS)

I think my left side is more "correct" at the moment, not really sure how to describe it. I can feel the motions happening better and land Clipper stuff more often with this side. Really tried to be conscious of how my body was moving and if I messed up, tried to figure out what I wasn't doing correctly. This kind of thing is surprisingly hard to do, I don't think I've ever really paid that much attention to my body movements in any other aspect of life.

I also did a few sets of drills from my other sessions, but just the usual stuff to make sure I don't forgot how to do all the other shit lol. Legovers are a lot more solid, and they aren't hurting my leg that much anymore. I'm having the same problem with my right orbits though, trying to dex with my knee leading the motion instead of just my lower leg.

Oh well, ta ta for now.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 30 Jul 2014 17:25

Session today, sister dubbed it "Footsacking"
What I did:
Inside stall x50 (20 in a row, 25 BS)
Toe stalls x100 (138 in a row, 50 BS)
Orbits x20 (10 BS)
Legovers x20 (10 BS)
ATWs x10 (5 BS)
Wrap x20 (10 BS)
Clipper position stall x40 (20 BS)

"C'mon we have alcohol to drink"

Time to watch The Cat And The Hat with sis:

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 31 Jul 2014 19:34

Incoming wall of text, pictures, videos, music, and feelings.

Session with Matt Kemmizzle today. Was pretty good for me I think. Warmed up with the normal stalls and drills, then messed with a few strings. A few highlights:

Legover > SS Toe Stall > Orbit > SS Toe Stall BSOS
5 or 6 good Legovers interspaced throughout a string of toe stalls
A few Clippers on my strong side (left)
My leg not hurting after 2 hours of footbag (This only probably gave me the most satisfaction)

Matt gave me some pointers on ATWs and Clippers, I think they will help in sessions to come. Even took a video of my ATWs to help show how I'm fucking them up on my right side, makes more sense now.

Found some chalk sticks that weren't destroyed in the storm earlier in the day. I decided to write a little message:

Matt helped with the positioning of the leg, that's nothing new lol (I couldn't figure how to draw a stick footbagger). Went home and listened to of all things some post-hardcore/ metalcore music (For the uninitiated, basically metal "screamo" type stuff), felt pretty great. Good session, good vibes, good music (in my subjective opinion anyways).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V64kWQMiO8[/youtube]

I know some people are just not into this kind of music and won't ever really be able to like it, but I think songs like this get badly stereo-typed into one big idea/thought by most people like "Oh he's just a screaming angsty teenager, angry at the world" and that really couldn't be farther from the truth in some cases. I was in a bad spot last winter mentally and emotionally. I talked a little bit with Ivan about this at the PSU Arts Jam. Not debating suicide depression but I just wasn't enjoying life that much and felt like it was a hassle doing daily stuff.

Music like this helped to get me through those times. Songs like the one I posted above convey such a positive attitude towards life and having hope that things can get better. It really gave me the strength to keep pushing on no matter what. Emphasis on the can however. I've found that in order to rise above situations like this, what needs to change is yourself and your own mentality towards life. Please don't mistake this as essentially saying "pull yourself up by the bootstraps", this is just me talking about my own personal experiences that were not nearly as difficult as what some people have to endure on a day to day basis. If someone has a severe depression problem, that's another thing entirely and they should seek professional help.

I just didn't have the right kind of outlook towards life in general, and that reflected itself in my thoughts and feelings during that time. Music, along with a number of other factors that I might have mentioned before in this blog, helped me in changing my attitude and mannerisms. I am in a much better place now and I have hope that this winter will not be as bad as the last.

If you also happen to like this kind of music, or at least didn't turn your computer off in disgust at the song posted above, here's another song that I basically had on repeat for a spell during that time in my life (to this date, it's one of my favorites in that genre of music):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D46oA5FJShw[/youtube]

Anyways, in more footbag related affairs, I put together some clips from my session yesterday and the ATWs Matt filmed. It's more just joking around with my sister but there's some kicking in it for those who like kick:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHoo2oktJWg[/youtube]

In other news, I found this beautiful treasure in my stacks of CDs today:

So yes, I'm proud to admit I've been playing Yu-Gi-Oh. And turns out this shit is hard as hell. Fighting the computer in a duel is merciless, it automatically knows every card fusion, type advantage, and strategic positioning in the game and will not hesitant to destroy every ounce of dignity you ever had (if playing Yu-Gi-Oh in the first place didn't do that :P). Meanwhile I'm sitting there with a printout of all the different possible combinations and basically just reading for 2 minutes every turn to see if there's some way I can scrap together a victory. Fun stuff. Semi-action shot:

Graphics are obviously not very stellar as it came out for the PS1 in 2002, but the gameplay so far is fun anyways.

Yep, that's about it. Will probably have another session tomorrow, I guess I'll see how things go. I'll leave this C&H comic here in the meantime:

Last edited by DC Clinks on 31 Jul 2014 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 31 Jul 2014 19:44

There was a time when I was super into post-hardcore music. Underoath is still my all time favourite band.

Have you tried mirage or ss mirage at all yet? I don't think it would be too difficult for you to learn at this point.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Jul 2014 20:27

I'm a big fan of that style, maybe I'm still just an angsty teen at heart. Are you into Evergreen Terrace at all. I really like their new album.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Aug 2014 06:54

My guilty pleasure is Brand new. Teen angst at its finest :P
Nick Polini

Funblog

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 01 Aug 2014 09:47

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJ90M5FMFQ[/youtube]

Please don't ask me how or why but this is currently my number one guilty pleasure song. I do not get the whole bronie thing but I randomly downloaded this album and kick to this song...a lot.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 01 Aug 2014 18:44

Cassy: You know, that doesn't surprise me that much haha. Underoath is a good one, though We Came As Romans will always be my favorite in that genre. I haven't tried Mirage actually, I've heard a bunch of people say it's actually easier than Legovers but I've yet to try it with any real effort. Just been focusing on other stuff I guess, I'll try and work a bit on them and Pick-up/ Illusions next week.

Dan: Ha yea, aren't we all in some way or another. I've heard the name before I think but I've never given them a listen. I'll check them out soon and report back to ya.

Nick: Brand New is the fucking shit. I think The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is my favorite album by them. My friends back at college are all super into them too so whenever that shit play we all sing it together (they're all awesome musicians and I've been told my singing voice isn't as bad as nails on a chalk board so it actually sounds pretty decent!). Good stuff.

Ben: That was a pretty chill song! I liked it. Not too big on MLP either, but whatever blows your hair back I guess.

----

Went to the mall n shit with my sister today n did some shopping surprisingly. I got a bunch of stuff, including:
-A new strathmore sketch-book (needed some high quality paper, since most of my sheets from my Drawing class sketch-pad were gone)
-New charcoal pencils (needed these even more, I was down to half a stick of medium softness and the same for hard, bleh, gross)
-Some cool graphic tank top for $6 on clearance
-A footbag (pics below, it's shit lol but still)
-Some new knee high footbag socks (AND THEY MATCH MY PURPLE OUTFIT YES)
-Book 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender

This is the footbag, was $2 at a 5 and below store haha. It's plastic filled, and too much fill at that, but it's another for the collection I suppose.

The socks I was talking about. Purple and black one pair, blue and purple on the other. Matt said Nick and I can compete for goofiest outfit haha. I like them though, can't wait to see how they feel when I have another session.

And I really liked my hair today so I'll post a pic of that too. Went for a kinda wavy, curly look. Please excuse the disgusting bathroom selfie. Sister said I looked very David Tennant-y, I'm not really seeing it judging from these google image pictures. Oh well.

And here's the fucking masterpiece of animation:

Took yesterday and today off, but tomorrow it's back to work until Tuesday (my day off). Will have a session tomorrow probably, maybe one with Matt on Monday at the library, that'd be dope.

Also, going to buy a starter pack of Yu-Gi-Oh cards off Amazon and do some battles and trades with my friend Andrew. So yea I guess it's official, I'm regressing back into a child.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Aug 2014 00:38

I fucking like that pony song.

I'll compete with you for goofiest outfit at ecfc ;) if you already thought I looked goofy... you haven't seen jack shit yet. I just realized that in my recent years, I have been dressing less and less goofy for sessions/jams. Wonder why that is. Oh well, pink and black tiger striped hot pants it is, then.

Oh and the footbag you just bought.. Join the club. Now you know you're addicted ;)
Nick Polini

Funblog

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 05 Aug 2014 15:27

Session with Matt Kemmzorz yesterday. Was pretty fucking good. Unfortunately my leg started hurting again about 2 hours in so had to stop after that. Was kind of worried cuz work was killing my heels/ankles for some reason, but it went away after I starting kicking and stretching. Couple highlights:
:arrow: Legover > SS Toe > ATW > SS Toe B-sauce
:arrow: Pick-up B-sauce x2

Worked a bit on Clipper, Mirage, ATWs, and Orbits form with Matt. He gave some pointers and exercises to help get them down correctly. Will try them out in the next couple sessions. Got some nice Legovers in a bunch of different strings though.

I wore my new blue and purple socks for the session. They felt pretty snug and a little itchy at first, but I like them a lot. I told Matt about my sister saying how they look like Sulley from Monsters Inc and he commented: "Yea, yea they do. If they skinned him and turned his hide into socks" Thanks Matt 8O.

Other non-footbag related stuff:

Got complimented on my hair at work on Sunday, that felt pretty cool. I try to put a little effort into it every day and style it a bit differently sometimes. Work-related picture, please excuse the selfie:

I've been having some weird ass dreams lately. In one a few days ago, it's this post-apocalyptic winter atmosphere and I'm with this rag-tag team of survivors. We somehow manage to ambush and get past a military brigade, suffering major losses in the process. So a small group who remained, myself included, grab some shelter in this abandoned house. Turns out there's crazy ass murderers in this house too so we book it into a room upstairs and lock the door. At this point there's only me, this random girl, and a elderly woman holed up in this dark room with some beds. I manage to somehow open the door without the murderers noticing, and kill one of them by throwing a knife in his back. After that, I realize we're hopelessly outnumbered basically 3-7 so I try to exit through a window onto the roof area. However, I get caught and have to run back inside, where this chick and I prepare our final stand with some baseball bats and baseballs. Then I woke up, so I guess we probably died or something. Weird.

In another one, I went through my daily routine; wake up, work, footbag, random shit, sleep-- for a few days. Only this was all happening like a week in the future for some fucking reason.

I bought Lorde's Pure Heroine album and have been pretty much been listening to it non-stop. For anyone who has no idea who the fuck Lorde is, she's a singer from New Zealand. Not exactly sure how to describe her music, kind of electronic pop music? Something like that. Here's one of my favorite songs off the album:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qaeoz_7cyE[/youtube]

Due to a number of factors, mainly my Mom's musical tastes and my own experiences and progression of interests, I have a pretty broad spectrum of music that I can listen to and appreciate. I think music can really have an impact on people's lives and help to enrich us with knowledge and spirit (not necessarily in a religious sense). So I consider having a wide range of musical tastes as a blessing and a benefit in life.

If anyone is wondering how my Yu-Gi-Oh videogame is going, this little piece of shit is ruining my life:

Blue-Eyes White Fucking Dragon... AKA the bane of many Yu-Gi-Oh duels worldwide. I have Kaiba beaten on the campaign storyline, but I've been fighting him over and over trying to get my own Blue-Eyes White Dragon (or 5). So the only way I've been able to beat him so far is either I get really lucky and he doesn't draw his dragons (he has fucking 3 of these assholes, as if one isn't enough), or I fuse together some monsters to get this guy:

and then try to get a power-up spell card that boosts it's Attack points by an extra 500.

So yea, not bitter or anything. But enough nerd shit, I'm out.

Cy@.
Last edited by DC Clinks on 05 Aug 2014 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 05 Aug 2014 17:56

I barely know what the Yu-Gi-Oh shit means, but all I know is I need more of it.
Matt Kemmer