"Freakin' Original" footbag club

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sqig
Hack Fiend

Re: "Freakin' Original" footbag club

Post by sqig » 24 Jul 2014 09:33

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJDavLQ4wyk[/youtube]

Here's a couple runs I did the other day with shoes on, plus one from yesterday that I forgot to put in the barefoot video somehow.

Anyways, I haven't gotten in a session yet today, but I'm going camping with hunter for a few days so we ought to get a few good ones in. Speaking of Hunter, he got a new alternating toe stall record of 7 yesterday, and he got a couple of inside stalls.

mod edit: fixed your youtube embed
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Jul 2014 11:17

Impressive dude. Your game is surprising on video... In a good way. One thing to be cautious of, is when you land your tricks, you hunch over. Try to stay standing very straight the whole time. It will help a lot with string length because you won't be off balance. Hope to see more in the future. Props on what you have so far
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 24 Jul 2014 13:23

Thanks for the advice man, I'll be working on that.
Zach Rail

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 24 Jul 2014 18:11

Some sick shit dude. Nice video too, your barefoot game is better than mine with lavers! Haha. Keep it up, props to you and Hunter too dude.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Post by shred4life » 24 Jul 2014 21:41

ARKANSAS REPRESENT! Freaking sweet! Can't wait until the Boss sends me down south. What town are you guys located in?
-Vince R

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 25 Jul 2014 05:43

Thanks for the props DC!

@Vince, we all live in a fairly small town called Vilonia, but it's real close to Conway and Little Rock in central Arkansas. But yeah we'd be super stoked if you came down and kicked with us sometime!
Zach Rail

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Post by shred4life » 25 Jul 2014 06:43

Sweet! I go by that area basically every time I'm headed to Texas. i guaranty you will see me eventually :)
-Vince R

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Jul 2014 06:57

Over joyed to read the above 3 posts. Zach, Vince is a good friend of mine. Take it from me, he's the man. Can't wait til you guys shred together
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 25 Jul 2014 07:12

Awesome dude! Can't wait to meet you!
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 26 Jul 2014 17:38

I entered my first footbag contest the other day! I submitted a video for the hot osis competition, so that'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I also started some filming for the funny tick competition so that's fun!

I had a drill session today. I don't really like people watching me drill so I walked to the other side of the camp ground to find a nice secluded area. It was a good spot except those occasial awkward moments when the rare car would pass by and I know they're wondering what I'm doing just standing around in the road by myself haha.

But anyways, after some brief warmup shred I did some marathon style consecutive drills. In all, disregarding drops, I did 100 alternating toe stalls, 100 ss clippers bs, 50 legovers, and 50 infinities, all while focusing on keeping a straight back. It definitely took quite a bit of extra focus to keep my back straight the whole time, but I know that if I keep at it then it will become easier.

I took a break for dinner, and after that I went out some some more casual shred. I hit a few good strings, but the biggest highlight was I hit a ripwalk out of butterfly for the first time! That was an ender for me haha.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 26 Jul 2014 20:06

Thanks for entering the Osis comp! That's a comp that I'm hosting, actually. They looked good man. Just keep your back straighter. You can film then again and send a second submission if you want. I'm glad you joined the community. Looks and sounds really promising. Can't wait to see where you are this time next year. Keep your crew motivated, man. If you want to get good at really stepping, once you hit flip Ripwalks, stop doing Ripwalks and stuff and just try for Stepping ss Clipper x3 bs.. It'll make your stepping sets PERFECT. Trust me. My footbag teacher gave me the same challenge when I first started out. It ripped my stepping sets a new one and I could duck them soon after. Seriously, do it dude lol and film Stepping Clipper x3 bs when you get it. Good luck, homeslice.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 01 Aug 2014 19:26

I've been having regular sessions like usual, but I haven't really had much to report until today. I did get to have a session with my buddy Arlen the other day though. Arlen used to be my most regular shred partner, but turns out he's lost his bag so he's been out of practice for a while. He was able to hit a few mirages and clippers though.

I recently got a new pair of shoes and I shredded in them for the first time today. The toes are all mesh so they're really flexible and great for toe stalls, but I'm left a bit wanting as far as the inside surface goes. It's sloped a little bit towards the inside and cause clippers to roll off a bit more than I'd like.

I also had a session in my regular shoes today, and that was pretty nice. I had a few good runs to start with, and after that I got down to drilling. I've think I'm starting to get illusions conceptualized properly (I've been trying to do them like a leg over bailed to the other toe), but I'm still having trouble getting the dexing leg out of the way in time. Surprisingly, to me at least, I was having an easier time with same side illusions because I was able to get a tighter and quicker dex than in the regular version.

Another highlight was I began to learn pixie sets today. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that hard to begin to hit pixies on my strong side, and I was able to hit a few dimwalks. On my weak side, however, the sets aren't high or straight enough, so I've gotta work on that.

On a sort of unrelated note, I ended up on my old bmx bike for about the first time in nearly two years. I probably spent a half hour trying to land a 180 rollout again until I finally hit it, albeit rather sloppily, and was able to move on with my footbag session haha.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Aug 2014 01:02

Big tip for Illusions... Do the dex you've been doing, but tuck your dex leg back underneath you after you finish the dex. That will make sure the leg is out of the way and you can land comfortably and actually play out of the illusion. hope that helps.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 11 Aug 2014 21:17

Thanks for the tip Nick! I've been working g on illusions a bit each session, and I'm starting to hit them now so that's cool.

I haven't posted in a bit, mainly because nothing real exceptional has gone down lately. Mainly I've just been trying to fill in a few gaps for that novice badge. Plus I haven't been kicking my bag quite as much for the past week or so due to some other projects I'm working on. But don't worry, I won't be putting my footbag down anytime soon haha! I did get a new clipper record for my "weak" side the other day! I don't quite remember what the exact number was, but I know it was over 35 which is my "strong" side clipper record. I guess my clippers are pretty even so that's cool.

I haven't played with Hunter in a while, but he's been telling me that he's getting better at alternating toe stalls. I also got to play with D-Mike for a bit while we were waiting for a racquetball court to open up, and that was fun.

Anyways, shred hard dudes! I know I will be. But for now I need to get some sleep.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 11 Aug 2014 21:19

35 Clippers on both sides… impressive!

Keep it going, dude.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 11 Aug 2014 21:21

Thanks dude, and by the way, I finally emailed you my submission to the funny tricks comp.
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 16 Aug 2014 18:21

I've been on an overnight canoe trip with my pal D-Mike and his friend for the past couple of days which was pretty awesome. The weather was terrific and we all just had a real chill time. Me and D-Mike got a couple of sweet sessions in as well. I did a bit of filming at a pretty cool spot by the river, not sure if any of the footage is gonna be good enough to use though. I'm hoping to put together at least a halfway decent edit for my next video, but we'll see.

I've been doing ss illusions in some strings lately, and they're really fun to hit! Still a bit sketchy though.
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 18 Aug 2014 19:30

Well today was the first day back to school. I'm a Senior this year so I'm pretty pumped about that. This first semester seems like it ought to be pretty chill, but I'm gonna have to get with it next semester.

But anyways, the first day of school naturally means the first day of our ritual after school shred sessions! It was pretty sick! Garrett, Hunter, Kyle and I all got together in the parking lot and had some fun with it. Hunter is consistently getting better with those toe stalls, and Garrett was working on a sick looking sole set butterfly. He's got the sole set and the dex down pretty good, but he just kept missing the clipper. I hope he sticks with it because that would definitely inject some sweet variety into his game and our circle sessions.
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 19 Jan 2015 12:31

What's up guys? I haven't posted anything here in a few months but don't worry, I've still been shredding hard whenever I have the opportunity.

So what's new? Well my consecutive alternating toe stall went up by nearly 200 this morning from 107 to 303. I feel like this is in part due to my sweet new lavers I found thanks to the shred shoe finder. I never realized how much that toe box could do for your consistency. I feel like I can hit as many toe stalls as I want now. It shows in my regular shred too, with longer toe strings and more consistency on flipside toe tricks.

My clippers haven't improved much however, which kinda bums me, but at the same time motivates me to get back to regular drilling. I started trying a new drill where I try to really freeze a solid clipper, then unwrap it to an inside and set into a ss clipper and repeat. I think it will really help improve my balance and coordination with my clipper. If anyone has any other suggestions for drills or challenges, please lay em' on me.

So what about non-footbag stuff? Well I never mentioned it here before, but I'm into game design, and I got my first tabletop game published a couple of months ago. I'm pretty stoked about my work getting out there! Here's a link to a review in case anyone's interested in checking it out: https://alittleoffofthetop.wordpress.co ... -kingdoms/ I've got a couple of other games in the works as well, including a video game, which I hope to release independently sometime this year.

I've also got myself set up on fiverr.com doing a few math/statistics/light programming services. Here's the link to my page if you think I could help you out with something. https://www.fiverr.com/mrgudak
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Jan 2015 17:27

Yo, fantastic you're posting again. I was actually pretty bummed when you stopped posting because I thought you quit, because I noticed your potential and your enthusiasm. Quitting happens so much these days :/ But I think part of that reason is because Modified isn't super active anymore. All the footbag talk/action happens on the facebook group nowadays:

www.facebook.com/groups/footbag

Come check that out and join in on our conversations there. Literally, footbag is now that facebook group. Kinda sad that it's on facebook, but cool that it has basically every current player and even some old school players hang out there.

Great you found Lavers! They are going to help your Clippers and Osis so much. Keep posting in here, but also, def check out and participate (post footage, comment on threads, start threads, etc..) on the facebook group.
Nick Polini

Funblog