Kyle's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog

Post by C-Fan » 24 Dec 2014 07:29

Kylescook wrote:. Any tips on rake appreciated. I'll try and post some of my attempts for critique later.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Dec 2014 08:53

Kylescook wrote:I was reviewing the level one badges and realized that the only I can't do is rake and pincher so i'll have to figure those out this week if i want to film them all before the end of the year. Any tips on rake appreciated. I'll try and post some of my attempts for critique later.
I did just die at Ken's top post.

I also have real footbag tips on Rakes..

Rakes:

1) I find that it's easiest to learn Rake from Toe opposite side.. so Right toe set, turn about 90 degrees to the right, Right toe catch..

2) It's really easy if you think about them like Clippers, just turning your foot to catch it on toe instead of Clipper.

3) Set the bag like you're about to do Toe op Clipper (while turning toward your setting leg's knee), then as you go for the Clipper, turn your foot so that you display a Toe surface rather than a Clipper surface. Then just wait a split second for contact to be made and pull your Rake through.

Pincher tips:

1) Pinchers are kind of tough at first, but with practice, you will build the strength to grab the bag correctly and strongly.

2) I'll describe Clipper ss Pincher for this.. So from right foot Clipper, set the bag, similar to a Clipper ss Pickup set.

3) Plant your initial Clipper foot pretty quickly (not like an obnoxious rush plant, but not slow either, just enough to get ready to grab the bag with your knee pit), point your knee straight down at the ground. The thigh will be perpendicular to the ground and the lower leg runs parallel to the ground. You really don't need a monstrously huge grabby motion. Kind of let the bag drop into the pit of your knee and tense your muscles, closing your leg into a tighter "V" shape.

4) The hardest part about Pinchers is usually the timing for grabbing the bag. But if you practice first with just aiming and hitting that knee pit spot like 10/10 tries while NOT trying to close your V, that might be a good start to get you used to aiming correctly.

I find some tricks are easier if you do them with baby steps. First fine-tune accuracy by letting it just HIT the surface you want to grab with, then once you nail that accuracy, try actually GRABBING.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas Eve
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 26 Dec 2014 14:52

Played for an hour after work today.

Didnt do much but drill osis and play with drifter. highlight video below. My favorite part of the day was hitting :arrow: Far Osis> SS Drifter
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyK6K6gYLT0[/youtube]
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 26 Dec 2014 17:09

No. Anyone who read the description of this sesh wasn't informed accurately. WATCH. one major highlight he didn't mention.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 28 Dec 2014 07:24

Gonna shred with Cory again today. I've got a couple things I wanna start training before NYJ. and I need to get some footage together for the Sick 3 and Sick threepeat Road to NYJ online comp. I hit Sidewalk on my flipside the other day playing so I guess im gonna start trying to figure out stepping and pixie(flipside) this week. I also have a goal to to get to 50 tiltless contacts this week. Right now my record is around 25, I know I can beat it.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 29 Dec 2014 04:00

I didnt really hit anything I wanted to get on film yesterday. Road to NYJ Online comp probably wont happen for me. I think I'm taking these next few days off to rest up fully before NYJ. See you guys there.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 29 Dec 2014 13:27

It will probably be a couple days before I have time to go through the footage of Cory and I yesterday. Ill post a video here once I have more time. Getting amped for NYJ. Couple of highlights from yesterday(more will come to me after reviewing the footage so check back).
Hit Double Pickup on my strong side a few times.
Cory taught me a few techniques for practicing Spinning.
Hit Butterfly>DLO>Butterfly>DLO all on one side but it was probably the only time I've hit DLO twice in a string.
Still haven't figured out Diving on my flip so the Diving>Ducking>Diving>Ducking drill is taking a bit longer than I expected to hit.
Still practicing Osis a lot. I really like this trick but am just not as consistent as I want to be.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 06 Jan 2015 05:51

dude, it was awesome to meet you and kick at the new years jam. i can't believe how fast your game has come in 6 months. keep at it and you'll be tiltless in no time. i need to step my game up!
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog 2015 begins here.

Post by Kylescook » 09 Jan 2015 06:16

Aaron, It was great to meet and shred with you. I'm so glad there were so many intermediate players at the event. we all learned so much and pushed so hard.

I'm not going to do a NYJ Write up. I will say that the whole weekend was just like nick and cory said it would be, Better than I expected. The finals circle was fudging nuts. So much density. We had so many meetings with the coach over the weekend I couldn't hope to count them all. I learned a ton and have a whole new attitude towards training. I kicked with so many people I don't remember everyone's game, but I definitely loved kicking with Boats. He has so much variety and his style is so fun. I made so many new friends and cant wait to see you all again soon. as far as shred highlights go I didnt really hit a whole lot of new stuff. I started working on stepping sets a few days before the event so I was really stoked to hit Sidewalk BSOS and I almost got Ripwalk b2b but dropped on the final butterfly. I don't think I did to well in circle comp, which im fine with. I didn't get last which was really my only goal in competing. I was pretty nervous during circle which is weird because i've never really been nervous when shredding. I did get some insight into how competitions are organized and heard from a few different people on circle strategy. This year will be an amazing year for me. I'm going to train as hard and smart as I can. I'll try to train everyday for at least an hour but im sure with sore legs it will more likely be 5-6 days a week. I'm working on filling the gaps in my basic 2 adds, Which really just means i'm going to be doing a ton of Illusion work. I'm also starting to train my pixies and stepping sets. I'd like to have them both midstring both sides by the end of the month. The next competition I attend, I will make it to intermediate finals, unless i'm open level by then. Below are some goals I dreamed up for 2015. Im sure the list will be modified throughout the year.

Wednesday I worked on a bunch of Basics filming some challenges Cass and Hogan had posted to my challenges page a few months ago. I hit a new drill that I was super stoked about after the challenges were filmed.
:arrow: Ducking Clipper>SS Drifter>SS pickup. repeat (I will be trying this again replacing the pickup with a far butterfly.)

Yesterday I was pretty sore so I wasnt sure if I was going to be doing any shredding but I just had to knock out some of the lvl 1 badge requirements. I made it through the first 27/37 before my camera died. I'll try and film the rest this weekend.

Goals for 2015:
[]Controlled duck-able Stepping Sets BS
[]Controlled duck-able Pixie Sets BS
[]50 Tiltless
[]10 Guiltless
[]Stepping SS Clipper x10 BS
[]Drifter b2b x8
[]Spinning gyro drill
[]Diving Ducking drill x2
[] 30 b2b Osis
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 Jan 2015 14:46

If you do Illusions forever, you can get really good at Eggs, believe me. 'Twas bangin' to get down with the coach with ya so much, and I like your taste in music. St. Louis seems rad, host an event. Dope to meet ya man, and you'll stomp those goals easy-peasy!
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Jan 2015 17:07

Derek, Loved hanging with you. your toes were like glue even in your non shred shoes. Cant wait to party some more next time.
Worked some more on filming stuff for lvl 1 badge. I still have Clipper> Flying Clipper>Toe stall, Clipper> Pincher> Pickup, and Rake x3(flipside) to get. I think everything else is filmed. I got bored of trying pinchers so I started working on some other links i've never hit before. Highlights in the video below. The spins were a first time bsos and first time on flip. the refraction was first time on flip.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVc3mxKXtvI[/youtube]
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 09 Jan 2015 19:16

Crazy, the video I just edited features a player using that same exact bag. trippin to see it in a different context all of a sudden.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Jan 2015 21:18

Which one the purple and yellow or the green blue and white.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 10 Jan 2015 05:31

I think the people and yellow, but I must have mistakeny thought it was black and yellow. Was a certain player using it at the end.of NYJ to demonstrate a few "impossible" tricks?

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 10 Jan 2015 09:05

MetZelRio wrote:I think the people and yellow, but I must have mistakeny thought it was black and yellow. Was a certain player using it at the end.of NYJ to demonstrate a few "impossible" tricks?
ooh. Now i'm excited for the edit. I'm pretty sure I was watching that. Pdx Whirr was one of them?
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 14 Jan 2015 06:07

I played for 4 and a half-ish hours with Cory on Sunday. It was pretty fun. Hit Stepping SS Clipper BSOS for the first time. Still working on controlling my osis and drifter catch and set. I've been going for Far Osis>SS Drifter Repeat, but no matter which side or trick I start on I can only make 3/4 contacts. That's going to be a really cool drill once I get it down though. another highlight from Sunday was Clipper set>Ducking Osis>Osis>Clipper>Ducking Osis>string. I'd really like to get Ducking Osis b2b for 3 contacts but that's still a few sessions away. SS Guay> SS Refraction repeat was fun link I hit a few times. Practiced spins a little bit, didn't get anymore bsos. Cory had some pretty gnarly combos, Barfly>Barrage>PLO>Drifter>RPT>Barfly and Spike Hammer>Smear BSOS were the coolest. I haven't played footbag in two days now. I'm taking the week off of footbag to rest my legs and work on my mental footbag game. I've been thinking a lot about the new concepts I want to incorporate into my game over the next month or two and shadowbagging them trying to figure out the best way to move my legs and when the best time for that dex window is etc. The concepts I'll be training hardest when I start playing again this weekend will be Stepping, Pixie, Swirl, and Spins. If anyone has any tips, advice, or comments of any kind, specific to the trick or training practices etc. they would be appreciated. Edit: Also working on Eggbeaters and DLO's. For those i'm going to start practicing Symple legovers.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 15 Jan 2015 05:50

Kylescook wrote:SS Guay> SS Refraction repeat
:mrgreen:
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 15 Jan 2015 05:56

krustykrakk wrote:
Kylescook wrote:SS Guay> SS Refraction repeat
:mrgreen:
I was thinking you might like that when I was doing it.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 16 Jan 2015 06:43

Supposed to be an unseasonably warm weekend. Low 50's (Fahrenheit) Saturday and Sunday. Will probably get an outside 3-4 hour session in both days. One of them I'll probably meet up with Cory. I'll bring my Camera and be sure it's fully charged so get ready for a new video ft Cory Allen and myself. Edit: I've been watching a lot of short videos on freestyle Football and I really want to try and practice some of that stuff next summer. But don't worry footbag will remain my main pursuit.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges