Kyle's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog

Post by Kylescook » 20 Sep 2015 12:56

Cory's friend didn't show, but we played from 10-1ish. my knees were feeling a little weird so I couldn't play too hard.
Some highlights
Far Flapper>Torque
Flapper>Drifter
Drifter>Dyno>Drifter
Driter>Ripwalk BSOS
Stepping SS torque bs
maybe some other stuff.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 22 Sep 2015 05:36

I've been doing more yoga lately. I'd like to find a way to fit it in to my daily routine since I know it would benefit my footbag game and well being all together. I took my first chemistry test last night. As soon as I finished I realized I made a Noob mistake and forgot to convert one of my data points from grams to mole's before making calculations so all the numbers on that question are off. Oh well. i'll just have to start doing practice problems more often so its second nature. I'll be retaking my first calculus test today; since most of the class did poorly on the first one he's allowing us to retake it. I had scored a 67% the first time. I'm fairly confident in my ability to do all of the problems except for verifying trig identities. But as long as he gives us one I've done before I should be okay. i'm expecting 85+%

I hurt something in my groin/hip flexor area playing with Cory on Sunday. I found it really comical that earlier the session I had done toe blurs and gravedigger no issue then when I was going for flying clipper>far legover I got hurt.

Playing footbag today. probably just tiltless>guiltless>rpt drills and atw's
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 22 Sep 2015 17:46

No that totally makes sense. I can see you hurting your groin/hip flexor doing a far legover out of flying clipper. Sometimes something doesn't work right and you like try too hard. Hard to explain, but I can relate.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 26 Sep 2015 12:00

Played with Cory today from 10-1:30.
Some highlights
:arrow: Torque>Drifter bs (working on rpt)
:arrow: Spinning Osis>Drifter BSOS (wanna hit the reverse, then drill to 5 contacts)
:arrow: Osis>Pdx Drifter>rpt (i've probably BSOS'd this before but my strong side pdx drifters were gone for a while)
:arrow: Tripwalk>Twirl (boo only one side)
:arrow: Pdx Mirage>Toe Drifter>Near Drifter>Rpt
:arrow: Drifter>Stepping SS Clipper>rpt
:arrow: Whirl>Drifter BS was trying to rpt it
Some stepping drills i've been doing lately
:arrow: Near Clipper>Stepping SS Mirage>rpt>Near Clipper>Blur>Op clipper>Blur
:arrow: Near Clipper>Stepping SS Illusion>rpt>Near Clipper>Blizzard>Op clipper>Blizzard
:arrow: Stepping Far Whip>Osis>Infinity>rpt>Stepping SS Whip>Osis>Near Down>Rpt (haven't hit this one yet but am close)
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 03 Oct 2015 16:42

The best footbag days seem to come when I need them most. It's been a pretty emotionally draining week. I failed a calc test and a Chem quiz. I woke up and spent most of the day at my desk catching up on calculus hw. Around 4 my neck started hurting from being hunched over my desk too long so I had some dinner and went to the gym.
It was a really good day at the gym. My legs were feeling fresh and I was able to finish a mile on the elliptical in 6.5 minutes.
Then I started shredding and Immediately felt like I was in the zone.
:arrow: Blurriest (first time) got it in four tries
:arrow: Infinity>Matador>rpt (i've been kinda bummed that I cant nuclear on flip without hurting my knee or hip so I analyzed it and figured out what I was doing wrong. today I hit a bunch of nukes without pain in any area)
:arrow: Nuclear muted near Whip BSOS
:arrow: Matador>Ripwalk BS (I saw Allan hit this b2b and its been a dream since)
:arrow: footed Stepping SS Drifter BSOS
:arrow: Stepping Op Crossbody Toe>stepover>Tripwalk BS
:arrow: Stepping SS Mirage>Quantum far Whip BSOS

Edit: Seems I didn't do as bad on the Chem quiz as I thought. I mean, I got all the questions wrong that I thought I got wrong, but those questions were worth only 20% of the quiz so I still scored 80%.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 11 Oct 2015 05:16

Had a great day in Columbia yesterday shredding with Derrick, Zac and Cory. My knee is pretty wrecked from chasing stepping whip drill on flipside last week, so I didn't play great. Gonna take a week or two off to let the pain dissipate and then build up some strength in that leg. Favorite combos from the session for me were Drifter>Pdx DLO bsos, and Drifter>Bubbabeater BS. It was my first session playing in G-Units so I didnt really expect to do to well. I'm a bit excited about playing with them once my knee stops hurting.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 24 Oct 2015 12:47

My left knees been pretty sore since before the session in Columbia two weeks ago. I took a full 9 days off. then played for 20 minutes on day 10 and 40 on day 11. I've been playing in the G-Units Cory gave me, but their a half size too big so my toe game is lacking. Which is fine I prefer clipper anyway, spent those first two short sessions mostly just drilling gyro and spinning clip so as to go easy on my knee.

I had a pretty big mental breakthrough on Pdx Torque earlier this week. I had been thinking a lot about how dissatisfied I was with the cleanliness of every Pdx Torque I've hit, so I went through the motions over and over and over again in my head until I had a correction for every criticism I could think of. Today I hit several Pdx Torque's I was actually proud of.

Highlights:
:arrow: Clipper>Spinning Osis>Clipper>Gyro Osis>Clipper>Spinning Osis>Clipper>Gyro Osis>Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Clipper>Spinning Clipper>Gyro Clipper>Clipper
:arrow: Run with Infinity>Torque>Infinity bs x4-5
:arrow: BSOS Pdx Torque a few times
:arrow: Mobius BS (new trick for me on both)
:arrow: First Janiwalker (only once on one side)
:arrow: Pdx Mirage>Atomsmasher>Drifter (was working on repeating it but kept dropping due to shitty flip atoms thanks for the challenge Ivan)

Instaclips from today
https://instagram.com/p/9O6x9OAUIb/
https://instagram.com/p/9O9zgcAUAP/
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 25 Oct 2015 11:06

Dang dude! despite the knees, you're killing it. I also had some soreness the last few months of summer, attributed to poor timing and careless landings on harder tricks (drifter, DDs, whirls). I'd say you're a step ahead of me in most areas, so I'm glad I could give you a challenging drill.

Side note - what do you find easier, torque from clipper or toe?
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 25 Oct 2015 14:34

The knee pain definitely arose from chasing Stepping op and near Whip on flip without a really good foundation of Whip on that side

I've done way more clipper set torques than toe set, but I'd say they are of equal difficulty.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 25 Oct 2015 16:00

I had a pretty slow day at work and my evening plans fell through so I started a spreadsheet to contain all of my footbag data. I started with just attempting to make a list of every trick I've hit, So far I've added 200 names but don't have all the columns filled in for each of them, My goal is to make it functional enough that I can search by downtime component, uptime component, adds, descriptive name, nickname, starting surface, ending surface, consecutive record where applicable, maybe a few more columns as needed. I'd also like include a second page for milestone drills and track contact growth.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 27 Oct 2015 11:10

Played for about an hour and 40 min today. Warmed up with 5 minutes on the stair climber then set a new personal record of 6:10 for 1 mile sprint on the elliptical. I had planned on just drilling spin, gyro, drifter, and torque but I didnt really like how much grip I had on the gym floor for spins.

Some stuff I hit
SS mirage>Tap>rpt>rpt
Far Symp Whip B2B (new link)
Reverse Mullet Sauced (new on one side)
Ducking Symp Rev Whirling Rake (reverse mullet rake)(new)(edit: didn't realize until talking to Cory but this might be my first six add that's cool I guess.)
Zulu Symp Whip BS (new)
I was pleased to see that I can do symp whips without pain on flip
I Hit a few more blenders today still not very good though
I hit tombstone a few more times but I'm still not very comfortable with it
Couple of swirls and reverse swirls on bs
Oh yeah and I hit a few stepping ducking clippers but none of them looked very good. Gonna have to really really drill a variety of stepping moves for that to be comfortable.
Another edit: I don't think about adds much. But talking about them with Cory today started me thinking. I have two potentials for my first 5 add b2b. Either pdx torque or reverse mullet. I haven't tried pdx torque b2b since grant was in town so I may be able to do that one with the torque and pdx torque work I've been doing recently. I felt pretty close to getting reverse mullet b2b today but the timings not nailed down on flip so Id really rather be able to hit more of them in a string than b2b for now.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 29 Oct 2015 08:31

the gods once said, adds are stupid just do the freaking tricks that are fun.

amazing last few updates. especially props on flipside zulu symp rev whirl, that's gangsta.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 07 Nov 2015 06:47

Thanks Hogan.
I've had two solo sessions and a session with Cory since my last post, we filmed for a few minutes but neither of us are really happy with our shred level atm. The first solo session I worked on a variety of sets. the second I was too sore to do anything but basic osis and spinning clip practice. last night I was pretty out of shape, had too many cigarettes and not enough nutrition to play to my hearts content.
Atom b2b a couple times
Toe Blur x3 starting both sides
ripwalk x11 (new record by one lol)
Ripwalk>Matador bs (Nuclear is still one of my least consistent sets)
Osis>Nuclear ss down only one side but it felt great
Far Symp Whip x4
Cleanest Stepping SS Flapper bsos i've ever had
Working on rev swirl a bit, did rev swirl, blink, and revup on bs a couple times
Rev whirling gyro toe is hard, i've hit it but I dont know if i'll be able to get it consistent
4 contacts of rubberman a couple of different times (If I can successfully have three training sessions without hurting my knee and w/o shin splints popping up, I should be able to hit rubber and blubber.)
Gyro Mirage>Tapdown (was hoping to turn this into a drill but my gyros just aren't good enough
had a run with Infinity>Flapper>Clipper Rpt to 12 contacts
Dyno>Ripwalk (really fun, I'd love to get these consistent
Tombstone>Dyno (very not clean)(first tomb to anything other than infinity and osis) https://instagram.com/p/9yTkgDgUDs/
Pdx Mirage>Tripwalk>Ripwalk>rpt for 8 contacts https://instagram.com/p/9yV6CkgUIO/
Infinity>Spinning Osis>Rpt (one sided drill) Strong side x5 flip x2
some fun drills i've been trying to get more consistent at are Far osis>Ducking Clipper>Osis>diving Clipper>Osis>rpt
Tried Infinity>Gyro Butter>Infinity>rpt (couldnt get a clean gyro butter on flip)
Far Osis>PS Mirage is harder than it should be
Footbag is so cool. shred on.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 08 Nov 2015 18:29

Had a few ideas for drills to try next session.
Whirl>Whip>Gryo Mirage>Down>Rpt
SS Down>Spinning Osis (goal is 8 contacts, i'd settle for 6 if its too hard)
Osis>Osis>Gyro Down>Rpt

I played for twenty minutes or so before bed.
Gyro Pickup more fun and challenging than expected
Gyro Guay>Whip
Dyno>Spinning Clipper bs (I figured out whats been bugging my flip dyno, Haven't totally corrected it but I know where to start)
I really like zooms from dyno and refraction.
I played around barefoot for few minutes after I was done kicking, I like doing flappers barefoot because the catch is easier but the area is smaller so I get a good idea of where I should be putting my foot for things like solestice. I'd like to hit Solestice>PS Mirage sometime, but its probably the hardest flapper link i've tried, next to flapper>torque which I don't think I was able to get.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Nov 2015 20:09

Dude, you've been killing it. Sounds and looks like you're straight up Guiltless. Props. Can't wait to see more footage. I think Pdx Torque b2b is a cooler first Fearless link, but that's just me. Just hit Twirl b2b, that's cooler than both and harder too. Krupp up the good work.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 18 Nov 2015 20:56

Kory from the Michigan footbag crew came into town for a tattoo convention over the weekend. Cory and I met up with him at the event hotel and found some space outside and elevator a few floors up. Had a ton of fun.

I've had three sessions since my last post. I've been trying to go back and hit all my fundamental drills with a giant bag as warmup.

Highlights over the last week
:!: :!: :arrow: Nuclear Muted Reverse Whirling Gyro Toe
:!: :!: :arrow: Sonic Osis (gyro spinning osis)
:!: :!: :arrow: Revup bsos (one of my best runs ever, had drifter>spin, ripwalks, some other stuff and ended on Rev Mullet)
:arrow: Infinity>Reverse Swirl>rpt
:arrow: Osis>Reverse swirl>rpt
:arrow: Inside kick>DOD (rippin was talking on facebook about trying double and triple dexes from kicks)
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Nov 2015 12:26

Nice highlights. I did motion from inside kick following on from that post.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 22 Nov 2015 08:37

Thanks Dan.

Here's a few clips from the first 30 minutes of my session a few days ago.

Been really enjoying playing with this big LED bag lately. Nice challenge.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 25 Nov 2015 12:20

Played with Cory for a bit yesterday. Wasn't a very good session. was still a little stiff and sore from my previous gym session. I did have one really good 25 contact run with Drifter>Merkon and some other stuff. I'm thinking about filming all my sessions from now to NYJ and doing a 1.5 years of footbag video with the highlights. If that doesn't work out i'll scrap the idea and just plan a well edited full length for my 2 years of footbag in July when i'll have a break from school.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Nov 2015 08:12

Cool idea about the 1.5 year video.

Great drills in the video above. No wonder you get this good. You drill very smartly. Especially well done on that Reverse Swirl> Osis *rpt drill. I did that one a lot and it really benefited me. Try to throw a Swirl in there too. Great for form and control.

Can't wait to shred with you at NYJ.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman