AdAstra's Footblog: Hopefully be back soon

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: AdAstra's Footblog: flipside and fundamentals

Post by boyle » 17 Mar 2016 00:54

It's also good to do clip>op clip>same clip and keep going along with that. Also inside stall>clipper and back again is a good variation and builds up that foot position for the clipper.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 17 Mar 2016 10:42

17 March 2016

Thanks for the advice and encouragement DC and Boyle.

Highlights and drills today:

- first Flipside far butterfly. Clipper must be coming along!
- worked on the ss and op clipper combined drill and really nailed it, got like 12 solid contacts with great form before I turned it into a random string. Didn't do this for too long though.
- regular old Flipside clipper practice. Again.
- strings
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Mar 2016 05:28

I knew your game would grow quicker than the eyes could see. I predict some really good stuff from you this year. You're a player that is going to surprise the community.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 19 Mar 2016 11:08

19 March 2016
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:I knew your game would grow quicker than the eyes could see. I predict some really good stuff from you this year. You're a player that is going to surprise the community.
Thanks! I'll keep pushing.

Not too much new today, worked on toe op toe, flip clippers, ss/op clipper drill, and far butterfly both sides just for fun. Couldn't practice long, here's why:

For those that don't know, I am a student at the University of Kentucky. When we make it to the NCAA March madness basketball tournament, our city goes absolutely nuts. There are huge parties (riots?) in the streets when we win big games past the sweet 16 or earlier if it's against rivals. Riot police are everywhere and many couches are burned. So, naturally, huge party for the game today. If we happen to go far this year I'll post some videos of the shenanigans for you all to witness. Lot's of fun.

Edit: aaaaand we lost. Bummer.

Double Edit: just for fun, this is from last year. Image
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 21 Mar 2016 15:53

21 March 2016

Spring time! Really hoping my game will take off once I can practice outside more. My apartment is just too cramped.

Also, I feel kinda weird practicing outside if there's a bunch of people around. I want to advertise the sport but I don't want to seem like I'm showing off too much, ya know? Any advice/experience would be appreciated!

Okay so practice. Today I drilled:

1. Toe op Toe. My form has come a loooong way since forcing myself to do this Flipside and fundamental grind.
2. Flipside Clipper and Inside stall from hand set/catch.
3. Paradox Mirage on both sides because I love this move.
4. Pickup both sides since I don't really have a Flipside on this move.
5. Flipside legover, orbit, ATW.
6. Worked on strong side far butterfly out of a Flipside clipper to make practicing clippers more fun. I hate how long Flipside clipper is taking me.
7. Ss clipper on Flipside and the clipper op clipper and ss/op clipper drill.

Highlights:
-6 Flipside ATWs in a row, still not great at this but it's getting better.
-new link: Far Butterfly > Paradox Mirage
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Mar 2016 17:25

Can you do far pickup (from clipper)? That one is a good is a good one to learn at this stage of your game.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 21 Mar 2016 17:38

boyle wrote:Can you do far pickup (from clipper)? That one is a good is a good one to learn at this stage of your game.
I've done Far Pickups on strong side before just randomly in strings but I've never drilled them. I'll try in one of my next practices. Thanks for the suggestion!
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 22 Mar 2016 13:08

No Practice today since it's a day off in between sessions, but I wanted to ask you all some stuff. Tomorrow I will be playing some net-soccer with some people from school and I hope to use it as an opportunity to advertise Footbag. Any suggestions for what to do? I imagine my lower level of play will still be impressive to people who don't know the sport so maybe I can wow them with some tiltless and a few 3 add stuff and maybe teach them basics. Let me know any advice you have please!
Austin

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 Mar 2016 16:54

AdAstra wrote:Tomorrow I will be playing some net-soccer with some people from school .... Let me know any advice you have please!
Yeah, don't play net-soccer with friends from school :P Only half-joking. Just don't get hurt. You're going to hate yourself if you run and accidentally rupture your achilles. If you play, don't try to hard and stretch well before you play.

In terms of promoting, (good job for wanting to, btw): Do a lot of basics first so you don't overwhelm them. Once you show them a nice amount of basics, show some dexes, like Mirage, Legover, Pickup, etc.. Then once you get through some of them, show them your biggest trick. Hope this helped.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 26 Mar 2016 17:40

26 March 2016

Mini session tonight. I've been sore since my practice and workout on Monday, which really sucks. Soccer tennis on Wednesday certainly didn't help + I'm hungover so there's that. Haha. Hopefully I'll be back to normal by Monday though for a good practice.

Today's highlights:

-Far Pickup
-Far Butterfly > Pdx Mirage
-My strong side osis is looking really good all of the sudden. Also, I kind of exaggerate the scooping motion in the osis. Is this bad?

PS: no real interest from those I showed a bit of Footbag to on Wednesday. They thought it was cool but none of them really wanted to try themselves much. Taught one of my roommates how to do toe stalls though so that's cool.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 28 Mar 2016 12:33

28 March 2016

Well, my pain in the psoas major muscle is acting up again. Monday's practice was really intense like I said before but I think the problem was a lack of rest, I need to give myself more time off after a big session. It's just so frustrating not being able to practice; I want to improve.

Today's practice:

- Clipper > Far Legover > ss clipper > Near Pickup > ss clipper > Far Legover > ss Clipper. (Hooray for fluidity on flipside. BSOS Far Legover feels good.)

- hit Whizz for the first time. This is the one that's like whirl but to an inside stall, yes?

- my random tiltless strings are much longer now that my Flipside is coming around. Question: when are you considered tiltless? Is there a set number like a 50 tiltless string or something?

- hit a new trick. Not sure what it is. Basically a Legover but stalling it on the outside surface of the shoe. Name?

- worked on some clipper op clipper and Flipside ss clipper.

Non-Footbag stuff:

Finally, it looks like I won't be headed to grad school. Good scores and a 4.0 weren't enough. I did aim high, though, and knew that if I didn't get in I could take an extra year to improve my chances. I think I'll have to work on more research and try for a spot at a major conference or something to get an opportunity to present. Otherwise coming from a school not known for my major is going to (likely) hold me back. I might be able to publish my current research as well which would be great. I'm modeling Trojan asteroids in the gravitational potentials of migrating Jovian-like planets, which is pretty cool. Orbital dynamics, asteroids, and planetary science are definitely what I want to do.
Austin

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 29 Mar 2016 10:43

Do you keep track of calorie/protein/fat/potassium/iron intake? Resting and stretching after shred are very important. But having the ingredients inside you, to heal your body are more so, in my opinion.

To answer a couple of your questions.

Do not know Whizz, sorry.

I think if you believe you are Tiltless, you are Tiltless. Personally, if you can hit ten 2 ADDs in a row, I'd call you Tiltless.

That doesn't have a name, just a variation of a Legover. I used to do ATW ending in an Outside stall a lot. Good way to keep things funky fresh.

Bummer about grad school, man. Next year will be your time. Sounds pretty badass, hope you get into the field you desire.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 29 Mar 2016 11:48

Derek wrote:Do you keep track of calorie/protein/fat/potassium/iron intake? Resting and stretching after shred are very important. But having the ingredients inside you, to heal your body are more so, in my opinion.
Funny you ask, I decided last night I was going to start keeping track of sleep, protein, and calories. I'll post some results here when I post my practice tomorrow.

Also, I don't believe I'm tiltless yet. Even though I can do ten tiltless relatively both-sided with variety, I feel like I need a higher milestone, perhaps 25 or 50.
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Mar 2016 02:03

I think a string of 20 tiltless is a good aim for the moment. I don't really like the idea of "being" tiltless guiltless etc. I think you are right on whiz. Though I think it just has one z.

Have you thought of spending some time in Chile? There's a lot of astronomy stuff happening down there and you could get yourself on some projects and get noticed. I was there the last couple of years as my wife is Chilean, I got to visit a few of the observatories while I was there.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 30 Mar 2016 09:42

boyle wrote:I think a string of 20 tiltless is a good aim for the moment. I don't really like the idea of "being" tiltless guiltless etc. I think you are right on whiz. Though I think it just has one z.

Have you thought of spending some time in Chile? There's a lot of astronomy stuff happening down there and you could get yourself on some projects and get noticed. I was there the last couple of years as my wife is Chilean, I got to visit a few of the observatories while I was there.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I'd want to go to Chile for an extended amount of time. Normally the big scopes on mountains are looking for other things. Also, don't think my girlfriend would be thrilled about me moving away :P . I'll probably end up doing research at my university and try to find a conference to present at or try to publish my current work. Otherwise I have no idea. I have a passion for teaching science but I'm not sure that's what i want to do as a job just yet.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 30 Mar 2016 12:54

30 March 2016

So I realized that I completely forgot about the Flipside boot camp. Not that I haven't been doing it, I have, but it's just become a natural part of my practice. This is probably a really good thing so that I can always expect Flipside practice which will result in a both-sidedness I can be proud of.

Today's practice:

:arrow: toe op toe (best = 46) cardio isn't great since I can't keep a normal string alive long enough for it to matter lol. I'm getting better though!
:arrow: ss clipper practice on Flipside. Still not great at this. Whyyyyyyy. It's so frustrating it's unreal.
:arrow: clipper op clipper practice but this never ends well when practicing in my cramped room. I need a place to play outside. I don't like just posting up in crowded places and shredding because I feel to show-offish if that makes sense. Ugh.
:arrow: Far butterfly > flapper. Which brings to mind a possible game. Try to build an alliterative string and see how creative you can get.
:arrow: Tiltless strings are going great. With my added Flipside I'm now hitting a minimum of about 6 or 7 moves a string. Not only that but my variety is also getting much better.

Overall not the best practice. I feel like I've plateaued with my Flipside clippers.

Also, Derek :

For the first day of tracking small parts of my diet and sleep I got:

Sleep: 7.75hrs and 8hrs the past two nights roughly.

Protein: had like 90g yesterday.

Calories: 2228 Cal yesterday.

For context I weigh anywhere from 160-175 lbs and I'm 6ft 2 or 3 in. (Damn I hate not using the metric system, ha.) Also I walk about 3 miles a day just going to class and what not, plus Footbag every other day.

Edit: also, for all the guys out there, do you wear boxers or compression shorts or something else during shred? For some reason my boxers are bothering me lately during shred. It might be a combination of getting larger thigh muscles and doing more intense tricks. Help?
Austin

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 31 Mar 2016 10:23

AdAstra wrote:30 March 2016

Edit: also, for all the guys out there, do you wear boxers or compression shorts or something else during shred? For some reason my boxers are bothering me lately during shred. It might be a combination of getting larger thigh muscles and doing more intense tricks. Help?

commando. almost always. floppy style is best.

nice progression, too.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 31 Mar 2016 12:28

h0ag3yb3atZ wrote:
AdAstra wrote:30 March 2016

commando. almost always. floppy style is best.
You haven't lived until you kick yourself in the balls. Just don't wear such short shorts that your blue diamonds are showing.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 01 Apr 2016 13:40

1 April 2016
bobgreen wrote: You haven't lived until you kick yourself in the balls.
Haha bobgreen I died laughing when I read that last night after the bars.

Practice today was awful. I need to take a day and literally force myself to do 500 Flipside clippers. (Remember when I was struggling to get 100 in a week? :D ) Still, my game surged forward on a lot of fronts but the Flipside clipper aspect has been consistently bad.

Shredded in the park today- thankful for the warm weather.

I'll probably shred again in a couple hours because I can't let my day of practice be this damn bad. Goals for a future practice and in general:

1. 500 Flipside Clippers.
2. Strengthen right calf muscle with calf raises.
3. Strengthen left quad.

These three things will hopefully move me toward a more balanced repertoire.

Also, posted in General about getting a snapchat story for worlds. That'd be sick!
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 04 Apr 2016 17:24

4 April 2016

Highlights:

- Legover op Legover rpt. for 6 clean delays then started random tiltless string for around 13 great contacts. Form felt great. This is also the Legover portion of Footbag 101 so I'll try to film that some time. Maybe even later today if the NCAA basketball championship game isn't interesting.

- drilled a bit of ATW Orbit Legover and Pickup on each side.

- drilled Flipside clippers hard today; I'm sooo determined to finally be decent at this. Hit 105 flip clippers set to various different tricks to make it a little more interesting. Also drilled clipper ss clipper on Flipside. Was pretty damn sore at this point (left glute actually). Ended up with a terrible showing in terms of consecutive ss flip clippers- by best was only 7 (I say only but that tied my PR, mainly I'm just frustrated because I know I can do better) Edit- did one last set before hanging em up and got 10 consecutive! Went for a total of 155 clippers during this drill. That's a grand total of 260 clippers drilled. Not bad. I got hype when I hit ten in a row!
Austin