North Carolina Shred - BigDirtyFoot

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 12 Aug 2008 08:35

I'm totally down for a late nighter.
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 09 Sep 2008 18:24

Ouch, my stomach hurts.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 11 Sep 2008 10:58

What did you do this time eh? 8 P
Alan Underhill

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 13 Sep 2008 16:58

I just ate way too much. How was the Maine journey? I assume you made it back alive?
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 15 Sep 2008 11:03

Well what happened was we got to about halfway between DC and Baltimore and then had to turn around because her mother called the school and fucked things up. So we turned around. Chilled in DC for about three hours and got back to ECU around midnight. Went to a party, got really high and left around 3:30am and finally got home at 5ish Sunday morning. Wasn't too bad.
I gots your 15 though so just give me a call.
Alan Underhill

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 28 Sep 2008 19:26

Wow man that sounds really intense. Glad you made it back okay. We should get together sometime in the next week or so.

Let's see, so what have I been up to... I accepted a job working at the local Apple Retail Store, which is a big move up from Staples (imho). Been reading a bit lately.. trying to educate myself on the Beat Generation... Ginsberg, Burroughs, Kerouac... it's really interesting writing and it reminds me of a lot of the late 60s reading I've read by authors like Robert Anton Wilson and Tom Wolfe. Even some of Hunter S Thompson seems to have stemmed from this stuff. On the other hand, the books can be a bit too intense sometime, as is the case with the book I'm reading by William S Burroughs right now called Naked Lunch. It deals with his experiences with heroin and being homosexual, but the way he depicts it is so dark sometimes... it'll suck me in but pretty soon I'm wondering what exactly I might be reading!

I've gone to a few concerts... I saw The Mars Volta in Asheville on Tuesday, which was awesome... second time I've seen them and it was way better. Vanguard Jazz Orchestra played in Chapel Hill and that was simply amazing, really good jazz and some really interesting ideas. I saw Mike Gordon play in Raleigh (he was the bassist for Phish) and it was a great time. I saw Wilco in Cary but I didn't have the greatest time. The music was really cool but I wasn't digging the (lack of) energy of the crowd. Tomorrow there's an opera (Pagliacci by Leoncavallo) playing downtown that I'm going to, which is pretty exciting I think. And Friday is Allman Brothers Band with Phil Lesh and Friends but I'm not 100% sure I'll be attending. Annuals plays in a month or so too, which should be really cool.

I've basically been working (way too much) at Staples and hanging out with my two best friends, one of whom works full time for AT&T and the other will soon be working for BB&T. I still can't think I might be wasting a lot of my time - I feel that I rarely get what I wanted to get completed and always feel like I'm running to catch up. I miss talking to a lot of the people on this forum. Anyways, I guess that's a pretty decent entry. I left out a lot, but hopefully I'll pop in more often to give updates. Later ya'll.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Sep 2008 23:30

Naked Lunch is such a mental book. I have basically no idea what happens in the book at all but enjoyed it anyway. I find it really hard to understand how somebody read that and thought you could make a movie of it (not that I'm dissing the movie, it's just hard to see how you could translate the book into anything - I mean I couldn't even give a detailed description of the plot, or even be sure there is a plot).

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 21 Oct 2008 16:13

Gawd damn what an awful day at work. And life in general? Overly complicated coupled with the fact that people at my second job aren't being honest with me at all - very frustrating.

Actually Jeremy I just read Junky, which is also by Burroughs, and it's sort of a companion novel to Naked Lunch, and I understand Naked Lunch a little better now. I'd suggest you give Junky a read if you have the time. Naked Lunch might be better now for me after having read Junky. And I didn't know there was a movie?

Gawd I wanna shred sometime soon. Life is too complicated.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 28 Oct 2008 16:30

So the people at my second job have scheduled me to work on Halloween, which is cool - I'm actually excited to get in there at all. I sent in an application yesterday to one of the major newspapers in NC - News and Observer. I'm going to Greenville NC for Halloween which hopefully should be crazy nuts! And tomorrow is an Annuals concert at Lincoln Theatre so I'm pretty super psyched about that because I've never seen them live.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 03 Dec 2008 18:17

Wow. Over a month passed and I didn't write anything in here at all. So... to begin where I left off, I went to see Annuals but the tickets sold out two people in front of me and my friend. So we went to a bar instead. I was pretty disappointed. Things have been going okay - I'll be glad when January rolls around though because I'm not big on the whole holiday season. Especially working in retail... two retail jobs at that! Anyone have any suggestions for someone with a print journalism degree and a music minor? I can't seem to find anything I want to write for. I still haven't even set up a website blog for myself, although that's sort of one of my goals. I've been wondering if anyone on modified still even reads my blog other than Jeremy and Alan. (Thanks to those of you that do though, that's really cool because I really don't participate as much as I used to) Maybe I've just run out of stuff to say? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 05 Dec 2008 20:24

I started a book review blog. I'd like everyone who's interested to check it out. If you have any suggestions, let me know. If you want to write any reviews, I'll put 'em up.

http://web.me.com/davidkwilder

Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch Check it out. Wha wha wha wha what's it all about?
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 09 Dec 2008 05:16

Hell yeah dude. Try reading Lewis Black's "Me Of Little Faith" if you haven't. Damn funny and really fun to read honestly.
Alan Underhill

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 09 Dec 2008 16:50

Did you know he went to UNC? I just found that out a few days ago. I'll check that book out sometime man, I've got a bunch on my reading list and a few of them are on Interlibrary Loan so I really can't turn them in late. Huge late fees for ILL books. Thanks for the suggestion though! I just added a review for a few books by Dale Pendell... one of which is called Pharmako Gnosis. I think you'd like him, he's a good writer.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 10 Dec 2008 11:33

I actually didn't know until I read it. I've got the book at my place so whenever you want to read it just give me a call.

Speaking of late fees... I think I still have The Highwayman by R.A.Salvatore still... I think I checked that out sometime in January... I might want to return that soon.

Dale Pendell, never heard of him but I'll definitely check him out.
Alan Underhill

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 15 Dec 2008 22:37

Pendell is great. I'm reading Orson Scott Card's Ender in Exile right now... will finish ASAP for a review. New site name it http://www.ddubsreads.com. Check it out!
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 16 Dec 2008 07:11

I'll be going to Memphis from Dec. 31st to Jan. 4th with a buddy of mine. We're going to watch our alma mater, East Carolina University, play in the Liberty Bowl against Kentucky on Jan. 2nd. I was wondering:

1) Does anyone live in Memphis that would like to meet up with us?

and if not

2) Has anyone ever been to Memphis, and what are some cool things to do there?
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Elliott
Multidex Master

Post by Elliott » 16 Dec 2008 10:56

sadly there are no freestylers in Memphis (only net players). as for things to do in Memphis. Beale St. is where the party is usually going on if your into clubs, dancing, or drinking. there's always Graceland! plus Sun Studio - where many musicians recorded (Elvis, Cash, Lewis, & numerous others). National Civil Rights Museum (at the actual hotel where MLK was shot). that's pretty much it & everything else it typical of a city with that population: childrens museum, botanic garden, zoo, etc.

your welcome to swing by Nashville for some shred. i've only recently gotten back into it, but Andrew Coleman & Lee Sickle are amazing open level shredders. we could organize a shred that weekend is you're up for it. we typically kick on Sunday afternoons, but if you're schedule doesn't permit, then maybe Saturday the 3rd.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 18 Dec 2008 13:22

Dude... I might actually be up to playing soemtime soon. 8 P
You down? We can call Aric too.
Alan Underhill

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 07 Jan 2009 14:46

Memphis was awesome. I was able to see Graceland and the Gibson Guitar Factory, drank a lot, and ate ribs at Rendezvous (along with a few other places).

But now I've got bronchitis. I haven't been sick since last April and now I'm pretty sick and I'm supposed to be working really hard but I feel terrible.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 08 Jan 2009 12:42

hell yeah to Memphis man. I've only driven through it...
That sucks about bronchitis though. Hang in there dude. Let me know if you want to chill anytime soon!
Alan Underhill