Jeremy

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 19 Jul 2009 01:10

That bites major ass. Guess it's just lucky you can still play footbag at least.

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 26 Jul 2009 03:36

Yeah totally.

Had a good kick with Lotus on Saturday. Actually he was feeling under the weather and didn't play that well, but I was feeling sharp and played the best I've played in ages. We were busking so didn't hit anything remarkable, just lots of good long runs. We made almost the exact same amount as last week busking, so that was pretty good despite my ridiculously large bag of change that I now have.

It was a friend's birthday today so we went out for drinks with her last night, and then home by 1am to set up and watch the Worlds webcast, which was awesome, although I was fairly drunk and otherwise intoxicated for most of it, but sobered up towards the end. Big night, went to bed at like 7:30 am, but didn't get up until around 4pm, so that was good.

My shoulder is actually feeling really good. I am considering going to footy training this week and playing out the season, although I feel very dispassionate about football these days.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 31 Jul 2009 21:39

Kicked today with Lotus. Was fun although the weather was terrible - lots of rain plus gale force winds. We gave up busking and moved to some shelter pretty quickly.

Lotus hit ripwalk for the first time, and then again, which was awesome. I mainly just drilled some stuff that needs work - eggbeaters, spinning, whirls, double downs etc. I did hit whirlygig>whirlygig which used to be a lot easier for me but I guess I'm getting on top of stuff like that again.

Not much else to report.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Aug 2009 01:11

Some random thoughts;

Moving house. Kind of epic I guess. About time though. I find 3 of my 4 housemates really annoying these days. One spends his whole life smoking weed. One just does absolutely nothing with his life and the third, who has only been living here for a month or two is possibly the dumbest person I've ever met. The first and third also really do only care about themselves. The middle one has one of the most defeatist attitudes I've come across. He said to me the other day something along the lines of "I just kind of think that it's unfair for me to beat my opponent in football - like why should I get the ball instead of him." I can't even pretend to understand what he really means.

Anyway I'm moving in with a friend who has just bought a house, it's a little further away from uni but a good location very close to an ok beach, so it should be good. My housemate/landlord is also one of the smartest people I know, so that will be a nice change :)

University is going really well. Enjoying all my subjects, even Classical Lit, despite the fact that it makes me appreciate science so much. I got the top mark of everybody doing geology for my last assignment so that was good, and at least for the moment I'm on track for a HD. It is a big challenge though, as I haven't done the first semester geology unit, so I'm missing giant chunks of knowledge. However there is an amazingly beautiful girl as one of the demonstrators in my prac, so I spend as much time as I can asking her questions and that also ends up helping my marks :D I guess it also helps that I find all my subjects very interesting and look forward to them.

I recently was accused of being "culturally elitist" because I'm not a massive Harry Potter fan. It seems to me that the term "culturally elitist" only really means that you're capable of articulating a meaningful argument in opposition to something that is culturally mainstream. If you just say "I don't like Harry Potter" then that's ok, it's just a subjective opinion, but if you explain the reasons why you don't like it - then you're culturally elitist. So I've taken it as a compliment. In any event it's an exaggeration to say that I don't like Harry Potter. I've only read the first and third books and they were mildly entertaining. I just don't think it's particularly good, and certainly not of any worth to English literature. I suspect that the people who disagree with me about this have not read much great literature. Hmm, elitist view perhaps, but that doesn't make me wrong.

I've been playing a bit of footbag, which is good. I have some kind of performance coming up with these girls who almost strippers but apparently a lot more classy and sophisticated than that. I'm not sure I understand, but don't think it's an issue anyway :P Burlesque dancers - whatever that means. Playing with Lotus each week is really good and I think my game is improving a little.

Anyway that's about it. This post is mainly procrastinating from writing a 1000 word essay on the thematic significance of Telemachus' first meeting with Athena in The Odyssey. If you've read it I'd love to hear your opinions even if you have no idea what the question means :P :)

The good thing about a word count like that (apart from it being small) is that you know exactly what percentage through it you are all the time, without having to do any calculations. So far I am 6.8% done :D

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Aug 2009 07:28

Here's a pro tip. If you're at a sporting game and one of the best ever people at that sport comes out playing for the opposition, don't boo him, no matter how much you hate him.

As soon as I read the match commentary of the 4th test that the crowd booed Ponting when he came out to bat, it was inevitable that he'd smash it.

England all out for 104 in their first innings. Australia 1 for 87.

We will have a first innings lead on day 1...

In other news, one of my dumb housemates came home earlier really drunk. Went upstairs and cooked my food, tipped half it on the floor, and then went to bed leaving a hot plate on with a tea towel lying on it. In amazingly good fortune I got hungry and it was tea in the cricket, so went upstairs and prevented the fire (the tea towel was smoking and burnt, but no flames). Lucky...

Oh, this is the same housemate that injured my shoulder the other week.

Anyway Australia now 1 for 96...

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 10 Aug 2009 02:49

it's called "The Holocaust", not the "Nazi Holocaust". It may seem picky but this choice of words seem to reflect on the insane overuse of the term "holocaust" in recent years.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Aug 2009 22:03

I'm not sure what Texta's point is or why he's posting in my blog. He should try using better sources than wikipedia.

Regarding the holocaust - the word stems from the Armenian Genocide during and just after WW1 when around a million Armenians were slaughtered by the Turks (or at least, the Ottoman Empire).

Anyway if people want to discuss this further they should start a new topic about it rather than discuss this here. Thanks.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 10 Aug 2009 23:11

It's a touchy subject to me since the word is used so often these days that lose the notion of what magnitude of carnage it used to stand for. I had to say something.
As far as I know, the word was never officially used to describe the Armenian Genocide by anyone but the Armenians themselves. A little etymological inquiry using google confirmed this.

And that concludes the part where I'm hijacking your blog. Sorry about that.

Roy Klein

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Aug 2009 23:48

No worries. I don't usually mind these kinds of hijacks, and this is an interesting topic - I'm just a little annoyed with my brother searching through my blog and then bumping a months old post just to correct me, especially given his correction is really one of different perspectives rather than an actual correction (my statements are historically correct, while today his would be seen as accurate from a legal position - it's a tiresome argument that doesn't change the point of my original post at all).

Regarding the Armenian Genocide, I guess I'm going to allow the hijack to continue because it's fairly new to me and something I found interesting for a while. I hadn't even heard about it at all until reading Robert Fisk's book The Great War for Civilisation earlier this year, that has a chapter devoted to it. Given the touchyness of the subject, the opinions I'm about to express are far more his than mine - I've read a little about it since then, and my opinions are probably similar, but I don't know a great deal about it, so are based on a few sources and probably a lot of ignorance.

Since the Armenian Genocide occurred, there has been a lot of efforts to recognise the event and bring about some kind of justice. Interestingly two groups of people have opposed this (which is why your comments are noteworthy). One group is the Turks, who are essentially the people responsible for the genocide (at least in the view of many people). The other group is the Jews, who are apparently worried that recognising the slaughter of 1 to 2 million people in an effort to wipe out their entire race somehow detracts from the serious of the genocide perpetrated against them (or at least that's my paraphrasing of what Fisk says). This is also why often "The Holocaust" is referred to as killing 6 million people, when actually 9 million were murdered in the same manner by the Nazis, but only 3 million of which were homosexuals, Gypsies and other minorities.

Of course it's a pretty gross generalisation to say that the two groups are "the Turks" and "the Jews" - clearly it's not all Turks or all Jews, but it's interesting that two groups would deny the Armenian Holocaust for such different reasons.

Your statement that the only people to refer to the Armenian Holocaust is the Armenians is false. Many people have used that word to describe the events.

For example to quote Winston Churchill;

"massacring uncounted thousands of helpless Armenians, men, women and children together, whole districts blotted out in one administrative holocaust... beyond human redress."

This quote comes from the Robert Fisk book I mentioned - page 404 from Chapter 10 - "The First Holocaust" and Fisk's reference for the quote is as follows;

Churchill, The World Crisis: The Aftermath p. 157

Tony Blair and the English government finally decided to allow Aremians to take part in "Holocaust day" in 2001, which indicates surely that they also accept the word "Holocaust" to describe it. There are no doubt many others.

However as I said earlier, I'm really just basing these comments from that book - which is a really good read, but relying on one source is dangerous, especially on any issue relating to the Middle East, since the amount of propaganda is so extreme that I think it's best to be exceptionally sceptical of everybody's opinions and analysis.

It seems to me though, that there is very little actual damage done by recognising the Armenian Genocide and Holocaust for what they are, while clearly there is still incredible hurt caused by denying any part of it, including the terms used to describe it. If the descendants of people who had their entire family gassed to death want to call it a Holocaust, I'm clearly not in a position to deny them that.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 11 Aug 2009 00:26

I didn't say no one but the Armenians call it "Holocaust", I simply said no one (or almost no one) OFFICIALLY calls it that.
I call it "The Armenian Holocaust" myself :) So no quarrel there.
I acknowledge it to be an event of monstrous atrocities. The fact that Modern Turkey still refuses to recognize the event for what it is, and continues to persecute Armenians magnifies the severity of the tragedy tenfold.

However, I don't know if it is accurate to say that the Jews as a whole also refuse to recognize it. As an Israeli I can present the perspective of the State of Israel and the perspective of most Israelis (they are not the same), but not of the world Jewry.

The state does not currently recognize it officially, due to the fact that Turkey is a strategic ally in a region where friends are less common than enemies. The Turks time and again have made clear that any acknowledgment of the Armenian Genocide by Israel will result in a diplomatic crisis. They are not taking the matter lightly. I consider the position Israel currently takes hypocritical but I understand why it is maintained.
However, I know that the mass population are aware of the genocide and take the Armenian side of the story, including high officials (including Peres, the current Israeli president, and the previous minister of education, who wanted to include it in the mandatory school curiculum). Many will refuse to call it a Holocaust but that is beside the point.

Roy Klein

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 Aug 2009 03:03

Well I'm sure you know more about the stance of the Israeli government than I do. Robert Fisk in his book does quote a number of Israeli officials and others expressing their outrage at his demands that it be better recognised, but I'm sure the reality is fairly complicated.

I agree that not all Jews deny it, just as not all Israelis deny the injustices being committed in Palestine, or as all Palestinians deny the injustices other Palestinians commit. I made the generalisation because otherwise I'm sure I'd have to lots and lots of research and write pages and pages as to the different demographics of those who deny the Armenian Holocaust or complain about using the word "holocaust."

Of course there are lots and lots of countries that recognise it officially. Britain is the largest (Obama said he'd recognise it when he became President, but hasn't so far), but actually most countries also recognise it. Of course countries like Australia have a relatively tiny population of Armenians, or anybody else from that region (despite the scaremongering of some of our politicians over recent years), so almost nobody in the world or Australia knows or cares about our position on it.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 Aug 2009 03:15

In other news, I think I've been conditioned to curl up the foetal position and start crying whenever I hear the words "push up position."

Seniors lots football in a fairly crucial match on Saturday, and so everybody was punished today at training, even people like me who have played one game, in the reserves (who won on Saturday) for the whole year. I think I must have done over 300 pushups, plus a whole bunch of other stuff.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Aug 2009 21:22

So for the last week I've had an annoying sore throat and cough. The last two days, after that terrible football training, it's developed into a more serious cough. The terrible thing though is that my abs, and entire upper body are really really sore, so every time I cough I think I'm going to die (note, this is an exaggeration, but it sucks. note2 By "sucks" I don't mean that literally, but just that it is very unpleasant).

Anyway in better news, I bought an eeepc today. Actually A Samsung N110, but same thing. It's pretty sweet. Also it's stopped raining, which is great. I'm still really not looking forward to football training today, but at least I won't get too wet.

Have moved house, which is good, although it's going to take me months to organise my stuff.

Oh yeah, one last thought. The Medea. Reading it for classical Lit. The saddest most tragic play ever?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Aug 2009 03:53

Things that suck; Having the flu and doing 2 consecutive beep tests in a row... in the rain.

Things that suck more; when your footy coach says after that "it's only going to get harder from here," and he's right.

I can't remember ever being this sore or tired, and I can't even get a game in the team. I'm going to finish the season having played one game where I was best on ground and the highest goal kicking average in the team. Injuries are the worst. I'm pretty much better now, but the coach doesn't want to play me because we're so close to the end. So shit. I'm possibly getting fitter though - or going to die soon.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Aug 2009 22:39

106% on my geology prac assignment. That is all. [/brag]

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 15 Aug 2009 07:43

So had a footbag gig tonight which was good. Fucking surreal. It felt like I was in Blade Runner or something. It was some kind of circus themed event. Also I set a PB for most number of naked women seen in a day. They were "burlesque" dancers, which are basically like strippers except somehow different. Actually I didn't see any of the acts, but I did some stuff with them before at a TV shoot a month or two ago (which is how I got this gig). Anyway back to naked women. It was actually not ideal because it was mainly while I was warming up. I exaggerate very slightly, they weren't ever completely naked, but they were fine just changing underwear in front of me and everybody else backstage.

Actually backstage where I warmed up was amazing. The gig was at a local club but backstage was an adjacent art gallery - so we were in this massive really well lit room with artistic photos all around us (actually the art was pretty average :P). Very surreal.

My warm up was great and I had two run throughs of my routine, both with one drop. However when I got on stage the lighting was really bad, which wasn't an issue to begin with, but as my routine built up the stage (which was a temporary stage) started wobbling really badly and I ended up with like 5 or 6 drops. A little annoying. I actually played on the stage before the show started but didn't notice the wobble - although didn't try anything really hard - so I should have dumbed it down a lot more.

Anyway still a really fun night. Lots of free alcohol too.

My next gig coming up soon is in the middle of a play that sounds ridiculously po-mo. Actually the script writer (who was there tonight) told me it was "anti-theatre."

From what I can gather he's in the play and stranger and stranger things keep happening, and the actors keep asking him if he wrote this and he's like sure. Eventually two girls and a guy just get up out of the crowd and the girls start doing a strip tease (or a burlesque dance, if that's different) while the guy starts playing freestyle footbag. When the actor asks about this the script writer is like "no, I have no idea where they come from - get off my stage" and we leave.

Sounds fun anyway. My first time working in theatre :D

It does bother me how people say "break a leg" to me before these kinds of shows though. I understand it, I just don't think it's a great thing to say for footbag. Or perhaps it's an awesome thing to say. I don't know.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 15 Aug 2009 14:40

Jeremy wrote: ...but I did some stuff with them before at a TV shoot a month or two ago (which is how I got this gig).
Steamy! care to elaborate on what that stuff was? :wink:
A.G.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Aug 2009 21:19

lol, not really ;)

Anyway tales of epic victories.

I've been a member of my bank for ages - maybe 15 years. It's a credit union, which means that all the members are also shareholders. When I joined it cost me $10, that I would supposedly get back if I ever left the bank. Since then it's merged two or three times and changed names each merger as well. I think when I joined it was the Teachers, Police and Nurses Credit Union and I could only join because my mum is a teacher. These days it has expanded a great deal, and is now a fairly large financial institution offering as many services as any bank. It's going to merge again and if that happens then people with accounts won't need to own shares anymore. A while ago I got a massive package from the bank telling me all about the merger and also with a form to vote for or against and another form if I wanted to sell my shares. I glanced very briefly at all this and threw it out.

Anyway today I was changing my postal address over the phone and I asked the person a little about the merger. Turns out that my $10 worth of shares are now worth between $1100 to $1300 and I can sell them, and it won't change my banking at all.

This is both the best investment I've ever made, and the only one. Fucking awesome :D

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 19 Aug 2009 04:42

Given that my brother is now posting on modified and won't leave, I am.

No doubt many people will be happy about this and others less so (thanks for all the messages of support I've got over the last few days too - although I'm sure I've thanked you all in person too).

It's obviously bad for the forum and for footbag for us both to be here, and the more I avoid him the happier I am too.

Modified has been a rollercoaster, but thanks for all the good times and friends I've made. My contact details are not hard to find if you want me for anything, and best of luck. Maybe I'll see you all at a footbag tournament or something.

Regarding Matt Cross and my 10 bags - I would still love to get them, and you did promise, but obviously I'm leaving regardless of whether I do.

We can choose our friends, but not our family, and I'm glad to have many of you as friends.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Aug 2009 08:21

I'm still sending the bags.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa