Rochester, New York Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 27 Aug 2009 20:50

great to hear from you Mike! I'll be up on sunday, it makes more sense considering the circumstances. It will be chilly and maybe rainy, but the building at cobbs hill will protect us. Can't wait to see you and ryan.

mikeanello
Egyptian Footgod

Post by mikeanello » 29 Aug 2009 12:41

Shred tomorrow, Sunday, 3 PM at Cobbs Hill Water Reservoir.

See you there.
Mike Anello
http://www.rochesterfootbag.com
Never give up, unless up is what the customer really wants.

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 29 Aug 2009 16:10

Sounds good. I'll see you there.
Doug Tank

TonyBones
Circle Kicker

Post by TonyBones » 01 Sep 2009 11:23

g00d33 wrote:Hey, two of my friends are going to RIT and will be moving in in a couple of days. Coincidentally, one of them is the one to first show me footbag on youtube, and the other has lavers and a mr. So if you guys are looking for some fresh meat, they would be prime candidates :wink:

Hey I'm Tony and I am some of the fresh meat John is talking about. I'm not very good at all but I enjoy it sometimes. I also just like hanging out watching. And I'm open to any help anyone wants to give me. Thanks :)

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 18 Sep 2009 07:06

Sunday session, 3pm. I propose RIT. Who's in??

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 01 Oct 2009 10:05

Guess who's moving to Rochester???

<-- This guyyyyy, see ya'll there, i'm down for kicking!
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 11 Oct 2009 08:36

when?

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 11 Oct 2009 08:49

Next weekend!

psyched!

we've got an apartment off union (the street that runs by the Bug Jar) halfway between Monroe and East. It's gonna be sicccck!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 11 Oct 2009 14:13

There goes the neighbourhood hahaha

i'm stoked
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 02 Nov 2009 12:12

Well, Will and I have been living together for about 2 weeks. We just had a session down by Java's for about an hour or so. We've been playing a good bit this past week. I think we've played 5 out of the last 7 days, for about an hour or two each time. I'm sticking mostly to easy stuff - simple, bothsided drills, rakes and pendulums, not much symposium whirling. legs feel good, knees feel good. My one thing I've focused on in the last 3 sessions was flipside DLO (and symple legover tricks in general). My flip symple legover is weak. However, I'm having a great time trying to rebuild some of my base, and maintain a good smooth look to what I'm doing.

today I got osis > symp whirl x ~10 (wasn't really counting), and footed blurry whirl > tomahawk BSOS.

We played with WD 1 and 2, and also a new 2-stitch MC disco bag. Disco material is a little slippery on a bag made entirely of that material, but it flops nicely. I'm going to make a bag with that as the pents and facile hexes, and I think it will look great and feel great. The WD bags play nicely. We are still figuring out his gather and bite, but they're headed in the right direction.

We went to a sick halloween party the other night, and will got totally wild on the dance floor. He definitely took it to the next level, both dancing-wise, and alcohol-intake-wise. We had a great time. Good music and everything.

We met a nice guy after the session today, Steve... he had played with me once before at U of R, 5 years ago or so. I gave him a freedom bag that I was going to set on fire. Hopefully he'll contact us and want to play some time.

Hope everyone's having fun out there in legball land! come to rochester and crash on our couch!
BRICK!

nyfa

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Nov 2009 08:26

Sounds like good times all over.
Matt Cross wrote:come to rochester and crash on our couch!
I might take you on the word with that. You two are welcome in Copenhagen anytime aswell!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 04 Nov 2009 09:03

NEWS FLASH -

Fire makes footbag MUCH more appealing to the average person.

While talking to Steve, mentioned in my previous post, I did a little freedom-on-fire footbag, just for fun. We were playing in front of Java's, a local favorite hipster cafe.

The next day (yesterday), before our session, Will and I went in to buy some coffee beans and a little bit of snack. The cafe girl said she had seen me playing with fire the day before, and her and some friends in her dance troupe were watching and thinking up choreography - basically, she was showing more interest in footbag than just about any random viewer had shown before.

So, ya, if you want people to be more interested in footbag, add an element to it that anyone can relate to - the possibility of being set on fire. That will get anyone's attention.

note to self - must discuss trading MC bags for freedom rejects...

We played yesterday. it might be too cold to make it out today. It's laundry day anyway, so maybe we'll take today off and give my poor back a break.

Each session is getting a little better. My fairy sets are coming along just a bit better. Almost every string I do is entirely focused around drilling one particular move. I'm not sure if I did any "shred" whatsoever yesterday... probably not. However, there's so many holes in my foundation that I don't care - time spent drilling with good form is time well spent for me.

Hopefully we can get a session in with Paul and Mike in the near future.

matt <3 legball
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Nov 2009 08:05

yo

indoor session at RIT yesterday. back feels not too bad today. Legs feel fine. I've really cut down on the danger moves... well, danger move - ps whirl.

Will was hitting huge stuff, as usual. As the session progressed, we got onto the symp swirling osis moves that have been on our mind lately. I hit far symp swirling osis bs with nice style, and that was kind of satisfying and kind of funny, because I could hit a sloppy style butterfly symp swirling op osis before I'd been to my first tournament. So, I've had the move pretty much longer than anything else I can hit. Then, I hit rev whirling symp swirling osis on my flipside, then on strong side from far toe, but not on flipside.

Once Will got on it, he hit barfly symp swirling osis with great style. Then, I hit paradon symp swirling osis a few times on one side. Then, will did blurriest symp swirling osis, to invent a new 4 dex move! DAMN that was fast. We tried to come up with a name for the downtime component (doubledown symp swirling osis). Will suggested both Scarfly and Femur Creamer, and was leaning towards Scarfly by the end of the night. I like Femur Creamer, but, hey, I didn't invent it.

Oh ya, paul was there too. He seems to be doing more whirls and whirl-based moves than in previous years, which looks really good with his long legs. He also gave me some style tips on gyro guay.

As for boring stuff, I worked on symple legover back to back, and after a few minutes, I had it smallish and controlled-ish, but I could only do 5 :( I want to push that number very high... my symple legover moves have always been lacking, and it's really a basic component.

So, fun times to be had in Rochester. We turned on the uStream for a while, and Doug Tank watched. Then, Justin Dale joined us! Supercool! I had JUST started thinking of Mofly when he came in the room, and then gave a few tries to illusioning symp dod. Footed it once, couldn't do any better :( oh well.

Jay Boychuk is thinking about coming out in about 3 weeks. Fun! I'm not sure if he's got a camera, I hope he does, so we can make a sick video of him and will.

<3
BRICK!

nyfa

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 06 Nov 2009 09:40

what are you guys up to tomorrow night
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Nov 2009 09:43

I've got a gig, should be getting home around 1 AM. What's the deal?
BRICK!

nyfa

mikeanello
Egyptian Footgod

Post by mikeanello » 23 Nov 2009 11:52

I miss you guys... but don't worry, I'm not lonely.

NOAH MICKAELE ANELLO - 6 MONTHS

NOAH MICKAELE ANELLO - 6 MONTHS

Peace.
Mike Anello

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 01 Dec 2009 13:00

beautiful pics mike! I can't believe how black his little eyes are! You and Julia look radiant.

Just got in from a street session with Will. We played for about an hour and 15 minutes. The weather is clear but cold, and was a little windy to start. We both went out and played in sweatshirts to start, but once we warmed up, t-shirts were fine. The good thing about playing when it's a little uncomfortably cold to start is that once I get going, it's perfect, and I don't sweat as much. I can get to be one sweaty footbagger when it's hot out, so it was nice not having to deal with that.

I didn't play very well, just mostly tried to hit basic stuff on both sides. I had a bit of success with that, and one or two fun strings. I hit pendulous op rake to a string. I'd like to get that on both sides, but I forgot to try the flip. I had one good try at flurricane (which Will hit first try). I hit gyro reversival with firsts BSOS. Will hit that on one side, and inspired me to try it. Hit ripwalk > symp whirl repeat, and many many repeats of drifter > ss butter, trying to do everything consistent, precise, and the exact same on both sides, with pausing, whippy downtime drifters. Also, swirling ss mirage BSOS first try.

Will busted some sweet shit. I'll let him speak for himself in that regard. Playing with him is totally awesome. He inspires me to try all different kinds of stuff, and his form is so natural and easy looking that it makes me try and play that way too. His DDDs are sick, and I try to do mine as snappy and downtimey and with a hop back like he does. Plus, he's always relaxed and mellow, even when he's busting massive moves, so that helps me feel more laid back while we session (I can sometimes be a real stresshead when I play footbag). Thumbs up.

In the music department, I've written some new songs, and I'm going to be recording soon, so it will be time for that new album, finally. I did some recording about a year ago, but I'm not happy with much of what came out of it, although, in a technical sense, they were done well by the people who recorded it. I'll probably use some of it for the album. Anyway, the point is, new songs = a good thing. Gotta keep that ball rolling.

Hope to see some of you soon! Definitely can't afford NYJ this year - I recently got a speeding ticket, and rent is looming. Time to get my shit together.
BRICK!

nyfa

mikeanello
Egyptian Footgod

Post by mikeanello » 01 Dec 2009 13:12

Matt,

Thanks for the compliments. Noah did really well with his six month pictures. He was very responsive to us and the photographer and smiled a lot.

Congratulations on the good shred. It's nice to know you are still playing and that you now have Will to keep you motivated. I still dream of one day getting back into it.

I am looking forward to your new music. You know you can always count on me for an honest opinion, or even if you would like some ideas for composition and arrangement.

Peace.
Mike Anello

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 02 Dec 2009 09:12

NICE BABY

Glad to see things are going well, Mike. You must be having a great time. Keep those lead filled bags away from him!

mikeanello
Egyptian Footgod

Post by mikeanello » 02 Dec 2009 10:20

chris dean wrote:Keep those lead filled bags away from him!
Word! LOL
Mike Anello