Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kaylo
Hack Fiend

Post by Kaylo » 06 Oct 2009 22:09

Heya Dan, nice description of the drive down to Bendigo! Turns out the mechanic didn't fix Ian's car after all Monday morning and so we had car problems all the way back to Sydney, though luckily no power outages! Didn't help the 12hr trip back go any faster though.

Nice to you're back at the gym, I don't know if I mentioned it on the weekend but I've just started back too - I'm hoping it will help me to build up my stamina for kicking.

Still thinking of coming to Sydney for awhile? When does your lease run out?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Oct 2009 00:55

I think you mentioned something about the gym. Everything felt so abnormal the first time back...I am totally aching today! Caroline said the problems carried on the way back home, hope it all gets fixed eventually.

I'm a bit undecided at the moment re: Sydney. My lease doesn't run out until February, and that's when I go to Papua New Guinea. If I could walk straight into a job (preferable with on-site accomodation!), that may make things easier. I'll give it a think over in the next few month or so. I do have a pretty good situation in Canberra at the moment, but I wouldn't mind a change. So I will give it some more thought. I just put in for leave without pay over the time I go to PNG, as well as Narooma, and a possible trip to NZ. If I go at any time, it's most likely to be after coming back from PNG.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 12 Oct 2009 05:52

Wow, lots of travel Dan! I'm looking at going to Fiji in May next year :D

Nice write up, it was good fun. What do you mean there's nothing to do in Bendigo??? haha.

Can't believe you guys had car trouble on the way home too? Sucks! Jerky mechanic...

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Oct 2009 02:44

On the note of travel, I just went on a spur of the moment trip down the coast the last couple of days. It's the middle of spring but it's still stupidly cold in Canberra all the time. Just like the Gold Kids song, "Winter, 365 Days A Year".

When I arrived down there it was raining, and things weren't looking any better. Waking up the next morning, it was a perfect sunshine type day. I went sightseeing with a new friend I made, Liz- an English girl who was staying in the hostel. All up in the day (including an afternoon trip to Middle Beach with my Dad) I traveled about 230km. I caught a bus down Monday afternoon and a bus back today, each of those trips also 230km. So I have been a fair way recently.

I got a new bodyboard for my birthday, I think I might have mentioned that in regards to the last surf trip, it's going pretty well. I want to try and get down the coast more regularly before heading to PNG, which makes sense, as it's a surf trip!

Anyhow....I mentioned that we played with some freestyle football guys last week, or maybe it was the week before. Just before going to Bendigo. They were pretty nice guys. Caroline took this video, it worked out really well. I said "let's get a shot with both of us in the video", it was actually the first round. I got a nice long run, mainly of fairly easy tricks, but it worked well, and if it was a battle, I would have been the winner!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5oKQ0z ... r_embedded[/youtube]

I convinced Copey to come to a metal show the other night. His girl had been trying all week to convince him to come, but apparently who was too scared of all the weirdos who would come to the show or something. My main line of thought in the convincing was "they sell beer there".

Anyhow, it was my friends band Templestowe playing, it was a sweet show. They were launching their album, it sounds huge. They played a cover of Mastodon's "Blood and Thunder" as an encore (WHITE WHALE! HOLY GRAIL!) It was a pretty sweet end to the evening. Speaking of whales, I saw 2 yesterday, just from standing on the shore. That was pretty cool.

Anyhow, my ex-girlfriend from many moons ago was there. She works with Copey. He definitely got a good laugh at my expense when I told him that we used to go out.

There's not much footbag talk in this post. I have barely been playing at all. Hopefully I can get in a proper shred sometime in the next few days. Hopefully the sun comes out. That would be real nice.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Oct 2009 13:18

Had a pretty sweet weekend, got in two kicks and a game of soccer. Caroline had a big assignment to do on Friday, and I called her just as she had finished, so we had a kick over at the ANU. To start with I was playing fairly average, I was feeling a bit sore. I had also had a couple of beers after work, and that didn't help my form either.

After I was a bit warmer, I started hitting some better things...I hit a new trick, fairy diving butterfly. Caroline and I practiced some doubles as well. We have been giving doubles a go in each session...so far we're not very good, but we are improving as time goes on. It's quite fun as it's a completely different challenge. In this session I would say I played "ok". But it was good just to get a kick in, as neither of us had kicked all week.

After the kick we went to the bar at the uni, had a few games of pool. The cues were in terrible condition, so the games last a lot longer than they should have. I had to work at 7, so after a drink at transit bar, I headed to bed.

After work the next day we kicked again. This time in Belconnen, in the north of Canberra. We wanted Copey to come along, so we played near his house. He only came along for about 5 minutes, he claimed he had more important business.

I played pretty well on this session, I had some nice long runs, didn't hit anything new, but I hit a few things I don't hit so regularly, and worked a bit on my flip atomic. I hit quite a few runs that would have been 15-20ish contact guiltless runs.

Afterwards we went to join Copey at his "more important business". Him and his housemate had more than 50 tickets in the draw at the Labour Club. The draw was a promotion for Bluetounge beer, the winner got a BBQ. So we got some more bluetounges, they never cleared off the table, so I think we had about 15 more bottles on the table, we thought we were a shoe-in to win, nobody else was drinking bluetounge, but then this lady came up and said she had been there since lunchtime, drinking bluetounges to win the prize. Then she started going on about what a horrible beer it was! In the end she won the BBQ. Cope got the second prize which was an esky and a case of bluetounge (to a value significantly less than the total of the value of the tickets).

After this I went over to my friends house, we went out on the town, saw a band, then I went to work with a hangover. My friend Rhys had messaged me, wanting to organise a bit of a kick around of a soccerball, so I was heading there after work.

As the day went on, different people would come by at the hostel. I would say "hey, do you like soccer?" And some of them were keen, so I got them to come along too. As it turned out, I organised a top world team to challenge our team, last place- Division 4, Kaleen Indoor Social comp! We had 7 players against their 5, but that didn't help us out. After going in at half time down by just one goal (3-2), we couldn't keep up the pace in the second half at lost 8-3.

The "World" team had a Scotsman, an Irishman, a great Dane, a German and a New Zealander, it was quite a mix of nationalities, and they were all pretty good. It was a different story for our team!

After this we also went to the pub, which seems to be a common thread amongst all these stories!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Oct 2009 17:46

yesterday I had a really nice footbag session with Caroline. We played down by the lake, it just seemed really relaxed, but nearly every go, I would either a long run or a sweet trick. I don't think I hit any new tricks, I came quite close to fusion though, which is something I've barely even thought of trying before.

I did hit matador, ripped warrior, blurriest and a few other tricks that I don't hit so regularly which are pretty hard for me. It was just a nice sunny day (yesterday and the day before were the first days of sun in spring). It was sunny this morning, but looks like the weather has gone downhill again.

Going to Sydney this weekend, should be pretty fun. If I get some days off that work nicely next week, might hit up Melbourne for a couple of days.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 21 Oct 2009 02:08

Sounds like some nice sessions :) Nice weekend too. I like bluetongue, but the green more than the blue. I wonder how much money she spent buying drinks she didn't like, maybe she should have just bought a bbq...

Let me know if you make it down to melb and I'll try to come down :)

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 28 Oct 2009 22:29

soooo,.... i'm thinking about coming back to oz in december, just because my visa expires in january, and i can't take the cold for a whole winter any more. It's not even below zero and i'm pussing out :s
A.G.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Oct 2009 15:39

come come come come come. I will take leave and we will catch waves.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Oct 2009 15:52

I made a post yesterday, but it didn't quite work out, because it's not here.

I have had a pretty sweet week. Went up to Sydney on Friday night, saw Poison The Well, who were incredible. Their performance at the start of the year was pretty substandard, this was so much better. Pretty much the perfect set.

Saturday we kicked in Narellan- good turnout. Ian, Dyalan, Kayleigh and Caroline. One of Kayleigh's friends came, she interviewed us for a story she is going to do for "Hack" on triple J (it's like a 30 minute news program). Not sure what's happening with that. I played pretty well, it was burning hot, and we were just playing on the street as it had been closed off. I hit pixie double over down for the first time. I've been trying that for a while.

I stayed in the brand new Sydney Harbour hostel. Before it opened to the public, they gave the staff a test run. I could see the opera house from my room. We are going to have part of our nationals on the rooftop terrace there. Unfortunately while we were there, there was a huge ship in the way of the opera house. It pulled out at about 9pm (complete with fireworks show), and there it was right in front of us.

On Tuesday night I had a completely crazy, wild night. I had totally had no plans, but Tuesday night is karaoke night, and some other people were keen. A couple of the Germans that have been staying for a while were like "we have some goooon", so I chilled with them, practiced my Deutsch (which sucks, just by the way).

Later on I sang "Basketcase" by Green Day with one of the other girls staying at the hostel. It was pretty much the last song of the evening, so we had to wait around until like 3am. We continued to party in the hostel once the bar was shut. I ended up sleeping for 30 mins, then I went to work, where it was just me and the manager working together.

I played on that afternoon (Tuesday), and played surprisingly well. Hit some drills (spin clip>gyro clip rpt was the main highlight). I played for about an hour by myself, before meeting my friend for dinner.

Last night I went to a pretty sweet show (The Amity Affliction, We Are The Ocean, Hopeless). I had a lot of fun there. I did an interview with the singer from Hopeless for the next issue of my zine, which should be out shortly. Maybe by the end of the weekend. I have the next two days off, which is nice.

Tomorrow I'm going to Stonefest, seeing two of my favourite bands of my youth- Frenzal Rhomb and The Living End. I'm really excited.

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 29 Oct 2009 16:49

Frenzal Rhomb are still around? Its been ages since i heard anything about, but then i dont listen to the radio. They had some funny shit back in the day!

Unfortunately the radio piece wont be going ahead in the immediate future. It apparently required an edit and the producer hadnt had time to look at it before the show this week, and so they couldnt air it. I asked whether it might be on later but the answer suggested that because it is now technically 'old news', they wont run it and would have to wait for another event :(
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Oct 2009 21:08

yeah, they play about two shows per year, release an album even less often. So it will be sweet to see then. Too bad about that triple j news. Maybe next time. Although i can't believe the narellan rythyms festival is national news.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Nov 2009 13:38

Summer, discontent
Summer's here put the top down and drive
Summer's here now we're being burnt alive
Summer's here and we're almost naked
Our tan is deep but no-one knows we've faked it

Frenzal Rhomb- Summer's Here.

So the cold, cold times of winter are done, and now it is just going to be stinking hot for about 6 months. The weather in Canberra is pretty stupid.

Haven't played much the last few days. Seeing Frenzal Rhomb on Saturday was pretty sweet. I was having a kick with Copey there during the day, I came really close to hitting whirlwind. I was playing generally well, as I had already drunk a few beers, and was wearing long shorts, and playing on grass.

My friend Lauren is coming to visit me today. That should be pretty sweet.

I got a couple of new internet accounts

http://www.twitter.com/capitaleyes

http://aletdownyoucancounton.tumblr.com/

Feel free to add or follow me, or whatever people call it these days.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Nov 2009 13:28

Had a kick at the ANU yesterday with Caroline. It was a reasonable session. I tried to get some stuff on film, but I don't think we really got anything worthwhile. We practiced some more doubles...I guess we're getting a little better, we are still right at the beginning of the "beginner" level.

I had some decent length guiltless runs, but they were really few and far between. We went for some beer at Transit afterwards, that was quite good.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Nov 2009 18:34

had a pretty good last couple of days, I had Thursday and Friday off, which was nice. Have got in sessions every day with Caroline for the last 3 days, it's been really good, nice weather for it too.

I hit mullet for the first time yesterday, that was pretty exciting news. It was right when Caroline was telling some passerby about footbag, well timed on my behalf.

We tried to film some stuff on Thursday when we played at the ANU. It wasn't particularly successful, but I got a few short runs on film. Here is one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BvW7RB2Z8[/youtube]

Had a very nice girl come to visit me the last few days :).

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Nov 2009 16:14

Haven't played a whole lot this week, but had a really good session on Tuesday, was hitting a bunch of long runs (20+ guiltless), hit enterrage for the first time in ages, that was a good feeling. It took me many, many tries to get it, but I hit towards the end of the session, good feeling.

Pretty much every time I hit something good I would be like "Caroline, did you see that?" "No". And then I would try and do it again, wouldn't happen.

I went to the gym a couple of times early in the week, will probably go again this afternoon. I want to build up my strength and stamina for when I go on the trip to Papaua New Guinea....will be out in the water for most of the day all the time. Am currently in no shape to be doing that. I am in a reasonable shape, but not really good enough (should stop drinking so much beer tbqh).

Have been to a couple of shows the last few days, saw The Abandonment on Thursday night, I am a big fan of that band. Saw Gold Kids from Italy last night. There was such a strange vibe at the show. I am quite peeved because I pre-ordered a CD/shirt combo that has not arrived yet due to pressing issues at the pressing plant.

It has been super warm the last few days. Might try and get in a late afternoon session with Copey today or tomorrow. Going to see Daysend tonight, they are probably my favourite Australian band, they are like an Australian version of "the swedish metal sound" of Soilwork, In Flames etc. Good band, haven't seen them in ages. Very keen for that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Nov 2009 21:33

I haven't written in here for a couple of weeks, don't really have any footbag news, because I have barely played. I have been going to the gym a fairly reasonable amount of time, trying to build up some strength.

Went to Sydney the last few days. Caught up with Ian, showed him the new hostel, which is where I was staying (FOC). This is where we are playing to have part of our nationals, and also to stay. It looks pretty good. We should get the same sort of deal as last year, with a discounted rate.

Speaking of hostels, I will be heading up to Airlie Beach, Queensland to be the manager for about 6 weeks...that's a bit of a scary thought really. It's a really great opportunity, especially because they fly me up there and give me an apartment etc.

When I come back from there, I will be heading to Narooma, then probably to New Zealand, then to Papua New Guinea...hard life?

This is the hostel I will be running for the time

http://yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?h ... 655436c5b2

This is an aerial shot of the town Image

So I'm on leave at the moment, I need to sort out what will happen with my house. I don't really want to have to move all my stuff out, that would be kinda annoying.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 26 Nov 2009 01:54

I hate following other footbaggers' lives and blogs. It seems to be a traveling lot, and that makes me feel like a home-town bound simpleton :)

Sounds like you've got lots of interesting times coming up ahead! I still plan on perhaps jumping that train early 2010!
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Nov 2009 04:20

yeah, I'm quite excited, it's such a good opportunity. Definitely hope to see you adventuring in this direction next year.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 02 Dec 2009 12:38

I found out that I need a visa to go to Australia, and it takes some time to get it. I'm gonna start the process asap and hopefully I'll get it in time to make it to one of the events you told me about (Narooma's my top priority!)
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein