Stuff n Junk w/ Crowley

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Stuff n Junk w/ Crowley

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 31 May 2005 15:47

hello, i am sitting at work and am bored as all hell. Not many people visit the campus library (where I work) and so i just sit on the computer all day. I thought this would be a great reason to start a blog.

so here are the basic statistics: I am kevin crowley age 19 born and raised in missoula, MT and this month is my 2nd year of freestyle. i have been very disappointed with my footbag game for quite a long time now. my flip pixie sucks, i can't spin, all my strings seem the same, i lost flip quantum, all eggbeaters, and all pdx eggbeaters. I had to relearn my atomics so they aren't leggy anymore. My flip whirl is terrible, i BOP way too much, my flip double overs are pretty non-existent but yeah that's where my game is at right now.

I had a session at 1ish today. Within the first 15 minutes I had a string with bsos torques (both toe and clipper) legbeaters sidewalks ripwalks and blurs. I was stoked about that. Sam who started at the beginning of the fall got his longest run today which had crispy illusion, legover, a symp mirage, and ten mirages. It was his longest string ever. He is getting good and he is fun to kick with. We like to use footbag lingo in the voice of arnold schwarzzenneger. I footed kiwi today on my first attempt ever and had a run with bsos stepping ps mirages. also footed mobius from toe again but can't seem to fully pull it off.

This summer is going to be a huge learning summer for me. I can do about nine different sets but my downtime elements are terrible so this summer is dedicated to downtime moves: drifters, dlo, flip double overs, illusions, relearning eggbeaters. I need to learn spins. I have the hardest time with them. I can gyro sometimes but i can't spin. ARGHH!!

can't wait for mosher's facile 32 panel. I have lost every 32 i've ever purchased so this one is going to be treated with care.

yay, someone is finally about to check out a book!
Last edited by Sporatical_Distractions on 19 Nov 2014 14:31, edited 46 times in total.

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 01 Jun 2005 12:21

At work again.

Missoula is crazy. It usually never ever rains here. If it wasn't for the snowpack, we'd be considered an arid climate. But this month has been the rainiest i've ever experienced in 19 years of living here. Everything is sooo green and beautiful. I love it!

started my summer of learning last night. After work I cleaned my room and then started kicking. It started with lots of bops and ended up drilling drifters, flip pixie, flip fairy, and gyro. Evan challenged me during the winter to hit gyro clipper> stepping clipper> rpt and I could never do it. last night i made it 3/4 through it on 90% of my attempts which started to bother me. No matter where I started from, the second gyro clipper killed me but oh well. Got the furthest I ever have on sidewalk>ripwalk> rpt with ten contacts.

Kicked this morning with the MFA at the first people's market of the year and it was a blast. Sam, our newcomer, is improving so fast. His illusions used to be atomic toes and all of a sudden he is doing them downtime. It's awesome. I just kicked with him yesterday and he was still doing atomic toes. Where did this come from? 8) Ty went off on his flyers but then quit because of lavers sub par shock absorption. Evan has been going mad with drifters and spins. He hit spinning clipper>spinning osis. Jere has bops and pixie shuffle down. Seth is becoming a tiltless master with lots of flying toe stalls. It was a great shred day for everyone imo. I was the happiest with my game today than I have been in awhile. I had one string with bsos toe torques, bsos ps mirages, bsos warriors, bsos ripwalks, bsos blurs, some ducks and a barfly in the middle. I rarely hit barfly so that was cool. well, there will be more in this blog later.

edit: wrote people's market when it was actually out-to-lunch
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 01 Jun 2005 14:42

sweet!!! you should write more about the epic adventure you guys go on in here. How close do you all live to one another, how often you hang out non shred and stuff like that. Montana represent!!

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 01 Jun 2005 17:01

so yeah,
this guy comes up to the desk with his wife or gf or something and says "can you check these in? i think some of them are late." so I check them in and four of them are really really lateand his fines equalled $53 and both he and his wife/gf start cussing me out hardcore. Like that's going to erase his fines. I don['t understand this. We let them check out these books and media for free and he starts raging on me when it's late. He knew the due date, we tell them before they leave. It's a requirement. I should add more fines to his account :twisted:

Thanks for checking out the blog nate. We haven't had any epic adventures lately. Not since colorado and the fire alarm incident :wink: you know what i'm talking about.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 02 Jun 2005 12:14

mailed mosher some money today for a facile 32-panel. I've always wanted to kick with a facile 32. it reminds me of a super freedom footbag or something.

watched the torch in town videos for the first time today. damn, i forgot how nasty nate truly is. he just doesn't drop. it's crazy. ahren starting a run with ass tons of p torques and then his drills. one run had three lengthy drills right off the bat. i also watched vaseks sunshred routine for the first time. pure insanity. now I want to kick but i just started working. ahhhh
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 03 Jun 2005 14:23

so, i have a question:

how does parking at the special olympics work? is it just those few designated spots or what?

can't wait for work to get over. the library chunders all over me with my craptastic hours. yay. i love work :roll: can't wait to jump on top of yoga though when it's done. i haven't kept up with my practice lately. i'll probably just do suryanamascara A and B and then pig out on pizza. what a way to end exercise
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 03 Jun 2005 16:01

the strangest thing just happened, but it requires a brief background. three years ago in my welding class, this kid named jeremy grey went to mexico and bought a necklace. shortly thereafter, he got kicked out of school for possession among other misdemeanors and left that necklace in his welding locker. He moved away right after all that happened and so I took the necklace which contains symbols that appear to be mayan. I have never taken it off nor knew the meaning of the symbols. now to the strangeness of today:

There was a girl that approached me at work today that looked like she was straight out of national geographic. she wore garbs that looked to be almost like witch doctor/medicine man cloths. this girl, looked like she was in her mid twenties, asked for a piece of scratch paper in her foreign accent. I couldn't tell what her ethnicity was and her accent didn't help either. My guess would be south American or maybe african but I could be way off. Before I could give her some scratch paper she leaned forward and grabbed my necklace. She asked if I knew what the symbols on my necklace meant and where I had got it. I said that I did not know and she then asked if I wanted to know the meaning. There was a customer behind her that I had to help so she told me to find her. I helped the customer and then saw her off in the distance and walked up to her. She grabbed my necklace again and rubbed it against the table and said this is a sandstone. it contains a snail, frog, and a very strange symbol. I asked the significance of the symbols and what they meant. She said that the snail represents patience and the frog represents eagerness and so it was a battle between patience and eagerness which can be strong if the wearer of the symbols contains those attributes. I struggle on an hourly basis with patience and eagernessthese so it fit perfectly. I gave my thanks and continued working

after work I turned on the radio and guns 'n' roses "patience" was playing so I couldn't help to think that it was a sign of some sort. my right knee is pretty messed up from footbag yet i only let myself heal a couple of days before I play again so it could be that. THis girl that I am seeing is out of town for the summer and I keep hanging out with other girls and shit starts happening so maybe it's a sign of that, I hate my job right now but I need the money for a house so maybe its that, i could go on and on. oh well, I just thought it was strange

peace
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 03 Jun 2005 18:19

Kevin and I just got done kicking in the wet sidewalk in what turned out to be like a half hour shred instead of a short one. It was cool.
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 04 Jun 2005 11:41

just finished a two hour session at the people's market with Evan, Sam, Eric, devan and Dustin. It was cool that Dustin was there because he lost complete interest a couple of years back. It ended with just Evan and I but we definitely pushed eachother to new levels today. Everything felt super smooth and my runs were wayyy longer than they usually are.

personal hilights:
backside blur bsos multiple times
run started with ripwalk>sidewal>rpt
flip witchdoctor
Had a quasi set at mid calf (almost hit pdx ripwalk again)
drilled ducks, double legovers, some drifters, torques
legbeater bsos
a run with 3 of the 4 basic torques (toe, clipper)
same with dlo's
ducking clipper>ducking osis>barfly>run

btw: can dada curve get pdx, cause if so ducking pdx da da curve is the lamest six ever
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 06 Jun 2005 09:13

Does anyone ever read this, Kevin?

On a side note, I hit a clean diving clipper this morning. 8O
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 06 Jun 2005 10:34

Blackend wrote:Does anyone ever read this, Kevin?
I don't think so but oh well
Blackend wrote:On a side note, I hit a clean diving clipper this morning. 8O
nice dudley. Hell yeah!

I finally came up with a shred 30 yesterday. It was much overdue. The score came as 200+ so it should be a pretty good one.

Going to Seattle for ten days on thursday. THat should be awesome but I can't kick with the shredders. I'm using it as a resting period for my knees. They just keep getting worse. I think it may be patellar tendinitis. Byrin, if you read this, write about your experince with patellar tendinitis (how long you took a break from footbag, healing processes, how your knees feel now, etc). I really want to kick with james randall in spokane again (I have your mom's cell phone and ericksonj's sweatshirt) and kick with the seatlites but I can't. I'm gonna try to not even bring my g-units or footbags so I'm not tempted but I don't know if I can bring myself to do that.

Mailed out Mosher's money again. I got it back cause I sent my money to myself from him :oops: what a waste of stamps. can't wait to get that facile 32 though :twisted:
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 06 Jun 2005 12:42

Why can't we shred? my last day of school is on the 9th, Ill take a bus to where ever your staying and stand outside your hotel, bitch, so why not?
James Randall

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 06 Jun 2005 14:19

sweet, I didn't think I was gonna get a hold of you since you were leaving modified for the summer and you have no phone. i'll kick with you for sure. We are staying at the Davenport in Spokane THURSDAY NIGHT give my phone a try
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 06 Jun 2005 17:19

:(:(:(:(:(:(::(:(:(:(:(

That's not cool Kevin, I hope that your case isn't as serious as mine was...

Basically it started out in November after a session that involved a lot of Montages and Witchdoctors. It started off not too bad and only occured whenever I bent at the knees or, if kicking, when performing stepping, symposium or atomic tricks. What really made it worse was when I took pain killers and played through it. Call me stupid :(

The next month and two was pretty on and off. I would take a week off, play for a week, take another week off, play a few days, etc without limiting my game and still trying to stay at the pace that I was before the injury which resulted in my knees not getting better at all. It wasn't until around January that I decided to just go tiltless - I couldn't stop playing but for my own sake I had to cut down my game. I think that was the first smart decision I made in regard to my rehabilitation.

When I really started to notice a difference in my knees was after I began to do two things - the first was when I started taking supplements (MSM, Glucosamine & Chondroitin) and the second was when I put serious time into stretching my legs. I started taking the supplements about a month before Montana, which by that time was feeling a lot better though throughout the jam one wrong trick would be pretty painful. It wasn't until after Montana that I started doing a lot of stretches.

What I suggest you do Kevin is to tone down your game so that your knees don't feel stiff/sore after your sessions. Don't overexert yourself and stick to very low-impact things. Secondly, if they give you a lot of problems then I highly recommend the supplements I mentioned. On top of that, I also took Vitamin C, Calcium and Magnesium supplements which I think also helped act like a catalyst for the healing to occur. I took 4 a day (two in the morning, two in the evening) but gradually decreased it as my knees got better. Finally, really stretch out the hamstrings and quads. I honestly don't know why this helps but the effects of it were noticeable and very very rewarding.

Take care man. If you have any thing you'd like to ask, well, I'm always checking your blog and I have my blog too that you can post in. Speaking of which, I have some pics of our last session together uploaded so sneak a peak :)
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

TwistedTorque
Fearless

Post by TwistedTorque » 06 Jun 2005 21:56

Kevin had been trying to get me to post on here for a little while now, so I better.
Life has been pretty busy for me lately. Organizing the MT Freestyle Jam, Finals, and then a road trip to Victoria and Vancouver. I got to stay with Dylan Fry and Allan Haggett. It was super dooper fun. :D I got to go see the Star Wars release with them all. And get in 3 2 hour shred sessions. Which was very nice. With the area that they shred in, I can see how Allan got so good at his trials. I'll post pics one day. And now I'm moving out of my house. This week will be pretty busy. My official everything is out and clean day is the 14th (8 days and counting...).
Shred has never been as satisfying. Every month contains the best shred day of my life, sometimes twice a month. BOP drilling has paid off very well. Much work is to be still done on the flip osis though. I get a good handfull of dozen+ contact guiltless strings with a few 4s and some strong 3s in there. Moves I love and can hit pretty much at will: Spinning Osis (flip spin, strong osis) Right Toe Drifter, Right Smear>Dimwalk, Left Ripwalk. I wish my torque was in there, it should be for how long I've been able to hit it. Oh well, I really need to get the flip in there. It's hittable, just needs to be drilled a lot more.

Here is a really good recent run
If there are ANY problems viewing this, PLEASE email me. PLEASE!

Kevin and I sealed out the last Saturday Peoples' Market with a wicked fun session. People bailed out a little early and he and I were hard pressed to finish it up. It worked our endurance. I was playing in 2 person circles the entire session pretty much.
Kevin's Shred has seen so much integral progression. The core components that he was able to surpass because of his insane learning ability have been drilled and resmoothed out. He plays so much slower now. It's great. He's also become a much more creative shredder. I still love to see the raw power of shuffle shred though. It's just so intense. :D

Jere's been getting SO frickin good. His pixies are dialed, even his flip. He could hit Pixie leg over and Smear BSOS 9 out of 10 times. There's much more intense stuff, but the consistency on the basics are so solid. He's working on getting his flip ripwalk before his strong gets really good. This was my little piece of advice. He's good at spinning too. A little better at Strong side. Long Strings, the best Strong Guiltless player in Montana. Kevin and I got him on the Tripless links though. :wink:

So much more to talk about. Gotta go live in the real world and get drunk. Ben's on his way over right now... :D
Evan Lovely
Twitter
Personal Site
Sole Purpose Footbag Convert
Portland, OR

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 07 Jun 2005 11:27

Kicked a wee bit last night. At work I hid in the corner and tried my hand at spins. I don't get it. I can gyro just fine but I can't spin. Didn't get a single spinning clipper. Lots of spinning toes, but no spinning clippers. When I got home I put on Jorden videos and played a daft punk cd over his songs and it was crazy. He played to the beat of every single song pretty much perfectly except for when he'd go for spins or ducks. I was going to just go for consecutive kicks but sure enough, Jorden's videos pushed me. Did consecutive kicks for four to five songs and then went into consecutive toe stalls for another song when that started to get boring with interspersed twos. This was all dropless until the dreaded ground stall :? After this I was too tired to do anything. My endurance sucks. I was struggling to hit mirages after that. but eventually it started to come back. My Atomics flipped flips! I was stoked about that. My flip atomic was all of a sudden going up to my chin and sometimes hitting it. My strong atomic sucked bunghole and could barely do atom smashers and legbeaters. Tried gyro clippers out of my torques and got it bsos for the first time and got one solid nuclear set out of a torquethat went a little above my belly button. Too bad I was retarded and couldn't hit anything out of it :evil: After that I just flat out quit, stretched, and iced my patellar tendon. I'm going to start taking msm glucosamine and chondritin. I took it for a few months and it worked wonders, and when I got home from college, I just kind of forgot about them. With how hectic this summer has been with work and trying to get shit done I find myself eating one to two meals a day at most. I need to plan shit out and start getting healthy again.

Peace
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 07 Jun 2005 19:18

I had a really good shred sesh outside of the Mansfield Library today. I finally started hitting long strings and my 3 adds that I usually hit. A couple of freshman stopped by and watched me kick for awhile. They thought I was pretty good. Then Kevin came out and showed them some mad hack skills. I was really stoked when I hit pixie symple butterfly today on my strong side; pretty much because I've had contact with dimwalk on my weak side and my pixies suck on my strong side. Later on I hit ducking mirage and tried zulu mirage for awhile, then stopped because I wasn't coming close at all and I was getting tired. My PLOs are coming along better, along with DLOs and strong side symposium pixies (I can do flip symp pixies better than strong side for some odd reason). Then some creepy old dude who was bugging this one chick must have thought I couldn't hear him say that hack was weird and that I was a weirdo. Then the chick stopped and told me I was pretty good and that "I could do ballet"...HAH! I almost told the creepy old man that he was weird because he was bothering this chick (when they came out I overheard her tell him that she really didn't want to talk to him, then he bitched some and then they walked around the hills for a minute before coming back to where I was kicking at). Oh well. I had to run back to my house for a false alarm, then I went back to the library to kick some more. I probably shouldn't have because I sucked ass wipe. I was doing decent until I tried magellans for awhile (I actually hit it once!), then my hip popped in an uncomfortable way, so then I stopped and now here I am. Too bad I can't kick tomorrow at out to lunch. Damn work. If I didn't need the bread, I'd probably be at out to lucnh. Oh well, I'll definitely be at the market on Saturday.
Sam Mayer

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 08 Jun 2005 13:08

kicked at Missoula's 2nd out-to-lunch for 2005. It was an overall decent session. Lots of kids joined in that were taking a field trip to caras park. Three or four of them stayed as long as they could. It was BOMB! Mostly drilled ducks. Evan gave me some spin advice at the end of the session that I will use to drill. mostly worked long guiltless strings with 4s and 5s

personal hilights:

whirling dyno
lots of ducks
styley run starting with ducking clipper>ducking osis>warrior>stepping ss clipper>up blender>stepping far clipper>string
footed ducking pdx torque four or five times but never got it solid
a symple run with symple butters bsos and symple near, far, and normal legovers bsos
fusion rolled off once out of about twelve tries, can never seem to pull that move off.
lots of barflys
some gyro clippers

Jeremiah was on fire today. he had a run with tons of knee bumps and knee bump ducking opp knee bump bsos into a lengthy string. tons of bsos merkins, spins, and bsos pixie everything. He was fun to play with. We ended the session with a duck off, legover>mirage off, alternating clipper off, and a butter off. It ruled. oh yeah, he also got spinning butter rake. He also got sailing mirage.

JAMES RANDALL :!: It's not gonna happen man. My dad planned out a whole day of shit in spokane and ripped me a new one when I told him that I would rather kick with you instead. I'm sorry man :?

peace
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Sporatical_Distractions

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 09 Jun 2005 07:54

An event took place yesterday that brought me great pleasure. No, not that kind of pleasure :wink: In high school almost two years back there was a hack circle of older students that I had asked if I could join in. I was a couple months into being a tiltless player. The kid that "ran the circle" had always been an asshole to me and said, "you can play if you're better than me". Part of me didn't want to join a circle that was centered around such negative values. the other part of me knew that I was better (footbagger arrogance :oops: ) so I said okay and he just hucked it at my legs really hard and said "ope, guess you can't join the circle" and then they enclosed me out. That had really really pissed me off and I didn't really think about it again until a few nights ago. Yesterday when we were kicking I saw that same kid and went on one of my longest strings that was mostly tripless with some threes. This kid recognized me and was too intimidated to join the circle. The footbagger part of me knew that I should have set the past aside and let him in the circle, but the vengeful asshole part of me wanted to get back at him. As stupid as it sounds that filled me with pleasure that sent me to bed smiling.

Did I handle this situation the wrong way by bringing negative energy into the circle :?:
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

The Randallizer
Shredaholic

Post by The Randallizer » 09 Jun 2005 09:12

shitty mcdeal

but I must say kevin

Epiphany>ripped warrior !
Mike Oxbig