Ask Jorden *Updated 10.28.05!* (whirl, gyro symp, torque)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Ask Jorden *Updated 10.28.05!* (whirl, gyro symp, torque)

Post by Jorden » 10 Sep 2005 10:55

Hey guys,

If you have a trick that's troubling you I might be able to help out.

Limit one per person please. Don't want to be sitting at the computer all day. Make sure it's a good one. :wink:

I encourage all players with a good grasp of concepts to do the same. Spread the knowledge! :)
Last edited by Jorden on 28 Oct 2005 17:46, edited 2 times in total.
Jorden Moir

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 10 Sep 2005 13:37

ok I'll start. Can I have some tips on symp. bubba beater, or symp. pdx. eggbeater. I'm about as close to each. What I do is this:

- I set high (between chest and waist)
- I jump high and try to dex as high as possible.
- I usually hit the bag as I'm bringing my leg over to do the legover.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 10 Sep 2005 14:10

Sorry to clog the thread w/ non-jorden advice but i can help with the symp bubba beater advice. Start your jump as early as possible- this is very important. In fcat, i'd say be jumping as the bag i still rising. Dont set the bag too much higher that waist high, because it is not necessary and just makes the trick harder. About hitting the legover, well . . . you just need to be more conscious of "leading with your heel" and swooping around the inside of the bag when hitting that last dex. Make that the part of the move where you focus most of your attentional resources. Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing vids of you hitting it easily and hearing jorden's advice.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Sep 2005 14:14

maybe this can be where we ask jorden what we want advice on, and then he starts a thread on the move or concept in Trick Tips? the way it's going now will bury advice where it will be less useful than if a thread was started.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 10 Sep 2005 14:20

Also, Jorden should make demonstration videos, diagrams, and a powerpoint presentation. This will be weighted highly in your final grade and will reflect on the amount of work you do in this class.

.... 8O
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 11 Sep 2005 10:25

bs downtime blur

i've hit this before and the pdx counterpart, but that seemed to be just a one day thing. any advice?
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Jimpenske
Fearless

Post by Jimpenske » 11 Sep 2005 14:16

How do I do a legover Jordan?

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 11 Sep 2005 15:55

Jimpenske wrote:How do I do a legover Jordan?
Damn it, Jim. Stop wasting space! :x :P Hey Jorden, could you give me some advice on quantum sets?
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 11 Sep 2005 19:36

Kevin, there's been a lot of writing already done in this subforum about the move you're talking about, it's referred to as Merlin, or backside downtime toe blur. should be here on page one or two...
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 11 Sep 2005 21:00

symp bubbabeater - (clipper set same side symposium eggbeater)

starting on right foot clipper:
- set just below chest height
- do a little hop and turn on your support foot after setting to get the bag positioned to the center of your body
- swing the right leg upwards to give yourself some extra height on the jump
- push off the ground with the ball of the left leg
- while in the air, bring the left knee to your chest as you a very leggy symp bubba dex just after the peak
- clear the first dex, tilt the right leg to get it to the opposite side of the bag
- straighten your right leg a bit, land and stall

Merlin (downtime bs blur)

I think of merlin more as a whirling leggy symposium mirage. Set knee-ish height, slightly towards the side of the first-dexing leg. Do a half-whirl (aka heel yourself in the ass) over the bag. Keep this leg dangling above as you go for the 2nd dex. Launch off the ball of your other foot, position your body directly OVER the bag as you do a leggy symp miraging dex. Think of it as a symposium swirl, only not cross-body. Bring the horizontal 'whirl' leg back down as soon as you clear the 2nd dex, level it out and stall! :)

Legover

First learn the infamous toe stall. From right toe, bend your right knee and lift the foot a few inches off the ground. Make sure the foot is in front of you and you can see the bag on your foot clearly. From there, bend your support leg (the left leg that is touching the ground), spring UP! and release the bag from your foot. Immediately switch your support feet. Your right foot should now be firmly planted on the ground and the left knee bent and foot off the ground. Tighten your left ankle and curl the toes upwards. This will prepare you for the stall. Bring the left knee over to the right side, passing over the footbag. From here, keeping the left foot tense, straighten the knee slightly, catch the bag on your left toe and presto! A legover. :D

Good luck Jim! We believe in you.
Jorden Moir

Jimpenske
Fearless

Post by Jimpenske » 11 Sep 2005 22:26

I meant from a clipper set. But thanks anyways :wink:
Hope to shred with you soon Jordan.

peace.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 12 Sep 2005 04:05

Hahaha, Jim that is hilerious.

Jorden, could u offer some advice on surging sets?

Thanks for doing this man :)

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 12 Sep 2005 04:24

That would be interesting because i've never seen him surge! Although i bet he can do it.

Can i have a tip on how to do: Grifter?
Alex Urano

ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ptaku » 12 Sep 2005 07:45

Ok... If I've only on I have to think about what ask you, and don't waste my question :P Hehehe

Fuck... I would like to ask you about at least 10 moves :P ...

Ok ...

:arrow: Slicing Far Butterfly and Slicing set generally.
Pawel Ptaszynski

"I know I can! Be what I wanna be.
If I work hard at it, I'll be where I wanna be."

NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

http://www.laf.org
http://www.wearyellow.com

Cod
Flower Child

Post by Cod » 12 Sep 2005 09:02

:arrow: Flail
Michał Biarda (Me-how Be-r-da)

footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by footjoe » 12 Sep 2005 10:44

he hits surging mirage in one of his videos I believe
15 year old Joe Kulacz

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 13 Sep 2005 04:34

Dr. Earth...
I'd like to be adviced on King Koopa (Spinning Ducking PS Torque) And Spinning Pdx Irish Cream (Radiative Gyro Torque).
Thank you!

burma
Multidex Master

Post by burma » 14 Sep 2005 09:24

:?: foe
:?: strong fearless runs tips
:?: long different guiltess runs

=0

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 14 Sep 2005 10:51

Surging Set

To be honest, I haven't quite worked with this set enough to completely figure it out. :?
A couple key things:
- stall the bag in clip and pull it slightly behind you before you set
- I like to think of surging as an arctic (frigidosis pixie) done behind you
- keep the stalling leg really in close to your body (I have my stalling knee touching the calf of my other leg)
- From here, it's a simlutaneous twist of the hips, twist of the shoulders, and pulling the stalling (dexing) leg away from your other leg and pointing that knee up and to the side - To help with cleanliness, make sure you are dexing with your upper leg (ie under your knee) rather than lower (ie ankle or calf). If you dexed with the lower leg, chances are you slurred the set. Good luck!
- watch Felix do them :wink:

Grifter

Make sure you have very deep illusions and bubbas before attempting this one. You're going to have a very tough road trying to hit grifters clean or with good form (no pain) if you don't. If you're used to dexing illusions with your ankle (or shoe for that matter) then you are not ready for this trick. Practise illusions with a more far to close dex rather than side to side. It helps to have a very high and horizontal leg when dexing. Once you are able to dex above the ankle (better yet, the middle of the lower leg!) you can begin.

:arrow: Good stretch for deep illusions:
1. stand facing a ledge, table or any elevated (strong) surface slightly above waist height
2. lift one leg, point that knee to the side and place the outside surface of the foot onto the elevated area (the inside surface is facing upwards)
3. Take some small steps backward with the 'ground' leg until you feel tension
4. Lower your forehead and try to touch the inside surface or your elevated foot. Go as far as you can and hold it for 20 seconds
5. Repeat with other leg

Ok, the trick... :) (clipper set grifter)

A few points:

- set about waist height
- bring the dexing knee upwards as the bag rises
- dex the bag with the lower leg close to horizontal, going from |in front > behind| the bag rather than side to side - as you dex, do a good hop off the support foot. this helps you do many things:
:arrow: get some extra height on the dex to pass over it cleanly
:arrow: your body can pivot a lot easier in the air
:arrow: gives time for you to twist your hips and rotate your support foot, so that the bag can get to your opposite side for the clipper

For a visual, watch my consec grifters in "Record Session" at the 6:44 mark. Dl it from my f.org gallery:
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/4561

Gonna go for a run or something. Will post more tips later.

Peace.
Jorden Moir

CheeseMan
Shredalicious

Post by CheeseMan » 16 Sep 2005 05:32

sounds kinda noobish, but i need help with the whirl. i can sometimes get the dex, but i can never get the stall after the dex. help!
Paolo Arce - HOY!

Do (not) read text in parentheses.