UNCHANGED: Physically impossible?

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Shredder-
Multidex Master

UNCHANGED: Physically impossible?

Post by Shredder- » 23 Oct 2005 16:47

Hey guys,

I've been playing for like a little more than a month. I have two Mr. Sandbags, a Sandmaster, and mesh lavers. I mastered not too much...: jester, clipper stall (not all the time with my left leg), pendulem, leg wrap, walkover, butterfly and all basic stalls and kicks. I currently am trying to master all 2 Adds such as legover and atw. I just wanted to know, how long did it take for you to master things like atw or legover? Did you start out by not even being about to dex it? I can hardly dex my footbag. I circle it then it drops. I jog, I wear weights, I exercise, so is there like a point that you need to reach to be able to master these tricks? I've been trying for like an hour a day for the past two weeks to master both legover and atw. I can't ever land one! I have like a big blob of fat around my legs and I'm wondering maybe it is because of that I’m slow? It might not even be a weight problem. When I try to dex one it like just hits the ground before I can dex it...I won't give up though. I search for videos and study 'em but I can never do them! When I try them, I go so slow. I really do practice an hour a day on them! Is there any needed exercise for them or something? I know it's all about control and maybe I don't need to go fast but it's like physically impossible for me. I spent two weeks on it and still I'm nowhere. Any help is appreciated. I searched on this topic for a while. I have patience and I know it takes time, but I mean I look at other people and they say the school the tricks in like a day! :evil:I also weight 126-128 pounds, and I'm 13... I don't know normal weight like if thats healthy or not (my teachers said it is though for my age... but I dunno..) but also I'm the fastest person in 8th-10th grade at our school and I'm like 5'8.
o (^_-) O
Dominik Walczuk
13 years old
Hawaii Shredder

ninja
BSOS Beast

Post by ninja » 23 Oct 2005 18:32

Not impossible. Thats just what u think when u can hit anything. Keep practicing and dont give up. You eventually hit them and go hey theyre not impossible after all. Then you will try even harder things and go theyre impossible....

If you look around lots of ppl post things like this. Everyone had to start somewhere.
Clayton Chin

Yellow Watchbagger
Multidex Master

Post by Yellow Watchbagger » 23 Oct 2005 18:51

Shredder, yo check out my vids in the multimedia section..its not IMPRESSIVE but it will DEFINATLEY help you master legovers and atws..and even clippers for that matter cuz im kinda in the same posistion as you..meaning im 15 yrs old..5' 11...and 125 pounds..and have also been playing about a month (everyday for a hour or more like you).., watch my vids closely i guess(i do mainly legovers,atws, and clippers)..hope my videos help..i can do legovers and atws preety much everytime...and ive been playing for about a month..so if i can do it..u can to!!..its all about timing man..not about speed really...practice atws and legovers w/out the bag, it may sound stupid but if u practice dexing constantly..u can get the motion down faster and then dexing moves will come easier...peace hope this helps cuz i no how u feel... :wink:
Ethan Wise

diagnosed with testicular cancer dec. 30, 08.

must beat it to start baggin' again!

freestyler4life
BSOS Beast

Post by freestyler4life » 23 Oct 2005 19:39

yeah dude, everyone starts somwhere, its ok that your not progressing as fast as you want to, you said it yourself, those 2 adds are not about speed but control (legover, mirage, pickup, illusion,).Just keep trying and if you can get around it but not stall/delay it, just focus on getting a foot on it first. hope that helps a little..........

Shredder-
Multidex Master

Post by Shredder- » 23 Oct 2005 23:18

I know its not impossible but I'm just saying its been a while since I started trying to master these tricks and I can't find a way throught them. And Ethan, I have bookmarked your vid's. I look at 'em daily (not kidding). It has helped me..kinda.. I do all the exercises I find for footbag and everything. I'm just saying its a slow progress... I keep thinking I can do it and have confidence but apparently its not a mental thing for me, just how I get control physically. Thanks everyone for replying, it has helped me a bit :P And I'm just wondering, how long was it before you were able to hit a legover or atw? Did you keep like going really slow at first and can't even hit it?
o (^_-) O
Dominik Walczuk
13 years old
Hawaii Shredder

Yellow Watchbagger
Multidex Master

Post by Yellow Watchbagger » 23 Oct 2005 23:26

haha well i hope my vids will help u..u can exspect more in the future...it took me about a day to 'land' atws and legovers..but im still practicing them..i havent fully mastered them..but im getting there..everybodies diff. tho man..
Ethan Wise

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Oct 2005 03:47

The first few months of learning footbag are definitely the hardest. It took me a really long time to master those moves - the best advice I can give is to practice as much as you can. Also try to do the action in slow motion without the bag and work on this lots. You need to aim to build your co-ordination of your legs - this is the most important skill to learn at the moment.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 24 Oct 2005 10:50

dexercise= exercise to strengthen and increase speed of muscles used to perform dexes.

Find a thin object approx 2-3 feet high that sticks up from the ground. Something like an orange traffic cone will due, as long as the object is no more than about 6 inches in diameter. Position that object in front of you, stand on one leg, and using the other leg, move the dexing leg clockwise around the object, making tight, circular leg movements, keeping the knee as immobile as possible. In other words, the leg motions are done solely with the lower leg. You should keep your toes pointed toward the ground initially. Circle the objct about 30-50 times, then switch legs. Repeat for 5-10 minutes every day for a week to improve dexing speed.

Also, learn to set by lifting at the knee, wait, then dex with lower leg, then catch by keeping the toes pointed up. A lot of people try to rush the dex so that the bag never gets off of their toes before they start circling the bag. This cause the bag to fly off their foot. Maybe imm make an instructional video to explain what im talking about.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 24 Oct 2005 15:00

Not to be insensitive, but I'd say you better get used to it. Even when you have hit the tricks you are having trouble with now and even when you don't even bother with those tricks because you are so good, you will still wish you were better. That's the paradox of footbag. No matter how good you are, you always wish you were better. Why else would you practice?

But, like Jeremy said, the first few months are the worst because you can't put much of a run together, but it will get better, I promise. I read a post, I think by Lon Smith, that said something to the effect of: the better you become at footbag the more fun you have. So don't worry, if you practice, you WILL get better and you will have more fun.
Shredder- wrote:And I'm just wondering, how long was it before you were able to hit a legover or atw? Did you keep like going really slow at first and can't even hit it?
First off, it's not good to compare yourself to others, but I understand, I do it too. :oops: :) So to answer your question, it took me about 2 weeks to hit legover, mirage, atw, and clipper both sides. Now, I had circle kicked for 4 years before that and I could do toe stalls easy.

I've noticed that footbag progression isn't always constant. Sometimes you will get better really fast and sometimes it will take a month to see any improvement. So, most of all just try and have fun and keep practicing.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Shredder-
Multidex Master

Post by Shredder- » 24 Oct 2005 18:17

Wow, you guys helped a lot. Mentally, I'm getting better. I hit my first atw today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: I didn't stall it though... I dexed it and it hit my toe and fell to the ground... I did it once during lunch at my school and I was so happy :P. I tried it again and again and again but it didn't work. But now that I understand how long it took and I finally hit it! I notice how different my legs move because I would like lift them way to high and hit my chin. My legs like keep a steady shape. Thanks everyone so much! And Senor Grommet, I'll try that exercise, it seems useful, I'll find out soon. I practice as much as I can but I can mostly practice about 30-50 minutes a day due to school and a long drive from the school.. I only get to play for hours on the weekends. Footbag is the funnest thing I have ever done. You just take out your footbag from your footbags, throw it in the air and shred!!! I love footbag so much! It has contributed in many good things for me. I'm physically better (I run so much faster). I lost some weight.. I have a 6 pack (never really cared but hey..). And it's so fun to play and strangers are awed my an easy trick. :wink: K, well thanks again and I'll practice with all the time I can.
o (^_-) O
Dominik Walczuk
13 years old
Hawaii Shredder

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 25 Oct 2005 04:22

Isn't it too warm to shred at Hawaii? Doesn't you bag set on fire or something? And is there asphalt too to play on? I thought that there is only lava ash?

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 25 Oct 2005 07:22

hahaha, another tip for a noob... don't listen to anything Anssi Sundberg says ;) He's a sick styler, but his english must not be very good, always saying weird stuff and calling people jocund and gaylord.

You can just roll your eyes til they fall out of your head, Anssi Pantsy ;)
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 25 Oct 2005 10:22

Shredder- wrote:I won't give up though.
That's what we love to hear!
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 25 Oct 2005 10:40

Matt Cross wrote:You can just roll your eyes til they fall out of your head, Anssi Pantsy ;)
That makes me a veeery sad Panda... :roll:
-- Shut your [mod edit] Please don't use that word on the forum - Jeremy and go to brake your fingers with that guitar!

Shredder-
Multidex Master

Post by Shredder- » 25 Oct 2005 18:34

!!!!!!!! I can do atw easily with my right leg now! (I can stall it) 8) Thanks for all your support! When I showed everyone at school they were like 8O :P I tried to do legover but its a bit harder. I just need to learn atw with my left leg. Mahalo again for support, keep shredding! :twisted:
o (^_-) O
Dominik Walczuk
13 years old
Hawaii Shredder

Yellow Watchbagger
Multidex Master

Post by Yellow Watchbagger » 26 Oct 2005 03:33

good job trying to learn it bothsides!...keep it up(legovers arent too much harder :wink: )
Ethan Wise

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 26 Oct 2005 07:36

ana_ali wrote:[mod edit] Please don't use that word on the forum - Jeremy
Awww... I had just learned that from Jesse... :(

Shredder-
Multidex Master

Post by Shredder- » 26 Oct 2005 20:31

I can do legover easily with my right leg now!! :P I can do it sometimes with my left but it's a bit harder. It's true, nothing is impossible, it just takes time. Course I knew that but when under stress my mind doesnt think :oops: I can also do atw in and out with my right but in with my left.. Thanks for all your help!! Senor Grommet, that exercise helps! I do it every night and morning and I improved fast! Mahalo! I hope you make a vid so everyone can see it! I think I'll make a video of me shredding.. It could also help me see my mistakes.. Also, just a thought in my mind, has anyone seen a video of someone playing barefoot? Just wondering, I'd like to see someone play, I mean just to see.. Not important or anything...............
o (^_-) O
Dominik Walczuk
13 years old
Hawaii Shredder

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 27 Oct 2005 22:26

[mod edit] Please don't use that word on the forum - Jeremy
Hehe, that was the funniest thing I've seen all day. I'm going to go shred now at 11:30 pm :)
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 28 Oct 2005 00:30

this is a little late but dont worry so much about speed, its definitely leg control and muscle memory that helps u hit these tricks. repeating the motion will improve the move a miniscule amount each time, but these amounts add up.

get ready for more of the same feeling though... it gets better after the first months when the learning curve is like a fuckin vertical cliff but it still remains significantly hard for a long time after aswell. just remember that everyone who plays footbag (except a few natural freaks hehe) around the world goes thru the same thing day to day.

dont give up.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda