UNCHANGED: Help with DLO, Stepping Set and Pdx Drifter

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Matt K
Flower Child

UNCHANGED: Help with DLO, Stepping Set and Pdx Drifter

Post by Matt K » 16 Feb 2006 16:36

right well i've been trying to get these but it really hasn't been working out. I can come relatively close on the drifter and the DLO i'm just too slow but the stepping, i just don't get it at all. I come no where near that one so help would be appereciated (and on the other two as well)

I might post a video later of how i do them, but i don't want to hear anything about how i'm wearing pants and playing with DCs, thankyou thankyou

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 16 Feb 2006 16:58

Getting lavers and wearing shortie short shorts is a big, big, big help. If you truly want to hit Drifter and DLO, you need to at least wear shorts. Also, practice the different sections of Drifter and DLO until those parts of the move are solid, then you'll be able to do Drifter and DLO much better and more consistant.
Danny P.

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 16 Feb 2006 17:02

use the search tool at the top of the page, there is a lot of good advice in the trick tips section.
Jake Raye

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 16 Feb 2006 17:12

i actually have lavers but i really don't like them. i prefer the HUGE stalling surfaces of my shoes (plus i ride BMX, so theres that) at a small dex speed cost.

well i took some videos of my pathetic attempts at these tricks (and also some of me and my friends un-orthodox tricks) so if you could help based on these please.(in a few minutes)

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 16 Feb 2006 17:16

well so far i've got a knee stall to mirage and a drifter uploaded

http://media.putfile.com/drifter9

http://media.putfile.com/Knee-Mirage

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 16 Feb 2006 17:22

Is that a sandmaster I see you using?
Danny P.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 16 Feb 2006 17:23

yes i suppose it is. My friend stole like 20 of them from Zumiez and sold them for 5 bucks. i got mine on discount for my b-day ($1)

also, the rest of the vids:

http://media.putfile.com/dlo

http://media.putfile.com/stepping12

http://media.putfile.com/combo76

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 16 Feb 2006 17:24

that's actually a paradox drifter that you're attempting. It's an add 4 move. Very impressive.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Re: Could use some help with DLO, Stepping Set and Pdx Drift

Post by Tsiangkun » 16 Feb 2006 17:25

Matt K wrote: i don't want to hear anything about how i'm wearing pants and playing with DCs, thankyou thankyou
*dead silence*

*bird chirp, cricket noises*

*dead silence*

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 16 Feb 2006 17:27

shredzilla wrote:that's actually a paradox drifter that you're attempting. It's an add 4 move. Very impressive.
i actually wrote that in the title, but got lazy in the message. i can do toe drifters really well on the other side you see me trying them on, but my left leg isn't nearly as fast as my right

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 16 Feb 2006 17:42

Sweet, drifter's a key move and it's good you're learning it early on. Eventually you're gonna want to ditch the pants though to open up those dex windows.

Haha it's funny, when I hacked for a long time I actually liked playin in pants and skater shoes. Even like right before I got my lavers I was like, whatever my shoes rock. Everybody goes through that process I guess.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 16 Feb 2006 17:45

shredzilla wrote:Sweet, drifter's a key move and it's good you're learning it early on. Eventually you're gonna want to ditch the pants though to open up those dex windows.
i mostly wear pants because it's winter and, living in upstate NY, it gets quite cold. I mostly hack outside at lunch (though mostly everyone plays kill and only kill :cry: ) so i'm forced to wear pants. I figured if i practiced in shorts, i wouldn't be able to play in pants at all. so i guess not till it gets a lot warmer here will i be in shorts

and i have lavers and played with them for a few months, but they never grew on me

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 17 Feb 2006 00:44

You live in upstate NY? where exactly? there are some siiiick scenes near Albany, Rochester, and Fredonia...

And I get where you're coming from with the pants and DC's. It's nice to be able to play in casual street clothes so you can bust out tricks at lunch or anywhere else. I used to play in sandals and bigass pants outside during lunch every day in high school. So yeah, wear whatever you want. It's freestyle. Your shoes look awesome for doing those sole stalls.

Anyway, trick tips. How good is your paradox mirage? If you can get really good at that, then paradox drifter isn't far away. It's just a bigger hip twist, and you have to have a lot of control over where you set it. Focus on where your foot needs to be to end up to catch the bag.
I just looked at the video again. You are really close to it... maybe set a little lower? You don't need to jump very much if it's controlled.

Im not very good at dlo, but it looks like you need to start the dexes earlier. Work on getting a faster transition between setting the bag and being ready to jump. And setting a little bit lower might help. It's all about tightness and finding the bag at the end.

You are trying to do the stepping set with your lower leg. Instead, lead more with the knee... like lift your thigh up and out as you set the bag so it comes under the crook of your knee. This concept takes a lot of work to get the motion right. Watch some videos of people shredding and try to imitate how they do it.

footjam_heger
Egyptian Footgod

Post by footjam_heger » 17 Feb 2006 05:16

dlo and pdx dlo > straight back!!!

stepping set > are your clippers already clean?! 50x each side? otherwise no steppings :D

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 17 Feb 2006 10:09

Check out the first topic in this subforum.

You should search for trick topics before making any.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 18 Feb 2006 09:15

chris dean wrote:You live in upstate NY? where exactly? there are some siiiick scenes near Albany, Rochester, and Fredonia...

And I get where you're coming from with the pants and DC's. It's nice to be able to play in casual street clothes so you can bust out tricks at lunch or anywhere else. I used to play in sandals and bigass pants outside during lunch every day in high school. So yeah, wear whatever you want. It's freestyle. Your shoes look awesome for doing those sole stalls.

Anyway, trick tips. How good is your paradox mirage? If you can get really good at that, then paradox drifter isn't far away. It's just a bigger hip twist, and you have to have a lot of control over where you set it. Focus on where your foot needs to be to end up to catch the bag.
I just looked at the video again. You are really close to it... maybe set a little lower? You don't need to jump very much if it's controlled.

Im not very good at dlo, but it looks like you need to start the dexes earlier. Work on getting a faster transition between setting the bag and being ready to jump. And setting a little bit lower might help. It's all about tightness and finding the bag at the end.

You are trying to do the stepping set with your lower leg. Instead, lead more with the knee... like lift your thigh up and out as you set the bag so it comes under the crook of your knee. This concept takes a lot of work to get the motion right. Watch some videos of people shredding and try to imitate how they do it.
Hey thanks man, i live in Saratoga, like 30 minutes from Albany. Nobody really hacks like you guys do, we just have our own scene. Like me and my friend are the best in our school, but compared to you were nothing. We also have really dumb/odd names for tricks (like we just call Clippers: Jester Stalls, Butterflys: Over Jester Stalls).

Anyway my Pdx Mirages are pretty good, can't hit it every time but like 1/3 trys. I haven't played since Thursday cause we had a major power outage and just got it back.

And i have watched those trick tip videos, but i figured i could get more help if i had a video of me doing it.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 18 Feb 2006 10:31

okay, haven't actually hit it yet but coming extremely close. got another video to show my progress. for the one where i throw my hands up, if you slow down the video you can see that i got kind of under it in the air but it bounced off

http://media.putfile.com/DSCN0337

PS: Don't mind the NWA in the background, thats just what i was listening to at the time, so just turn off your volume if you don't want to hear it :D