Refraction

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

augustin
Shredalicious

Refraction

Post by augustin » 20 Mar 2006 06:30

Refraction
SET >> INSIDE [DEL] > (BACK) SPIN [BOD] > OP OUT [DEX]

Hi, i looked out if there was anything in this section about that moove. So, when i looked out at footbag.org, it is a 3 adds moove. But if we think about a butterfly ended with an osis, it makes a 4 add. Anyway, people seems to dislike that moove, and i was warned to not to do it (from many footbaggers). But if we think about a double over down ended with an osis (don't remember the name of the moove), that seems ok. I don't really get the point of not doing a refraction (a moove that we almost never see in vids). If i could get some opinion about it, it would be great. Thanks.
Augustin Tiffou
75 adds
RNH

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Mar 2006 14:44

Don't listen to anybody who says that *ANY* footbag move isn't awesome. Refractions are SWEET. Double down ending in osis is motion (or ocean is another variation...far, or toe-set, or something...). Lon and Allan do these sometimes on internet videos I've seen (refraction not motion). I actually don't really have any tips, I just wanted to stay on topic while addressing a few things.
I don't know if this is proper, but when I've done them I've thought osis in front of my body, but pulled behind the support leg. I'm not sure if this is clean or anything, so maybe don't listen to me :D

PS: I edited your post with the Job's -- I wrote it differently than Footbag.org because I feel this describes the move better, but I'm a little unsure -- feedback on that would be helpful.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 20 Mar 2006 15:14

yeah, i think the best way to explain refraction is a slurry symple butter or an osis where the bag drops between your leg instead of on the outside of your leg

edit- oh yeah, i forgot to mention...erik said it perfectly already, but to reiterate, dont let anyone else decide what moves you do...i personally think refraction kicks ass and i do it all the time. it can also be a very impressive and difficult concept when you put different cool sets on it. pogo (symp stepping) same refraction, for example, is a highly styley and fairly difficult 4 add move.
Last edited by slapdash21 on 20 Mar 2006 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

augustin
Shredalicious

Post by augustin » 20 Mar 2006 16:16

Thanks for your replies Erik and slapdash21. It's nice to know that people don't dislike that moove cause it can be very stylie. For the job's notation, i'm not really used to it, but i think it describe well the moove. Thanks.
Augustin Tiffou
75 adds
RNH

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 20 Mar 2006 17:30

Augustin, definitely do this move. People don't like it because it's very easy, but gets 4 adds. This is one of the bad effects of the ADD system. Keep it up!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 20 Mar 2006 19:07

Anybody got a vid of this move? I can't wrap my mind around it.

augustin
Shredalicious

Post by augustin » 20 Mar 2006 19:10

Thanks Matt for your post. I think refraction can be really cool with a zooming after. I think can definitely take an other dimension in the way we're using it in a run. It' sure that is an easy 4 add, as the osis is an easy 3 add. thanks for the posts, it's always nice to have different opinions from different footbaggers.
Augustin Tiffou
75 adds
RNH

augustin
Shredalicious

Post by augustin » 20 Mar 2006 19:24

Hi iron, refraction is like a butterfly, but the leg that is dexing delay the bag in osis position. The only vids that i've seen with a refraction is in videojam 7 (in the vids section). The vids to choose is videojam. If you look caredully during the battle between Robinson and Pierrot, Rob hit's a refraction pretty clean. This is the only link i know for this moove.
Augustin Tiffou
75 adds
RNH

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 25 Mar 2006 20:09

Isn't a refraction like a symp butterfly??? Thats what I always thought it was.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Lee
Shredaholic

Post by Lee » 25 Mar 2006 21:46

It's like a scoop from an inside delay to a clipper.

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 25 Mar 2006 21:50

think of it as a far legovering same osis - once u get ur legover it start turning and bend ur support knee enough to flatten your dexing leg into an osis.. if it's clean you'll spin 180 degrees or so.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 27 Mar 2006 05:56

So refraction is a butterflying osis and dyno is a rev whirling osis?
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 27 Mar 2006 06:29

I have always thought of it as a miraging op side butterfly and I think it can be done clean if the first dex is done big enough and the delay is not pulled through to complete the second dex. Dyno is rev whirling osis.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 27 Mar 2006 22:21

vid please...........

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 27 Mar 2006 22:46

Jon it almost sounds like you're describing dada curve.

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 28 Mar 2006 06:12

hackeysnacker wrote:Jon it almost sounds like you're describing dada curve.

Yes I am :P My mistake.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 29 Mar 2006 21:13

i will quote what daryl genz told me about a refraction.....

"Its a Glorified Osis" which it pretty much is, by itself its an ok trick but it look ultra sexy if you put in a ducking before it :)

speaking of which this week was the first week that i actually landed ducking refraction :D!

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 02 Apr 2006 14:36

I'm not sure if this is right but from what i've seen i dont think refractions are butterflies ending in osises (osi? lol). Say your doing the move with your left foot, in a butterfly you left foot would dex over the bag giving you three adds (+2 from clip) but with refraction i dont think that foot dexes over the bag like a butterfly, its just an inside stall with a spinning wrap thing so i think it should just get 3

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 03 Apr 2006 13:07

^^^^^
This is how I've always pictured refraction...like an osising wrap-around (does that make any sense) :lol:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

augustin
Shredalicious

Post by augustin » 03 Apr 2006 14:04

To get back to cammel explination, i think wa can see the refraction as a 4 adds moove (dex (1) + osis(3)). I'm considering the delay as an osis rather an inside delay cause the delay is behind you, and, as an example, we can have the feel of a zooming after a refraction, not with the inside delay. Also, if it isn't finishing with an osis, it's rather a some sort of butterfly than a refraction. Maybe 'im wrong, but it's what i think.
Augustin Tiffou
75 adds
RNH