Gyro Drifter (Vortex)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

shredzilla
Post Master General

Gyro Drifter (Vortex)

Post by shredzilla » 10 Apr 2007 15:42

Vortex (gyro drifter)

CLIP>BACKSPIN[BOD]>>SAME IN [DEX]>OP CLIP [XBD][DEL]

Ugh, schooled this for a while and came up with some great tries and footed it a few times, but I need a little more consistant approach.

So far I've been doing the set, pivot, turn head thing, then spot the bag, then go for it. But it never comes out that smoothly, and many times I'm not able to pivot far enough to make a good attempt at the drifter. Thanks.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 10 Apr 2007 16:53

Ugh I suck at this trick but...

set it close to your body and make the spin smooth and dont even focus on the dex it should just happen
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 11 Apr 2007 06:05

Set it low and at a slight angle kinda towards and behind yourself if that makes sense. Its only slight, you dont want to much angle or you will kinda be slurring the move a bit perhaps. Snap your head around quickly to get the turn happening, and try to have a fairly tight drifter dex.

Practice doing just gyro mirages where you get everything done with alot of time to do the catch. This might help you get in the right motion to just turn it into a drifter, not a mirage.

This move is very fun and easy when you get used to it.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 11 Apr 2007 07:32

I'm not super constant at this trick, but because I schooled my ass off gyro mirage I can hit it on about 60% of my attempts.

and I suck at drifters :D

school gyro mirage and it shouldn't be hard... like others said.
Mathieu Gauthier

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 11 Apr 2007 17:00

practice by doing a bunch of pdx drifters first to get your leg ready for that part. then practice by doing a bunch of gyro clippers where you turn before the bag peaks and spot it when it does. then practice by doing muted spinning clippers. then practice by doing vortex ;) as matt says, gyro mirage will help a lot too.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Apr 2007 13:21

Read the GDLO thread for tips. These two tricks are very similar.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Apr 2007 22:38

Good point.
I may have a decent vortex because I have a good gyro DLO.
Can you spin really well? Hmm. Maybe try consecutive "gyro" clippers, but with barely any plant -- this might help. The trickiness is in the plantlessness of gyro.

Setting low is also key for me. I've had to think a bit about how to vortex recently, since the drifter hurts my injured hip if I do it wong. I never really have a computer and a shred session at the same time, though, so it sucks that I can't give better advice by just trying the trick...

It's definately about a stop in momentum like a gyro clipper and then a drifter (though the drifter feels a bit different from regular drifter, of course...) Sorry, I feel like I didn't help much.

Get good at gyro...and get good at drifter >_____<Try> gyro clipper [repeat twice] > drifter > spinning clipper [REPEAT WHOLE THING]

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 28 Apr 2007 23:53

If your style hasn't changed much since your last video, then I suggest working on just your clipper technique. Gyro and drifter are both heavily sensitive to what kind of clipper you're trying to use. You will achieve vortex sooner if you clean up your clippers, rather than trying to practice vortex with an unsteady clipper, no offense.

Like Jorden has said a few times, experiment with clipper more. Try turning and bending your torso, limbs, joints, head in different directions and angles so you don't get stuck practicing and strengthening the only clipper you know. That way you will gradually build a better sense of how clipper really works and guide your form in that direction, instead of learning to make do with what you have now.

If clippers get boring, work on other tricks that depend heavily on a good clipper, like swirls, spinning clippers, plain drifters etc.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 29 Apr 2007 08:59

^^^^ The man's right. :wink:

You should learn how to hit each and every move in multiple ways. Like 'Trick X' leading into a pdx move is a different technique than Trick X leading into a spinning move.
Jorden Moir

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 29 Apr 2007 10:00

Eh, it's probably just a case of me jumping the gun on a move or concept. I just started schooling gyros for a while, and hit started getting decent at some of the moves, and even hit mobius at one point. Vortex was a big move that I wanted to hit, so I went for it. And I kept getting really close, or footing it.

I've kinda shelved this one for a while, and I'm sure when I come back to it it will be easier because my overall skill will have improved. Anyway, thanks for the tips, if anything it's good to have a thread for this move.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller