Stepping SS Clipper

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Stepping SS Clipper

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 15 May 2007 11:30

Stepping SS Clipper
CLIP > OP IN [DEX] > OP CLIP [XBD][DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/moves/3stepclip.wmv

OK, I feel half stupid for asking for help on this trick, but I can't get it. I know it's just a silly little 3-ADD but I've heard it's the best practice for stepping set so I want to be able to do them. I feel like I can't get my body out of the way to go back to ss clip. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Obviously, I can do stepping sets both sides, ripwalk, blur and crispy DLO aren't too much trouble. So it's kind of annoying that this move is eluding me. In general "blurry" moves are much easier for me than stepping SS, i.e. it's easier to go into an opposite side component moves out of stepping set than same side.

Perhaps I am not coming out of the set balanced. If so, how do I correct that? Please help :o

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 15 May 2007 13:27

I recently discovered this move after watching David's GRASS performance. I thought it looked cool and then I realized what it was. I had concentrated so much on ripwalk or sidewalk I neglected the basics. I tried it and got it first try.

To me it feel likes stepping, then left I just slip my leg back under the bag and land in clipper. Make sure you're setting sufficiently high and close to your body. Do you have sidewalk down?

As with all things stepping, remember to plant the setting foot quickly.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 15 May 2007 16:02

Just set it higher than your normal stepping moves, and it's fairly easy.

I would also suggest learning stepping ss clipper before sidewalk so you don't get lazy when you do sidewalk.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 15 May 2007 16:35

Try rotating your head and tilting it in the direction of the bag as you get ready to set. This sorta winds up your torso. If you're doing a right foot clipper, rotate your head counter clockwise, and visa versa for left foot clipper. Pay attention to which direction your nose and chin are pointed, because your eyes don't always point in the same direction as your head. If your head is pointed the other direction, away from the bag, then you are sorta wound the wrong way to do the dex, and the dex will take much more effort to execute, and can lead to injury. Try not to point your feet and knees too far in the direction away from the back too, cause that will force you to use too much effort as well. Really focus on lifting your knee, rather than jumping off of your dexing leg.

I've also been toying around this device for technique training: Try too look at the hemisphere of the bag farthest away from you, ie far side of the moon. That'll help you to bend and turn your head towards and over the bag, and also hopefully shift your weight into the direction of the dex, rather than falling away from the dex. I came up with this because I figured out I tend to look at the right hemisphere of the bag, no matter which side of my body the bag is on. I use this device sometimes when I'm working on flipside technique. If I'm doing a left foot clipper/whirl/swirl/spin, I would look at the closer side, the left side, instead of bending over to see the far side, the right side.

Please let me know if these tips help or not. Thanks.
Last edited by Dat on 15 May 2007 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 15 May 2007 17:28

its all about getting the flow of the motion with the dexing leg, once you know what it feels like your muscles will be able to do it ever time, its one of those kind of moves.
Ben Rea

Daniel
Multidex Master

Post by Daniel » 16 May 2007 06:18

- point your shoulders to clip (it also helps to balance out with the op arm you are doing the clip with)
- the power to rise the leg comes only out of the support leg
- deep clip (close to the ground)
- try to bring down the support leg fast as it becomes your standing leg again
Current Avatar: Me @ French Open, November 2006

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 May 2007 18:12

I find that the important part for a lot of clip ss moves is to break up the move into two moves. It's a straight stepping set and then the downtime component. I know that sounds silly, but if you can mentally break it up, I think you'll find it a lot easier.

You need to make sure you're in a good position out of the stepping set. If anything, you want to be pushing the stepping knee out slightly, so that the bag is more to that side than in the middle.

I also find, especially on my "flipside" that getting the foot work timing right is really important. I think of this as the rhythm of the move right. If you do get it right there should be two distinct and even "beats" on the set. Set>setting foot hits the ground>dexing foot hits the ground. If those feet are hitting the ground closer together it means you're not lifting the dexing foot high enough, and although you may find some stepping moves easier, you're more likely to be slurrying the set and you're expending more energy than you need to, making the move ultimately harder. If you can get that timing right, all your stepping moves will feel a lot easier and more consistent.

I would say that those are the two most important parts of hitting a move correctly; mentally understanding how it should be hit correctly and ensuring that the rhythm is correct.