Spinning

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

pips
Multidex Master

Spinning

Post by pips » 14 Aug 2004 08:43

I thought I'd start trying concepts and spinning and ducking seem like the best to try first. Anyways, I figured out ducking and just gotta work on it and find a way around my pony tail that gets in the way. Spinning. I tried it and I can't figure out how to keep my eye on the bag so I can stall it after the spin. I also kept spinning over and almost smacking my head off the ground or something. Any advice?
Chrissy Fryer

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 25 Sep 2004 21:07

ok I have absolutly no clue on how to spin correctly, but I was just thinking and the logical way to do it seems like to cross your feet and then spin exactly 360 so that there straigtened out, you shouldn't have to lift your feet off of the ground after the initial crossing. This way you wont overspin or anything. Don't know if anyone knows what I mean, it's like a dance move spin... Could anyone tell me if this is how your supposed to spin, or if anyone has tried spinning like this. I try it sometimes but I'm not quite good enough to spin well so I don't know if it's working or not.
Dustin Rhodes

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 25 Sep 2004 21:41

Here is some advice I posted on footbag.org a long time ago when I first learned how to do spins.
For spins, you want to try to watch the set for as long as possible whilst turning your shoulders in the desired direction of the spin. Spin with your upper body while keeping your eye on the bag, then once your shoulders are turned about 90ish degrees you want to spin the rest of the way using your head and followed by your upper body. This will allow you to spot the bag easier (and as it reaches the apex of its "journey").

So in brief, watch the bag as you set it while you begin turning with your upper body (mainly your shoulders). Just after you set it, turn your head so it is the first to come around and allow your upper body to follow afterwards.

This is all for the clipper set spin. I wouldn't be able to help you on the toe set spinning, though I would imagine you do roughly the same thing.
Sorry for the lateness Chrissy.
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

TwistedTorque
Fearless

Post by TwistedTorque » 02 Dec 2004 10:51

I'm a fan of setting the bag back behind me. Not extreme or anything, just a slight angle back. If you think about it, it will be right in front of you when you turn around.
And, oh ya...
BOTH SIDES right off the bat!
Evan Lovely
Twitter
Personal Site
Sole Purpose Footbag Convert
Portland, OR

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 02 Dec 2004 11:26

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet... watch that video that starts with the little girls running in circles in the gym, and with vaska doing symp whirling swirl without watching the bag. I think that's the video with felix doing double spinning clippers consecutively. You'll notice that right before his spins, his arms are straight out to both sides, and as soon as he starts spinning, his arms are straight down at his sides. Lately, as I spin, I've been working on havng my arms out, setting straight up without too much motion in the clipper (just a quick snap), and slapping my hips with my hands just as I start to spin. that has allowed me more balance, control, and speed in my spins (and anyone who's played with me knows I'm not much of a spinner). figure skaters pull their arms in like this to spin faster and tighter. hope this helps... and I hope it hasn't been mentioned already and I just missed it.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 05:00

chestnut127
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:52 pm Post subject: spins Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I can't get my body spins or my leg spins around the footbag to go fast enough. i need help.
Ogden 09/04
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Well for the bosy spins, its key to turn at the same time that you are spinning, si that you save time, so that there is enough tiome too spin. If you cant get your leg to spinn around the bag, might be because your legs are not strong enough. It could very well be that you are trying to hard, if you would just whip your leg at first and then let the leg go around it, its a smooth action. practice dex's around a pilon.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:21

AIvanyo
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:29 pm Post subject: spinning Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
hey guys, I want to learn to spin. I can do some spins already, but not on my flip. Whenever I spin I lose my balance, only on flip though. Is it bad form or what?

Representing The Ministry of Silly Walks
zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
spinning takes alot of time, it took me a good while till i could go around in a circle, what i did was ss butterfly>infity>spinning cliper, for some resson i found that doing a spining cliper from a infity to help alot, kinda gave me a kinda wind up i like to call it, other then that advice... spinning takes time just keep trying and it will come, just like any other move.

best of luck.

Did you hear?

Zachs not wack but clean as jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Erik Chan
the gimp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Yeah, I find it easier to spin from infinity on one side and easier from ducking clipper on the other. Also:
-make sure you don't lean
-set the bag straight up and THEN spin
-spot with your head and let your body follow
-if the bag is hitting your arms tuck them in
-think double spin and single spin will be easier (I've never tried this one)
ICQ Number
ashleyd
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
i dont know about other people, but i didnt set it up straight. well not completly straight. I set the bag slightly toward the direction i was spinning. I dunno, it helped me alot.

S.C. A.D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I dont know how good you are with the above mentioned moves
like infinities and clippers...anyway i'm a novice to freestyle and
so all components ( dexing, pdx, delay, spinning, ducking...)
share the same difficulty.
In order to get used to those sometimes unnatural movements,
i'm working at all of em simultaneously, at a base level, natürlich.
So i suggest the following: try toe>spin>same/ or op toe delay
for a start. Like that you get used to the motion and you dont
have to worry much about landing any trick .Try both directions
and you should get used to it no problem...
I hope that helps, shred on bro !

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady
BainbridgeShred
Dan Feary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I am having a lot of the same problems listed as this guy. On my strong side spinning I am fine, but on my flip spinning I lose my balance and usually stutter step dizzily to my right leg.

Any advice?

DJF

All cap's
Matt Cross
Footbag Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
when I spin from clip, I put my arms out and turn in my toe on my support leg as I do the clipper. I set the clipper straight up, and just as it comes off my foot, I resolve the turn in my support foot with my upper body (spin), and slap my hips with my hands. Bringing your hands down really fast helps you spin tightly and evenly.

To reference what I mean about turning your toe in and resolving it as you spin, see Big Add Chad do spinning moves. Watch close on his support leg.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good / oh, lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

www.mattcrossmusic.com - Click here to check out my sounds
habitat
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I think I learn to hit spinning on my flip solid in the past week. What made me learn is to NOT LEAN! this was my main problem. Also, make sure you delay, may sound stupid, but when I tried flip spinning clippers, I wouldn't delay the bag enough, and would set it off somewhere in space. Make sure to get that pump action off that set
Will Digges
Fearless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I suck at spinnings my self, i just can't time the catch right. I got the spinning all good but i just gotta throw it lower i think for it to catch on my foot properly.

Will Digges
Embassy Footbag Crew
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Alright. I also have a question concerning spinning, a technical
one if you like : why is a "backspin into a clipper stall" called
spinning clipper ?
According to Flipsiders concept list, at least how i understand it,
the right term should be "gyro" since you backspin to a near
component, in this case a clipperstall.
We had a discussion about this at training, and a shredder, who shall
remain nameless, said "gyro" implies a half spin and nothing else...
but that seems a little far out Confused , doesnt it. confusion. HeLP Very Happy

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady
sNale
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Daryl check out the Tricklist on footbag.ch http://www.footbag.ch/tricklist.php click on Spinning and you find a really good explanation there. And like I thought there is NO Gyro Clipper Smile

Du bist Footbag!
NuR
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanx Bro Smile

- bavarian zen koan -

www.munich-footbag.de

Daryl Canady
Matt Cross
Footbag Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
gyro clipper is like a clip set op osis, only you do all the spin while the bag is rising, and just catch it in a clipper stall when it falls. Spinning clipper is a backspin, then the bag goes across the front of your body again, and you catch it on the set foot.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good / oh, lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

www.mattcrossmusic.com - Click here to check out my sounds
ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Matt Cross wrote:
gyro clipper is like a clip set op osis, only you do all the spin while the bag is rising, and just catch it in a clipper stall when it falls. Spinning clipper is a backspin, then the bag goes across the front of your body again, and you catch it on the set foot.

It isn't 'true' Gyro.

"I know I can! Be what I wanna be.
If I work hard at it, I'll be where I wanna be."
NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

http://www.laf.org
http://www.wearyellow.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ICQ Number
ana_ali
Anz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Crispy Osis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
habitat
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
ana_ali wrote:
Crispy Osis.

ha, thats worse IMO
ericksonj
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
habitat wrote:
Make sure to get that pump action off that set

Laughing

Seriously though, make sure you hold the bag for a while before you spin. People who do a lot of shuffle and aren't used to slower moves tend to forget that and it messes up the set.
http://footbag.destroythesun.com
mosher
brutal footbag cronie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
ericksonj wrote:
habitat wrote:
Make sure to get that pump action off that set

Laughing

Seriously though, make sure you hold the bag for a while before you spin. People who do a lot of shuffle and aren't used to slower moves tend to forget that and it messes up the set.

I think this may be a big part of my problems!

Its possible that I have trouble shifting from shuffle timing to spinny ducky timing.

I fucking hate how easy one side feels and how retarded the other feels. I never even do the easy one because it makes me so mad about the retarded one.

I am going to start drilling these again, I'll post when I figure out something that works for me.
King Monkey
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
A tip i got was to put one arm in the air when you are spinning. Now some people think this makes it look ugly and too 'ballet-ish' but if you just do it until you have learnt the spinning set, then you can let your arm drop.

For example, if you are setting a spinning clipper from the left-hand side of your body, you would put your right arm up, not fully vertical though, as you spin. Somehow it causes your torso to spin quicker, or gives that impression anyway Razz You want to aim to have the bag passing under your arm at around chest height or so. It seems to allow you to spot earlier or something. All i know is it helped me! I really need to put it to work on my flipside. I cant set it straight from there!
Uranos
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
King Monkey wrote:
A tip i got was to put one arm in the air when you are spinning.

Dan Ednie style Wink
http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11782

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 06 Mar 2006 12:07

For spotting, instead of looking around the room as I turn my head, it helps me if i look down at my feet/ground and then up where I expect the bag to be. Kinda like rolling my eyes down and back up. I guess you can also pretend to look through yourself to where the bag is.

I think this makes it easier because you're looking through less space to locate the bag, plus it's a better way of predicting where the bag will appear.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

mitko
BSOS Beast

Slurry Spin. HLEP!

Post by mitko » 21 Oct 2006 23:46

:D sooo, i have very nice spin with the right clip but my left is slurry, sometimes more, sometime less, but its gettin me frustrated, if someone have a advice it would be lovely, thanks guys

[merged into one giant spinning thread - Frank_]
Dimitrov.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Oct 2006 02:50

Concentrate on setting the bag straight up and THEN spinning. Set and THEN spin; thinking this will help to eliminate "pulling". If it doesn't feel like you have enough time then you need to spot faster, which is also really important.

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 22 Oct 2006 06:30

If flip spinning feels awkward and you can't just set straight, it could be your flipside clipper. If your flipside clipper is off at all then flipside spinning isn't going to work. I bet the slurring is compensation for something lacking in your flipside clipper technique. Go back and try tweaking how your body turns, leans and bends when you drop into clipper, and also where you aim the clipper stall in relation to where you are standing. Use a mirror or a camera to compare both your clippers.

Edit: I forgot to say something else. When you spin, pay attention to how much each leg contributes to powering the set, and compare how you do it on both sides.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

mitko
BSOS Beast

Post by mitko » 24 Oct 2006 01:38

Dimitrov.

mitko
BSOS Beast

Post by mitko » 24 Oct 2006 12:34

Sooo... I've hadn't enough time earlier today, but hmm, i got the clipper ok..i just can't rid of that slurr with the left leg (I can hit it clean but max 3 out of 10, which sucks) i don't think the slurr comes from a bad clipper cause...you know Olaf, his spins are slurry alrigh (i don't wanna judge and i don't wanna insult Olaf though i dont think that calling someones spins slurry could be a insulting thing :P, sorry) damn i think i gonna slurr till the rest of mi life
peace
Dimitrov.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 03 Nov 2006 16:56

My slurry flipside spin comes from the fact that my foot angles forward instead of sitting straight. Freaking annoying. Keep forgetting to fix it.... :?

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Spinning Dizziness

Post by Slowsis » 18 Dec 2006 16:13

I get very dizzy when I spin and I can't skool them very hard, as after 3-4 attempts at spinning mirage or butter or whatever, I am so dizzy I can't even clipper. :(

HELP!!!

Edit: 1400th post
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 18 Dec 2006 16:58

If you focus on an object in the distance (or even the bag) when you come out of the spin you won't be as dizzy. Also when the spin is over stop your body momentum and don't let you upper body keep moving when you leg(s) are planted once the spin is done.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 22 Dec 2006 17:25

- practice gyro clippers
- set the bag closer to eye level so you don't have to bend your head down and stare at the ground while you spin. This will help you keep your axis perpendicular to the ground. At the same time don't set the bag too high so you're staring at the sky. :)
- spinning is a set. it is not a downtime move. spin while you set so that once you have spun you are staring at the bag.
- think about the footwork. practice what feels like efficient footwork without the bag.
- don't over spin, don't underspin. gyro moves have a 180º spin, spinning moves have a 360º spin.
- devote sessions to schooling ONLY dexless
- spinning practice is most efficient when you're practicing consecutive dexless moves, not like BOP BOP spin BOP BOP spin
- ducking and diving are good components to add to your dexless drills since the set heights are very similar. (ie: duck>spin>rpt, dive>gyro>rpt, whatever)

None of those are really dizziness tips, but that's what I paid attention to when I learned to spin and I'm not dizzy.

dudeguyman
Shredaholic

Post by dudeguyman » 15 Mar 2007 10:33

Usually i can do spin after spin without getting dizzy. i think as long as you catch site of the bag and focus on it after your spin you can pretty much go forever doing spin move after spin move. thats why if you do the spin but barely have enough time to catch the bag you get dizzy easy but if you spin fast and consistant with plenty of catch time you can go forever. although it's hard to spin fast and consistant without practice... so i guess my only advice is try to focus just on the bag after you spin.
-Cody Carter

summer 07 fire video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-iRplEimM0

newest shred video
http://footbag.org/gallery/show/14177

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 20 Mar 2007 18:55

practice consecutive spinning clippers
or
consecutive far osis

worked for me.
Mathieu Gauthier

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 22 Mar 2007 06:40

A spin is not really a spin. It's more of a 180 degree turn.

So, if you turn fast you have enough time to stop, regain balance, and catch the bag. Dizziness should be limited with this approach, unless you do multiple spins in a row.

After some practice you will be used to it and you won't get dizzy at all.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.