Atomic-Spinning (Neutron)

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 21 Oct 2004 20:29

TOE > OP OUT [DEX] > BACKSPIN [BOD] >>

I think I have a good Neutron set - that I've learnt of Lynton Stephens - who has an excellent Neutron set - so I thought I'd give some tips and use as many dashes/hyphens as I - can!

For those who don't know - Neutron is atomic spinning or gyro. The spin happens after the atomic - so without the atomic dex it would be toe set inspinning.

There are two ways the set is done. Peter Irish and Vasek (as well as others) do it by setting a high atomic set. Planting the atomic leg quickly (but still facing the bag) and then spinning. So when Peter hits Irish Cream (atomic mobius) - it's like an atomic set downtime mobius.

Lynton (and myself) do the set by starting the atomic dex and spinning while we are dexing. Some people would say that this is less clean than the Peter style - and maybe that's true. I don't think so and I think it's much easier. So on a good set the bag is still going up after the spin with Lyntons set.

So how to do a Lynton Stephens style Neutron set!
When you do an atomic set - you tend to set the bag straight up and then hop across it while lifting the leg up (so relative to you the bag goes across your body - but relative to the ground it goes straight up). With a Neutron set it's a little different. You still want to set the bag straight up - you should do this with all moves - but rather than doing the dex by moving across the bag - you want to do it by turning your hips - so you're spinning on an axis coming from your setting foot (which should be planted quickly but the plant tends to be happening around the time of the dex - so both feet are off the ground as you are starting the dex). This means that by the time you've dexed the bag you have already spun about 90 degrees. Now try and quickly plant the dexing foot so that it is another 90 degrees around. So basically the dexing foot should be facing in the opposite direction when you land from when it left the ground.

By this stage you have spun 180 degrees and you should be just spotting the bag in the corners of your eyes. You should have turned your head while spinning so that you can spot it as early as possible.

I hope this helps and people start hitting some more hardcore stuff out of the set. In my opinion it hasn't been explored nearly as much as it could be and I'd love to see some really hardcore neutron moves like atomic superduperfly. If you have any questions, comments or flames I would love to hear them!

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 21 Oct 2004 20:54

Thanks Jeremy for some really cool tips, I will try to follow them next session and hit a neutron smasher at lest.
Sergey Pikalov

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 24 Oct 2004 09:38

Thanks for the info wheels, I always have tried it Irish's style, I def give it a shot. Irish Cream for sure!
James Randall

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 17 Aug 2006 20:23

Personally I prefer the set>spin method, it feels much cleaner and it damn well looks nice.

edit: Atomic Gyro Drifter

Set as quickly and sharply as you can, dexing as quick as possible. Plant the setting foot turned 90 degrees and follow with your dexing leg, but keep the shoulders and head facing the same direction until the dex is completed and you spot the bag. As you begin to snap your head 180 you should be switching support feet (assuming you're going for ss) and getting ready for your downtime component, as you're not going to have a lot of time.

Although this method may be a little harder and may even limit what you can hit downtime (although I don't think it will) it's very clean and feels a lot nicer. I certainly won't diss anyone hitting it the jeremy/lynton way, but this is my way :)

This is a hot set, go pimp it.

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 18 Aug 2006 03:43

holy bump batman 8O

nice vid Jamie :D could the same technique be used for quantum>spinning ?

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 18 Aug 2006 17:15

Don't know, can hardly do a quantum let alone spin afterwards ;) But certainly you wouldn't be able to spin and dex at the same time, you would have to dex > spin

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

gangsta
BSOS Beast

Post by gangsta » 18 Aug 2006 20:37

Dex, then spin is wayyyy cleaner looking. Dexing-spin almost looks Slurry :wink: