Butterfly/Down

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 12 Jul 2006 01:56

butterfly should have almost identical (in height) hop as just a clipper, just raise your knee on the dex a little more to make the hole, rememeber to hop towards the bag and have the bag arch slightly toward the clipper (if you set straight up just hop more to the side to compensate). dex knee should bend less than 90 degrees. dont set too high at first, waist highish. I can do them with a really high set and also a set lower than knee, its not hard, if you trust your clipper. oh and maybe think about not bringing the clipper foot up too high to cushion the fall of the bag, it makes it harder
Plain, with everything.

Wumbo
BSOS Beast

Post by Wumbo » 28 Jul 2006 01:28

i catched my first real butterflies yesterday. from what i can say is that my clipper wasnt good for butter. i catch them now more behind me than in front of me, i also make toe butterflies a lot. thanks to all guys who gave me tips, especially to the polish guy at worlds!

lineman
Shredalicious

BUTTERFLY

Post by lineman » 03 Feb 2009 04:54

[Merged. -Moxie]

Hi,

I am having trouble hitting butterfly. I hit it a few times, but It never felt right. It seems my timing is a little off.

I always watch Anz videos, and he teaches to stall the bag and plant the support foot at the same time... but I have seen in many shred videos support feet being planted before the clipper stall... How should I practice?

My clippers are good... but the butterflies are killing me.

Any advice on how to hit it right.

(I searched other posts, but I didn't find any advice on "simple butterfly")

Thanks.
Caio Nery Filho
www.caiones.com.br

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 03 Feb 2009 05:26

First off, I will say that the "basics" WILL be the hardest things to learn in footbag. The movements are so foreign, that you really just have to create a pattern of muscle memory by trying it hundreds if not thousands of times.

For butterfly, I suggest you get clippers more than "good". If you can pick up with bag, not warmed up, and hit 25 consecutive clippers as a warm up without hesitation, and then do it both sides, and then do 25 clippers (alternating) you shouldn't have a problem doing butterfly. That amount of clippers will basically guarantee that you are good enough at them to move to butterflys. If you, perhaps can hit 4 clippers in a row on average, or you take more than 10 tries to get 25, I suggest really drilling just clippers.

It is in the "master list rules" section that there is a huge list of pre-made threads for questions exactly like yours. This thread http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... 169#124169 happens to be the one I think you are looking for. I just want to emphasize, that just because you can hit a few clippers "ok", doesn't mean you should expect to hit something 10x harder "ok" too. Good luck :)

I personally think you should practise butterfly the way that the "pro's" normally do. Sometimes you will see pro's "messing around" with butterflys because they are experts, like when Lon Smith or Allan Hagget just fall over the dex. But just watch for the (99% of the time) normal ones that you know they have mastered. If you really like the "style" that Anssi has, and want to look like him copy his style. If you really like Vasek's style, only look at his clippers and copy them, or if you just couldn't handle not looking just as cool as Johnny Suderman, watch youtube videos of him http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LrsfXfhknJo and copy his butterfly style. There is no best way, just really good ways that separate themselves from bad ones... :)

If you want simple butterfly, again, you should be able to do do 25 butterflies in a row, both sides, every way possible. Then, since you have mastered them more or less, move on to simple. Good luck.
Jay Boychuk

lineman
Shredalicious

Post by lineman » 03 Feb 2009 05:58

Thank you very very much.

I am sure I can't hit 25 clippers in a row.. but now I have a goal... :D

Thanks for the advice and for the very detailed reply.

Once I read that I needed to kick the bag 100 times before moving on to new stuff.... and I spent a week just kicking to get to it.... I was glad when I made it.

Now... 25 clippers... here we go.
Caio Nery Filho
www.caiones.com.br

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 03 Feb 2009 06:37

I'm usually all for "more basics, the better", but I think consistent 25 consecutive clippers on both sides is an overkill prereq for butterfly. I'd suggest to not quit working on your butterflies, along side working on clippers. The timing will fix itself as your clippers improve AND your butterfly motion will become more efficient.

Try drilling: Toe->Butterfly->op toe->Butterfly, repeat

Or if that's too hard: Toe->Clipper->op toe->Clipper, repeat.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

lineman
Shredalicious

Post by lineman » 03 Feb 2009 07:42

Thanks!!!

I'll try this as well...

It will be hard to hit the 25 consecutive clippers, but I´ll get there.

And I'll keep trying the butterflies until I can do it with my eyes closed.

NEVERGIVEUP.
Caio Nery Filho
www.caiones.com.br

Sean French
Circle Kicker

Post by Sean French » 09 Apr 2010 07:53

I just hit my first few dozen butterflies last night on my strong side from a toe stall. I was only able to hit maybe 3 on my weak side.

The issues I am having are;

1. I still can't wrap my brain around reseting after a clipper enough to transition from a clipper to a butterfly. Which probally just means I need to drill my clippers more.

2. I was trying to go from learning butterflies to drilling my legovers and my body kept wanting to do butterflies, it was like I forgot how to do a legover by learning how to butterfly. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm sure I just have to drill like crazy to get the proper form, work a ton on my flip side, and try to jump onto my toes more to lessen the inpact of landing on my dexing leg with this new trick.

BTW I have been reading the forums for about 8 months now but this is my first post.

Thanks,

-Sean

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 09 Apr 2010 08:51

Sean,

Happy first post! :)

Just keep trying the legovers and mentally separating the tricks from one another in your mind. When I was practicing clipper to op clipper back and forth, I would only swing my leg around to land the other clipper instead of returning to a two-feet-planted state. Now that I'm trying to learn to plant both feet before dropping into the op clipper, my body just won't do it. Muscle memory is a very powerful thing but with practice you will be able to think legover and do a legover or think butterfly and do a butterfly.

In general, the people that I've introduced to footbag have trouble with butterflies because you're jumping over and a little bit up in order to get your dex in but at the same time you're trying to remember to cushion the bag as it hits your inside surface. Most people perform the entire move too late and their catching foot is still moving upwards on impact which causes the bag to bounce or roll off. Start the move a tiny bit earlier than you would start the "magic hop" for a regular clipper and concentrate on the cushion. You may need a tiny bit more crank as well since you're moving slightly across the bag.
Last edited by RipWalker on 09 Apr 2010 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Bull

Sean French
Circle Kicker

Post by Sean French » 09 Apr 2010 11:34

Thanks for the advice! =)

I will just need more mental training to separate the muscle memory in my head, but it was crazy, at the time as it was almost like my brain was telling me "File not found" when I was trying to think "Legover" =P

I'm sure with more than one days training on the butterfly I will be able to separate these more effectively. Practice, practice, practice!

-Sean

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 08 Apr 2011 03:24

Alright, I'm looking for advice on doing Down's & Clippers with 1 step.

I have Clippers & alternating 2 step Clippers dialed on both sides and i can do Down's from toe no problem. But whenever i try infinity's the landing either feels rough and its hard to perform the next one or the bag just rolls off probably because of the way i set it.

I need to know specific things like:

1. Set height?
2. Should i set straight up or arc it?
3. Should the support leg hop backwards or to the side?

I can probably put together a short video if necessary.
Antonio Pirrotta

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 24 Apr 2011 10:22

Pirotta, I believe set height won't matter too much because, well - ducking down vs. down. However timing is something that this trick i believe confuses a lot of people. I myself tend to start too early. Just make sure you pay attention to when you start the dex, you may be able to wait longer or need to start sooner.

Set up vs arc. I always say in the middle, sets are very important for this too, so once you figure out how to nail that set perfectly on one side, try and figure out what made it so good and what differs from the other side.

not sure about support leg. However i would recommend paying attention to ankle crank too. I have a habit of getting lazy with downs/ butterfly's and dont crank my ankle 100%. I was going to write cranking it 100% makes it way better for this move but i believe cranking it 100% on every move helps so.. Just try and pay attention to your crank too!
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 26 May 2011 01:03

Bit of a late response but thanks for the advice. My Infinity's have gotten a bit better but i still cant rpt for 10 contacts yet (my record is 4).
Antonio Pirrotta