popping in leg

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Troyson
Fearless

popping in leg

Post by Troyson » 15 Sep 2005 13:22

recently i noticed that when i do ATW with my left leg something pops near where my groin is but moreso in my leg...it happens whenever i dex with my left leg but not in my right...it doesnt really hurt or anything but its annoying as fuck..does anyone know why this happens?

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 15 Sep 2005 13:30

Try doing more hip flexor stretches. If you read where Lon posted about the knee flexor stretch, you basically do the same thing except stand with your feet about shoulder length apart, place your hands on your hips and rotate your pelvis in a circular motion about ten times one way and about ten times the other. That stretch worked for me in my army days. If that doesn't work, try something else. Hope it works for you.
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

Troyson
Fearless

Post by Troyson » 18 Oct 2005 10:53

ive been trying that for some time now but it still hasnt went away...ive went to physical therapy also but the exercises i was told to do dont help much...does anyone have anything else that might help me out? what i have is called cracking/popping hip syndrome or something like that.

Bander87
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Bander87 » 18 Oct 2005 11:55

Same here sometimes. I think you just have to get used to it, not sure.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 07 Dec 2006 14:22

I've been combatting this problem for about 2 months now. (Minus playing non-stop for 3 days at SJFF) But besides that :wink: , I've been resting and it's been getting better, but very, very, very slowly. It sucks.

I've looked online for what the problem is and I think it's caused by one of the tendons in the hip getting inflammed (overuse/injury) and catching on the hipbone when you move your leg a certain way. Then as the leg moves back it pulls the tendon until the force is too great and it snaps back into place. Kind of like rubbing a rubberband over a rock.

Ice > heat > rest > repeat <--- it rymes too, isn't that neat? (I'm sorry, I can't stop myself.)
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 07 Dec 2006 14:30

i have this hip popping problem. it pops right in the groin area when i pickup or legover. sitting indianish style with your feet pushed together... and pulling your feet as close to your body thats comfortable, and leaning forward works. i think they are called butterfly stretches. mine have gotten to where they not only pop when i footbag, but they pop when i get out of bed, and sometimes when i walk. keep in mind that cold weather will cause your joints to act up. make sure you stretch as often as you can, and in time it will go away.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 12 Dec 2006 09:22

As many other footbaggers I have had this problem, I been told that it was a form problem that was causing that, try to play closer to your body with your left leg and stretch it, after it will be gone it shouldn't come back if you correct your form.

http://www.footbag.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =hip+joint

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 15 Dec 2006 23:09

That was the topic I started. o_O Well, I can honestly say that it was a form issue... the advice about bringing it in closer helped a lot but it was limited to the insides and such. Sometimes I still experience the "hip click" but it's not as bad now so it doesn't throw off my balance or anything that it did before. In the 1st Tricks of the Trade movie, Kenny Shults does one stretch that I think he called the "Hurdler Stretch"... not too sure if that was it but I did those for a while and they helped a great deal as well.
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

Freestyle Al
Circle Kicker

Post by Freestyle Al » 21 Apr 2007 08:57

I've got a long life ahead of me full of it, being only 15 I have the same problem with my kneecap and my right ankle. Every time with both whenever I put pressure on my kneecap and whenever I move my ankle quickly.
Alex E

Caleb
Fearless

Post by Caleb » 28 Apr 2007 14:43

In a lot of instances, once you develop a pop/click in a joint it will never go away. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news there. Unless you pretty much don't do whatever causes the pop for years. Anyway, on the upside it's not necessarily a terrible thing to have. I have a pop in my knee when i bend it past 90 degrees. A lot of situations like this is where the tendons in the knee are so inflammed/tight that the knee cap is pushed out of its standard linear motion.....or if your quad muscles aren't developed the same on each side of the knee, which also pulls the joint out of it's normal path of motion. But you still, can move said joint. And if a pop is pain-free, it's just your body's way of adapting. The same goes for the hip flexor being forced out of its standard path of motion. There are methods of avoiding pops all over this forum, but healing them is pretty much a pipedream.

A painful pop is definitely something to worry about though
Steel City Freestyle

Caleb Abraham