healing time for soar muscles

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Dylan
Hack Fiend

healing time for soar muscles

Post by Dylan » 30 May 2007 12:10

so I have always been under the impression that if you want to train hard for a sport or activity you should practice and train every day.

because I believed this, I would always put in extra effort to shred every day for al least a month before a tournament.

but.....I recently had a conversation with a competitive body builder and he said he gives each part of his body a full 7 days to heal before he works them again.

surly one wouldnt have to wait a full week for your legs to heal 100 percent after a good hard shred?

he said that if you rip the muscle and dont allow it to heal before you rip it again then you are not gaining your full potential.

would it be better to shred every other day than every day in order to allow your legs to heal???

every third day??

what do you do think??
Dylan Fry

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 30 May 2007 15:36

[Moved to Health & Injuries]

I talked with a personal trainer who said that it takes a full five days for muscles to recover from a workout. I asked him how often I should work out (least or max) but he didn't give me a clear answer.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

freestyler4life
BSOS Beast

Post by freestyler4life » 30 May 2007 16:30

I dont think you can compare body building to footbag because its comparing muscle strength to muscle endurance and I definitly dont think it takes a whole week to recover from one hard day of footbag. i could be wrong, its just the way I see it.

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 30 May 2007 18:54

I did some skipping through the forest of wikipedia, and this is what I came up with.
[quote="Wikipedia "Strength Training""]There are many theories as to why weight training creates muscle growth. The most common and incorrect one is that muscles tear and during the healing process they grow back stronger. All muscle contractions are traumatic, this is mediated by the protein dystrophin. The function of weight training is to stimulate hypertrophy. Repeated training increases production of dystrophin and increases the rate of lactic acid metabolism, thus decreasing the amount of muscle soreness as a persons muscles become more developed. Weight training programs should therefore allow the muscles time to repair and grow, otherwise overtraining can occur. Therefore the individual should exercise caution in increasing the level of exertion. Muscle growth is normally completed within 36 to 96 hours, depending upon the intensity of the workout. Novices may work out every other day, often scheduling workouts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. As weight trainers grow fitter and stronger, it takes more intense workouts to fully challenge their muscles. More advanced practitioners may exercise specific muscle groups only every three or four days - since they are capable of producing maximum force output from the muscle, their workouts have the potential to damage the muscle to a much greater extent and require longer periods to repair and replete to a greater strength. Recovery must also take longer because high level forces produced by proficient weight trainers cause far more damage to the ligaments, tendons and bones involved; because many of these tissues are not heavily vascularized, it takes longer for them to repair than blood-rich muscles. Depending on the workout regimen, the limiting factor may not be muscular damage or energy levels, but may instead be the ability of the body to repair the supporting tissues around joints and bones.[/quote]
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 31 May 2007 03:05

you spelled "sore" wrong.

dasreen
Shredaholic

Post by dasreen » 31 May 2007 12:34

As freestyler4life already stated, you can't compare weight training and footbag. Even though you eventually need to build up strength in footbag, the most important factor is definitely that foot-eye-coordination, building up "muscle memory" (what a misleading term). Thus, the limit one should keep within is really rather mental - until shred becomes somewhat dull and boring. So I guess you will need some breaks now and then (which doesn't necessarily mean you should do nothing but try something different like cross-training or team sports) from your quotidian session.
Consequently, I go for daily practise. Note that professional cyclists train every day. Their day off merely means that they cycle rather slow (they call it to "open things up" - another great phrase). You may confer this practice by training components like duckings, spinnings, osii, (d)atws or maybe unusual stuff.

Dylan
Hack Fiend

Post by Dylan » 31 May 2007 13:45

I agree that footbag is more like running or cycling than weight training.

there are two types of muscles. endurance muscles and and short burst muscles. a sprinter is going to have much bigger legs than a long distance marathon runner.

skinny strong legs with lots of endurance and stamina are optimal for footbag.

besides every one of the greats over the years played every day.

but what about those days when you are so soar you feel like you have been weight training?
Dylan Fry

Michu
Hack Fiend

Post by Michu » 01 Jun 2007 05:35

Well if you're looking at vasek's legs. They are not so skinny^^ You don't need that much endurance for footbag like for cycling. In my opinion, perfect footbag legs should be strong like sprinterlegs. Just my opinion...
Michael