Bananas

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Bananas

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 10 Jul 2011 11:02

Hey guys, let's eat more bananas!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkAvcNjypOA[/youtube]

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Jul 2011 12:03

I ate a banana while I watched this video.

Thanks for the info, Ben!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 Jul 2011 19:48

Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Jul 2011 22:52

One of the very first times I met Jorden Moir, he was advocating the importance of bananas for footbag players. Ever since, I've tried to eat a banana after every session if I can!

Iron Clad Ben

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 13 Jul 2011 09:59

Muffinman wrote:One of the very first times I met Jorden Moir, he was advocating the importance of bananas for footbag players. Ever since, I've tried to eat a banana after every session if I can!
That's cool :) I'll have to make sure he's well-banana'd at USO. I'm not talking 1 banana here. My point is to eat LOTS of them! I ate 24 yesterday, and will probably eat over 30 today...

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Jul 2011 11:11

Iron Clad Ben wrote:I'll have to make sure he's well-banana'd at USO.
First, that's what she said.

Second:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlLRRha-E60&sns=em
[/youtube]

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 14 Jul 2011 12:31

Great video. I've just added bananas to my grocery list.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Jul 2011 11:42

I love bananas, and they're a good recovery food for footbag, but I've cut back severely on them over the last two years, since they're apparently really bad for the environment. The basic reasons are:

1. Bananas need to be shipped refrigerated, so they won't spoil. This uses a ton of energy.
2. Even refrigerated, they have a short shelf life, which isn't helped by how easily they bruise.
3. They don't grow many places, so they almost always have to be shipped long distances, which is particularly bad given bullet point one.
4. The US' history with banana producing countries, and how we've dealt with them (i.e. supporting repressive regimes in exchange for them being friendly to our banana exporting) is pretty depressing.

So while I love bananas, I make a point to not eat them often.

Just thought I'd be the devil's advocate and provide an alternate point of view on this topic.

dasreen
Shredaholic

Post by dasreen » 15 Jul 2011 12:58

Even though I read a lot I don't post that often - but on this, I really have to go with Ken. 20 bananas a day is ridiculous, sorry. I mean, I really don't care what you eat, but it's just not right to advise every footbag player to do the same, it's simply bad for your health and the environment. Don't take it the wrong way, I actually eat every day a banana or so myself, but you should be aware that this is a luxury food imported from far far away.

Moreover, as typical for any fruit, bananas have a high insulin index, that is,(in layman's term) mess with bloodsugar and you will feel hungry again only a short period of time after. And just while we're at it, one shouldn't underestimate the need for protein, even for an endurance sport.
rene

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Jul 2011 19:30

Luckily for me, bananas are grown in Australia and are typically shipped unrefridgerated straight from farm to supermarket :) Unluckily most of this seasons crop was destroyed by cyclone, followed by flood, so they cost something like $20/kg. So I don't eat many. However I recently joined a local food co-op where you get a box of locally grown organic food each week and this week we got two bunches of bananas! :D Somebody obviously has a good greenhouse in our suburb!

landon palmer
Shredalicious

Post by landon palmer » 25 Jul 2011 13:53

Frozen banana + food processor = delicious frozen treat

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Jul 2011 14:53

Props. How many ADDs is a Frozen Banana?
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 30 Jul 2011 17:05

Last week I shredded while eating a banana.

Recently I have been getting into green smoothies in an effort to cook less during the summertime. It's so quick, easy, and healthy that it became a morning routine. There's usually a few bananas in every batch, along with tons of greens, oats, and other things all smashed together in my food processor.
chris dean

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 30 Jul 2011 17:07

Q: What's Beethoven's favorite fruit?

A: BA-NA-NA-NAS
chris dean

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 31 Jul 2011 08:11

aren't bananas due to be extinct by like 2020 or something??

get your fill now!!
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Aug 2011 22:51

Pasquar wrote:aren't bananas due to be extinct by like 2020 or something??

get your fill now!!
No, but the media likes to run stories like that. They do have very low genetic diversity and are facing some bad disease though. In fact I think the main banana variety might only be propagated vegetatively (ie. one genotype, and is it triploid?), but I'm sure Wikipedia can confirm or deny that. Despite the low diversity and disease, I think there are enough plants being grown in isolation that extinction won't happen, even without genetic engineering.

Iron Clad Ben

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 23 Sep 2011 16:50

Jeremy wrote:
Pasquar wrote:aren't bananas due to be extinct by like 2020 or something??

get your fill now!!
No, but the media likes to run stories like that. They do have very low genetic diversity and are facing some bad disease though. In fact I think the main banana variety might only be propagated vegetatively (ie. one genotype, and is it triploid?), but I'm sure Wikipedia can confirm or deny that. Despite the low diversity and disease, I think there are enough plants being grown in isolation that extinction won't happen, even without genetic engineering.
The Cavendish is the main commercial variety and could be hit by the same fungus that ravaged Australia's banana supply (along with the cyclone). Banana supplies suffered greatly, but they did not get completely wiped out there. The cavendish could take a hit in south America (where the US imports all its bananas from), but there are over 300 types of bananas in the world. They will not all go extinct.

While we're at it... 30 bananas in one sitting. This is like the banantarian version of being the first person to hit nemesis
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p-jPcEYaMs[/youtube]