Spin me like a Ceiling Fan

Challenge your friends to hit tricks/combos you know they can hit, even if they don't!
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Summer challenges

Post by C-Fan » 24 Apr 2017 14:04

3.5 months until Worlds. Laying out my Worlds goals here, so I can hold myself accountable/inspire myself to push harder:

:arrow: Dropless in Finals
:arrow: Make Finals
:arrow: At least one dropless at Worlds
:arrow: 200+ point Shred 30

That's in the order of how much I care about them. I'm not sure what order I'd put those in, in terms of how achievable they are.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Well that went poorly...

Post by C-Fan » 18 Aug 2017 10:29

Post Worlds update:

I did poorly at Worlds. I made the strategic decision to scratch from all events other than routines, in an attempt to ensure my legs were as fresh as possible. I think this both helped me AND hurt me. It helped, in that my legs did indeed feel fresh every day I competed. It hurt, in that I didn't spend enough time playing on the weird competition carpet, and I never got fully comfortable with the way it moved under me. So maybe if I had done Circles or Shred30, it would have acclimated me more to the surface. Who knows. Anyway, not doing Shred30 meant I didn't attempt my 200 point goal. On the routines side, it was pretty much a total shit show. I think I had 3 drops in round 1, 2 drops in semis, and 4 fucking drops in finals. Embarassing really. I think the reason Finals went so badly for me, was that I made the strategic mistake of wearing sunglasses as a prop for the first 10 seconds of the routine. I had done that in practice, but that was all on normal surfaces. Given my struggles on the carpet in the first two rounds, I never should have risked introducing an extra variable to the mix. I think I had 2 drops in the first 10 seconds, and that's on me.

So no dropless at Worlds. I did make Finals, and I guess technically I tied my best finish in routines (5th), but overall it was really disappointing. I had a good routine, I had it practiced, and if I had hit it I think I had a real shot to win the title. So with that kind of ceiling, my finals performance felt like a punch to the face.

Sounds like Worlds is in Europe again next year, so this may have been my last chance to do well at Worlds. I'll likely be in my 40s next time it's back in the states...sigh. So on the goals side, it would be nice to get one more dropless at some point. I've got 9 for the career, and having 10 would be such a nice round number. Maybe I can make some future East Coasts or USO and pull that off.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Age 40 goals

Post by C-Fan » 06 Mar 2020 10:08

I turn 40 soon. I'd love to hit the following goals after my 40th birthday:

:arrow: beast combo
:arrow: 10 fearless
:arrow:  Quad dex tricks
:arrow:  Dropless routine?
:arrow:  Shred30 over 200 points
:arrow:  40 contact genuine string  

I'll post a video once I've hit a few of these. Hopefully I can hit at least a couple.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Spin me like a Ceiling Fan

Post by Asmus » 20 Mar 2020 08:06

You got this bro!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Thanks Moose!

Post by C-Fan » 20 Mar 2020 18:13

Thanks Asmus! I'm optimistic about the list. The trick is just going to be making the time to play. I had a good run for a couple weeks (end of February and start of March) where I got in a bunch of sessions, but then things got off the rails with family sickness and crazy work/life turmoil from coronavirus. We're still adjusting to the new "normal" but hopefully I can make footbag a part of it. Once I hit 40, I'll definitely direct my sessions towards my goals, and hopefully film a few (all?) of them within a few sessions.

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Spin me like a Ceiling Fan

Post by boyle » 25 Mar 2020 02:19

Those are pretty good goals but I don't know if any of them will be so challenging for you once you get into a run of playing. (That's probably the biggest challenge). Are you going 40 unique genuine or any 40 will do?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

40 goals ranked

Post by C-Fan » 28 Mar 2020 10:24

boyle wrote:
25 Mar 2020 02:19
Are you going 40 unique genuine or any 40 will do?
I was thinking any 40 genuine, but 40 unique would be a lot cooler. I think I'd have to somewhat plan that one though, to make sure I don't repeat a ripwalk or pdx whirl or something on contact 39.

On that topic, I think if I had to order my 40th bday challenges from easiest to hardest for me, it'd probably shake out like this:
C-Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2020 10:08
:arrow:  Quad dex tricks
:arrow:  Shred30 over 200 points
:arrow: beast combo
:arrow:  40 contact genuine string  
:arrow: 10 fearless
A quad dex is probably lowest or tied for lowest on the list, since I just have to fluke out one. If my furious feels springy, I can usually sneak out a nemesis or clownface, and if my furious is off I can probably do a blurriest or blurrier swirl with enough attempts. Next on the list is probably the Shred30 over 200, since there's a good amount of leeway to get there. Like, 30 unique 3s is already 180 points. 20 unique 3s and 10 unique 4s is 200 points flat. I could probably get there even without a planned combo, as long as I focus on not dropping. If I'm being honest though, I'm really shooting for a solid Shred30 which is probably closer to 250 points. Maybe I set that as a goal after I get the 200 pointer first. Next I have the beast combo, which is similar to the quad dex in that I just have to fluke out one. Also similar to the quad dex, a lot of that just comes down to how strong/springy I feel on a given day. If my PS whirls feel good on a given day, it shouldn't be that hard to squeeze out one beast. Next I have the 40 contact genuine, which I view as harder mostly because of the stamina aspect and not bailing. But genuine allows for pseudo bails like pdx whirls and whirls, so that's less demanding than fearless. 10 fearless will probably give me the most difficulty, since it requires stamina but also there's no room for error.

I haven't been playing regularly due to all the COVID craziness, but my past few sessions I haven't felt too rusty either. There's fresh snow on the ground today, but hopefully in a couple weeks when my birthday hits it'll be warm enough to get in some sessions and start crossing some of these off the list.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

About right

Post by C-Fan » 04 May 2020 10:27

I've had around 10 sessions since my last post, and I think like 6 since turning 40? Anyway, my initial predictions have been pretty accurate. I've had by far the most success with quad dexes and the least success with the challenges involving stamina. Overall my progress on these has been a lot slower and more labored than I expected. I thought I'd be getting like one video clip per session but my hit rate has been a lot lower. I've had other variables that have affected that (weather, failing equipment, new shred spots, etc.) but even taking those into account its been harder and slower than expected. I guess that's a sign that maybe they are good challenges?

Anyway, might be a bit longer than expected before I get enough footage to make a video. Or I guess if it goes really badly, I may just give up and release what I currently have. Knowing how stubborn I am though, I'll probably grind a few of these out even if takes a lot longer than I'd hoped.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Worlds 2020 vs. Age 40 goals

Post by C-Fan » 24 May 2020 21:09

Online Worlds has been announced, which has impacted a bunch of my Age 40 goals. The good news is that it's already made me push to improve on some of my Age40 goals, the bad news is it means the actual video is probably going to come out like 2 months later than it would have if there were no Worlds.

:arrow: Shred 30. My original stated goal was over 200 pts, which I eventually realized was too low. Before Worlds was announced the best I had managed was a 242, which I was tempted to settle with. Now that Worlds is online and has Shred30 though, I am very much in the hunt to improve on that. I think a score in the 250-260 range is in reach, so I'm back to grinding Shred30s.

:arrow: Beast combos. When Worlds was announced, this seemed like the goal most likely to be dumped. Then I realized that a Sick 3 could be a beast, so now I have some incentive to try and hit a couple more beast combos.

:arrow: 10 fearless. Worlds likely doesn't impact this one, as the only place where I'd be incentivized to hit this would be in the Shred Off event.

:arrow: Quad dexes. Same as above, unless I could somehow work a quad into a Sick 3. Regardless, this was the one challenge I wasn't struggling with before, so minimal impact is fine.

:arrow: 40 genuine. The Shred Off event strikes me as a good motivator for this.

In my original list of Age 40 goals I actually had "dropless routine," but I took it out in later versions since I thought I'd have no opportunities to do a routine. That has obviously changed now, so Worlds has put that back on my list in a big way.

In summary, the announcement of an online Worlds should motivate me to hit more of my Age 40 goals or to make them better, though it will also delay the video by a bit. I think that's a fine price to pay.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Worlds 2020 vs. Age 40 goals

Post by C-Fan » 06 Dec 2020 23:48

Never updated this after Worlds.
C-Fan wrote:
24 May 2020 21:09
Online Worlds has been announced, which has impacted a bunch of my Age 40 goals.

In my original list of Age 40 goals I actually had "dropless routine," but I took it out in later versions since I thought I'd have no opportunities to do a routine. That has obviously changed now, so Worlds has put that back on my list in a big way.
Thankfully, I did manage to achieve that goal.

Dropless first rounder:

Dropless final routine: