3rd Quarter Online Competitions Official Release!

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 25 Oct 2007 19:15

David’s Thoughts on the Sick Ones
(honest, but with good intention)

Summary: I downloaded these before my stupid internet got reduced to 56k. I am not ranking people, I am simply writing my thoughts. I am not ranking because I think ranking is dumb because there is no good judging system for this. Really, if you entered and hit a trick that was really hard for you, you won. If you hit a trick your good at with really good form and super clean, you won. If you tried 30 times to hit a trick and the’d it, you lost. You really lost.

The point of these things in my opinion is not to win. It is not to go out and film a combo or trick 30 times before you hit it. The goal is to take a nice trick that you are proud of and hit it WELL. Well is not subjective. No one can argue that a trick with good posture and clean is hit well. If you are falling all over the place and you don’t dex, everyone can agree that is poor execution. Style is subjective, but hitting a trick nicely should be agreed on by everyone.

I applaud those who enter these competitions, but I also don’t encourage them. They teach you to focus on big tricks and links rather than what is important. If you win a sick 3 but can’t hit 50 infinities, we have a problem. I hope these competitions are viewed as a side element of your practice, not the main thing. Maybe it is impressive to win one of these, but in real life it is much more important to hit 20 contacts every time you touch. So, without further ado, here are my thoughts (with help):

Anssi – I think this trick is really cool. It pretty much falls into your realm of all the shit your good at, so it’s a nice choice. You make it look pretty easy. My only real issue is the last dex and the falling away from the bag at the end. The trick is not nailed, it is hit and faded. The 2nd dex is the. But I don’t care. Like, I really don’t. Here is a controversial statement: when you the something, its just bad luck. Listen, I hit nemesis the same way every time I try it, and sometimes it’s the, and most of the time its clean. Its just luck. I mean, yea I try to get a nice set and whip around, but shit, if the bag falls too fast and I push it through, its just bad luck. You were off balance and the last dex pushed through, who cares. Im all for calling out the, but I think on some stuff it really is just bad luck. Like, I know you can hit a clean shaft. Shit, you probably hit them better than me. So just cuz this one is a little off doesn’t mean it’s a bad trick or doesn’t count. Anyway, I don’t think you could’ve played out of it if you wanted to. I guess that’s not too important. Anyway, the first clipper is good, the set is very nice, good duck etc. Good posture for 75% of the trick. I like the timing of your foot switch. Overall there’s not much to be said advice wise, since I’ve never hit this thing. You have good posture and you look nice, so props. If you hit this in real life just like you did here no one would give you shit and we’d probably all freak out. Well done.

Kevin: Good trick, weird execution. My two issues:
- The spin. The release is just a little too late for me. Its not slurred but its not super divided. Its ok and I don’t really mind, im just saying. When I do this trick I think of it as two distinct parts. Its easy to get overwhelmed and focus on the superfly too much, but you really have to break it down and get a nice set first. You do get a nice set height/placement wise, but the style could be different. But its not terribly pulled or anything so I don’t really care. I didn’t cringe, and I was happy to see it placed so well for you, because it’s a hard trick to nail the set on.
- The dexes. I don’t know whats wrong with them but they don’t look right. I just want to say they are a little bit too loose + the angle is awkward. So I can’t really say much, but I want to give you props on a few things. First, you’re in control for all of this trick. Your hop is very nice. A lot of people make this trick look like a mess, but yours is nice, I really do dig it. You have a lot of pop off of your superfly leg and that makes it look good. Youre not chasing the set either, which is great. Really I would just like to see this from a better angle and with a little more divided set, but either way well done. I think you can clean that superfly no problem.
- Lastly, I really like how this trick isn’t one that you hit a lot. I didn’t see you do too many superflys at worlds, so this was a nice surprise. Keep it up.

Mathieu – Nice set when we are talking about spin, but it’s a little lofty height wise, but who cares you hit it, right? It looks fine for about 80% of the trick, you come around, stop in the right spot, get the dex, right on. The only problem is that osis. Here’s what I would try to tell you in real life.
- you want to focus on the hip pivot on the pdx first, don’t even think about the osis. Think about twisting your hips so after the dex is done your already turned and the bag can fall into the clipper so you don’t have to scoop. This is accomplished best by not committing fully to the spin. If you spin and then are like “ok ready!â€
david

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 25 Oct 2007 20:02

wow, dave. you really did take a lot of time on that. seriously, that whole post was the most genuine thing ive read on modified. all these tricks are waaaay above my level, but reading about the hop and the ball of the foot and turning into ducking and the shoulders really helps me out even though the overall trick is not my level... ya. its really easy to understand your wording.

cant wait for your video you were talking about.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Mirage
Hack Fiend

Post by Mirage » 25 Oct 2007 22:00

Ok Zeb, I have no reason to not believe you when you say you didn't get it. I guess there's no idea of sending it again :P?
This was really a fun contest, it inspires me to push even harder.
Well, hopefully there will be another online comp before christmas, so my friend would get in too. :wink:

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 25 Oct 2007 23:45

Thanks for the write-up Dave!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 26 Oct 2007 02:03

Thank you dave that was pretty much the perfect effect these comps could have. Posting advice, helping others, i think this makes the comps so much more worth it. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Ill post within the next few weeks when the next comps will be established, and max if your still in need of judges let me know, ill judge if youd like.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 26 Oct 2007 12:20

david wrote: I didn’t see you do too many superflys at worlds, so this was a nice surprise. Keep it up.
lol, thanks David! I don't think I tried any superflys at worlds. it's one of those tricks that I don't feel like I should be trying yet but pulled this out of my rectum for the modified comps.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

chris-
Shredaholic

Post by chris- » 31 Oct 2007 04:07

here is my sick3 which didn't get into the video because zeb didn't recieve both emails of me.

http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/13104
Footblog
Christoph Alexander

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 31 Oct 2007 06:01

smooth, controlled, 3>3>3

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 31 Oct 2007 10:09

Novice Results are up!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 10 Nov 2007 16:14

Open Results?

I'm a dick!
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 13 Nov 2007 02:17

Isilwar wrote:Open Results?

I'm a dick!
nope I'd just forgotten to post them... have a lot on my plate at work these days!!

I'll locate them and post them today.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 13 Nov 2007 04:58

Thanks Max. :)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 14 Nov 2007 13:45

who judged open? specifically sick one.

performed well, i guess most of the moves that placed above me are harder, but A. i dont think all of them are even more difficult and B. not all of them were performed particularly well. im not real upset or anything, i just wanted to give my feedback on the judging, just to get it out there.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

JohnMacCormack
Hack Fiend

Post by JohnMacCormack » 14 Nov 2007 22:50

Somehow my sick one didn't even place so don't feel bad. Even tho the only thing "the" in my jiggle paradon was the last dex on my paradon, which i feel is acceptable considering it was the first time I hit that move, which I personally haven't heard of anyone else hitting, and the jiggle set was clean, yet sadly i get no feedback : ( oh well maybe next time. :D
"It's called Footbag"

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 15 Nov 2007 03:34

hey Pete,

I judged with the help of Isilwar and other judgements found in this thread.
From experience, you can't please everyone when judging a comp.

Although I won't change the results for this comp, what I CAN do, is to encourage you to judge next quarter's comp! Just send me a PM if you're interested.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 18 Nov 2007 18:38

Judging is cracking down these days.
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 19 Nov 2007 02:04

Will Digges wrote:Judging is cracking down these days.
Will, see my post above
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 21 Nov 2007 09:36

I just meant that judging entails a lot more now than just picking your favorite combo or move.
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew