Hot Osis contest - Taylor won

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 03 May 2008 10:55

so... when does voting close? it wasnt ever really specified by you ben. but as is, if first ranked was given 5 points, second 4 points, third 3 points, etc. the current standing would be:

Andrew 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 3 = 15

Ben 2 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 5 = 16

Eoghan 5 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 25

Taylor n/a + n/a + 5 + 4 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 2 = 24

Zac 4 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 28

so official rankings would be:

1) zac ! good job man, on reviewin i decided i do like your osis... it also reminds me of DC's :D

2) eoghan! your a natural at osis... ive seen you do them for minutes on end, it was the first move you perfected i think. love you bro.

3) taylor! way to mix things up! despite missing the first two rankings, you still snatched bronze! thats awesome. you have a great osis.

4) ben! awesome comp idea! and great job stealing fourth at the last second with your own vote :wink:

5) andrew! i personally dont think you deserved last.... great effort though. try to make them more consistent... youll do better next time. osis is tougher for some than others, this includes myself.

okay, now my comments on the ra nkings from others. i basically understand everyone's comments.... except ben's. i dont see how in the world you could rank yogan last and say

"Eoghan's osis perfectly embodies a highly functional osis. I wouldn't exactly call it choppy either. I think your crank makes it look better. I'll bet you could learn stepping out of osis and zooming sets alot more easily out of that osis than out of a pullier one......aesthetics. Your osis were very consistent though, and your body motions seemed to flow"

and rank yourself first and say

"... needs some more refinements, but I actually like the idea of pulling the osis a little more than average. (watching it again, I think maybe I'm catching the bag too close to my support leg and cushioning it too much with my knees... I'll work on that...I've heard a lot of people say that my osis is crap and that I need to change it..."

but whateer, lke you said, take it with a grain of salt.... maybe im not doing this :oops:

also.... these rankings are weird.... i including both of zac's rankings, and both of zeroman13's rankings... the one where he just said "taylor ftw!" and the other one where he ranked everyone. so yeah, people got multiple votes. but i figured it would be fairer to taylor wh oentered late to do so..

so great job everyone! osis is cool, i wish i could have entered. would we all agree on the votings so far being the official rankings? i think it is pretty accurate. footbag!!
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 03 May 2008 11:22

The voting ends on May 8th, Cale. ;)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 03 May 2008 13:37

oh okay haha. then there are the standings as is... sorry, im medicated right now, i didnt see that before. thanks zac. :D
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 03 May 2008 14:02

Oh, and I just did the rankings only using the ones that had Taylor's. For the fun of it.

1. Taylor and Zac (11 points)
3. Eoghan (14 points)
4. Ben and Andrew (15 points)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 03 May 2008 16:14

Re-ranked

1. Eoghan
2. Taylor
3. Zac
4. Andrew
5. Ben
Matt Kemmer

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 04 May 2008 07:21

calemccoy wrote: i basically understand everyone's comments.... except ben's.
This comp was designed to rank who can make a mundane trick look the coolest. Eoghan's osis looks very functional, but that's not the purpose of this comp... it's to make the trick look the best. I've said it lots of times that IMO, pulled, flowwy osis look the best. Eoghan's osis are the furthest from this, and therefore I rank him last.

Thanks for doing the rankings, guys. Unless we get a bunch more votes between now and the 8th, Zac's will be the official placements. I dunno how you're doing them cale... What I had thought was that we would add everyone's ranks up (say, if Eoghan got 1st 3 times and 4th once, he would have 7 points) and whoever had the least points wins. That's why we can't use Matt's ranking, cuz he didn't rank Taylor.

Hope everyone participates again next round!
Ben Roscoe

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 04 May 2008 10:02

well, i guess thats where we differ... i think pully osis looks bad, because its bad form. a functional, non pulled osis looks better to me because its better form. technically, a pulled osis with no spin "the"s the spin, so saying it looks better is like saying a the mirage looks better than a clean one. but to each his own, i guess. and yeah, that scoring system could work too.... like par in golf :D
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 04 May 2008 10:06

calemccoy wrote:, a pulled osis with no spin "the"s the spin, so saying it looks better is like saying a the mirage looks better than a clean one. but to each his own, i guess.
Nah, it's more like liking Takumi's spins better than umm... Jon Schneider's?

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 04 May 2008 14:17

also, Form is a subjective thing. Emancipate yourself from any notions of "good form" that others have imposed upon you. If you still think that pulled osis looks bad, that's fine; just make sure that it's your oppinion. Technically, it's bad form to set above chest hight for torque, but Vasek looks KILLER in his earlier years when he used to set really high and then pivot on his catching foot for torques. He has a really unique way of doing torques, and one could argue that it's bad form to set so high... but it looks awsome.

Good form is prolly the single most important thing, IMO. I just don't think that there are set rules on what "Good Form" should be.
Ben Roscoe

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 04 May 2008 16:28

imo pulled osis looks ugly. I think the flow is everything, and that pulling the osis decreases the flow. Whether or not it is good form is another question.

That said I always lacked the crank to do pulled osis, so I might be a bit biased.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 09 May 2008 12:27

Oh, here are the official rankings. Not sure if anyone really cares or not?:

1. Taylor
2. Zac
3. Eoghan
4. Andrew
5. Ben

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 10 May 2008 10:46

hah

thanks, Zac
Ben Roscoe

JeffRichards
Fearless

Post by JeffRichards » 10 May 2008 17:50

I liked Eoghan's best