Video Comp for FREE Pipenbag!! CONTEST ENDS TMRW

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 12 Dec 2011 09:19

As promised, here's my real entry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_SQacKQ1S8[/youtube]

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 13 Dec 2011 00:37

i feel like thats one too many adds.

if it starts from the dragon stall, the first move gets two adds: [DEX] [DEL], the second gets three: [BOD] for spin [DEL] and [UNS] for calf stall, and the third gets three: [DEX], [DEX], and [DEL].

i may be wrong, as im not positive about the first dex being there or intentional at all.

on a side note, i have a very unique entry planned that i think everyone will enjoy, if i can only get it filmed. fingers crossed.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Dec 2011 07:29

The last trick is just a mirage set from squeeze; there's no dex there. I've already cleared it with Nathan. If that "set" actually did get an add, I'd be more inclined to include it in my normal shred. Same goes for mechanosis and the pseudo dlo you can set from there. Neither gets a dex add.

Empty
Shredaholic

Post by Empty » 13 Dec 2011 07:43

Also calf or another unusal doesn't get a [del] add, only [uns].

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 14 Dec 2011 23:57

Pawel, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. Calf delay would definitely get a [del] & [uns]. If unsuals didn't get a [del] then Flapper delay would be a 2 ADD and I would be a sad panda. Unless I misunderstood your post.

Ken, Nice link man. I was really confused with the ADD count on it at first, but now I get it. I must say I thought you were going to hit Toe Spinning Whirl at first rather than the squeeze :P (PS. If you wanted to do that last trick in your normal runs , but don't like it because it would be guilting, then try it symp :wink: )
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 15 Dec 2011 18:44

Just want to remind everyone that all entries are due by tomorrow at midnight. So everyone that said they would enter something.. do it! Even if you don't think it's gonna win, I want to see it. Who knows, I might find another bag lying around for a consolation prize..

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 15 Dec 2011 20:00

Even if you don't think it's gonna win, I want to see it.
Oh ho ho, I'll make you regret that decision...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAnrUcSO ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Doug Tank

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Dec 2011 20:51

Pixies!!!!! I know that guitar anywhere! Good choice Doug! lol

Also, I loved that link! I had a feeling blink was going to be in there :P Really dope though. Props..

Oh and, Oi! Oi! Skinhead!
Nick Polini

Funblog

Air
Aleksi Airinen

Post by Air » 15 Dec 2011 23:55

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Dec 2011 07:28

I really like the two latest additions. I kinda liked Doug's backup one in his blog better than the one he submitted, but still dope.

Hope to see some more last minute entries!

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 16 Dec 2011 10:45

[quote="C-Fan"]I really like the two latest additions. I kinda liked Doug's backup one in his blog better than the one he submitted, but still dope.
/quote]

agreed.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Dec 2011 14:07

If that "set" actually did get an add, I'd be more inclined to include it in my normal shred.
If unsuals didn't get a [del] then Flapper delay would be a 2 ADD and I would be a sad panda.
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Fuck adds!!!!

They don't actually measure difficulty that well, or acknowledge so much of what can be done with a footbag, and they just gum up the thought processes of even the most creative players.

To be clear, Ken and Nick, I'm not mad at you. I'm mad that there's this restrictive thought institution that is pretty intrinsically linked to the culture of the game that I love so much, which only serves as an inaccurate measuring device that does more harm than good. The harm it does is that it exists as a thought process, a thought barrier between the player's self expression and the movements that he or she actually makes.

Thinking "how many points does this get? I'd better only do the ones that get X points or else I'll have done something lame" is a blockage between the player and zen footbag existence, and it restricts people's footbag vocabulary for *no good reason*.

/rant
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Dec 2011 14:10

Wait...adds don't reflect difficulty?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 17 Dec 2011 13:32

Just wanted to clarify one issue ---

Empty, F[uns]tylin' Eclectic,

There is a common confusion about some unusual surface moves --- some unusual surface stalling moves DO NOT get an ADD for delay. BUT, it is only the stalls that are done ABOVE THE WAIST that don't get an ADD for delay. So, a Flapper Stall does get a Delay ADD (along with cross-body and unusual), but a Head Stall and a Back Stall ONLY get an ADD for unusual, and do not get the add for delay.

Basically, a stall/delay is only counted as an ADD in a move if it is done with the feet or legs. Or, another way of putting it is, a stall is only a 1-ADD element if the stall is done with a surface where you might otherwise do a kick. One can do a sole kick or a calf kick. On the other hand, there isn't really such thing as a back-kick or head-kick with a soft footbag, so a stall on those surfaces is really the most basic element, not a 1-ADD level up from a more basic kind of contact, as opposed to the way a sole stall is a 1-ADD level up from the more basic element of a sole kick.

(I always mean to write some very brief remark and wind of rambling-on with a long-winded explanation instead... I admit a I have a problem.)

Also, C-Fan speaks the truth about the set from a Squeeze. It LOOKS like a Dex, but, as Ken puts it, its sort of pseudo-dex, and does not commonly get counted as an actual dex. So what looks like a Smear out of the squeeze is technically only a mirage...

Anyway, its a cool exercise that resulted in some pretty cool combos. Thanks to you all. I'm sorry I didn't participate -- I haven't really played any footbag for months and don't have the equipment to film myself nor would I know how to upload a video if I did. And some of my favorite moves might or might not be appropriate for this contest -- I'm not even sure how many ADDs some of those tricks are...

Anyway, cool stuff all around, but I think I like Air's the best. Only, it would have been a little better if he had started from a basic kick to the Sole Kick rather than a hand-toss...
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 17 Dec 2011 14:57

Sorry for kinda highjacking this post, Nate... But yeah, I agree with Matt here, "Fuck ADDs", indeed. I'll do a Dustpan or a Knee bump or a cloud kick midrun if it looks/feels cool to me.

ADDs sort of describe difficulty in a lot of cases, For instance... Dyno vs. Blender? Come on...
Nick Polini

Funblog

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 17 Dec 2011 21:05

Well, well... a hard decision to make here... but I would like to congratulate Mr. Airinen on his winning entry! :)

I don't know if anyone expects it, but I'll go into my thought process a bit so people know how I picked Air's.

Basically, I was trying to judge on combined difficulty, creativity and execution. I narrowed it down to Chris, Ken and Air as the three most difficult, since I quickly figured out that those were the three I couldn't hit (I tried to hit them all)

After that, I narrowed it down to Ken and Air because I figured Chris' head stall was the weakest link, even though the other two tricks were super cool.

Between Air and Ken I have no idea which is harder, so I went with my gut feeling -- and chose Air's because I kept watching it over and over. I liked the quick, attacky style of the kicks and styley eggbeater over the pauses that dragon and squeeze require.

Just kidding, I actually just showed all the videos to my 3 year old niece and went with the one she clapped her hands at the most.

But both entries were awesome! They all were, and it was really hard to pick out one. Thanks to everyone who competed! 8)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 17 Dec 2011 23:02

Nathan wrote: Just kidding, I actually just showed all the videos to my 3 year old niece and went with the one she clapped her hands at the most.
I cracked up when I read that!

Congrats, Aleksi, you're going to love that bag. My pipe bag just broke in and that's all I've been kicking with for the past week or so... And it's been my bag of choice to keep in my pocket just walking around.

Great competition, Nate. I enjoyed how this pushed people to be as creative as possible. Hope you hold another with another interesting objective in the future :)
Nick Polini

Funblog

Air
Aleksi Airinen

Post by Air » 18 Dec 2011 02:43

Wow, thanks a lot Nathan! I'm suprised I won, I couldn't hit any of the other entries :)

I'm gonna shred that bag to pieces.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Dec 2011 14:27

I must admit, I was a little surprised by the outcome. I can't hit Doug's entry. I think I could get Chris' entry if I got a little lucky. Polini's entry I rehit on the previous page.

After I saw Aleksi's combo won, I went outside and tried it. Hit it for my first time on my 5th try. Hit it for my second time on my 8th try. Third time on my 10th.

But then, I guess this contest wasn't about difficulty, and beauty is in the eye of the bagholder.

I look forward to an epic video with this bag.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Dec 2011 16:55

Not to be picky, Ken, but you didn't hit mine quite correctly... Your "Dustpan" wasn't quite a Dustpan.. It was more of a Zipper same toe thing... (I challenge you to hit the link again with a REAL Dustpan.. Whenever you get around to it.)
Nick Polini

Funblog