Forum "likes"

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
Allan

Re: Forum "likes"

Post by Allan » 11 Mar 2014 18:46

Asmus wrote:I think the icon should be a high five and should be called props instead of likes.
They could be called 'props' if you like ;) I think I used the word 'upvote' in there somewhere too. Props is definitely the most apropos. As I write things, that's the term I'll use.

I'm not sure that I agree that the icon should be a high five, unless you can show me an icon (of that size) that actually looks like a high five, and not just a hand. The thing with the thumbs up it's that it's universally understood that that's what that means, in any language.
Jeremy wrote: 1. A stat in the little profile below post count saying "Props" or "Likes" or whatever they're called, with a total tally.
Cool.

Jeremy wrote: 2. Not being able to like/prop your own posts.
Meh. Too much trouble :) I kind of like it anyhow :)
Jeremy wrote: 3. A page where you can see a history of who liked your posts, and perhaps something next to the bit that says how many new messages you have that says how many new likes you've had (preferably without any kind of email or pop up notification).
Yeah, I'll definitely be doing something of this nature.

I was also thinking of having a "Most Liked" page, showing the top, like, 10-20 most propped posts.

I have no timeline for any of this :) Note that it's been 2 years since Erik asked about this first. LOL. That being said, I'm on a bit of a tear recently, and will hopefully keep it up.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 11 Mar 2014 23:59

This is easily readable and could super easily be tweaked to fit with the theme.

Allan

Post by Allan » 12 Mar 2014 17:34

@Asmus I saw that one when I google image searched "high five icon" but I didn't think it would translate well smaller. Perhaps I was wrong :) I like it. I do think using a more universal icon would have advantages, but fuck it, let's try it :)

What's a good term for "most propped?"

Allan

Post by Allan » 12 Mar 2014 21:15

Better?

BTW if anyone is looking for a top-notch image editor on OS X, I can highly recommend Pixelmator in the AppStore for $30. Closest thing to Photoshop I've come across yet. It Just Works.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Mar 2014 21:51

I about shat my shorts when I saw the new "props" on here! So funny/awesome! Great suggestion, Asmus!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 19 Mar 2014 10:31

I love the props. I thought about this all the time. Like, if I really liked a post, I didn't want to noob out and waste space posting "lol nice post Asmus" but I wasnted to recognize it in some way. That is awesome, and the icon is great. You think it'll be possible/ is it already possible to be able to tell who gave the props?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Allan

Post by Allan » 19 Mar 2014 11:21

Vraidave wrote: You think it'll be possible/ is it already possible to be able to tell who gave the props?
Yes, it'll definitely be possible :) I'm just struggling a bit with the user interface for it. I'm coding all if this from scratch, so it's taking a lot more time than if I were just installing a pre-made "mod." I have no timeline, so it'll all happen when I have spare time ...

Allan

Re: Forum "props"

Post by Allan » 22 Mar 2014 20:13

If you click on the text part 'N props' it now shows you who gave the props. I'm definitely still working on this interface, but it gives you the basic info now. Profile photos and other refinements will come soon-ish. Hover & click states also soon-ish.

Per-post mini-profiles now contain how many 'Props' the user has under the 'Posts' stat. This number is off by just a little at the moment because of a silly error that I need to fix. A few users will get a +1-3 bump at some point when I can write the script that fixes the table.

I got some work done on a "most propped" page tonight.

I'm going to go focus on badges integration for a while ...

EDIT: sidenote: I've been going around liking a ton of stuff testing as I go. I'll be deleting all of my props from the database soon, so numbers will fluctuate when I do this as well.

Allan

Post by Allan » 23 Mar 2014 11:17

To give credit where it's due: http://dribbble.com/shots/1184709-High-Five-Icon-WIP I'll investigate possibly paying for or crediting the work.

Allan

Post by Allan » 24 Mar 2014 13:53

I didn't figure people would actually abuse it, but Ken proved me wrong :) I'll be removing the ability to give yourself props and deleting all the self-props that have been given. LOL

Allan

Post by Allan » 25 Mar 2014 18:24

You can't give yourself props any more. But I still need to write a little script to correct the database, so Ken'll have 100+ props for a minute yet.
Allan wrote:
Jeremy wrote: 2. Not being able to like/prop your own posts.
Meh. Too much trouble :) I kind of like it anyhow :)
LOL

UPDATE: self-props have been removed.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Mar 2014 17:15

Great work Allan, thanks :)

A few other thoughts;

1. It would be nice if the prop logo changed somehow to indicate you'd propped a post.

2. I don't care about leaderboards, but some sort of list of who has propped you on what posts would be nice.

Allan

Post by Allan » 28 Mar 2014 17:48

Jeremy wrote:
1. It would be nice if the prop logo changed somehow to indicate you'd propped a post.
Yup. I've been experimenting with a couple of ways to indicate this. I'll likely have time this weekend to publish some tweaks I'm making.
Jeremy wrote: 2. I don't care about leaderboards, but some sort of list of who has propped you on what posts would be nice.
I'll work at making the UI clearer, but you can click on the text part beside the high-five icon ("N props"), and it will popup a modal listing who gave that post props.

I'm currently building a page that lists the posts that are the most-propped (again, anyone got a hip-er way of saying that?), and I'll likely build your prop count into the member list page, assuming you'd be able to sort on that column as well.

As to your earlier request for being able to un-prop: for some unknown reason the concept is giving me a headache. I'll loop back around to it at some point.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 Mar 2014 18:32

More hip way of saying most-propped = Da proppedest
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Mar 2014 05:21

Sorry I wasn't very clear then. I mean it would be good if there were a page where I could see which posts of mine have been propped. Ie. I have three props right now, but no idea which posts those on.

Allan

Post by Allan » 29 Mar 2014 10:04

Jeremy wrote:Sorry I wasn't very clear then. I mean it would be good if there were a page where I could see which posts of mine have been propped. Ie. I have three props right now, but no idea which posts those on.
Ah yes. Ummm. Yeah, I'd work that into the profile page. That's actually probably more of a priority thing that the Da Proppedest page ...

Thanks for the help Jeremy!