Footbag Wikipedia Page

Working on a footbag-related project? Ask for help, get feedback/advice here.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Footbag Wikipedia Page

Post by Jeremy » 13 Apr 2014 15:39

Hey guys, there's a topic in General Footbag about this, but I thought I'd post something here. I think it would be great if the footbag page on wikipedia were seriously updated. At the moment it's a low quality and poorly written page. This is one of the first places many people who hear or see footbag probably go, so we should be aiming to make it a high quality page that encourages them to play. The reach of that page alone is surely bigger than any other footbag web presence. I'm happy to do some of the work, but I have a lot of other priorities and I'm not going to do it by myself. I thought I'd use the momentum of this sub-forum to try to see if anybody is willing to commit to working on it.

jay7
Flower Child

Re: Footbag Wikipedia Page

Post by jay7 » 13 Apr 2014 22:03

I am very much so not a wiki expert, and I am not entirely sure what makes a fantastic versus good wiki page. Even with my eyes I can tell that the section on Shoes is very, very short, and doesn't deliver any real information.. However I imagine that your request goes a bit deeper than that. Formatting, references, or what-have-you.

Do you have a model page, (Ideally about some other freestyle sport) which we could mimic, which you think is the bee's knees?
Jay Boychuk

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Apr 2014 23:02

If you go to the front page of wikipedia, and click on the featured article, that's an example of a high quality article (whatever it is, because an article has to be high quality to be nominated as a featured article).

There are many problems with the footbag pages but the key ones are half written sections, unreferenced claims, and a huge amount of terminology and phrasing written in footbag jargon without context. The aim of the article has to be to be entirely understandable to a non footbagger.

The opening paragraph needs to be completely re-written, and the sections of "Footbag games" and everything below that need to be deleted or moved to different pages. There needs to be a detailed "History" section, and then sections about each type of footbag. Perhaps a page relating to sports and activities that are not footbag, but are similar (but ideally they would be merely listed under "see also").

Here's the criteria for the highest quality wikipedia articles;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... e_criteria

There's a list of examples here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FA

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Apr 2014 12:36

I wrote some stuff on the things you mentioned, an intro (that hopefully makes sense to non-footbaggers), shoes, bags, and a bit on history and other foot sports, all cited. Someone can feel free to copy and paste that if they want, or even just cite my site: http://footbagfoundations.erikchan.ca/whatsfootbag/