not a new set, but cool concept: pendulousish nuclear

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

not a new set, but cool concept: pendulousish nuclear

Post by brianbear » 18 Jan 2009 15:13

Hey, it's bear again, this time with a legitimate set i'm pretty sure hasn't been done yet...
I hit pendulous matador muted super clean at steve's house yesterday and thought people would like to see it!!!
but my legs are super sore and i couldn't warm up properly, so you will have to wait til my next vid to see cool shit out of it: butterfly, dyno, and sole/ solesis zooming. i really only have time for tiltless/ guiltless to music, and working on sick ones/ threes, soo this set is pretty big for me :)
hope some people try it to see how crazy difficult x-bod toe to nuclear is,
mainly a hip motion!!!! don't use your knee or it will hurt, trust me.

shred on and i'll have my first pro vid done in a bit: runs and combos and single tricks, because the rest of vids have designated one of those components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2cCU4uhbF0
Last edited by brianbear on 18 Jan 2009 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

g00d33
Egyptian Footgod

Post by g00d33 » 18 Jan 2009 15:18

I must say, that is pretty rockin. Good job :!:
John Goode

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jan 2009 15:47

Very hard set, and very cool. When I read about it though, I thought it was actually a crossbody pendulum to nuclear, whereas it appears to be more of a half pendulum to get into xbdy toe position, and then a nuke set from xbody toe. So really, this is a xbody toe set nuclear, which is set up by a half pendulum (like, the opposite of a rake). Xbody toe set nuclear is a set that was hit at Worlds 2007. I believe Mosher invented it, and on Worship the Sack Henry Griese hits a matador out of it?

So yeah, very cool combo there, but I wouldn't say that's a new set. Still, very stylish and hard way to play into it. Good work.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 18 Jan 2009 15:53

once again, my lack of history with the sport has gotten the best of me...
Thanks for the info about the set and the performance of it, i guess i'll have to duck or dive it to invent something :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 18 Jan 2009 16:03

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-YXgfXUJU[/youtube]

It sounds like we get to xbd differently, but from then on it sounds like you're doing my toe nuke set that I made up at the Florida Worlds. I could hit it for that week and haven't touched it since, you can have it! :P :lol:

Oh, but I DID hit it in competition! That clip is the very last trick I hit in the circle comp that year.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 18 Jan 2009 17:14

who hit it first?
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 18 Jan 2009 17:17

hehe, well that set-up is quite a bit different, as i'm pretty sure i can hit it out of fairy x-bod toe butterfly as well, but awesome!!! i wish i would have seen this earlier :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

Adrian
Hack Fiend

Post by Adrian » 18 Jan 2009 18:09

Firstly, great innovation!

I'd call the first component a toe wrap rather than a pendulum, as the bag is wrapped around your body horizontally before being released, rather than vertically around your body. So a toe wrap into a crossbody toe set nuclear. Two tricks, one nice combo :)

WRAP: TOE > [DEL] > [XBD]

TOE NUCLEAR: TOE > SAME OUT [PDX] [DEX]

First time I have written any jobs notation in years - go easy on me if its wrong :)

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jan 2009 18:15

Yeah, now that I think about it, that first component looks a lot like something Jon S does, which he calls a dustpan. Jon?

Paul Agostinelli
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Paul Agostinelli » 18 Jan 2009 18:21

didnt chris balch invent this set 2 or 3 years ago?
Precisely Mos Eisley

zach4th
Fearless

Post by zach4th » 19 Jan 2009 04:49

How soon you all forget, I invented it in 2005.
Zach Forth

footbagi
BSOS Beast

Post by footbagi » 19 Jan 2009 07:49

I remember a conversation that I had with Yanek at Wakahacky. He stated that pendulous can't be a set because the bag is still on your foot while moving from front to back, and technically a trick starts once it's removed (launched) from your foot. So it starts as a cross body toe or where ever it's launched from.

Oh and uhh, I hit hit this like 10 years ago.
First think about how to practice or don't bother practicing.

John Bagi

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Jan 2009 10:36

could we have some serious answers on who hit this first? (paul, that's not directed at you)

i saw henry g hit toe matador firsthand at worlds 06 before tom did. that's the only reason I bring it up.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Paul Agostinelli
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Paul Agostinelli » 19 Jan 2009 14:43

i wasnt trying to start some kind of joke (this is directed at those who didnt take my comment seriously)

i really do think that chris balch was the one who invented this, i thought he was doing them at spike and shred 2
Precisely Mos Eisley

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 19 Jan 2009 17:10

It might have been Chris Balch, but it also could have been Even Lovely. I think Chris was the first to hit opp mirage off of this set and i think Even was the first to hit butterfly off of it. It was named nucleus (like pendulous and Nuc.). I'm not sure that i have the whole story straight but that's what I remember to the best of my knowledge.
Drew Martin

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 31 Jan 2009 17:40

Upon trying it tonight, I discovered this is a pretty fun set. Thanks for bringing it to modified's attention Mr.Bear! I definitely can't do it "pendulous" rather, what Tom did in the above video. Yours certainly looks more interesting.

Toe nuclear legover->frankenstein, and toe-nuclear-bag rolls across neck like-a-duck-clipper were the only things I hit out of it though. Ducking it cleanly is definetly possible though.

You are also right, use your body and not your knee for this set. I found it easier to get a good set, when I have my set foot cross body, but having my toe point towards the heel of my support foot, so that they are not parallel but perpendicular, rather.
Jay Boychuk

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 02 Feb 2009 10:45

yay jay! i'm glad you tried it out :)
i like the nuc to legover. the coolest thing i've done with it is a dyno after, kind've like a wierd motion. i'll have to try ducking it some more!!! props.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 02 Feb 2009 14:44

Paul Agostinelli wrote:didnt chris balch invent this set 2 or 3 years ago?
My thoughts exactly.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Xain
Fearless

Post by Xain » 08 Feb 2009 16:21

When I posted about it a few years ago, no one said anything, so I assumed that I "invented it." I never really got great(read: consistent) at it, but I hit the equivalences of atom smasher and sumo.

edit: my post is on page 314 of "new moves"