Online footbag routine comp Spring 2020

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
acxel22
Post Master General

Online footbag routine comp Spring 2020

Post by acxel22 » 12 Jun 2020 04:44

https://youtu.be/0AcQRJUNoxY

https://youtu.be/KbSdKJM2NRw

use the second link if first does not work, it has one routine removed due to copyrights (Daniel Boyle, sorry Daniel )
Last edited by acxel22 on 13 Jun 2020 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Online footbag routine comp Spring 2020

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Jun 2020 16:49

This is great, thanks for doing this! I had a smile on my face for pretty much the entire thing. It is great to see new faces, and more variety.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Fuck copyright bots

Post by C-Fan » 12 Jun 2020 19:26

Fucking blocked in the USA for copyright reasons. Blergh. I hope we don't run into these problems with Worlds routines too.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Jun 2020 21:40

Mathieu posted another edited version - https://youtu.be/KbSdKJM2NRw - this one should not have any copyright issues.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Jun 2020 22:23

That was really cool, you can see a lot of effort went into the video. Glad I could be a part. Great to see plenty of entries in there.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Merci Mathieu!

Post by C-Fan » 13 Jun 2020 17:53

Thanks for making the second edit! I really appreciate it, since it's the difference between seeing 95% of the competition and...zero percent. Thank you again.

Haven't watched them all, but greatly enjoyed the ones I did. That Yoshhi choreo was so dope!

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 24 Jun 2020 14:03

Did anyone notice that Bruce Li copied Clavens´ 2010 routine? He did adapt it to his trick selection, but it was a very obvious copy of the choreography. I think this is a first, never heard about this happening before. How do you feel about this? I think it should be penalised, as coming up with a choreography is an essential part of developing a routine. So just taking over someone else´s work looks like cheating to me.
Matthias Lino Schmidt

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

This is just a tribute?

Post by C-Fan » 24 Jun 2020 20:05

LinoSphere wrote:
24 Jun 2020 14:03
it was a very obvious copy of the choreography. I think this is a first, never heard about this happening before.
I think it's happened a couple times, usually in early rounds of tournaments. It does become a weird blurry line between tribute and copy. I can understand why somebody would do it as a tribute in an early round, where they don't want to give away their final "real" routine and are too lazy to build 2 separate routines. But I can also understand a judge penalizing them for not developing their own solid choreo.

Here's a Penske routine from 2017 Worlds first round, which I believe was intended as a Mulroney tribute:

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 25 Jun 2020 11:00

I personally would not mind, I rather create my own content, I just think it's more of a tribute, especialy in a early round like Ken said, or in this case, an online comp that is just about fun, and making it an happening.

I have several routines in mind that deserve such tributes because they were just so good, Honza did it with Dan Ednie's 2007 routine to the schumacher song, it was amazing
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 25 Jun 2020 13:08

I can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, Bruce's choreography wasn't completely his own. On the other hand, judges don't assign a score to whether or not a player *created* the choreography, but rather how well they executed, is that right? I mean, we don't know how long Bruce spent studying Clavens' routine, practicing it, etc., let alone the hours he put into his game in order to execute a routine similar enough to be recognized as Clavens'.

Hip-hop largely samples from other genres/songs, and adapts accordingly. Maybe if footbaggers did more of this in routines it would, as others have commented here, be seen more as a tribute - a way to recognize those who kicked before us - than as biting.

I suppose the discussion also becomes similar to the Ship of Theseus; when does someone's routine stop becoming their own routine? At the one end of the spectrum, everyone hits something like clipper in their routines, but no one gets penalised for 'taking' it from someone else's routine. At the other end of the spectrum, you would have something like Bruce's routine, except even more so; song and choreo are *exactly* the same. Everything in between these two poles becomes somewhat subjective I would say in terms of whether the routine was their own. If someone were to get penalised, what would be the criteria? Same song? That doesn't seems feasible. Same song + 1 or 2 of the same combos? Not sure, but seems like implementation would get tricky.

I wonder what Clavens thinks about this?
TJ Boutorwick

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 27 Jun 2020 08:54

I agree that tributes should be possible, and they can be something cool. But I'd say the same rules should apply that usually apply for remix vs. plagiarism: You need to add enough of your own creative work to create something new and unique. Don't think that was the case with Bruce, haven't compared Penske/Mulroney. Go ahead, copy the intro of an routine, but then do something else. Or take the same choreo structure, but use different tricks entirely. I do think there would be an appropiate way to phrase this for the rule book. But it would always depend on whether the judges have seen and remember the original routine.

Edit: typo
Matthias Lino Schmidt

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Jun 2020 14:38

LinoSphere wrote:
27 Jun 2020 08:54
You need to add enough of your own creative work to create something new and unique...
...I do think there would be an appropiate way to phrase this for the rule book. But it would always depend on whether the judges have seen and remember the original routine.
I still am unsure how 'enough of your own creative work' would be quantified...maybe more than half of the routine? Less than x tricks/combos hit verbatim from another routine? But this then relates to your last bit about how it would always depend on the judges memory. To account for this, the routines would have to be compared with previous ones, and that would take time. On the other hand, it may be more feasible if only routines hit at certain tournaments were those which couldn't be plagiarized, e.g., Worlds.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jun 2020 16:39

That's an interesting one. I noticed that it was very similar to the Clavens routine. I was actually considering looking at some of the old routines and looking to do a tribute for that comp, but I didn't find one I thought I could execute really well.

Bruce doesn't have that swagger of Clavens though.

It's probably a good thing to do in an online competition like this, but not really at Worlds. Maybe at smaller comps too, as a fun thing. Interesting discussion. I think TJ's point about it being more about the execution then the creation of the content. I believe some of the artistic concept is around originality though, and you're not going to have good originality if your moves have all been linked together by someone else in that past.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 27 Jun 2020 17:21

I want feedback ln this comp from. On facebookers,
would you enter a routine comp online again?
What do you think would be s good frequency to do such a comp?
If it’s once a year I think may is good practice before worlds

Another question is, would you like other formats of comps with a similar video/hapenning and if so wich type?
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Reeeeeemix

Post by C-Fan » 27 Jun 2020 19:29

LinoSphere wrote:
27 Jun 2020 08:54
it would always depend on whether the judges have seen and remember the original routine.
This stood out to me as a key point. With popular music it's usually pretty obvious what they are sampling, either because the sample is so well-known or because they credit it in the title. But with a super esoteric sport like footbag, even lifers like me can't be sure we've seen every routine. I think for people to get that you're doing a tribute it'd have to be a really famous routine, probably one that won Worlds recently.