FOOTBAG NET, Looking For Drills To Improve.

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
VIKINGWARRIOR
Circle Kicker

FOOTBAG NET, Looking For Drills To Improve.

Post by VIKINGWARRIOR » 20 Feb 2009 11:58

Hello there,

I was just looking for any and all advice for FOOTBAG NET Drills. Net seems to be more my thing and I would like to improve my skill level. I love the sport and how competitive it can be. I've heard of a few diff. drills but I would like to do some reading and maybe watch a few videos.

Does anyone know of any that you could throw my way?

Thanks.
C O R Y C A R R
- FootbagErie -

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 30 Mar 2009 12:06

go on a footbag net forum .. thats the most important thing to know to improve your net skills :D
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 02 Apr 2009 23:37

Jere Mirkennnnennnn's Tip Checklist

(X) 1) Kicking power with another person (1 touch back and forth) with about 7-10 feet of distance between you is the BEST way to improve your net game if you have a partner available.

(X) 2) If no partner is available, as boring as you may find it, kick against a wall. You can practice all of your kicks aganst a surface that will ALWAYS return the bag back to you at an angle you should expect. this is the quickest way to get kicks, likely 500 kicks in 5-7 minutes, as opposed to 200 in 5 minutes of power with a partner.

(_) If at all possible, Power kick with Reile 10 minutes each day. Have him toss you bags to your weak kicks and just practice kicking it right back to him. Vice versa.

(_) Have him toss you spikes or toss your own (spikes, not salad) outside.

(_) Dynamic stretching (actually attempting to high kick or increase flex by using kicking motions) is better than passive stretching (sitting down lengthening the muscles)

(X) Call Cory Current and Scot Hansen and see if they will commit to powering/kicking singles with you once weekly, or once every other week, once monthly even.

(_) play squares with a net bag and make the squares a bit bigger

(X) You gotta get outta Chicago for a few days and usurp the resources of others to regain the used-user balance. You're welcome to usurp my living space whenever you feel like flying out!

(X) 1) practice jumping spikes for more net clearance. We short folks are at a dis advantage.

(_) 2) pick your two best kicks and learn to set with them exclusively

(_) 3) take as many serves as possible during warm up before you start playing games during your sessions

(_) 4) When on the court, focus on maximum control over the bag, taking all the power out of others kicks while directing them to your partner, and bump at 8 feet, set at 12.

(X) 5) Learn to hit an effective serve!

(X) -power: 1 touch passing involving 2 people

(X) -power: 2 touch passing involving two people (a set and an over)

(_) -power: 1 touch passing involving three people (V formation with 1 player in the hot spot (i.e., both players always kick back to the hot spot kicker))

(X) -serve practice/ bump practice: 20, then switch.

(X) -spike drills: one player hand tosses, other player practices 1 spike at a time. Alternate form involves practicing 2 spikes at a time, with setter's option to set either spike. Digger (s) on other side is optional.

(_) -spike drill: one hand tosser to 2, 3, or 4 spikers who all practice the same spike in assembly line fashion. Spike, then file to back of line. Requires numerous bags of course, and a shagger.

(X) -dig practice: one player stands at net and throws or paddles bags at a player's feet on opposite side of net, 4-6 feet from the net. Quick throws to increase foot speed and reaction time.

(_) -advanced: power 1 touch passing involving 2 people: one player always lobs, other player always hits low line drive "offense"

(X) Keep in mind that during a practice session you can either play 5 games during which you hit a total of 50 serves or so, or you can drill serves during warm-up for 10 minutes, hitting 80 in that shorter period, and them play your games. The same can be said for all of the basic skills.

(_) you need to do yourself a favor and get about 15 net bags- usually 5 dollars each when purchased in bulk from Manu at footbagnet.com. Increased efficiency for all skills practiced in drill format.

(X) Play with with Scot Cory, and Tommy- that would be a good 4 some.

(_) tell your partners what you want to accomplish in the game, not necessarily winning, but working on a skill such as precise bumping, or improving court positioning for defense, or giving eachother at least 5 spikable sets, etc.

http://www.footbagnet.com/videos.htm

http://www.footbag.org/forum/index.php? ... 15d4498296

http://chaosfootbag.clubdiscussion.net/ ... niques-f3/
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

VIKINGWARRIOR
Circle Kicker

Post by VIKINGWARRIOR » 04 Apr 2009 13:43

Hey,
Thanks for the advice, and links. I was chatting with Jack Lentz and Rob McClosski about net, drills, and things my local crew could do to step up out game. He mentioned how some Canadian kickers had a few different drills they liked to do before matches. One of them being [if I understand correctly from his description], two players would start facing one another, and they would Power back N forth. One would use only outside kicks that reached behind them and the other player would use only inside kicks. The inside kicks were set deep, behind the other player to their outsides and that player would have to step back to reach it. The return would be set short so the other player would have to step forward to reach it with their inside. Each of those steps together drag the two across a field [or where ever they are drilling], and when they get to the end they switch positions and head back in the other direction.

There almost like some sort of football warm up.
C O R Y C A R R
- FootbagErie -