New Footbagger in the Midst

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
onyx
Circle Kicker

New Footbagger in the Midst

Post by onyx » 16 Jun 2009 17:35

Hey modified! :D

Another new footbagger here - just thought I'd introduce myself. I found out about footbag last Friday when I saw one of the many footbag vids on youtube (it was one of Caro Bourgoin freestyling) so I thought I'd give the sport a try.

I already went ahead and ordered some Mr. Sandbags, just waiting on them to come in the mail. The Lavers are gonna have to wait though since I only have about fifteen bucks. 'Til my Mr.s come, I've been kicking around a 4 panel I stitched with an old pair of adidas.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get the basic kicks and stalls down?

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 16 Jun 2009 18:00

first off nice job on getting the right gear

i had a small backround in hackysack so i was able to kick it well over 100 times but when i started freestyle it took under a week to convert to a smaller bag and be able to stall i can do insid stalls toe stalls and clipper stalls very good outside stalls and sole stalls still present a challenge of sorts so yeah i doubt this has been helpful but watch tutorials on youtube david clavens has a good clipper one and some guy blitz shows an example of all
early move so i would say it took me about 5 days to get th basic stalls down but i was able to kick before that remember to use both sides

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 28 Jun 2009 12:47

People vary with abilities. Some people can do a clipper on their first week, some people take a year to get it right. Ankle flexibility, consistency and coordination are all variables that affect the learning process. Gear is an important variable too, and you have to take into account that not using the proper shoes will make the learning process longer.

You can learn how to stall and do basic tricks without the proper shoes, so do try. Practice your kicks for now, and when you get the mr. sandbag try doing some toe and inside stalls. If your shoes are totally terrible for toe stalls, try them barefoot. Watch videos to see what the proper form is
for each stall - it matters.

I personally believe that you'll get better results if you'll aim yourself not towards consecutivity but rather towards control. If you can do a hundred kicks that go all over the place you've achieved nothing. If you can do 10 kicks where the bag goes up and down straight like an arrow you've achieved allot. Even one good kick is great, if you can get that one good kick every time. From there, you can start building your consecutivity. It's not as fun as going crazy with the bag, but do give this approach a shot.

When you learn these kicks and stalls, learn everything on both sides (left & right). It can be frustrating but it's critical to do this early on, even if you still don't see why it's so important.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein