I'm a new member. Hello, everyone!

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.

What's more important?

Balanced Left-Right legs,
100%

Total votes: 17

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

I'm a new member. Hello, everyone!

Post by Toothpasting » 06 Feb 2012 17:26

Hello, everyone. I'm not relatively new to footbag, (although not that experienced,) but I am a new member to this forum. I've been studying the forums and topics here and at www.footbag.org. I have noticed that here, the boards seem to move faster, but I am also going to apply for an account at Footbag.org. Let me just say that both sites are amazing sources of information and indulgence for the Footbag community. Through studying many topics and posts that date back to even 2005, I've learned that the Footbag community is very nice and helpful. I plan on attending a tournament when I can. I'm pretty sure there's one in Tennessee, about two states away from me, soon. I may try attending it with my group of friends that also Footbag, so look out for me there. :)

Here's some background information about me, but mainly about my Footbagging career. I am a highschool student. I started Footbag in September of last year, 2011. So I only have about 5-6 months of experience, but that won't stop me from becoming serious at the sport. I like spreading the knowledge of Footbag to whomever may ask at my school or in public.

I have not purchased the Adidas Rod Lavers, like many of you have, but that doesn't mean I'm using sandals. I'm using an alternative that I'm sure many of you know of, the Nucleus shoes. ( They are absolutely amazing! I'm a firm supporter of them!) As for my bags, I know and own the Mr. Sandbag that is always so quickly and correctly reccomended to all of the new Footbaggers. I also know about the bad reputation of Dragonfly Footbags, but I'll be honest, I have about $200 US worth of Dragonfly Footbags, and they're really not that bad. I am absolutely ready to move on to better ones, though. The best part about the Dragonfly Footbags was the durability. I'm going to have to learn to be more careful with the facile ones I'm soon going to purchase. I plan on buying from FourKast, the Ultra 32 Heavy, as well as the FourKast 14. Anyone who has used these two bags, please tell me if they have any drawbacks, and how they play, and if they're any good in general. I personally wasn't a lover of 32-panels until recently. I can see why they're the basic standard for the sport. I absolutely love metal filled bags, I prefer to play with metal bags more than anything else.

I don't view this as a hobby, I know that it's my sport, and I love it. I hope to get better. My current techniques consist of flawless inside and toe stalls on my right foot, my Clippers are only successful sometimes on my right. My favorite kick is the inside, and my consecutive insides is in the 30's range. My toe kicks are nothing in comparison, so if you have advice for toe kicks, please lend it. I am seeking help on my "Around The World" tricks, I've realized that my problem is that I'm going too fast to complete the trick. I now need help with the ending stall. This will also help with my Mirage. If you have any reccomendations or tips for any tricks, or what trick I should start with next, please reccomend it. I'm going to also add that every trick that I've listed that I can do, I have only tried them while wearing incredibly tight skinny jeans. I'm pretty stubborn, I'm not a person who wears shorts much, but I know that'll have to change. I'll at least wear standard shorts sometimes.

I can see why balance with legs is so reccomended, it really would help me. I'm not that great with my left, but I'm trying to improve. That will be difficult for me though, because I've fractured my Femur bone completely, rendering my left leg pretty useless in comparison to my right.

Thank you, everyone, for being such a great community and coming together for an amazing sport that should be appreciated by all! Also, thanks ahead of time for any help you may give. I hope to shred with many of you soon.

-Aaron
My name is Aaron Follis. I try to be friendly, and I absolutely try my best for perfect grammar.

"We fought your wars with all our hearts,
You've sent us back in body parts.
You took our wills with the truth you stole,
We offer prayers for your long lost soul."
-Serj Tankian

I am a huge fan of Serj Tankian/System Of A Down.

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 06 Feb 2012 19:49

Welcome! Glad to see you're so dedicated already.

I like your username, too

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Feb 2012 21:26

One thing you might want to note about heavier bags is that they will deteriorate even faster than a standard 32-panel facile bag. The heavier a bag, generally, the shorter its lifespan.

Good luck, and welcome!
I think there are a few players in Florida, but I don't know of the proximity to your city (or if they play regularly any more for that matter): Dan Klokow and Ashley Danowski. Also James Ball, who I think helped(?) organize the World Championships in Florida in 2007.

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 06 Feb 2012 22:31

Welcome! I have been on here for almost a year now. Create a footblog and ask questions and post your progress. Really work on both sides and drill the basics more than anything! I can't stress that enough. I am just starting to get basics down and it already helps everything else.

Welcome!
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 07 Feb 2012 03:32

Nathan wrote:Welcome! Glad to see you're so dedicated already.

I like your username, too
Thank you, very much, haha.

Muffinman wrote:One thing you might want to note about heavier bags is that they will deteriorate even faster than a standard 32-panel facile bag. The heavier a bag, generally, the shorter its lifespan.

Good luck, and welcome!
I think there are a few players in Florida, but I don't know of the proximity to your city (or if they play regularly any more for that matter): Dan Klokow and Ashley Danowski. Also James Ball, who I think helped(?) organize the World Championships in Florida in 2007.
If you do know any geography about Florida, I'd assume you know about Orlando. My city is a small one next to Orlando. Thank you for the welcome! I'm going to try getting metal bags that aren't all that heavy, because durability is slightly important to me. Thanks for the information, maybe I'll try to contact them and see if they are still regulars.
worldbound wrote:Welcome! I have been on here for almost a year now. Create a footblog and ask questions and post your progress. Really work on both sides and drill the basics more than anything! I can't stress that enough. I am just starting to get basics down and it already helps everything else.

Welcome!
This advice is great, and while it seems the most important, It's probably the hardest. I'll do my best to work on it, I bet I'm like a lot of people that wish they would've known how important leg equality is. XD Sure, I'll attempt making a footblog. Seems like a good idea. Thank you.

I'm really glad there's such a friendly and helpful community here. Thanks for all your help!
My name is Aaron Follis. I try to be friendly, and I absolutely try my best for perfect grammar.

-Serj Tankian

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 07 Feb 2012 16:09

worldbound wrote:Create a footblog and ask questions and post your progress.
Welcome!
I have just read nearly your entire Footblog, and I have to say, very nicely done!
I hope I progress in a similar manner to the way you have, including speed of progression!

-Serj Tankian

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 Feb 2012 23:25

Welcome aboard! I agree with Mike. You should make a blog so you can post your progress. I love to look back in my blog and see how far I've come. Hope you find a love for this sport like I did :)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 08 Feb 2012 11:11

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Welcome aboard! I agree with Mike. You should make a blog so you can post your progress. I love to look back in my blog and see how far I've come. Hope you find a love for this sport like I did :)
Thank you! I'll make it when I get the chance and time. I appreciate your welcome and advice.

-Serj Tankian

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Feb 2012 08:30

1. Welcome.
2. Definitely make a footblog. It's a great way to track progress, and also for people to get to know you.
3. Go to a tournament! You won't regret it.

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 09 Feb 2012 12:56

C-Fan wrote:1. Welcome.
2. Definitely make a footblog. It's a great way to track progress, and also for people to get to know you.
3. Go to a tournament! You won't regret it.
Hey Ken. Thanks for the post and the welcome! ;D
When I get the time and layout I want, I'll go start a footblog. Thank you.
And also, I'm gonna try to go to this year's USO.

Thanks.

-Aaron

-Serj Tankian

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 02 Mar 2012 23:30

Ive never seen a top shredder advance via footblogs.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Mar 2012 07:50

One other piece of advice, which applies to both footbag and life in general: If somebody gives you advice on something that they cannot do, it's probably best to ignore that advice.

So if you ask for advice on a trick, and somebody responds with "I can't hit that trick, but I would...", just tune them out. Same with routines. If somebody has never done a good routine, or done well at a tournament, don't bother listening to their advice. Footbaggers are generally well-meaning, but the key to getting better is to emulate/listen to players who have achieved and mastered what you want to.

Jon, assuming you weren't just drunk and trolling, here are two good examples of blogs where you can see a player record their path from newbie to BAP, check out both Jay Boychuk's and David Clavens'. Both good reads, and both examples of players who improved by taking the game seriously.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Mar 2012 13:13

C-Fan wrote:So if you ask for advice on a trick, and somebody responds with "I can't hit that trick, but I would...", just tune them out.
Not completely true, Ken. Bob Reifer helped me with giving me advice on some bigger trick that he couldn't do himself, but he understood the game enough to explain what I needed to do to hit it. But yeah, for the most part, Ken's right... unless you play with Bob Reifer.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Thanks.

Post by Toothpasting » 06 Mar 2012 19:19

Thanks for the additional advice, guys!

Ken you're absolutely right, generally speaking, but there's exceptions to nearly everything. For example, I can teach someone how to do wallflips easily, but I can't do them myself because I can't jump high enough and I haven't had time to practice them in a safe place, as well as a fractured femur bone that holds me back in many things.

-Serj Tankian

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 11 Mar 2012 08:14

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:
C-Fan wrote:So if you ask for advice on a trick, and somebody responds with "I can't hit that trick, but I would...", just tune them out.
Not completely true, Ken. Bob Reifer helped me with giving me advice on some bigger trick that he couldn't do himself, but he understood the game enough to explain what I needed to do to hit it. But yeah, for the most part, Ken's right... unless you play with Bob Reifer.
agreed. Someone who hasn't hit the trick/ is an inexperienced player can't tell you the best way to hit the trick or how it should feel but I learned spinning because of Kevin telling me where the bag was in referance to the way i was setting and I don't think he has even hit gyro clipper :).

long story short, it's helpful to have another pair of eyes but just because kevin notices i'm setting the bag during spinning doesn't mean he can walk me through flurricane.
Kevin Hogan

BSC