Seven years have passed...

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Seven years have passed...

Post by Spadrick » 02 May 2012 08:54

Good afternoon Modified!

I have been out of the footbag scene since late 2005. I wont go into details about why I stopped shredding, but rest assured that I wont stop again until my legs fail.

I recently took up the bag again, as a form of exercise that I can truly get behind, and anticipate reaching my goal of losing 25 pounds this summer. Most of my forum interaction will most likely be regarding fitness and basic drills that I can accomplish.

(I just realized that this may be a very long winded post, please endure..)

Back in 2003/2005, Atom and I started a footbag club in Brantford, Ontario. We assembled once or twice a week to shred, and found local shredders to kick with like Johnny Suderman, Jorden Moir, Tom Mosher, Camille Surovy, Jon Haber and Jay Marsh. Together we created SummersEnd Shred @ Canadas Wonderland, and attended events as a team, like Worlds 2004. Thanks to this sport and these great people, I was the happiest and most physically fit that I have ever been.

I desperately wanted to give back to the sport, and the amazing people that I had the opportunity to kick with. So I decided to offer my skills as a graphic designer and web developer to clubs and kickers. I started a few projects and opened some peoples minds to possibilities of self-representation and promotion, and even did some troubleshooting for various clubs websites. I was genuinely at my best during this time.

I fell out of love with footbag, I was young, and life changing opportunities came around, and the sport I had grown to love and daydream about more and more each day fell by the wayside. The people that I cared about, and the people who had much respect for me and my visions carried on without me. I went through a period of sadness and withdrawal, but soon, footbag was a distant memory. The only reminder being a pair of broken down Lavers and a Suderbag that was well worn.

Seven years later, after years of sitting in a computer chair, programming and kicking Photoshops ass, I have found that I am not happy, I am not in shape, and I am not in contact with as many genuinely awesome people as I was before. I stepped out of my own depression and asked myself: "When was I the happiest, and how can I get that back?".

2005. Footbag. Camaraderie. The answer didn't take long to find.

So, here in 2012, I am making a promise to myself, never to detach myself from things that make me the best me that I can be. Never again to throw such an amazing community to the wayside. Never to give up. I am much older, much wiser, and in a few months, much healthier.

I am glad to see Modified in all its glory again, and I am glad that a majority of the people that I appreciate and respect are still active in the sport and online. I am also shocked to see how much the community has grown in my absence. I can't wait to feel the pressing desire to check the forum twice a day, I can't wait to start daydreaming about routines and that next big move. I can't wait to think in Job's, and wake up because I kicked a hole in my wall. I can't wait to become more involved in the community, and use the skills that I possess to make people swoon. I can't wait to order a new Suderbag or Mr. Sandman. I can't wait to make passers-by gawk at how mind-blowing footbag is. I can't wait to teach people about the sport again. I can't wait to travel to another big tournament.

I have found that muscle memory for me is pretty reliable. I picked up a crocheted bag and crappy shoes, and after seven years I am still efficient at basics. After getting my pair of Lavers, Fairy Ducking Symp Mirage in three tries! It is a really good feeling to still be decent at something you haven't done in eons.

So now, I am schooling simple basics and working on my posture. I am working to overcome my one-sidedness, and generally living a healthier lifestyle. I still do graphics and web development, but I don't sit in a chair for 12 hours a day doing it.

Also, I now live in Toronto, which equals more opportunity than I had in Brantford (Johnny can attest to that, I am sure). Hopefully this is the first re-step in the right direction.

Thanks for listening to my story. If anyone remembers me, please don't hesitate to say hi! I am the same lovable designer, now with more maturity and carbohydrates. If you remember my username, but don't remember what I did in the past, look here!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 43ed7e37b5

There is more, I just can't find most of my older stuff.

I better stop now, typing is interfering with shredding.
:D

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 02 May 2012 12:22

Hey Adam.
It's great to see you're back into it!
You should make a footblog -- it'll help with your progress to write down goals and to achieve them and for people to know where to go to give you feedback and advice. I think at the moment I'm the only active freestyler in Toronto (Adam Greenwood just left for the summer), but I am leaving in just over a week. Maybe we can fit in a session before I go!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 02 May 2012 18:20

That was a great read. I've been playing for less than a year and still have lots of history to research. I hope you stay with it -- as Erik said, you should totally make a footblog to record your progress and give yourself an incentive to continue.

As you become more active you should start looking into tournaments/jams that pique your interest (depending on your finances of course). The U.S. Open will be held in Portland in late August this year, and it's going to be a lot of fun.

Are you open to doing web design for footbag-related purposes again?

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 03 May 2012 01:23

That was a cool post. Yay to following happiness.

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 03 May 2012 03:30

Thanks guys! And yes, I will be re-vamping my old footblog to detail the journey to my health-conscious goal and to post about drills etc.

Also, I am interested in helping people with graphics and web stuff, but that will not be my immediate focus this time around. I want to be a great shredder first, and let my other skills simply enhance my experience.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 May 2012 06:22

Welcome back Adam! Blast from the past. I'm happy to hear your years in prison didn't harden you to the world, and you're using footbag as a way to re-assimilate into free society. Welcome back, and good luck!

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 04 May 2012 07:55

Hey Adam,

It's great hearing your voice. Just wanted to give you some tidbits that will help ease you into your comeback. :)

1. I'm in Hamilton now. Close by is an amazing young player named Jay who is super enthusiastic and hitting some nasty stuff. He's a hero in the footbag community and made BAP at last year's Worlds in Finland. You're always welcome to visit and I can arrange a bed if you wanted to stay the night.
Mike Faille, a tiltless player and overall great guy is local as well.

2. Suderman is back in Brantford apparently. Not sure of the best way to reach him though...

3. Plans for an Eastern Canadian Championships in the works. Sounds like Montreal this summer, but dates are unconfirmed.

Welcome back, friend. :D

Jorden

P.S. I make a livable income off performing footbag now!
Jorden Moir

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 04 May 2012 10:50

Ken - Hah, prison eh? If I were in prison all this time, I am sure that I would be more physically fit than I currently am... at least I am guessing. It is great to know that after all this time, you still remember! Props.

Jorden - Hamilton is pretty close, are you there with friends or family? On or off the mountain? I have already gotten in touch with Johnny via texting, seems he isn't stitching or shredding much right now. You say that you are making a livable income doing demos? I think that is awesome! I can extend the same offer to you as well, I have a great roof, and not enough people under it.

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 04 May 2012 10:54

Also, nine years ago TODAY I joined modified.ca!

BADASS!
:P

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 21 May 2012 09:40

I remember really admiring your work. Welcome back!
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 26 Jun 2012 10:49

Hey Man!
Was a great read!
I only i would have read that few weeks ago, i could have push so you make it to Montreal this weekend. We had a cool jam!
So, you good resolution are still going on :)?
How is footbag?
Have you seen some old friend :O?
Mat

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 27 Jun 2012 13:01

Hey Matt! Yeah, I suppose it's about time for an update.

I am currently shredding about an hour per day, drilling strings of 3's and 2's, working on my consistency in my left leg clipper as it is my biggest weakness.

Fitness for me is going to change a bunch in the near future. Instead of relying on footbag to shed pounds, I am simply going to try to shed pounds by running and walking and eating a healthier diet, and try to enjoy footbag instead of putting athletic pressure on the whole idea of doing it.

I quit Karate that way.

I don't think I am quite up for any comps yet, I would really enjoy going to see another big one though.

I did however have a great idea for a footbag, and had Hania bring it to life!

Every time I set this bag, I giggle. Every time. It is so plush and perfect! Thank you Hania!

I have been in contact with Johnny a little bit, but I haven't even ran into anyone here in Toronto. I thought for sure that if I wore my Lavers on the TTC, someone would recognize the significance... but not as of yet. No one in any park, at any bus stop, or mall even knows what footbag is. I thought that Toronto would have a crazy scene seven years later, but now it feels like I have to build one.

:?
Adam Dexter

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Jun 2012 13:17

Adam is still really into it, moreso than before I think. He's tree planting in B.C., but will be back after the summer. I think he's the only one who really plays regularly. Where do you live now? Downtown-ish? I think most of the Ontario scene is in smaller surrounding areas: Oshawa, Hamilton, Kingston, London, although still only a few players in each city. Definitely hook up with Adam when he gets back. He's really good now, and I think that will really help progress your game, or facilitate more fun if that's more your goal. There are a few other non-regulars too, and some who are away for school who are only back for holidays.

I look forward to hearing more too. Where's the blog?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jul 2012 06:14

Is that Strongbad? If so, awesome.

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 03 Jul 2012 11:12

C-Fan wrote:Is that Strongbad? If so, awesome.
It is Samus Aran's helmet, from the game series Metroid.

On topic, I hit Fairy Ducking Reverse Whirling Crossbody Rake today!
Adam Dexter