Footbag shoes

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Venti15
Circle Kicker

Footbag shoes

Post by Venti15 » 02 Mar 2013 20:26

Hello i am new to the world of footbag and i have been really getting into it. I wanted to upgrade my shoes to ones that are better for footbag so after some research i discovered about the Rod laver shoes that people use, i then looked them up and realized that they were quite out of my price range so i went to my local kohls and got a cheep pair of shoes that i thought might work. So was wondering if i made a good choice and if not what other kind of shoes would be good to use.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-126672 ... es-men.jsp (this is a link to the shoes)

JDill
Circle Kicker

Re: Footbag shoes

Post by JDill » 02 Mar 2013 22:29

Not really the most qualified to answer your question, but from what I understand shoes with flat toes and wide, sort of cupped sides are the best. Rod Lavers by Adidas are considered the best by 99% of people who footbag, and they're fairly cheap, too.
http://www.zappos.com/adidas-originals-rod-laver
James Dillbeck
People call me J-Dill. Tables do not call me J-Dill.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Mar 2013 22:59

The Tony Hawk shoes don't look very good to me. I'd definitely recommend saving up the extra $10 for Lavers. If 9 other people donate $1 to the cause, I will too. The other thing worth doing is keeping a regular eye on ebay. I bought a bunch of g-units a while ago for $20 each cause they were cheap. You could also look at the modified 4 sale topics. Just a couple of days ago I bought a pair of Lavers (new) and a pair of Quantums (used) for about $40 each. If I didn't have to pay postage to Australia this would have cost pretty similar to the Tony Hawk shoes.

JDill
Circle Kicker

Post by JDill » 02 Mar 2013 23:37

I'd chip in a dollar, as well.
James Dillbeck
People call me J-Dill. Tables do not call me J-Dill.

Venti15
Circle Kicker

Post by Venti15 » 03 Mar 2013 06:24

I should have put that they were on sale for only 17 bucks which is why I got them, I wouldn't have even been able to get them for their base price of 30.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 Mar 2013 15:27

Seems a bit late to be asking if they're ok, if you've already bought them. I guess most footbaggers start out using less than ideal shoes; at least I know I did. This isn't necessarily to your detriment. I'd say the most important thing when you're starting is not your equipment but just practising a lot, challenging yourself, and having fun. If you happen to buy shoes or bags that aren't perfect, I wouldn't stress about it. In fact if you can learn the very basics - stalls, kicking, and basic dexes - with harder equipment, that can be a real boon later in your career. The toes on those shoes do look a little curvy, but if you can hit the middle, you'll still be able to stall. The shoes look light, so that's good. We can't see the inside and I think that could be the weakness. If it curves away in the middle, you'll end up learning to do inside stalls and clippers in the wrong spot. This isn't a disaster, but just something to try and manage. Good luck!

Venti15
Circle Kicker

Post by Venti15 » 03 Mar 2013 16:10

Jeremy wrote:Seems a bit late to be asking if they're ok, if you've already bought them. I guess most footbaggers start out using less than ideal shoes; at least I know I did. This isn't necessarily to your detriment. I'd say the most important thing when you're starting is not your equipment but just practising a lot, challenging yourself, and having fun. If you happen to buy shoes or bags that aren't perfect, I wouldn't stress about it. In fact if you can learn the very basics - stalls, kicking, and basic dexes - with harder equipment, that can be a real boon later in your career. The toes on those shoes do look a little curvy, but if you can hit the middle, you'll still be able to stall. The shoes look light, so that's good. We can't see the inside and I think that could be the weakness. If it curves away in the middle, you'll end up learning to do inside stalls and clippers in the wrong spot. This isn't a disaster, but just something to try and manage. Good luck!
I think they are good for now, i have them laced how most people lace them for footbag. they are very light and the top is thin and allows for good stability i am already learning stalls quite well with these shoes and i have mastered all the types of kick except for the outside kick but i am learning