Explaining footbag to outsiders

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Explaining footbag to outsiders

Post by Cass » 07 Jun 2009 15:48

I have trouble with this. How do you explain footbag to people without relating it to hacky sack?

Demonstrating isn't always possible, and I find it very hard explain the complexity of the sport to somebody who has never heard of it.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Jun 2009 16:16

Ask if they have internet on their phone, then show it to them on Youtube. Or if you're at their house, just show it to them on YT. With the advent of iphones, this has saved me a lot of words/time.

habitat
Post Master General

Re: Explaining footbag to outsiders

Post by habitat » 07 Jun 2009 16:38

Cassy wrote:How do you explain footbag to people without relating it to hacky sack?
You can't, stop trying. It is hacky sack. The way I do it now is just say hacky sack is a time waster and for fun and footbag is for people who train/take it more seriously and also like to have fun. Win/Win
James Randall

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Jun 2009 19:07

I usually say something like, "It's like hacky sack, but different. Kind of like the difference between ice skating and figure skating." And explain technicality a bit and stuff. Also YouTube if they seem interested. Or say that it's like freestyle soccer, because people know what that is now.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Jun 2009 19:10

I tell them that it's like hacky sack, but footbag and hacky sack are like the difference between the Macarena and breakdancing. One of them takes a lot of training and creativity, and the other one can be done easily by anyone who wants to have a good time with their friends.

That is good because when someone pictures breakdancing, they probably have a prevalent image in their head of some virtuoso, and when they think of the macarena, they have a prevalent image in their head of their drunk friend.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

matt_bailey
Multidex Master

Post by matt_bailey » 07 Jun 2009 23:37

Matt Cross wrote:footbag and hacky sack are like the difference between the Macarena and breakdancing
genius. im using this one next time :D
Matt Bailey

"what's up gov'ner!?"

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 08 Jun 2009 06:07

same as Erik and Matt, but I use skateboarding - street rider vs. x-games type of analogy. I use skateboarding because it's cool, and part of me cares that they think my hobby is cool (ha ha ha ha ha.. sorry... cool and footbag makes me laugh).

also, I long ago gave up explaining "footbag". I just say hacky sack, it's so much faster and easier. If someone comes back for more information, I take it to the next level, otherwise, it's not worth my time.
Bob R.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Jun 2009 06:14

Good responses so far.

Oftentimes when people ask me what my hobby is, I'll say "competitive hackysack." By inserting the word "competitive," it gives them the sense that its more serious than just hack, and usually baits them into asking the follow-up: "are there tournaments?" To which you can respond by telling them you are going to worlds, have been to worlds, just won a tourney, etc.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jun 2009 18:37

I usually just say that I "play a lot of hacky sack," and don't even bother trying to explain it. If I do try to explain it, I just say that it's "like hacky sack but only doing tricks." If people ask me to explain more, I tell them that it's too hard, but they should do a search on YouTube and watch it for themselves. Very occasionally I'll shadow some moves and explain what should be happening, fully aware that they either won't believe what I'm saying is possible, or they won't understand what I'm talking about. If I can actually demonstrate then that's far more preferable.

I don't think it's possible to explain it to somebody without showing them in a manner that accurately conveys the sport, and this is certainly the response I get when I try to explain footbag to somebody and then later show them.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 09 Jun 2009 05:13

jeremy wrote:
I don't think it's possible to explain it to somebody without showing them in a manner that accurately conveys the sport, and this is certainly the response I get when I try to explain footbag to somebody and then later show them.
Totally.. Sometimes, someone will politely pretend to actually give a crap when I make the mistake of really trying to explain my hobby (whereas I usually don't give much of an explanation because it isn't worth it). Then, sometime later, they may actually watch one of my videos, or see me playing live, and they're like "Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... I didn't know it was like THAT!".. ha ha, funny every time
Bob R.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 09 Jun 2009 10:30

I usually say footbag freestyle without mention to hacky sack because to say hacky sack will give them something to think that it is, and it certainly isn't what they're picturing/remembering.
I just describe it as an underground sport that you play with a little bag that requires a lot of focus and dexterity and you move your legs and body all precisely around it, and it take a bunch of practice.

Some people say, 'Oh like hacky sack?"and I have a few times pretended that I've never heard the term. Then they describe it, and I'm like oh well we both kick things, but I think they just try and keep it off the ground.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 09 Jun 2009 12:12

I love the confused look on their faces when you tell them that it's not for soccer training and it's done just for the sake of getting better at footbag.

Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

ThisIsFate
Multidex Master

Post by ThisIsFate » 09 Jun 2009 16:00

Zeke wrote:I love the confused look on their faces when you tell them that it's not for soccer training and it's done just for the sake of getting better at footbag.
I 2nd that this is so true.
kungho

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 28 Jun 2009 22:53

Im sick of the footbag term also. Why try and start a conversation about the game with a disagreement/contradiction every time???
What we do is hackeysack, it would be easier to change the perception of hackeysacking than to try and teach people that hacking and footbag sport are a different game/ they arent.

Picture adults playing stickball for no money, it is what it is. Even if they hit a regulation ball for home runs- its still stickball :)
Last edited by crazylegs32 on 05 Jul 2009 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Jun 2009 22:59

Yep I agree, I always try to avoid talking about footbag vs hacky sack, especially if I'm not actually playing.

Actually I mainly avoid this topic because after 8 years having the same conversation with different people, I'd rather just not talk at all, or start beating my head against the ground. The second option works better for avoiding the subject but is not so good for encouraging people that footbag is cool.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 04 Jul 2009 15:03

Ill call it footbag if they dont know what it is. But if they know its hackeysack I wont tell them its not.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Jul 2009 21:11

I just say I'm really into hacky sack tricks these days. I fully stopped caring about trying to tell people what to call it. I'll often say "when you do just tricks people call it footbag, but whatever" or something. I def don't jam it down their throat anymore.

Also, I ALWAYS have one in my pocket so it's easy to show them one real fast and pop off a super quick demo. (kicks>stalls>different surfaces>dexes>strings>cocky smile)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 06 Jul 2009 02:00

I carry one around with me all the time too, if anyone asks i just keep it even simpler, and tell them to keep it off the floor using any part of their body other than their hands, then toss it to them. After a couple of minutes, i say "And that, at its simplest level, is hackysack/footbag". If theyre still interested, ill go on to explain (my limited knowledge of) the various game types and disiplines, that what they were involved in might also be known as circle kicking, but generally, just getting them involved gets their interest. Something about pictures being worth a thousand words springs to mind.

Again, I dont fuss over terms. I know that the preffered term is footbag, but I started looking up info by first googling hackysack.
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

maverick-morley
Shredaholic

Post by maverick-morley » 11 Aug 2009 02:27

i know this answer, i say

FOOTBAG TAKES THE BEST PART OF FOOTBAll, (ie the tricks) CHANGES IT FROM A BAll TO A BAG, AND CALL IT ANOTHER NAME!

i use this explanation loads of times, and i always get laughs, and they understand what i meen!

though it isnt the full 9 yards about footbag, its short sweet, effective and intresting!

then give em a lil demo if you so desire!!
Mav