What makes a footbag event "bad"?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

What makes a footbag event "bad"?

Post by crazylegs32 » 20 Aug 2009 23:23

If said in the past- my requirements are music, water, nearby food, and most of all- fun players. Ive been to a few events that couldve been run better but I always manage to have lots of fun. What should people running events do to keep people happy?

Abe
Shredaholic

Post by Abe » 21 Aug 2009 00:00

Just to add to your list,

-A good venue

An event really needs a good surface, and lots of space to shred on. Having an indoor location is always a plus for playing at night or in the rain.And depending on the type of event (Jam, Tournament, etc). The venue should fit those needs, ie have a designated warm up area, shred area, competition area.

-Organization

Especially if the event is a tournament. Things need to run on schedule so that players can warm-up and compete in a comfortable fashion. Thats only the tip of the ice berg.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 21 Aug 2009 03:11

Out of curiosity, have you ever run an event Jon?

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 21 Aug 2009 05:21

I haven't re-written this in years, but I think 99% of it still holds true. It defines what a good event is, and how to accomplish running one like that. It used to be hosted on flipsider, but now it's just pasted in as text as the last post in the thread

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=8378

As for a bad event... In my opinion:
- bad venue is worst thing for me. No rain contingency being the worst issue, followed by poor playing surface, followed by no escape from heat.

- If venue is good, almost everything else can go wrong and the event will still be fun.

- Too many competitions. In most cases, the director is barely keeping the event alive as it is. And then they try to cram in every competition under the sun. And schedules get late, and too many players are forced to be judges, and no one has time to just shred for fun.

- Asshole players (this is from an event director's perspective). Not to be mean, but fellas, a lot of times players can come across as entitled little brats at events. Don't argue with me on this one, I'm speaking from a very strong position of understanding in this case. I stopped hosting events solely because of this factor, and it really ruins events for me when I see players treating another organizer that way. Be on time (EARLY) with your payment, be thankful that an event exists at all, help pickup each day, help setup each day, be courteous and polite to spectators, be somewhat mature.. It really does help the organizer, and it helps the vibe of the event.
Bob R.

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Re: What makes a footbag event "bad"?

Post by RawSko » 21 Aug 2009 07:40

crazylegs32 wrote:If said in the past- my requirements are music, water, nearby food, and most of all- fun players. Ive been to a few events that couldve been run better but I always manage to have lots of fun. What should people running events do to keep people happy?
You not getting punched by Chris at Funtastiks 07, was it?
Ben Roscoe

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 21 Aug 2009 07:59

When the tape is too sticky...

I FUCKING HATE that shit!
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 21 Aug 2009 08:04

Not having a bucket or other container where people can drop their car keys off if there's going to be drinking at the after-party. That way the driver can decide if he wants to commit to staying or not, instead of getting attacked and held to the ground and his keys taken by his fellow footbaggers for wanting to leave a crowded house full of 20 people and a cat that he's allergic to. /rant
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 21 Aug 2009 08:44

hahaha TIME BOMB...

I once went to a venue into which we were not allowed to bring our own water, and the bartender wanted a dollar for a single cup of ice water.

I've never been to a tournament without a rain spot, but that would definitely be a huge problem.

I think the most important stuff is the basics... Protection from the elements, good play surface, stable location (not in a place where we may be asked to leave), reasonable proximity of hotel to tournament locations (walking distance is of course my favorite)...

It also REALLY helps to have a good, private party spot (ie: some player's house) where 25 people or so can fit to have a good time and get down after the event! Tom Mosher's house was great for that, we even had a jam session / party in his living room!

If those basics are met, and you have a few players, and there is no great tragedy involved (players in a car accident, etc) I don't think you can really have a bad tournament.

If you keep a cool head and try and keep everyone reasonably happy, it's actually not that hard to hold a fun jam / tournament!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 21 Aug 2009 08:54

My house for the after party.... check

A selection fo flat areas to shred on all with great backdrops.... check

Water on hand... check....

Im sorted then it seems :D
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 21 Aug 2009 16:39

Everything that Matt said. I'm still waiting for KICKASS 3 to come by! :wink:

Remember Rochester NYJ '05-'06 when the indoor venue owners kicked us out for kicking a footbag accidentally on a wooden idol? Memories...

After-parties at player's houses are great! Definitely one of the best parts to any jam. Although... the VIP room(s) at the host hotel in NYJ at Chicago is seriously cozy.

And responsible behavior for every and any attendee is certainly required. No one likes an asshole.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 21 Aug 2009 21:56

Speaking of organization, the players role is important. I get a little pissy when someone's up to compete, but the players spend 20 minutes trying to find that competitor... and then it happens again for the next person... and the next...
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 22 Aug 2009 12:06

For major events:

Steep entry fees with no prize money

Bad playing conditions

Finals simply held in a gym, with no bleachers or even seats for spectators
Jorden Moir

krawallier
Fearless

Post by krawallier » 23 Aug 2009 07:32

ineresting thread.
Jorden wrote:For major events:

Steep entry fees with no prize money

having your post in the worlds thread in mind...

steep entry fees: bad (steep in the sense of you don't get your money worth. e.g. from what i heard, of those who actually came to worlds this year, nobody considered the entry fee steep)

i actually find that prize money easily can poison the atmosphere of a tournament. (meaning the available budget was cut for prize money)
max kerkhoff

fcfootstar

! 30TH ANNUAL IFPA WORLD FOOTBAG CHAMPIONSHIPS 2009 - BERLIN !

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 23 Aug 2009 08:56

max, the food alone was worth the fee. Add to that the water cooler with carbonated and non-carbonated water, fruit all day, a quality shirt, and entry to the parties... = best $90 I've spent in a long time.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Aug 2009 10:02

Matt Cross wrote:max, the food alone was worth the fee. Add to that the water cooler with carbonated and non-carbonated water, fruit all day, a quality shirt, and entry to the parties... = best $90 I've spent in a long time.
Complete and total agreement. Plus, the shirt design this year was excellent, and we got free entrance to parties too. This year's Worlds fee was worth it.

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 28 Sep 2009 11:31

Honestly, i've never been to a "bad" event...
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 29 Sep 2009 19:47

I havent either Will 8) I have heard others complain about various events so I posted the question. To Ken- I wouldnt dare put the effort into running an event around here. Theres no respect for people who put all the effort into making events happen.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 29 Sep 2009 20:27

No there's no respect for poeple who do nothing but complain.

Like your useless ass.

Bitch!
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 29 Sep 2009 20:57

how about the guy who ran every event youve been to- he got no respect either.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 29 Sep 2009 21:36

crazylegs32 wrote: Theres no respect for people who put all the effort into making events happen.
I've generally heard that running events is a thankless job. I have experienced thanks and respect from lots of people, but some bad apples are memorable.

Jon, you seem to go out of your way to subtly disrespect us over and over again, and make our contributions into nothing. And make up intentions for us that don't exist. You don't have or likely want all the information.