Footbag Politics

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
FlexThis
Post Master General

Footbag Politics

Post by FlexThis » 10 Aug 2010 13:42

I was so disgusted by the politics at Worlds this year that I had to make a thread about it.

I am all for the progression of the sport, but what rips me is the smothering of the sport by older players, the behind the back politics, back stabbing, ignoring of a sponsor, shoe wars, and the bold faced lies.

Attention politicians: THERE IS NO MONEY CURRENTLY IN FOOTBAG. We are not there yet. Please stop forcing your agenda from 1990 onto 2010. If you would continue to be patient, then great things may happen. And when it does, what difference does it make if it were you that made it happen or some outside entity? Regardless, the outside world will need to come through your old retired asses to get to the sport anyways. So quit all your shady dealings and let things progress.

Sorry for the rant, but that's about as much information as I care to share at this time. Caution to newbies: there is more to footbag than the sweet moves we pull, so be cautious and question everything.

~politics is a waste of time in footbag
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 10 Aug 2010 17:09

Hey, Damen...

Don't know what happened at worlds, but there is always going to be people who play footbag for different motives... and some of those reasons aren't as appealing to others.

Don't be discouraged. Not only are there really great athletes in this sport, there are really great people... and sometimes you just have to learn which personalities you get along with best.

As far as money in footbag goes, you're right... it's practically non-existent. And sure, it probably won't happen for a while. But it's worth the struggle now to improve the sport years down the line. Imagine how footbag was 10 years ago... and look at how far it's come now! Without those people that made that happen, we wouldn't have anything near what we have now. We could potentially all be kicking juice bags in Nikes. Not that that's not fun... it's just not very athletic or competitive. Again, everyone has a different motive for playing footbag - personally mine doesn't involve competition - but I definitely do not enjoy Nikes and light bags.

Keep your mind open and try to have some patience with the people you don't get along with. I have a really hard time doing this myself, but the sport does need to progress in a lot of aspects, and it's going to take time and open minds.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 10 Aug 2010 18:30

You should write speeches for politicians, Damon. ;)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 10 Aug 2010 18:38

Agreed. I am mostly referring to blatant acts of disrespect by respected members of footbag. Witnessed by all, realized by few and commented on by the Golden Child himself. I learned a lot more about the ugly side of footbag than I ever cared to know. I never wanted to know, like ever!

I have faith in this sport and the hard work of all those involved. Maybe another 10 years will bring brighter days.
~Damon Mathews

Colin
Flower Child

Re: Footbag Politics

Post by Colin » 10 Aug 2010 19:33

FlexThis wrote:there is more to footbag than the sweet moves we pull
Not to me there ain't.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

defender
Shredalicious

Post by defender » 10 Aug 2010 22:57

Didn't realize this was Damon Mathews. Post deleted. What happened, Damon?
Risden

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 11 Aug 2010 13:55

Right, all this talking around whatever happened is only making me (and probably others) more curious about this. I understand posting out of frustration, but this doesn't really seem like a good way of tackling whatever the problem is.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 11 Aug 2010 14:09

I just think those involved need to "Play Nice!"

They know who they are. And that makes it helpful :)
~Damon Mathews

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 13 Aug 2010 03:04

Frank_Sinatra wrote:Right, all this talking around whatever happened is only making me (and probably others) more curious about this. I understand posting out of frustration, but this doesn't really seem like a good way of tackling whatever the problem is.
Snap. Im curious too
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 13 Aug 2010 04:43

Why didn't you contact them directly then?

This way of handling things reminds of shady politicians.

That was the sour thing I had to say other than that: I agree, there are some stupid shit going on in footbag from time to time. And people need to get better at getting shit out there and let the general public (of footbaggers) form the sports general opinion.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 15 Aug 2010 06:03

This needs to get wikileaked.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 15 Aug 2010 16:47

Is this about BAP ? I think your skills might have been a little low this year to make the cut. It wasn't a huge conspiracy or anything. Just practice, and try to get in bigger circles next year.

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 15 Aug 2010 17:05

Roflstomped by the Camster ... good game sir...

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 16 Aug 2010 11:46

There is money in footbag, just no profit.

I dunno, but if I was dropping 4 grand just for the carpet so the freestylers could kick, I'd like to have things run my way a bit. We had a nice tournament center, that I don't think many people didn't like. Not to mention we were able to hang out there 24/7. A lot of money was dropped for this competition, and I doubt the IFPA will even break even.

Face it, no matter where you go there are going to be different schools of thoughts (in any sport/hobby/etc) that will conflict with each other.

But yeah it sucks :)
Look a BLOG! That I never update
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16244

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 16 Aug 2010 18:43

I was there, and I have no idea what is being talked about. Didn't realize I was so oblivious. I'd like to know though.

edit: But honestly, what's to gain by making a veiled post like this. Deal with it head-on with the parties involved, or come out with it. None of this, "I know something you don't know" schoolyard nonsense.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Aug 2010 18:56

I think there is "politics" present in any situation where a group of people trying to manage or organise something. The only way to get rid of politics is to not do anything. Footbag politics is no worse than the politics in any other sport or organisation that I've been involved with. I'm sure that people want what's best for footbag. They just have different values and different goals.

In most small collections of people such as in footbag, a big part of the problem is a lack of strategy. One of the ways that big organisations reduce the amount of the frustrating style of politics that Damon is talking about is by beginning with strategic planning - what do we want footbag to look like? After reaching some kind of concensus on this question you can then ask "how do we acheive that?" and move from there. Specific small scale decisions should really fit in to the long term strategy, and smaller scale strategies should fit in to the long term strategy.

Another problem that most small scale collections of people face is a lack of training or understanding in group work, politics, debate and critical thinking. This is why we see so many ad hominen arguments and why it's so hard to have serious discussions on footbag issues that really lead anywhere.

These are problems that most groups face. They can definitely be overcome. It just takes time, effort, patience and understanding. I don't accept that footbag is particularly bad.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 18 Aug 2010 06:23

qphox wrote:I was there, and I have no idea what is being talked about. Didn't realize I was so oblivious. I'd like to know though.

edit: But honestly, what's to gain by making a veiled post like this. Deal with it head-on with the parties involved, or come out with it. None of this, "I know something you don't know" schoolyard nonsense.
I agree with Kevin. I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't see what this purposely ambiguous post accomplishes. [Damon you are still cool in my book though, nothing personal to you].

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 18 Aug 2010 19:18

Is this about me not making circle finals? Because I'm totally over it. :wink:
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 19 Aug 2010 05:06

You guys are funny! Lol

Jeremy nailed it, it's about politics in general. It is not important what the details are, what is important is that the issue of politics is brought to light so that those involved can avoid mistakes like the ones made at Worlds.

There is no great controversy, just a clash of ideas that didn't clash so well.
~Damon Mathews

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 19 Aug 2010 05:59

FlexThis wrote:You guys are funny! Lol

Jeremy nailed it, it's about politics in general. It is not important what the details are, what is important is that the issue of politics is brought to light so that those involved can avoid mistakes like the ones made at Worlds.

There is no great controversy, just a clash of ideas that didn't clash so well.
What a bunch of gibberish, you're very good at talking without saying anything.
Nicholas Laroche