alternative shoes for footbag

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
antoy
Circle Kicker

alternative shoes for footbag

Post by antoy » 10 Jul 2011 05:19

What do people think about the Addidas Indoor Tennis shoes (mesh)?

Has anyone tried them out?

They look almost identical to the Lavers except for the leather on the toe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MENS-ADIDAS-IND ... 84b819a847

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 10 Jul 2011 05:43

basic response:

Just get normal lavers,g-units,quantums, etc

my response:

do w/e you want man

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 10 Jul 2011 06:06

The outside surface looks like it's really thick in the picture.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 10 Jul 2011 08:20

Yeah, there are a lot of shoes that look like Lavers, because it's a common shape. That's the easy part to find - the hard part is finding the right shape with the right material, which is what Lavers have. Those shoes don't look horrendous, but if you're already buying shoes for footbag, just get lavers.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Jul 2011 10:28

toe and inside look sloped, can't tell how thick the material is, or if it's moddable.

Stick with lavers.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

antoy
Circle Kicker

Post by antoy » 10 Jul 2011 12:10

?What will everyone do if they stop making Lavers? Hmmmm

just keeping my eye out for some others.

thanks guys.

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 11 Jul 2011 10:35

antoy wrote:?What will everyone do if they stop making Lavers? Hmmmm

just keeping my eye out for some others.

thanks guys.
I found these while looking on the net.....it seems that they require good crank and have similar support as the nucleus , but seem to promote a good game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKc0p8CfuE[/youtube]

on a serious note just buy a pair of gunits...they last for years

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 17 Jul 2011 09:45

Giving money in exchange for footbag shoes from footbag companies, designed by footbaggers (our friends who are taking a business risk) financially helps footbag and footbaggers: 100%.
Buying random mass-produced shoes not from footbag companies financially helps footbag and footbaggers: 0%.

So...which choice seems like the wisest investment of your money?
Being obsessed with the playability of shoes for 10 years, I can tell you as fact that the shoe you linked to is not even close to the playability of Nucleus and Quantum shoes.

Jorden
Jorden Moir

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Re: alternative shoes for footbag

Post by CRKDMike » 05 Jul 2013 09:30

When buying shoes for footbag, I don't care too much about supporting the community. If a shoe works for you, then use it! Don't bother asking people what they think, because it's not THEM who will be wearing/buying the shoes.

The wisest investment of my money (when buying footbag shoes) would be something reasonably priced, comfortable, stylish, readily available, and able to lend itself to clippers/toe stalls and shock absorption. Also, mesh or suede is key, because leather is slippery, and could encourage the bag to slide off your foot.

Quantums, Lavers and Nucleus would be nice, but they are a shot in the dark for me, since I can't try them on. It doesn't make too much sense to pay for shipping a pair of shoes twice (once when buying, and once when returning) because they don't feel right on your feet, or look goofy. Plus try finding a pair of Lavers in Black that are your size.....good luck. Also Quantums are scarce online, as the only source I could find was Planetfootbag.com, and they don't have a page that is in english. Also Canada isn't a choice when attempting to buy anything from that site. Nucleus shoes, although designed for footbag, just scream cheap footwear to me, and are not made by a reputable company (like Adidas).

Right now I'm using Adidas Neo's. They are my Avatar <----, and they are really good for my needs.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Jul 2013 18:06

Planet Footbag has an English page, although it's down at the moment, apparently due to hacking attempts.

Shoes are one of those things where new players often think they've found a different brand that is good, but they're always wrong. I'd strongly recommend getting the shoes that the experts wear. If you go to a tournament there's a really good chance you'll find somebody close to your size who will let you try on their shoes and get a pair that fits.

In terms of the question "What will everyone do if they stop making Lavers?" - well I have 3 pairs of unused footbag shoes, and 2 pairs of still usable shoes.

I agree with Jorden, except I found my Nucleus shoes to be worse than any pair of "non-footbag" shoe that I've worn over the years, especially the inside, which seems like the only part of a shoe where the brands of shoes people where for footbag are noticeably different to the majority of similar shoes (and weight/bulkiness I guess), and it's virtually impossible to get Quantums in my size at the moment (or any comparable size). So I'd say check to make sure PF doesn't have your size, and then get Lavers from World Footbag, or search E-Bay and the modified for sale pages.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 08 Jul 2013 03:34

CRKDMike wrote:Right now I'm using Adidas Neo's. They are my Avatar <----, and they are really good for my needs.
I too have a pair of Adidas Neos, and while the sole follows the same profile as Lavers, I wouldn't recommend them. I could probably hit a tiltless string or two with them, but I hate to think how infuriating hitting something like Atom smasher would be for me. And by hit it, i mean cleanly hit it, not just "get it off my toe before it rolls off" hit it.

Still, each to their own. I personally prefered to take the tried and tested route of the hundreds of laver users that have gone before, and I considered the fact that I wanted to get better at footbag over how stylish my feet would look. In summary; Best Investment Ever
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Post by CRKDMike » 16 Jul 2013 11:52

As with every sport, equipment is important, but what you do with it is more important. People used to come up to me after my band's performance and say "hey man, your drums sound AWESOME!!", so I would look at these people while holding my ear to my drumset and tell them that actually these drums aren't making any sound at all. Some people don't understand that a great drummer can make the crappiest drumset sound great. Are you picking up what I'm putting down? buy shoes that work for you, whether they work for anyone else or not.

Buying these Adidas indoor tennis shoes may be the best thing you ever did. Not because they are the tried and tested shoes that every freestyler uses, but because they work for you. By that I mean, you like them, you want them, they work for freestyle footbag, and they are in your price range.

Ignore the elitists, and make this sport your own! most of it is about style anyway, so be original!!

You probably aren't even checking this thread anymore anyways, it is as old as my underwear.

DubleDex
Shredaholic

Post by DubleDex » 16 Jul 2013 12:52

When you first start kicking, I would encourage every shredder to kick in whatever makes them comfortable. This is a highly personal sport and it really is all about having fun and expressing your own unique style.

That being said, if and when you're ready to elevate your game to the next level, it's time to buy a pair of Lavers. Yes, a great athlete can do amazing things with subpar equipment, but a great athlete can not reach their full potential without the best equipment. There's a reason Andy Murray doesn't play with a wooden racket, why LeBron James doesn't play basketball in flip flops, and why Michael Phelps doesn't swim in parachute pants.

Would Andy Murray kick my ass if I was playing tennis with the world's best equipment and he had a wooden racket? Yes. Would Lebron embarrass me on the basketball court wearing clogs and a dress? Absolutely. Heck, Michael Phelps could outswim me wearing cement shoes. But those guys want to be the best, so they're going to choose the equipment that helps them achieve it (and, they most certainly won't beat the next-best guy in line who IS using the best equipment when they aren't).

In the case of footbag, Lavers are tried and tested by the best athletes in our sport.

Sure, you don't need them to be good or to have fun, but if you get to the point where you start taking the sport seriously and want to improve your consistency, learn new tricks faster, and reach your full potential, then they are the best choice.
Darren Kautz
Kicking since 1991

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Post by CRKDMike » 17 Jul 2013 09:20

DubleDex wrote:Yes, a great athlete can do amazing things with subpar equipment, but a great athlete can not reach their full potential without the best equipment. There's a reason Andy Murray doesn't play with a wooden racket, why LeBron James doesn't play basketball in flip flops, and why Michael Phelps doesn't swim in parachute pants.
Okay, lets not lose sight of the fact that he is not attempting to play with wooden shoes, or genie shoes (you know, with the curly toes), he is looking at alternative, comparable footwear that is of similar quality and style as Lavers. Your comparison to playing with outdated, or inappropriate equipment is irrelevant. I agree that freestylers should not use inappropriate shoes if they want to play to their full potential. That is obvious.
DubleDex wrote:Would Andy Murray kick my ass if I was playing tennis with the world's best equipment and he had a wooden racket? Yes. Would Lebron embarrass me on the basketball court wearing clogs and a dress? Absolutely. Heck, Michael Phelps could outswim me wearing cement shoes. But those guys want to be the best, so they're going to choose the equipment that helps them achieve it (and, they most certainly won't beat the next-best guy in line who IS using the best equipment when they aren't).
The shoes in question just may give you that edge!!
DubleDex wrote:In the case of footbag, Lavers are tried and tested by the best athletes in our sport.

Sure, you don't need them to be good or to have fun, but if you get to the point where you start taking the sport seriously and want to improve your consistency, learn new tricks faster, and reach your full potential, then they are the best choice.
Lets not forget that Lavers are not footbag shoes. They are tennis shoes that lend themselves to footbag nicely. How did someone figure that out? well, they went shopping and said, "hey! those shoes look like they would be rad to shred in" (I use the term "rad" because this took place back in the day when "rad" was the term to use ). You are doing the same thing!! and since there are literally hundreds if not thousands of new shoe models coming out daily, who is to say that you can't make that same discovery!?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, buy shoes that work for you. Whether you buy what works for other people or not.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Jul 2013 19:00

The comparison with wooden shoes etc. is clearly using hyperbole as a rhetorical device, which is completely legitimate. Obviously there is a scale of how good shoes are for footbag, and it's not the only factor, but it's one factor, and you want to pick the shoes at the top end of the scale. The example being given was demonstrating a. that there is a scale, and b. that it makes a difference despite the confounding factors.

It's very common in the footbag community for new players to suggest brands of shoes that are not particularly good, because they haven't used the shoes that are good. You can look through this forum and see many brands of shoes suggested, by many new players. I know of no occasions when the suggested shoes turned out to be widely adopted by the footbag community. Over the years a number of brands of shoes have been adopted by the footbag community other than Lavers (G-units, Climacools, there was a puma brand too for a short while I think), but all of those adoptions were instigated by people who had used the alternatives and decided those brands were comparable or better.

If you look in this topic, the people posting in favour of the conventional footbag shoes have many decades of experience between them, while those posting in favour of a new brand of shoes haven't even tried the highly recommended shoes. I don't mean to make an argument from authority, but you've at least got to look at all the evidence before you can make a reasoned decision.

So if you can, save up and buy lavers. If you can't afford the $60 for Lavers and can't save up, and can't find a cheaper deal on ebay, obviously you have to use the shoes you have.

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Post by CRKDMike » 18 Jul 2013 20:09

Hey Jeremy come on now....just because I'm new to this forum doesn't mean I'm new to the sport! I'm no footbag master, but I own lavers, and have shredded in many types of shoes since 1999. LOL You are too much....and I guess that blows your argument out of the water......

It seems as though this sport is inundated with players and ultimately a community that doesn't embrace shoe options, but I suppose I would be derailing this thread by starting that whole conversation...there's probably already a thread on that topic somewhere else on this desolite forum....

I remember in my kenny shultz video, he was using Le Coq Sportif shoes. Another great example that there are many types of shoes that are great for freestyle footbag, and some of them will be (or already are) discontinued. You can cry about it, or move on and experiment with new shoes since there are SOOOO many new models coming out on a daily basis. Maybe I'll do a review on shoes next instead of footbags...

We are all free to have our opinions, and mine still stands; there are MANY different models of shoe that will allow you to freestyle to your highest potential.

I can't see the shoes that you are referring to because this thread is so old that the pics don't display. However, I am sure that they are fine for shredding, as long as they have the attributes that you require in a footbag shoe. Everyone is different with their requirements, but here are my personal suggestions in no particular order:

-light weight
-flat surfaces (toe, instep, heel etc.)
-breathable
-shock absorbing sole
-stable base
-affordable
-accessible
-stylish
-durable

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 18 Jul 2013 23:46

Whenever I see a post from you now, I think to myself.....

Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Post by CRKDMike » 19 Jul 2013 11:07

It's true, sometimes I can't help but correct people when they say rediculous things, or make blanket statements. It's probably better for everyone if you just accept my point of view and don't argue hahaha

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Jul 2013 11:12

On topic: Jeremy is correct on all fronts on this topic.

Off topic: I still appreciate seeing activity on modified, even if it's a topic that's been beaten to death and reappears regularly.

CRKDMike
Hack Fiend

Post by CRKDMike » 19 Jul 2013 11:24

Sorry Ken, but your post is misleading. There is no correct or incorrect, this is purely a matter of opinion. You probably meant to say that you agree with Jeremy...

Weird thing, either there are literally only 5 active users on this forum, or the same people keep posting where I do. This thread is starting to look like my "Footbag=Alternative Sport" thread. I guess that means we're all trolling together eh Ian?