Making bags: instructions/tutorials

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 15 Nov 2005 11:02

Chris,
there is no one correct method, lots of different things can be done that will work.

Use some creativity and come up with a method that you like.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 15 Nov 2005 12:22

Well, that's the method I came up with theoretically. I'm just going to use one long thread on each pentagon, start at the first hex, then go all the way around til I get to where I started and tie those two ends together. Hopefully that will work out. I just didn't know if an experienced stitcher could tell me if they think tying off after each hex is better. I mean, I know this is like ninja trade-secret stuff so I can always use trial and error. But that's why we have this forum isn't it?

Edit: I actually have read a lot of posts on this topic, so don't think I'm just jumping out there on this one post. I think I may have seen a post saying it's good to tie off after each hex. Just curious to what some of the pros are doing, and thought I'd post my question in the Making bags: Tutorial/Instructions topic. If there are any posts I overlooked, I'd be happy to go check em out. As of now though, I'm gonna tie off after each hex just for extra strength.

2nd Edit: Okay, I'm only tying off after pents. Someone told me that is good, and then after thinking about it it makes cents.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Bander87
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Bander87 » 16 Dec 2005 09:28

Dental floss seems to work pretty well for people. Right now I have two different kinds of dental floss, one thats more of a single stranded plastic, and another one thats more multistranded and more like a rope. Anyone have suggestions on which dental floss to use? Thanks.

EDIT: I just found out that the WAXED kind is better. Thanks Joe.

David Morawski
BSOS Beast

Post by David Morawski » 16 Dec 2005 11:19

I was under the impression that unwaxed was better.
Invictus.
Footblog // Challenges

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 16 Dec 2005 11:24

waxed = wicked
Tom Mosher

SergeyKozlov
BSOS Beast

Post by SergeyKozlov » 16 Dec 2005 11:30

^^^word!

I tried both, and UNwaxed is better!

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 16 Dec 2005 11:38

I guess you misunderstood me Che, I meant that WAXED IS BETTER.

It means that you can melt it instead of using knots.

I don't think bag tutorials are a good idea, I think that people figuring out for themselves how THEY want to make bags is a better idea. A tutorial would mean that you are just following the ideas that someone else thinks are best and all your creativity is just thrown out the window.
Tom Mosher

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 16 Dec 2005 12:35

I think tutorials are the way to go and will let to more people producing quality bags. Why make everyone start from the beginning everytime they start the stitching process. The skill level of footbag these days is a good example of how seeing someone else do something prociently can lead to many people picking up the skills more quickly. Remember how nemesis was so hard? how many people can hit it now?

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Author: Isaac Newton
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

skimhumboldt?
Shredalicious

Post by skimhumboldt? » 16 Dec 2005 21:38

I agree partly with mosher, taking time with trial an error to figure out the techneque to make 32s is good because it creates your own stitching style (it took me about 3 bags to develop mine) but i also think a general tutorial on 32s (not too detailed) would be good for beginners to get started.
Isaac Williams
PM me if you want to trade 32s

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 16 Dec 2005 22:26

ditto, I like the mystery, but a general tutorial is definitely key. ie. this page: http://www.valinet.com/~dbotkin/sew.html and maybe just a few other notes about gathering and tieing off after a pent. That was crucial info that shouldn't be trial and error.

Some other helpful pages: Bags and Equipment>New bags sticky, pages 29-40 some great pics, mosher's inside out bag really helped me.

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 17 Dec 2005 01:06

Chris, 1 string per pentagon is best IMO, if ur stitching and gathering are even, u'll get a better break-in than if you were to tie off the string after each hex.. plus it's faster. Your last blue/white bag looked like u improved a lot, so maybe i'm late on this :)

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 17 Dec 2005 08:33

I don't understand stitching at all.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 18 Dec 2005 08:11

I'll show you how to blind stitch in person soon enough Dan!

And I'm kinda glad I was too drunk and fell asleep when Tom showed me how to stitch the first time. I basically had to figure out the whole thing except "6-holes" which I remembered. I messed up many times and had to undo things. I also didn't have bleed holes in my first bag at all... and maybe my second as well. I learned of the methodology of doing things more efficiently.

I like hypothesizing and coming up with my own style. I wouldn't have learned how different things affect the appearance of the bag if I didn't make so many mistake/experiment bags. I think my bags are coming out really nicely. I really wouldn't have liked it if my bags came out like moshers every time because I only knew how to go through the motions of making a mosher.

I have to admit, if I didn't have a pattern or the knowledge of 6 even holes, I probably would have fared a lot worse. I see nothing wrong with this general tutorial.
Pengpeng Du

Bander87
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Bander87 » 26 Dec 2005 23:18

I've been practicing stitching lately, nothing serious. With the couple 4 panels I've made, when I spred/ stretch the panels apart, I can see the thred, but its generally not visible if I leave it alone. I think I have to gether more, but what exactly does gather mean? I sew somewhat deep and pull decently tight though.
Thanks.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 27 Dec 2005 00:37

Gather is a concept more used in bags with a greater number of panels, specifically, 32.

Gathering is 'bunching up' the material on the thread. You don't really have to gather a 4 panel bag.
Tom Mosher

David Morawski
BSOS Beast

Post by David Morawski » 27 Dec 2005 01:52

Could someone explain the '6 holes' method?

On this [valinet.com] page (at the bottom) the stitcher uses 6 holes (4 pent-hex, 2 hex-hex), but in this [footbag.org] picture the stitcher uses 5 holes to connect the pentagon to the hexagon, and the hex-to-hex stitching isn't clear.

Also, isn't there a fundamental problem with the valinet.com method of stitching? I say this because using an even amount of pent-hex holes will have your thread sticking out on the wrong side.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Invictus.
Footblog // Challenges

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 27 Dec 2005 04:26

The second pic is misleading. It's actually saying the same thing, six holes. But if you look, that very first hole on the right has no thread going through it yet. Really you want to start by looking at the hex, with the pent underneath, and push the needle through both fabrics via a hole on the left most corner of the hex. Move a little over, and go back through the pent and on through the hex. Repeat that 3 times, and then when you get back to the hex side on the last hole, push the needle through a hole to the right of the last one on the hex, this time only going from the hex to the corner of the next hex. Do that five times and tie off.

Hope that cleared it up a little, it's hard to explain without pictures, but I don't have a decent camera to show you. That first pic though has a decent view of what you should do.

David Morawski
BSOS Beast

Post by David Morawski » 27 Dec 2005 12:48

Beautiful, Chris. I understand perfectly now. That clears so much up....I finally have a clear idea of what I'm stitching, after I finish cutting out these stupid black pentagons (stupid because the lines are so hard to see).

Thanks again.
Invictus.
Footblog // Challenges

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 27 Dec 2005 19:26

This topic has been unstickied and a link to it added to the "Stitching/Shoe Modding/Breaking in tutorial (Archive)" thread to make the forum tidier and easier to read.

The "Stitching/Shoe Modding/Breaking in tutorial (Archive)" can be found here: http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11583

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 24 Aug 2006 15:11

Is the glover's needle the best to use when stitching ultrsuede? Or is there some other needle better? Also, what is a good size for the needle? Thanks for the help!
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience