Wyrmfyre's Blog - Size 12 Lavers?

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 11 Apr 2010 03:16

Thanks Nathan. Yep, thats the first double dex, ive hit it all of once before. That one makes twice :D
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 11 Apr 2010 05:41

Longest string ive done.... like... ever...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyrWf6e8g0w[/youtube]
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 14 Apr 2010 02:52

Another brief hilight vid from last night. This video blogging malarkey is much more fun.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxU-BK4PyCI[/youtube]

Flip pixie is a work in progress :D I can get the pixie, but theres this sort of momentary split second brain shutdown where i cant quite get the footwork right to move into another trick.

Im also shredding at half a stone lighter than i was 3 months ago, im now just a smidge over 13 stone. If i could shed another stone, id be happy. In the mean time, ill just put up with any and all man boob jokes that come my way.
Ian Cozens

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 14 Apr 2010 06:55

Hey! Here's an advice J.M gave me about pixie.
Set the bag towards your knee, and then move the knee. He scowled at me for tilting my ankle outwards when doing pixie.
This is in no way criticism of your pixie as I don't think I'm in a position to criticize, just passing on information that was useful to me.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 16 Apr 2010 10:29

I came to realise that by videoing everything I achieve footbag wise, that means I have to think of things to write about.

So here goes.

Its occured to me that my efforts to try and engage more people in this area in playing footbag are futile, maybe even border line damaging, to my hopes of ever finding even one person. In all my conversations with people who i think might like it, i realised that everyone would mention how hard it looked or how difficult it must be. At the time i basically ignored this, just lol'ed, probably said "Come oooooooooon you know you wanna", but the truth is to be putting the kind of videos up that I am doing now has taken me the better part of a year or practicing. I suppose, in a way, when I ask someone to come and play footbag theyre expecting that they will be expected to hit double legovers too. I think.....

So for the next week/month/whatever, as an experiment, im asking people to come play hackysack with me. Basically, im looking to hang out with some friends, kick a small bag to each other, listen to some music and just chill. When the bag gets around to me, Ill hit a few tricks, then pass it back on. I figure this less passive approach will let them decide for themself if its something theyd like to give a proper try, rather than my somewhat more agressive ways.

In summary, does anyone want to meet me at the Sutton MUGA Pitch, Lincolnshire, England, Tommorow at mid-day, and kick a bag around for a while? Bring some music, and a beer if you want!
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 25 Apr 2010 01:17

^^ The experiment is still ongoing.... early results are that this approach is only slightly more effective as any other ive tried.

Played 3 sessions yesterday in total. Played at the beach by the gin and tonic where the spirits of Matt and Nick still linger. I hit nothing but tiltless string pretty much the whole time but it still turned heads. The same was true when I went for my second session, this time closer to the main beach access where plenty of bikers had shown up for the weekend. A few kids stopped and asked what I was doing, one guy said that if Id had a cap down he'd have thrown some money in it ( note to self : investigate local busking laws, if there are any :D ). I would have loved to stay down there longer but I lacked planning both times and ran out of water very quickly. I am looking, for me at least, slightly tanned today too, like someone who lives near a beach and actually makes use of it instead of tucking himself away in a back garden all the time.

Then a kicky sesh with Jamie and a friend of his in his back yard, shortly followed for a barbeque for about 12 people at my place. All in all tis weekend has been great, even if i havent learned or hit anything new.....

.....Yet... Theres still one day left, and anyone that has me on FB might know that theres three tricks now I just need to get the seal on, one of which involves a new uptime for me. I need a total rethink of all my training goals, im wasting my time now drilling mirages and legovers when I could easily trade those out for some of the new 3's ive been hitting. Ive also been eyeing up the 92 panel bags that are hitting the thread, idly fondling the last bit of Alcantara (sp?) I have, and thinking how sick a bag like that would look for our Net-ish games.

Choices choices....

[Edit] Almost forgot...

For the past couple of years work has been ongoing to strengthen and support the sea defences. I remember a while back watching this huge boat dredging sand up from about a mile out to sea, and pumping it onto the beach through the worlds largest hosepipe. This may have already been there before and I just havent noticed, but I snapped a pic of this

How cool is that? I can play literally on the beach, without having to stand on the sand!
Ian Cozens

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 29 May 2010 12:30

That looks like an amazing spot to shred! And dude, when I finally get myself to the UK, I'll come over with a beer and some music for sure! :P

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 25 Jun 2010 05:18

Got back from London yesterday, and I wished i didnt have to, but reality bites, work beckoned, blah blah ad infinitum.

Arrived in London on the Wednesday and was immediately bewildered by the big city. Damn they do like their buildings tall. You can tell Ive spent a lot of time living in flat county areas. As I approached Leicester square my phone buzzed in my pocket. Everyone was still at the hostel, but that gave me time to explore a little. The first thing I found (well, ok, maybe not the first thing, there was so much there grabbing my attention) were some freestyle footballers busy doin' their thang. I of course, being a worshipper of the sack did my best to remain only mildly amused with the tricks they were doing :) but my hat goes off to them, they really knew how to throw it down.

Half an hour and a cheeseburger later I was joined by Matt, who introduced me to Jana, Tuomas and Marco, and we headed off to find a suitable spot, opting for a gazeebo in a park (which park, I forget). And then I had my mind blown. Maybe it was me getting caught up in the rarity of the moment, or the heat, or maybe i was still in shock from spending twice as much as normal for a bottle of water, but whatever it was, watching those four play.... it was like discovering footbag for the first time again. It felt to me at least like a great mix of styles; from Tuomas and Matts technicality, to Marco and Jana's playful style. Its amazing how much I learned without having to ask anything.

We took some time to explore London a little and hunt for food while we were at it. The German World Cup match was being shown in pretty much every pub too, and while i knew It was wrong, i pledged to Marco over my fish finger sandwich to cheer them on. Secretly. In silence. :)

We grabbed a few beers and took them for a walk to the South Bank, To be greeted by a display that the National Theatre was calling "The Green Room". Basically, it consisted of a large open space, three sofas and a table, all completely covered in astroturf. Its like they knew we were coming! Thanks for that, National Theatre of London!

We headed back there the next day for my second and last circle of the trip. I got to see my first whirr up close and personal, which only made the need for me to hit that just once in my life even fiercer. Personally, I dont think I played at my best. I certainly didnt hit anything new, although i did a couple of whirls back to back, which was nice, and it turns out what I thought might be stepping set IS stepping set, but i didnt hit ripwalk.

But it doesnt matter. Sometimes footbag isnt about hitting big adds and crazy tricks. Sometimes, its just about getting to hang out with a few great people.

Though im pretty sure they wernt that blurry at the time :D
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 14 Jul 2010 02:12

A few interesting developments. It seems I cold be demoing some footbag to a few local "figures of authority" including the local police. Apparently two officers have a scheme running called the Staurday Night Sports Project, so im hoping to get footbag on their regular activities list.

Ill also be (hopefully) meeting some guys from our local sports center, again just to get footbag in their minds and perhaps a regular club set up for the winter months. After that (again, hopefully :D ), itll be a lady from the council who also helps run and organise various sporting activities in this area. Hopefully she can keep me up to date with events and the like that I could go to and perhaps run some kind of footbag workshop. Lots of feet in lots of doors at the moment, its all looking very good :D

Excited, check. Poopin' bricks, also check.
Ian Cozens

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 14 Jul 2010 04:44

Wow... Lucky you!

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 12 Sep 2010 02:33

Im giving consideration to moving my blog to be hosted on the Pure-Shred.co.uk website, because itll hopefully give it a boost, and in turn it might give me more motivtion to update it.

I feel like im going through a transition in footbag at the moment. I curse the shortness of my string length, but at the same time im happy to be hitting bigger combos. I certainly dont feel like ive peaked as far as my footbag "career" goes. I have to compete next year, at some level, somewhere!

Todays hilights :

Warmup : Switch Rpt for 31 contacts
Warmup : Mirage > Switch > rpt 24 contacts
Ducking clipper BS (Finally)
Whirl BS
Double orbit several times

Fave combo today was Open Same Clipper > Osis > Diving Clipper > near Mirage and off into my usual tiltless game. Fairly simple, but felt great!

Edited : Because half my post was missing!
Last edited by WyrmFyre on 12 Sep 2010 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Cozens

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 12 Sep 2010 05:25

What are you talking about, "peak"? You're not even remotely close to reaching your peak!

Get back to drilling :evil:
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 11 Oct 2010 00:22

Up til last night i hadnt kicked properly in about a week. Last nights session was just for fun, nothing really drilled or practice. Did manage 3 or 4 contacts of 1 foot juggling though, as well as this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRI-x_UUbz0[/youtube]

Another first

Edit : Caught some of the juggling practice

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjC_3VHBDo[/youtube]
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 18 Oct 2010 00:08

A video i made over the weekend. By putting all these drills on film i am putting some of them to bed so to speak, moving onto bigger or longer or BOP (or DOF) drills as Im trying for nearer the end. Otherwise, i fear ill be stuck at one-sided, not-even-guiltless for years to come :D

For those of you who dont want to watch repeated tiltless, please skip to 1:56 for some slightly better stuff :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmzpndljhPM[/youtube]
Ian Cozens

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 18 Oct 2010 17:05

Yeah Ian! Props on the DATW, drifter, the juggling, and the long tiltless drills.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Nov 2010 20:36

Damn dude, Your game has really come a long way since we first started talking to each other. Your 2-bag juggle looks better than mine. I still have trouble with it. But hell yeah, props on working your way up! Keep shreddin.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 28 Nov 2010 21:02

Did you lose weight? You look lighter on your feet. Nice DATW, and overall good work on the bothsided basics. One thing I noticed: on some of your pdx mirages, you pivot your hips really late. This has the effect that you're doing the pdx motion completely downtime, which makes the trick harder than it needs to be. Try and pivot towards the bag on the way up, so you only have to pivot back on the way down. Make sense? Keep up the good shred.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 29 Nov 2010 00:14

@Nick : Glad you like it :D 2 bag juggling is, in my opinion, the ultimate crowd pleaser, and something i really want to be able to do on command.

@Ken : Ive lost a bit, ive stayed probably a whole stone lighter since i started playing footbag. Im not actively dieting though, if i see something tasty, i eat it :D Thanks for the tips on pdx mirage, Its always felt a little uncomfortable a move for me but i figured i just needed to get used to the motions.

I have a new stack of drills ive been running through lately, 4 and 5 trick repeatable combos as opposed to 2 tricks. Its made playing tiltless freestyle a challenge again, and pushes my physical limits a lot more. Ive hit some great stuff recently (Alpine Atom Smasher springs to mind) but fixing the fact that I still drop on silly stuff like flip far switch about 50% of the time is a high priority.
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 07 Dec 2010 11:13

Session Highlights

:arrow: Lots and lots of long tiltless drill runs, 16+ contacts
:arrow: BOPs and clipper drills, getting really good runs of osis > ss clipper
:arrow: Pixie Atomic same Clipper... I think.... probably wasnt as clean as im imagining
:arrow: Lots more ducking bsos
:arrow: Gyro clipper bs

Nay bad.
Ian Cozens

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 07 Dec 2010 12:32

Awesome stuff, Ian. I love watching the vids on your YouTube channel. Your excitement at hitting new moves and your game's constant, steady improvement make me stoked to shred. More vids! :D
Mark Bull