Wyrmfyre's Blog - Size 12 Lavers?

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 06 Oct 2009 03:35

Even if we dont have an event set up for when your here, we should still arrange something!

On a side note, this just arrived

http://www.twitpic.com/kgy05/full

I WANNA STITCH!!!
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 12 Oct 2009 05:15

It sucks to go back to the daily grind after such a fun weekend, but needs must :S

Highlights....

Jamies lavers arrived really on Saturday morning. We took it as some kind of blessing from the footbag gods whoever he/she may be, and after cutting, relacing and ripping out the god awful insoles you get on these things we put in a hell of a session. By the end of the day I'd seen Jamie pulling of his first clippers, much cleaner inside stalls and kickless runs heading into the 15-20 mark. The end of the day also saw me still chasing the elusive ducking clipper Id been seeking.

Sunday ended up almost as more of the same, though by the end of the day I could say I have two ducks under my belt :D My problems once again come down to posture, so I focused on getting my back straight after the duck and pulling my body back clear and boom.... there it was, my first ducking clipper. I still need to go out with the camera and film it though to be absolutely sure, I cant say that my "independant adjudicator" was paying attention all the time :D

On top of that, I managed ton get 5 bags stitched up, which added to the one id already done brings me to six, with material already cut into panels for another 5 more. With luck, my filler will arrive tommorow and I can start to fill and finish them all and get some of them up for sale. Theres a lot of 12/8 blur bags, its probably my favourite design, but ive done a couple of 10/10s and two are something just that bit more special... you'll have to wait :)

WyrmBags FTW!
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 15 Jan 2010 12:53

... is in his kitchen, having what could possibly be termed as the first proper session this year... this side of christmas in fact.

Highlights?

Legover x 12
Shortness of breath
Regret for all the extra food and choc eaten over christmas.
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 28 Jan 2010 12:32

Ahh my blog. Long time no see. Well, properly at least, I can see I called in quickly earlier.

Ive been in something of a footbag slump recently. I could blame Call Of Duty:MW2 for being released. I could also blame the lack of local interest in this hobby leading to a drought of people willing to even try something new. I could even blame Christmas, but I wont, because then Father Christmas might not bring me anything next year and that'll make Ian a sad boy. The other two factors are the most likely culprits :roll:

But, christmas is done now, there is no more snow on the ground and not only is the great british weather bringing out a little sunshine, its also bringing Jamie back out of hiding (with a vengance it seems.... see below :) )

Ive decided that future blog posts will always come with a video where possible. As the best footbagger in the county of Lincolnshire at the moment (with it only being a tiny scene, i suppose as a fringe benefit I get to say that :D ) the only critic I really have is myself, so without further ado, i present over three minutes of the most trimmed down, one sided, legover infested, toe-bailing amateur footbag footage you have ever seen!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zjslgV_A5w[/youtube]

Oh, and thatsthe elusive Jamie, the UKs other footbagger, once again proving that even with the camera on, legovers are not even a challenge for him anymore.
Ian Cozens

the_8_bit_kid
Shredalicious

Post by the_8_bit_kid » 29 Jan 2010 06:18

Jamie! In a video! First time ive actually seen him play! Those legovers looks so sweet! Very neat. And does he have a fag in house mouth?!! Looking good anyway Ian. I recorded a vid over xmas while at my parents but dunno whether the edit it since i think ive improved quite a bit since them. Was gonna use it for people to crit,but ive sorted out a few of the probs I had since then.
Nick Sullivan
"Leicester? Is that near London? Have you met the Queen?"

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 03 Feb 2010 08:42

Ha ha, yeah he is. Isnt he just the picture of good health :D

Mind you I cant talk. I guess all the good bits of me in that vid happened to coincide with when I wasnt smoking :S

Sick to death of being a one sided monkey. Starting tonight im beginning a somewhat more intensive approach to practice, inspired by Anz' article on training programs, and covering all the basic ones and twos (and threes, once again, im ending up with a half decent strong side osis, piss poor weakside one).

As far as numbers go, Im not really sure what to shoot for. Im thinking on the lines of

:arrow: Warmup / Kicks / Kneebumps (as many as it takes to feel loosened up, basically)
:arrow: Toes and Insides (again, mainly just to warm up)
:arrow: Clippers... the real crux. As this is about consolidation and bringing my flip on par with my strong, i think im going to go back to basics and do 60 each side, but on the flip, do it to a handcatch for the time being.
:arrow: Legover x 60 b2b
:arrow: Pickup x 60 b2b
:arrow: Mirage x 30 (each side)
:arrow: Illusion x 30 (each side. gonna be a killer, i still occasionally kick myself in the support leg trying this :S )

Then, if im still feeling up to it after all that, Osi to handcatch.

Here endeth my brain splurge. Thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome!
Ian Cozens

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 03 Feb 2010 10:49

WyrmFyre wrote:Here endeth my brain splurge. Thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome!
A good suggestion I once got was "three times on the flip side for every one time on the strong side."

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 04 Feb 2010 08:53

I sort of apply that principal when im just going for strings. If i droop on the flip ill try to carry on from where it dropped. Doesnt always happen though, i get easily sidetracked :D

Didnt do the above in the end yesterday, went for ~2 mile jog instead. It cant hurt me to lose some weight in other ways. On showing my other half my most recent vid, her first comment was "aww bless, look at your chunky thighs" :S

I could do to drop a stone I suppose :D
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 09 Feb 2010 11:49

Mid way-ish through my first week of my new training schedule, and its working. Or at least, it feels like it is. There will be another video from me in another week or so, so we'll soon see.

I got some advice on my training programme from the man who wrote the article Ive been following, Anssi, and changed things up a little. Ive dropped Osis (and for the time being Illusion) from the list, and I school ATW, both directions, both feet at the beginning and end of my sessions. I will hold my hands up now and say I was a very naughty boy for not doing this a lot, lot sooner, shrugging it off as being a trick that I figured Id probably never use and therefore, was unimportant. I get it now though, its not just an excersise in dexes, but teaches you about balance and control. After this week is out, ill probably drop the second ATW set from my list and put Illusion back in but for now, im playing a bit catchup.

I wanna hug someone, this has been a good week for footbag :D
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 12 Feb 2010 12:52

Such a good week...

I had a night off drilling the bejeesus out of everything tonight and just went for some solo shred. I can now confidently throw flip clippers and butters into strings and trick back out of them which feels absolutely great. Im still padding strings out, having to recover my balance now and then with toes and insides, so though 20 tiltless is stil a way off, but im pretty sure im getting close to the 30's as far as contacts go.

Im also on somethign of a diet. Not so much a "lose weight" diet but a "cut down on the crap foods" one. My drink of choice was a redbull or two (or four), now its orange juice. I refuse to buy white bread and instead opt for browns or granary, and my morning bacon sarnies have been swapped with museli (though i discovered that most museli is loaded with extra sugar, probably to hide that brick dust taste) Anyone got some other healthy suggestions that dont taste like licking wallpaper? Im not a huuuuge fruit fan, but i think its time i opened myself to a brave new world, somewhere a bit further away from bananas and granny smith apples.

Goes without saying I suppose, but because of the changes, my energy levels are through the roof right now. My average session was probably about an hour, now i can easily stretch to 1:30 - 1:40, and i could do more but my kitchen floor is less than ideal being concrete underneath the smooth laminate veneer - though the mind and body are willing, my ankles completely disagree. I think im sticking to my list for another week, then im dropping legovers for something else. What, I havent decided yet, but id love to get into some uptime components if im not jumping the gun.

Matt, Nick, if your reading this, we need a session... and soon!
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 14 Feb 2010 09:19

Played solo again for somewhere around 2 hours today, nothing really drilled, just enjoying having a flipside i can use.

"invented" drills on the spot. Easy crap like :

clipper > near pickup rpt
butter > near pickup rpt

But i hit these several times, then managed them both sides in one string, them came sooooo so close to managing both sets twice through. Also ducking clipper > osis > near mirage to start a string which was a) quite cool and b) involved osis and therefore was against good advice ;) but its been a good week so i figured id earned it :D

Peace!
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 01 Mar 2010 11:45

Its been a nightmare with work lately and ive been a bit lax with the amount of time ive put into drilling. Had a few shreddy sessions over the weekend and though im still a few months behind on my flipside, i managed to get a few "ooooo"s out of Jamie, and even a "Niiiiiiiice" when i hit butter > osis > near mirage.

Yes, more osis, naughty me as I still cant get into double figures when it comes to consecutive clippers.

Another short shreddy session tonight, but two new tricks I can say Ive hit. The first was DLO from clipper, the second ducking butter. I need to have a proper rethink about the tricks I need to drill now. Im happy with legover and mirage both sides, and Im happy to at least try and throw in a midstring illusion. Pickup I can do both sides but consecs are a pain in the arse and perhaps something i need to commit to video for critique.

Peace
Ian Cozens

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 01 Mar 2010 12:46

Consecutive clippers bs will come. For my own example, took me forever to get decent at it, but practice over time got me there without even noticing.

Kudos on clipper dlo! A valuable trick to have under your belt, imo; once getting it under control, it's a 3 add that's relatively easy to link with other hard tricks.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 17 Mar 2010 11:20

Ive just been asked if I want to teach someone how to play footbag! I confess, im a little bit nervous, but at the same time super psyched! We've picked a local tennis court to play on, im already preparing the playlist for the day, all thats needed now is some decent weather and hopefully, a couple more people.

In other news, I have it on very good authority that theres a footbag jam taking place in the UK.... details are still sketchy, but watch this space :D
Ian Cozens

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Mar 2010 13:43

I like the idea of having a tournament (maybe even in name only) called either the "All England Championships" or "Royal something something". etc. England has so much potential for great tournament names.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 21 Mar 2010 06:01

@boyle : he he he, yeah that does have a ring to it. We'd all have tea and scones at half time too!

This weekend didnt quite go to plan. Yesterday (saturday) I was supposed to be at the local tennis courts teaching a beginner the basics, but the mobile number I had for him was wrong. To top it all off, the weather took a turn for the worst JUST as I was getting ready to leave, which in turn got Jamie down and he didnt want to go anywhere anymore, and, well... yeah the whole thing was a farce.

We did get a brief break in the rain though, and having watched Jays fantastic Schoolground video over and over again, I had to play, so we grabbed the camera, threw down the mat in my back garden, and this was the result.

http://www.vimeo.com/10322366

For those of you that dont mind missing audio, heres the youtube version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaCVP8_sho
Ian Cozens

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 24 Mar 2010 13:28

Do you guys consider a footbag unusable once it's touched the ground?
Matt Kemmer

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 26 Mar 2010 02:18

Matt K wrote:Do you guys consider a footbag unusable once it's touched the ground?
Most of the time when I/we play, we'll have about ten bags on the go. Although I have a choice bag (or two) I try not to favour any particular one too much. That plus we're all jsut plain lazy and dont like bending down too often :D

Kicked last night. It was right after eating, and I did very little warmup as J turned up out of the blue, so it perhaps wasnt the best session ever, but i made up and hit some new tiltless drills. Im listing them here as I can highly reccomend them to any beginners.

Pickup > ATW (in to out) > rpt
Legover > ATW (out to in) > rpt

And then reverse the dex for the ATWs in both of those. ATW may not be all that groundbreaking, but for me at least I found you have to stay much more controlled in your movements to do one fluidly out of any other trick. Also try Mirage > Legover and its counterparts.

Really want to start pushing the length of my string some more. 8 - 10 tiltless is about the norm for me if i try and keep it both sided. I could pad that out some more by doing half a dozen strong side tricks but it kinda feels like im cheating myself. Outdoor session tommorow, weather permitting. The holiday season has just started so this area starts to get busy. Im feeling much more confident about playing in public nowadays, though I am still put off by it if im going to be alone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedX64L_j9E[/youtube]

Edit : Almost forgot! Hit whirl from toe last night.
Ian Cozens

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 10 Apr 2010 10:10

Quick post. Have been playing for something like 4 hours today. Filmed for 45 minutes, caught the three short films that follow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEU-t86vhM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4jxvQmj62M[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF1iNYhB-rg[/youtube]

Sunny weekend, a new bag thats just broken in.... what more could a man want? :D
Ian Cozens

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 10 Apr 2010 20:20

You're game is coming along, props. Nice to see the osii & strings, and nice DLO. Is that your first 2-dex?