NBA Offseason thread 09-10

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 09 Jul 2009 14:50

mcdyess to Spurs...

DONNIE WALSH WILL YOU F'IN GET RUBIO ALREADY! TWOLVES ARE AWFUL JUST GIVE THEM NATE ROB AND JORDAN HILL
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 09 Jul 2009 18:26

Jannero Pargo (Former backup to CP3 in NOLA) is now a Bull. I fell in love with this guy during the 08 playoff's, and with Hinrich leaving for Portland as sounds likely, this guy will be a great compliment to Rose.

As for Kirk in Portland, it's supposedly part of a 3 way deal that would land Boozer in Chicago and Tyrus Thomas in Utah. This is obviously very beneficial for all teams involved, being that Portland needs a PG upgrade over Blake (Even though I'm a fan), Chicago need's an elite low post player, and Utah needs to clear cap room and also get rid of Boozer to give Millsap his minutes.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 13 Jul 2009 18:38

Fuck fuck fuck fuck. Word is talks with Lamar are falling through. I really like Lamar, but I don't think we're totally finished if he leaves. Our roster still has Pau and Bynum for big men, and who knows maybe Mbenga can play too. Odom is great and definitely a versatile player but he was far from the key ingredient on our team, and his play was often on or off as far as production.

If he resigns, this team is unstoppable. If he doesn't, we're just another contender along with the Magic, Celtic's, Spur's and Cav's.

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 13 Jul 2009 19:40

Idk, Dan. Even if you guys keep Lamar, which I thought you would since he doesn't want to leave LA, the Celtics look like the favorites to me.

Rondo, Shuttlesworth, Pierce, Perkins, Garnett with Rasheed coming off the bench? Are you kidding me?

Age is certainly a factor, but if these guys are healthy, I don't see anyone stopping them.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 30 Jul 2009 14:53

It's official Odom resigned for four years, the fourth as a team option. The offer he accepted is a few million less per year than the one that the Lakers had on the table a week ago.

Fischer
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum
Odom

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 01 Aug 2009 21:28

Tell me what you think of the changes to the raptors.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 02 Aug 2009 13:07

The Raptors changes should be good for the fans, not necessarily for the team though. They should be running a more uptempo offense but it will be interesting to see if they can win games.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 02 Aug 2009 21:18

Picking up Reggie Evans was a good move for the Dino's. He is far from an offensive firepower (And when I say far..) but his defense and toughness if what the Raptor's really need. He's the guy who's gonna call out teammates for not playing at their potential, and keep everyone focused.

Getting rid of Kapono was probably a good look as well. Delfino also is gonna stay in wherever the fuck he is, which I would be glad for if I was a Raptor's fan. I HATE Delfino. He was the only reason I ever had in the last 10 years to root against the Pistons.

Of course you also got Turkoglu (Whose name I can spell with ease). He is on the down slope of his career but is still an amazing player, and immideatly becomes the #2 scoring option. On the downside you did lose Marion in the deal, which is sad because I think he would've been THE perfect fit for the Raptor's.

In the draft you got a true stud, DeMar DeRozan (I never know remember if the first or last name is emphasized) who will be a star in the leauge. Freak athlete, amazing vertical, good inside and outside game.

The problem with the Dino's is the future. Bosh isn't sticking around after this season, and Turkoglu's stats have been diminishing for 2 years already. I'm sorry to say but this will probably be the team's best year for a long time to come. Hopefully you guys can fight your way in to a playoff spot Toronto fans deserve it.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Aug 2009 07:46

Thanks Dan, I always like hearing more perspectives on 'my' team rather than the local newspapers.

I am excited to have Turkoglu since he was way too often the final nail in the coffin in games against the Magic.

Oh and we picked up Belinelli, he's good sometimes too.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 05 Aug 2009 21:50

My pre-season Western conference playoffs predictions.

1. Lakeshow
2. Nuggets
3. Spurs
4. Blazers
5. Jazz
6. Mavericks
7. Clippers
8. Warriors

Lakers: Everything's ready for a repeat plus some.

Nuggets: They didn't do anything as far as trades, but they nabbed Ty Lawson in the draft who will make an impact backing up Chauncey. Whether they're "better" than the Spurs on paper is questionable, but I do think they will win more games.

Spurs: Gonna wait and see. Old team with some decent young backup players. Also not sure how Jefferson is going to fit but Popovich knows more than me.

Blazers: I'm afraid they'll step up this year. Man to man the only team I'm afraid of playing in the postseason. They are the young Lakeshow. If Oden doesn't step up (Which I think he will A BIT) Pryzbilla is another good option.

Jazz: Old reliable.

Mavericks: It gets tough around here. They have a starting five that would have certainly won a championship 4-5 years ago. Their bench is super suspect though.

Golden State: I like the guys. Their sucsess is totally dependant on their coach, but I like them in an abnormal way. I'm a man who likes his power forward play and this team doesn't have one unless that's what Biedrins is. They'll still be good

Clippers: That's right. A LA v LA first round of the playoffs. I actually think they'll probably finish 7th ahead of GS but I just want this series to take place so two opposite franchises in the same town can go at in the most epic of foregone conclusions.

So the real battle in my mind for the 8th seed will be between the Warriors, Suns and Hornets. After Nash and Amare, who do the Suns have? Robin Lopez? Richardson, Hill and Barbossa can play but I just don't think this team is ready. Plus we need some new blood in the west. The fact that I'm predicting Clippers 7th or 8th is testament to how shitty the conference is after about 6 teams.

The Hornets might surprise me but I doubt it. I like West and I like Paul but again where do you go from there? Straight down.

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 10 Aug 2009 07:41

I think JRich returns to his high level of play without Shaqtus slowing down the offense. I think he gets the green light to fire 3s again and I'm hoping to target him in every fantasy draft.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Aug 2009 22:18

Wow, I discovered this thread way late.

Anyway, I find this site to be one of the best sources of offseason NBA news, as well as the best advice I've found for fantasy NBA in general.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 02 Sep 2009 21:21

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/j ... index.html

Great article for anyone who thinks Artest wasn't a good pickup for the Lakers. References the guy who wrote "Moneyball"

Also here is the original article by Michael Lewis author of Moneyball, which of course is a fucking amazing read despite being longish. A gem for any true fan of the sport

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magaz ... wanted=all

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 12 Oct 2009 18:08

LAKERS GOT RON ARTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 10 Feb 2010 23:17

Raptors are four games back of the Celtics!

Celtics traded their entire future for 1 championship. I'm going to love growing old watching the Lakers surpass them in banners.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 15 Apr 2010 14:17

My Third Annual Modified NBA Playoff Predictions:

East

Cleaveland/Chicago: Lebron in 5 games

Orlando/Charlotte: Hm... Interesting. Magic in 6

Atlanta/Milwaukee: Atlanta in 4

Boston/Miami: Boston in 5

West

Los Angeles/Kansas City: The matchup I will be following most closely:
My lost love the Zombie Sonics going against my adopted team the Los Angeles Lakers (I will note in an effort to not seem like a fairweather fan that I adopted the Lakers in the 06-07 season of notoriety long before they got Gasol and turned things around). So while I'll be rooting for the Lakers wholeheartedly, I will be doing so against a team that I admire and would root for otherwise. I don't understand the urge of people to hate a team when it leaves their city, and plus it's hard to dislike a team like OKC. Lakers in 6 :O

Dallas/San Antonio: Dallas in 5

Portland/Phoenix: Phoenix in 6. Glad to see them doing big things again. How about Dragic their backup PG? Looks like a good future replacement for Nash.

Denver/Utah: Denver trashed my Lakers a couple time this season. Utah is good but I don't see any reason they're going to be able to get past Denver. Denver is undersized a bit in the paint but Boozer isn't huge either. Billups will be able to take care of Williams on the perimeter. I'll say Denver in 6

I imagine the Eastern Conference Finals will be between Cleaveland and Atlanta with Cleaveland winning. As for the West, I feel very unconfident in saying I think it will come down to Denver and Dallas? I just don't know if the Lakeshow can get passed Denver in the 2nd round. The Lakers got over-rated over the off-season

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 19 May 2010 21:24

From this thread last July
What's clear anyways, even as I said before free agency began, is that the Lakers/Celtics are likely next years Finals matchup.
Predicted

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 05 Jun 2010 14:17

LAAAAAAAAKKKKEEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSSSS

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 11 Jun 2010 11:19

BainbridgeShred wrote:LAAAAAAAAKKKKEEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSSSS
yeah how bout em?

if i was a lakers fan id be worried because most of the celtics starters arent playing anywhere near their potential on any given night and the series is still tied, bynum is probably now useless, and glen davis (yes, glen davis) is making guys 10 inches taller than him look like him in the 08 finals.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 12 Jun 2010 04:08

Gah I cant stand looking at Davis. He makes me mad lol
Its like he cant miss when he's under the basket, even in the face of Gasol and Odom.
Glad that Wallace got his technicals, he flew off the handle in Game 3 and they gave him the benefit of the doubt, but he cant help himself apparently.

Hope to see some Laker rebounds in Game 5, that killed them in the last game.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda