bdams kicky sack blog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

bdams kicky sack blog

Post by bdams19 » 20 Jul 2007 11:20

Whats up everyone? First things first, let me give my shred history. I started playing the kicky sack back in high school just for fun while we waited for the after school buses to take us to varsity games, but the best thing anyone could muster was probably a jester and I distinctly remember one of the best kickers calling the clipper the impossible stall (lol!).

Eventually, I found footbag.org and was pretty psyched to order a real footbag and try out all of the crazy tricks that I watched videos of for countless hours. My first real bag was a kanga 32 panel sand bag that I actually just lost a few weeks ago in Washington Square Park when I left it behind, but it was a huge step up from my guatamalan garbage sack. I hacked with one of my good buddies on and off and eventually ordered a super choice abshire 32 which was my pride and joy. We slowly improved but he lost interest and I couldn't find the drive to practice by myself all the time.

Fast foward to college where no one has even heard of footbag and some of my friends could be found circle kicking outside on beautiful days. I didn't want to be that kid who jumped in and started freestyling when everyone else was just trying to get a full hack, so footbag quickly took a back seat to my other interests. Still interested in playing, I signed up for the nyfa mailing list to try to spark the fire once again. Unfortunately, receiving emails was the extent of my involvement in the club and I never attended a single shred session. My lavers got thrown in the back of the closet and footbag slowly faded out of my life.

We resume this story going into senior year in college where upon I overslept a river rafting trip with my employees on a Saturday. Cursed by my bad luck (and retarded phone whose alarm was set and didn't work), I checked my yahoo mail and found out that Ken Somolinos was coming to Washington Sq Park to kick. I thought this was a great chance to save my day, which happened to be absolutely perfect outside, and see if I still had any gas left in the tank. I took the trip over to NYC and wandered around the park for a while until I could find a group of dudes in lavers.

It was great to kick again especially with guys who were as laid back and friendly as the NYFA crew. I don't know what it is about footbaggers, but when a circle forms the atmosphere is as if everyone has known each other for years. I had a great time, and kicking with players much better than me was truly inspirational. I was hooked again, and ordered a bag off of Waylon (who stiched it in no time but my weekends have been booked recently) in order to start schooling again. Hopefully I can get it from him this weekend if he is coming to shred in Wash Sq Park or Union Square or whatever.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. I'm going to keep updating because I find it keeps me motivated.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: bdams kicky sack blog

Post by C-Fan » 20 Jul 2007 12:13

bdams19 wrote: My first real bag was a kanga 32 panel sand bag that I actually just lost a few weeks ago in Washington Square Park when I left it behind, .
I think Bruce has it.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 20 Jul 2007 13:49

NYFA! Nice to see you have a bloggy here. Keep us at modified updated! :)

Oh, and I did post a picture of your bag at Bags & Equipment. It's on page 198 of the "Bags I've (any stitcher here) made" thread.

Here's a few pics to show you what you're getting:

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010041fz2.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010042ik3.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 043cf0.jpg
http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 044aw2.jpg
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 23 Jul 2007 21:32

A bunch of us met up at Washington Square Park and it was the usual crew of Bruce, Ken D, Ken S., Waylon, and Pascal came a little later. Each session back is feeling a little better than the last as far as consistency and string length go, but I'm still hitting mainly the same ol' bag of tricks.

New Moves:
I did seal what is a very awkward looking fairy ss rev whirl, or as it has been called "the slowest paradon ever." That was the first time I have ever hit that trick, which felt awesome. I also hit swirl when no one was looking on like the 5th try, I really have to relearn that motion. I also footed blur but it wasn't really close since my timing is way off after the stepping set (since all i have ever done are ripwalks the mirage footwork felt odd), but I am feeling much better about it now. I also started to work on some spinning stuff but all I can muster is a bail to toe. I have to work on height, footwork, and spotting the bag.

I'm still very surprised with the fact that I completely lost my pixie set and can now fairy set. This was especially puzzling since I could hit pixie ducking moves back in high school and I have never done a fairy set in my life prior to the session three weeks ago and I can nearly duck it. However, Fairy Spinning KILLS my knee. I tried to hit something crazy (more like stupid) and the MCL made a popping feeling (the one on the inside of your knee). I will not try that again soon although it seemed like a good idea at the time :roll: .

We ended up shredding for a while and then playing some four square, which was my first time being introduced to that game. It was a lot of fun and we even had a spectator join us for a couple of games and eventually some circle kicking. Ken Somolinos kept getting me out with his ridiculous psyche outs that left me yelling, "DAMN YOU KEN" nearly every few minutes. It was a good break from the normal shred and allowed everyone to catch a breather since it was pretty hot out.

Other highlights included us challenging Ken to hit combos toward the tail end of the session when we were all to worn out to keep shredding. He hit nearly every one the first or second try which was awesome, but when he tried to inaugurate my new Waylon bag with a fearless combo he dropped the last trick and so now it is forever cursed :lol: . On a more serious note, Ken did have a little slip up doing consecutive atom smashers and tangled his feet which caused his ankle to roll a bit. He was walking faster than me back to the train station though so I think he'll be ok with a couple of days rest.

I plan on schooling tomorrow in the gym, hopefully I can get some long tiltless runs in, which is ultimately my goal since no one likes watching someone who drops!
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 23 Jul 2007 21:42

Welcome back to footbag!

Keep shredding! :D
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 24 Jul 2007 14:11

disappointing sesh, the bag was still too rolly for drills and kept flying forward off of my toe. I did hit some weird symp whirly moves with it though that I don't know the name of and worked on my flip tiltless moves. The bag feels good overall and kicks well but I think it needs a few more sessions before it sits.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 24 Jul 2007 18:47

hey, just stopping by to say...

FOOTBAG!!!
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 24 Jul 2007 19:43

Haha FOOTBAG indeed!

Ordered another bag today since I don't want to kill my bags right away it only makes sense to start growing a collection (the huge kanga that takes the whole toe box doesnt count). I ordered an Eskimo Joe and that should be here by next week, which is conveniently when my summer internship ends and is a week before I leave for Europe (explained below), so I'll have plenty of time time to enjoy the rest of the summer while getting some shred in at the same time.

Today's session kinda sucked. It was 90+ in the gym because something happened to the heater and its been on for the whole summer. I played in the racquetball courts downstairs and it was brutal. I was dripping sweat after a couple minutes and had to quit after an hour. I'm gonna find a better spot on campus outside, which isn't really ideal for the bag but at least I have a great view of the new york city skyline :wink: .

I did a lot of kicking to break in the bag but its still gettin' there. Worked on consecutive toe flicks for a while to try and work it in and it should get there in the next couple of days. I've been kneading it in my hands all day at my desk and I just washed it since the floor was pretty dirty at the gym to keep it in shape. I hit symp whirl both sides and symp blender maybe? (back to front dex). Toes were rolly as I said so I didn't hit any of the drills that I was challenged to, which I really want to drill until they are automatic before I start moving too far ahead of myself. I also worked on some ducking clippers set from op side toe (would that be same toe since its the same foot?) and those are starting to feel a bit better but I still need the work all around.

It's 11:41 pm and I just watched a bunch of my favorite footbag videos. Living on the fourth floor in Hoboken sucks when you want to shred at midnight and will wake up the neighbors. Maybe on the roof? Hmm, I might be onto something...

Footbag!!!
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 24 Jul 2007 21:21

If there are any problems whatsoever concerning the bag that I stitched for you, feel free to let me know; I can most definitely stitch you a new one for you with a bigger size and a more convenient filler.

The price of a bag is not my biggest concern - it's the feedback and reaction that people feel about my bags. If it comes to it, I can stitch you a bag for free. :)
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 25 Jul 2007 07:01

I cant expect a bag to be ready to shred the first time I use it; I will definitely fill you in on how the progress is in one week. I certainly appreciate the customer service :D .

Also, anyone who wants to come shred with me in Hoboken is more than welcome! Although I play with NYFA during weekends in the city, it is very impractical to go to the city after work (which ends at 5pm, so I would get to Wash Sq at maybe 6:15-6:30). Plus, I need to drill! I can certainly understand that no one wants to see me drop flip around the world 10 times in a row, but if anyone can come to Hoboken during the week you are more than welcome to join me. Plus, there are some beautiful spots to shred, which reminds me that I have to get a camera soon to start tracking my progress.

If anyone else is in the bored at work crew, feel free to PM me! Additionally, I took that song off of the geico commercial where the caveman sees his own poster on the wall of the airport and walks back to see it (Royksopp - Remind Me, for anyone who is interested in downloading it) completely stuck in my head. I also made it my ring tone and alarm on my phone; it is so damn catchy.

Edit: Also, I have decided to finally mod my billion year old lavers. So far, the only thing I've done is the lacing method and I cut open the toe box. I'm going to have to remove the canvas on the insides and take the wings off the toe box. No more handicaps!

Edit #2 since I don't wanna keep bumping my blog: I forgot to mention that I figured out why my pixies sucked! I was trying to replicate the fairy motion (which explains why I can do fairies all of the sudden :roll:) except the reverse motion. I was setting the bag too quickly for my leg to clear it when I flicked my foot similar to the way I fairy set. Instead, I tried pointing my toes upward and making my foot more flat and BOOYA, pixie set. Still very rusty, and certainly non existent on the flipside, but a start nonetheless.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 25 Jul 2007 19:40

Put in another hour session today. Played at castle point, which is a great spot which overlooks the new york city skyline. Here is a picture of campus although I can't give you a first person view:

Bag was feeling better but my legs were still a little sore. I started to drill pickups, which feel pretty weird since I never do them. Worked on consecutive clippers on both sides, got six flipside and about ten strong side. Worked all the basic dexes, trying to get as many as possible. I haven't had the lengthy strings I was hoping for, but on the bright side I have much better control of my kicks. My stepping set is starting to feel better too.

My left foot infinity sucks. I get roll off constantly and its so frustrating. I feel like I have to super over crank just to prevent it. Practice makes perfect, right?

On a brighter note, drilling outside got me a ton of props by people passing by. I was really working on my form and style today; trying to keep my back straight, stay over the bag, and keep my footwork nice and smooth. I still have to modify my lavers since I never got around to it. Bleh.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 26 Jul 2007 05:42

My dog, Zack, is having surgery today to remove a large lump behind his front leg on the right side. I've had him since he was less than 1 year old and I love him so much. I'm really nervous and scared; I hope he'll be ok.

Love you buddy.

Edit:

FUCKING STOCK MARKET JDS:JFEIOFFDS:OIFJDS:F:SFS:DOJF:S

Edit 2: Looks like Zack is doing ok. He had 3 tumors removed as a precaution because they could become cancerous. He is now sleeping with his tongue out at the vet like he loves to do which I find hilarious.

Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 28 Jul 2007 16:59

Anyone have any dexercise tips besides set up a water bottle high enough and go around it as many times as possible each way?
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 28 Jul 2007 17:03

bdams19 wrote:Anyone have any dexercise tips besides set up a water bottle high enough and go around it as many times as possible each way?
Practice moves like atw and datw by setting the bag as low as possible.

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 30 Jul 2007 10:29

Sup modified? I took the weekend off for social activities and I didn't get to shred in central park with some polish players, strassman, and the rest of NYFA like I was hoping for because my parents decided to come for dinner around 2pm instead of 6pm like we had planned :evil: . However, they did buy me a sweet watch for my 21st birthday (which was the 18th) so I have no business complaining. I have to get it resized since it is too big right now, but certainly pics will follow.

I shred a little bit on friday after work but it was a short session that was fairly horrible for some reason. I couldn't link anything, I couldn't hit my tricks that are pretty dialed; pretty frustrating overall. I'm still trying to break in my Waylon bag but I'm beginning to think that the filler is too rolly. I don't know what it is but it never sets straight up from my toe, it always rolls forward. Who knows, maybe I'm just imagining things.

There are so many things going on right now, let's see what we got. First, this is the last week of my summer internship at UBS! Sweetness, it was nine weeks of building up my resume, which I must say looks pretty impressive at this point for a rising senior in college. I can't wait to have some free time during the week again to relax.

Second, eurotrip! I am so excited for this that my fingers are trembling and there are butterflies in my stomach like I am a little kid laying in bed wide awake on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa Claus to shoot down the chimney with a boat load of presents. I have only been to Europe once, and that was a 7 day trip to Barcelona (which is beautiful, facebook me to check out pictures) and I loved it. I'm staying in hotels and hostels and taking trains as my means of transportation from country to country, so I will have plenty of time to rest my hungover self between binge drinking in foreign lands with great people (not to mention their great beer).

I posted a thread in the footbag travels section and I have already gotten a few responses, which is pretty cool in itself. I can't believe I didn't think to post something about it sooner! Not only will I be able to shred with people from very different cultures, but they can also show me around the town and grab a couple suds at their favorite places. This is shaping up to be a pretty awesome time.

I'm planning to shred a bit today after work, but my ankles felt really bad doing paradox moves on Friday. I feel like the side to side shift of weight is just tearing them up. We'll see how they feel. Friday is almost here and I'm almost free from the man (he pays well though :wink: ) !

Edit: I need to modify my lavers! I still don't have a knife thats sharp enough to cut through the canvas. Super lame, I'm sure I can find someone who has a hobby knife or something but I tried to play McGuyver and use other things to cut it and that failed miserably. I was thinking about getting another ipod and a dock with speakers since all I have right now is my shuffle. Anyone have a good recommendation?
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 31 Jul 2007 12:01

Off topic: It is 4:00 PM, in an hour my company is taking all of the interns to the Yankees vs. White Sox game as part of an optional team building. Don't mind if I do! I almost hope we have garbage seats so when A-Rod launches his 500th home run into the upper deck I'll be able to catch it. Can you feel the history in the making?
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 03 Aug 2007 06:17

Random thoughts:

Today is my last day of work. Very niiice.

A-Rod is useless, team hits 8 HRs to tie a franchise record and he goes 0-5.

I need to stop drinking.

I need to play more footbag.

I had a dream last night and all I remember from it is hitting consecutive ducking paradox whirls. Man did that feel good.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 10 Aug 2007 20:00

So in order to procrastinate packing for europe, I decided to go to radioshack and get an exacto (precision) knife and rip the canvas off the inside of my lavers. So I did, and wow. I only did a few tricks since I'm in my apartment and its almost 12pm, but it makes a huge difference. Lets see how it works out at Wash Sq Park tomorrow when we have our last kick before the guys leave for worlds.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 11 Aug 2007 15:46

Session today felt good. I haven't played in 2 weeks and I haven't missed a beat. My weak butterflies are still giving me plenty of trouble as far as consistency goes but oh well. My style felt smoother and runs were feeling pretty good for a while until I felt too tired. My spinning was actually not too bad on both sides but I still can't do any tricks other than a toe bail. I did hit paradox illusion twice, symp blender, and fairy spinning toe for a few new moves; I also footed barfly and paradon (strong side obvious) but the weak left foot clipper failed me miserably. We had a pretty good session overall, circles were flowing pretty well and we had a good turn out.

In other news, EUROPE TOMORROW! I wonder what I'm going to do when I land in amsterdam.... :lol:
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 17 Aug 2007 12:56

amsterdam was so sick.

im in berlin with less than 30 seconds of internet. the fc footstars have been alot of fun and are very high level with their shred. thanks alot for plazing with me guzs!

edit- managed to buy some more time and i started practicing typing with the y and z reversed (which is impossible). I met up with the fcfootstar crew in berlin both days I was here thanks to Max and Paul. The clubs were insane, city was beautiful, and as predicted, i wish i had more time here! I hope to see you guys again sometime!

(the z and y are switched on the german kezboard)
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA