NBA Offseason thread 09-10

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

NBA Offseason thread 09-10

Post by bdams19 » 02 Jul 2009 18:16

Updates:

Zach Randolph to Grizz for Qrich to Clips
Pistons sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to 5 year deals
Lakers sign Ron Artest
Cavs sign Shaq

Discuss....

...Lakers are imba imo
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 02 Jul 2009 19:28

Is it official? Is Ron really going to LA? I might shed tears. Man this is fucking awesome

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 02 Jul 2009 19:43

Man it really is true. My words from the other thread:
Ron Artest is a top 20 NBA player for sure. His post game interview was pure class. Seriously a truely standup guy and a great basketball player.
1 Fisher/Brown/Farmar ???
2 Kobe Bryant
3 Ronald Artest
4 Gasol/Odom
5 Bynum

I hope you guys are enjoying my excessive fanliness because it's about to continue for a looong time

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 03 Jul 2009 05:38

Wait till 2010 offseason :wink:

Lebron and Wade to nyc

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 03 Jul 2009 08:46

It's like GM's think its 2010 already

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 03 Jul 2009 09:57

Ariza to the Rockets
Rubio is staying in Spain, which will allow the TWolves to get more lottery picks and retain the rights to him at the same time, which is actually a good thing. Rubio will most likely not ever play in Minnesota (who the hell wants to live there? No offense minny people), so they will probably end up trading him for a solid player.
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 06 Jul 2009 06:24

Sheed to the celtics
Kidd stays with the Mavs
Turkoglu looks to be headed to Toronto
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 06 Jul 2009 07:01

big baby davis to the spurs? damn...
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 06 Jul 2009 07:18

Wow... Is it just me or are these next two-three seasons going to be some of the most interesting in NBA history? I thought the last two were good...

Sheed has long been one of my favorite players. It's going to be hard watching him in a C's jersey.

Thanks for making this topic B. It was needed to say the least

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 06 Jul 2009 07:29

Lebron issues a statement on the signing of Sheed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFl-66WrF_o

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 06 Jul 2009 12:41

What's clear anyways, even as I said before free agency began, is that the Lakers/Celtics are likely next years Finals matchup. Both have made moves that greatly upgrade their team at a certain position (Artest over Ariza at 3, and Sheed over Cry Baby Davis at 4).

What's interesting is that these two guys are also two of my favorite players. Both are extremely intelligent players (You can say either of them jack up too many shots at times but both have been on teams their whole careers where they've had to) who are going upgrade their teams at each's respective weakness. Assuming I am that we will see a repeat of the 08 finals, how do these squads matchup?

1 Fischer
2 Byrant
3 Artest
4 Pau
5 Bynum
* Odom

1 Rondo
2 Allen
3 Pierce
4 Wallace
5 Garnett
* House

Christ, right? Of these 12, you have 10 potential all-stars. I know that's kind of a stretch, but 4-5 definitely will be there with a max of probably 7.

Let's start with what cost LA the finals in 08, softness in the post. Lamar Odom was 100% incapable of guarding Kevin Garnett at that point (And probably still is) and Pau was a man who had never seen a weight bench. Pau not having cared for the majority of the season definitely showed against Boston, and the contrast is the defense he played on Dwight a month ago. Bynum of course, is the question. He was an absolute beast for a stretch of a month or two during this most recent season, and if he can stay healthy and mentally prepared, the Laker's big men should be able to control Garnett.

The good thing, assuming LA doesn't lose any of its bigs to injury of free agency, is that Lamar Odom will get the task of guarding Sheed at the perimeter, where Odom is most comfortable guarding. Also, Sheed spacing the floor with a bunch of three's might not be such a good thing when you already have one of the best shooters ever doing the same thing in Ray Allen. Compound that with the fact that Allen himself will now be covered by Kobe Bryant, not Luke or Sasha like last year.

On Pierce will be our enforcer Ronald. I've heard a lot of people in the press talking about how losing Ariza for Artest is actually a let down offensively. Laugh. On some blog I read a good point on who would you rather have guarding Pierce/Lebron on a given play, Artest or Ariza? Easy answer.

The point guard position is now the Lakers #1 weakness. If we can hold on to Shannon Brown things will look a lot better, but regardless, Rondo is a great player (Albeit elevated by who he plays with) that hasn't reached his prime yet. Fischer and Farmar are both players that I have a lot of confidence in too, but I wouldn't want either of them starting for us in 2010-2011, or hopefully even in the 2009-2010 playoffs if Shannon can develop like I think he will.

Basically, Ron was right when he told ESPN he was going to "hoodalize" LA a bit, and that's what we need. He didn't mean he was going to go after fans in the crowd of break camera's, he just is going to continue to play how he's always played as a great defender. Which is precisely what we needed against Boston in the first place. Orlando was a good team, but they weren't the Celtics. LA wants to see if it's true that the Celtic's faithful bleed green. Ron will give us that toughness on the perimeter. With Kobe there, he will not overload on 3 pointers, and on the flip side Kobe wont have to expend so much energy on defense. I just want his fucking finger to heal.

Anyways, it's definitely premature to start finals predictions, especially with no one really knowing if Rondo, Odom, or Fisher will be back (I think it's safe to say that all will), but fuck it, it's LA and Boston. Given history, it's not an unsafe bet that these are the two teams we're gonna see. It's the two teams anyways that I want to effing see.

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 06 Jul 2009 13:00

allen iverson is still available! imagine him in LA ha

Orlando has no chance in my opinion. Vince Carter was a serious downgrade in my opinion. Turkoglu ran that offense. Orlando any chance? Your opinions?

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 06 Jul 2009 13:23

Just heard Grant Hill might be going to Boston. What would the average age of the Celtic's be then? 40?

And no, Orlando has no chance unless the go out and do something else.. A bunch of other teams have made moves to upgrade and they've downgraded.

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 06 Jul 2009 14:20

Footbagger007 wrote:allen iverson is still available! imagine him in LA ha

Orlando has no chance in my opinion. Vince Carter was a serious downgrade in my opinion. Turkoglu ran that offense. Orlando any chance? Your opinions?
Vince is definitely an upgrade from Hedo, but I don't think he fits the Magic style of basketball. He had a phenomenal season last year taking his age into account.

Jameer Nelson
Vince Carter
Rashard Lewis
Pietris (?)
Dwight Howard

That looks like a pretty solid line up to me
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 06 Jul 2009 17:15

The reason they cite for getting Vince is to have a go to guy at the end of the game... but wasn't Hedo that guy? Doesn't that seem poor to trade off one for the other lol
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 06 Jul 2009 17:26

i dont think vince carter will meche well with that team. dwight howard is going to be a beast soon! he is a fucking animal its only a matter of time. vince is a hinderance to howards development in my opinion. he is no longer a huge time thread so dont bring out the spreading the floor stuff ha.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 06 Jul 2009 17:54

Carter is a fine fit for Orlando imo.

Orlando's real problem is the amount of depth they've lost. Gortat, Alston, Turkoglu, Lee, Battie. They'll have a hard time next postseason

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 06 Jul 2009 18:27

Footbagger007 wrote:i dont think vince carter will meche well with that team. dwight howard is going to be a beast soon! he is a fucking animal its only a matter of time. vince is a hinderance to howards development in my opinion. he is no longer a huge time thread so dont bring out the spreading the floor stuff ha.
You really think Vince is not a threat from 3 point land? Do you recommend leaving him wide open?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUm-h_yb ... re=related

yea....

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjt5t31FDZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir0Xz4YtO2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNndzmhT7A8

=)
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 08 Jul 2009 22:00

Who see's the Spur's being the only team to compete with LA this year in the west?

The Nugget's have stayed pretty stagnant so far in free-agency while LA and SA upgraded. The only other team I can think of to challenge would be Portland if Oden plays signifigantly better, which isn't totally out of the realm of possibility. Kid just did his first post-surgery squat this summer afterall. This is also a team that swept the Laker's in the regular season and generally just matches up very well with LA position by position.

Spurs starting line up now looks like

1. Parker
2. Mason
3. Jefferson
4. McDyess
5. Duncan

with Manu and Dejaun Blair coming off the bench. This is a team that reminds me of the Celtic's in that they're going for it this year, hoping they can stay healthy. With Blair, Williams and Jefferson they are atleast prepping themselve's for the future as well. Blair's a player I like out of this draft. Hansborough's gonna be a decent player too, you heard it here.

bdams19
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by bdams19 » 09 Jul 2009 10:55

new developments:

Verajao gets 6 year 50 Mill with the cavs (LOL) and they also pick up Anthony Parker
Mavs sign both Marion and Gortat (gortat not official tho)
bunch of minor things
Brian Damato
My Blog
NYFA