Linux!

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Pinkus
Shredalicious

Linux!

Post by Pinkus » 13 Jun 2010 23:15

I started using linux around 95 or 96, using Red Hat, and became frustrated in the lack of hardware support. After using it about 2 years, I gave up and just went with Windows. Recently, I started up again, hearing good things about Ubuntu, so I gave it a try, and found it to be almost too easy to use.

With the recent reintroduction of linux into my life, I've tried out a couple of distros (BT4, Slax, Fedora). I also tried out FreeBSD. So now I'm once again learning how to configure my system, which is a painful task at times, but I can already see how much more freedom I have.

So my question is, who on modified uses linux, and why? I know we have software developers here, and lots of computer enthusiasts. Was just wondering if linux is popular at all with footbag players.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 14 Jun 2010 00:47

I personally dont, but I work with a guy who uses it on his day-to-day and work machine, and absolutely swears by it. I work as a website developer and i personally dont use it because I like to use (as near as I can to) what the majority of Joe Public uses.

That said, I would like to have a linux box in my house that i can use as a personal server/media hub, especially if I could get it to share with the other devices in my house.

Itll be interesting to hear which distro you recommend, especially if you discover anything interesting relating to media sharing :D
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Pinkus
Shredalicious

Post by Pinkus » 14 Jun 2010 11:22

If you just want something that will work out of the box (or .iso) then I'd recommend Ubuntu.

As far as networking linux <-> windows, you can check this out: wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

I believe that comes standard with linux. But as I mentioned earlier, I've been out of the linux loop for over a decade, so I'm not 100% sure on whether this answers your question.