New guy

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Hairytoes
Circle Kicker

New guy

Post by Hairytoes » 24 Jun 2010 11:12

Hey, I'm new. I've been kicking around a sack for a while now, like in a circle and stuff, but nothing serious. I'm currently kicking around a leaky sand filled 32-paneller that is about the size of a racquetball. I know now that its kind of a POS, but it got me started, and I only picked it for $2 at a local craft show (hoping to see if there is a stitcher around here that I can get a decent one from, and maybe try stitching some). I currently don't have any shoes for this, so I'm just baggin around in my socks for now. I can get about 50ish consecutive kicks consistently, and I'm starting to hit around the world about 50% of the time so um yeah, hi

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 24 Jun 2010 11:27

Just pm anybody in the bags you've made thread that has something you like. Also you can go to freedomfootbags.com.

Playing in bad shoes is probably easier and better than playing barefoot IMO.

Hairytoes
Circle Kicker

Post by Hairytoes » 24 Jun 2010 11:32

You might be right, but the only shoes I have ATM is some converse high tops and those rubber toe thingies make baggin feel a bit odd, might just be me though.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 24 Jun 2010 12:22

In the bags and equipment forum, there is something I wrote called "Bag Buyer's FAQ" or something like that. I think you should give it a read and see what you think. You might have to scroll down or get to the second page to read it.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Hairytoes
Circle Kicker

Post by Hairytoes » 25 Jun 2010 03:01

Right on, read the thread, and just have one question. About what size should I get. I saw the Bags You've Made thread, and I saw some that were bigger than golf balls, some more or less the same size as golf balls, and even some about the size of marbles. I think I saw someone say something here like you shouldn't get a smaller bag because that's meant for more advanced footbaggers.

Thanks for all the help :)

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 25 Jun 2010 03:11

Just experimment and you will find something you look. To be honest I have only been disappointed once with a footbag I purchased so just go with what looks good. But toanswer your question about golf ball size is fine.
I think it is fine for a less skilled/ newer player to use a small 32 panel.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 25 Jun 2010 03:23

Its true that a smaller bag can mean easier dexes, but really your choice of bag is going to come down to personal preference, and thats only going to come with practice, time and experience.

The best thing to do would be to find someone in your area who has or can stitch a bag and have a go.

Faling that...... as a beginner I would recommend you get yourself a golf ball or larger bag. If in time you find yourself struggling with double dexes, then yes, maybe consider a smaller one, but for now, just pick whichever one catches your eye the most :)
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Pirrotta
Shredalicious

Post by Pirrotta » 30 Jun 2010 13:57

Hey whats up everyone my name is Antonio Pirrotta, I just joined modified and i gotta say the community seems very freindly and theres alot of good info here. I was a circle kicker for about 4 years before i found out about freestyle footbag, Im 22 now and have been Shredding hard for the last few weeks putting in 5-6 hours a day. I was wondering if anyone Lives in Vancouver B.C or knows of any clubs or freestylers here. I have seen the kitsilano kickers on footbag.org but they dont look like there active anymore...

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 30 Jun 2010 19:17

Hey Pirotta...

You are in the direct shred zone of one of the elites...

Allan Haggett (modified name - AllanHaggett)

welcome to the club!

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 22 Jul 2010 19:27

allan lives in victoria, so not really... but there's some solid kickers in vancouver.
A.G.

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 09 Aug 2010 09:12

Thanks Mr. Grant, I knew Team Canada would jump in here eventually and help me out...

I actually learned at Worlds from Allan that he lives on a little strip hanging over Washington, which I guess would be Victoria ?

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 09 Aug 2010 18:32

yeah, that island just above washington is Vancouver island, and the major city on the island is Victoria. I know, it's alot of "V"'s. even i get confused some times.

But to the topic on hand, Caro B, Kevin R, London, and Alex V all live in Vancouver. get in touch with them bro!
A.G.

Chelsea Dagger
Circle Kicker

Post by Chelsea Dagger » 11 Oct 2010 19:05

Hey, I guess im the new guy (girl actually) now, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread to say hello.
I am a beginner for sure. I have dabbled a bit in the past few months, getting a couple kicks, learning the basic stalls, but now have the time to actually focus on my practice and improve. I have heard a lot of great things about this community and am really excited to jump right in.
~Reality continues to ruin my life.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 12 Oct 2010 03:19

Hi Chelsea!
My best suggestion for a beginner is to find someone who plays nearby and join their sessions, if at all possible. The internet is great and all but real life shred partners are indispensable.

Also, starting a footblog is a great way to get feedback.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein