Another newb in the game of footbag...

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Champ
Circle Kicker

Another newb in the game of footbag...

Post by Champ » 14 Sep 2009 14:21

Hello some, hello all, I am Champ. I've been doing footbag for a few months, and never got any good. I don't really know any names of tricks, or how to do them, so I'm still not any good. I have 3 footbags: a Sand Master, and two Hackey-Sack's (Wham-o) (Striker and Impact). I only know where my Striker is, so I've been using that the past few days. I plan to start getting good at this.

Anyway, how I started footbag. I do Myachi/handsack, and I bought a footbag to work on foot tricks. I worked at it a little bit, doing Myachi tricks with the footbag. Then I decided to try footbag as a footbag. I really haven't succeeded at that, though...

I am a member on the footbag.org forums, but they don't seem to be very active. This board seems to be more active so I decided to join here.

I'm planning on getting a pair of Lavers soon, possibly this weekend. I hope I enjoy my time here, and I hope you all can get to know me!

-Champ
Ed H.
Master of SKILLS

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 14 Sep 2009 16:53

Where are you from?
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 14 Sep 2009 23:11

Welcome to modified! Please note that emergency exits are located.... meh what am i saying, there are no emergency exits :twisted:

If your a beginner, you'd do well to read through some of the post in the Getting Started section, particularly the two stickied topics at the top. And let us know roughly where you live. You can learn a lot from reading this forum or watching vids on youtube, but you can learn twice as much if theres an experienced player in your area willing to show you the ropes.

Laters!
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Champ
Circle Kicker

Post by Champ » 15 Sep 2009 14:43

I live in Buffalo, NY.
Ed H.
Master of SKILLS

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 15 Sep 2009 16:26

fuck ya!! dude, you gotta come out to play with the RFA, in Rochester! nothing pushes your game like playing with people who are more experienced! Also, you must know about the scene at Bidwell Park on sundays?

nice to hear about another area kicker! you should update your profile to include your real name in your signature and your location!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 15 Sep 2009 16:42

Buffalo? WTF? Move to Pittsburgh.

Kidding.

I plan on going somewhere up north before the end of the year.
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

Champ
Circle Kicker

Post by Champ » 15 Sep 2009 16:44

Well I'm only 12, not sure how my mom would like me meeting up with people over the internet :?
Ed H.
Master of SKILLS

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 15 Sep 2009 16:53

hehe, good point... well, tell them THESE people aren't from the internet, you just heard about them on the internet.

Bidwell park is a nice, mid-city public park, right on elmwood. The kickers will probably meet there at the park for a few more sundays, while the weather is nice. Maybe ask your mom and dad a couple days ahead of time if they'll take you to bidwell park for a few hours because you heard there's people to kick with. They often meet a bit later in the afternoon. If you show up around 3:30 or 4, then you should find them.

Most of these people are at least 10 years older than you, so I could see that making you uncomfortable...

I read your other thread about it being hard to find kickers, and that's true. it's especially hard to find decent kickers (or even remotely fun ones) at your age group. Just keep your head up, practice on your own, do everything on both sides, and keep telling yourself that once you're just a little bit older, you can use footbag to meet a whole bunch of awesome people and have a whole bunch of fun.

I got into kicking when I was a little older than you, and I've loved it the whole time! If only I was so lucky to find out about freestyle at age 12!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 16 Sep 2009 05:48

wow thats unfair man, i have been looking for someone to play with for way too long now, and have i found anyone yet?? nope >.< and he is invited to play with matt cross at a scene..

Matt you started playing at 12 years old? 0.o.. thats amazing; and its amazing that Champ is twelve and he's starting.

anyways good luck champ, it is always more fun to play with someone else, i have been practicing by myself for a while now, and the random times with other people are awesome. also watch matt cross's video's on youtube, he will give you the link. he tells you how to really modify your shoes, some uptime sets, and he has some video's of him playing, and he can play legend of zelda on guitar really well xD.

later

`Cory
Cory Allen
My Footblog

ThisIsFate
Multidex Master

Post by ThisIsFate » 16 Sep 2009 17:08

Tell your mom you are going to meet some hairy guys you met on interent, and going to work something out with him in shorts. :)
kungho

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 17 Sep 2009 07:11

jeeze way to scare another person away from footbag. why dont you tell him that most people refer to what we play with as balls and we affectionatly call them bags, i think that would be really affective in growing the sport.
Zachary Morgan

rSSn
Hack Fiend

Post by rSSn » 27 Sep 2009 07:44

I only "discovered" footbag at age 22, so uh - if you're genuinely interested Champ, I would recommend using this chance to come train with experienced people, while you're young and fast.
That's a whole decade more than I ever had. :oops:

If you need permission to go outside and meet with footbaggers, talk to your parents about the sport and show them some videos, competitions, to reassure them that this is a fun and safe activity. Yes, most players you meet will be older than you, but you are going out to do sports with responsible and interesting people, so give it some thought before dismissing the idea. Good luck man! :oops:

P.S. Plus guys like Matt Cross are not "from the internet", they're totally real and chill - you can look up his instructional videos on YouTube and see that he's just a nice dude, not out there to rob and kill novice players, lol. :oops: